• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does rest of the state feel the same way? I mean if he hadnt bailed on Detroit, he probably could coast his way to victory methinks.

I don't think most people are aware of what's happening to Detroit tbh. Detroit doesn't have a sales tax thanks to an agreement in which the state is to match the revenue...and they haven't matched it. The city is literally being starved while smaller (whiter, republican) suburbs around Detroit receive their matching funds.

FyreWulff

I was listening to NPR in the car a bit ago and they were talking about a flood of Syrian refugees into Turkey that were fleeing violence and it got me to thinking.

Whenever you hear of a mass of people moving across borders in say Africa or the middle East they are always called refugees. However, when various new sources and pundits and politicians in America talk about the flood of children from Central America coming across our borders to flee violence, they are called illegal immigrants. Very rarely does the news call them refugees.

I just think it's fascinating how just changing up a single word completely changes the context of the situation immediately when they are essentially the same thing.

Same thing with renaming "bombings" to "strikes"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird that none of the senate prediction models seem to be taking into account Taylor being off the ballot yet. They maybe waiting for polls to apply it to their models, but they could at least mention how much this changes things.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with the polling in Colorado? Is Udall up by 4? Down by 8? Tied? It's completely erratic.

That Udall down by 8 came in the same poll that said Democrats were down by 6 in the Iowa senate race. I can see the possibility that the democrats are down in either of those states, but not that they're down by that much. The Udall down by 7 poll today also has Grimes down by 10 in Kentucky. Both seem to be clear outliers.

In other Udall related news, McCain has a semi-endorsement for udall.

Good news for Udall or 11 dimensional chess by Republicans?

Wilsongt

Oh for fuck sakes. SC teatards getting involved in the AP history exam attack. Fuck them. Students don't need a white washed look at history.

The RGA attacked the Dem here in South Carolina for being a defense attorney, also. It's not an unusual concept to attack.

It's pretty common, really. Actually takes more than a few seconds to refute and there's an instant association of the candidate with "bad thing"

Expect it to happen to Hillary pretty heavily if she runs

I did not see that coming O_O

He's an 80 year old guy from a culture that was even more sexist than standard American culture. Not exactly a shocker, even if he held the correct policy positions.

But, as a special message to the "Rand Paul is going to say he's against war and cause Hillary to lose every anti-war voter in the world" folks...

paul-clinton.png

Doves prefer Clinton to Paul and vice versa among hawks. Mainly, because of course, most American's don't give a shit about foreign policy.

Tamanon

Banned
Why would a hawk like Rand Paul? I think people just don't actually know who he is. They just know him as that guy that goes against the President a good amount.

benjipwns

Banned
It's pretty common, really. Actually takes more than a few seconds to refute and there's an instant association of the candidate with "bad thing"

Expect it to happen to Hillary pretty heavily if she runs
You mean like the time she forced that Benghazi witness to be raped and then made fun of her for being 12 years old?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I saw the Expendables 3 and they made a reference to BENGHAZI!

Now I don't feel so bad for it bombing.

Southern states are now the epicenter of HIV/AIDS and are struggling due to lack to Medicaid.

The original face of AIDS was that of a middle-class, often white, gay man living in New York or San Francisco. That picture has changed over time as people of color have become disproportionately affected by the epidemic. Today, the face of AIDS is black or Latino, poor, often rural — and Southern.

Southern states now have the highest rates of new HIV diagnoses, the largest percentage of people living with the disease and the most people dying from it, according to Rainey Campbell, executive director of the Southern AIDS Coalition, a nonprofit serving 16 Southern states and the District. Fifty percent of all new HIV cases are in the South. And the HIV infection rate among African American and Latina women in the South now rivals that of sub-Saharan Africa. In some Southern states, blacks account for more than 80 percent of new HIV diagnoses among women.

States in the South have the least expansive Medicaid programs and the strictest eligibility requirements to qualify for assistance, which prevents people living with HIV/AIDS from getting care, according to a coalition report. In the South, Campbell said, people living with HIV have to reach disability status before they qualify for aid. This is significant, because nationally the vast majority of HIV/AIDS patients rely on Medicaid for their health insurance, according to research conducted by the Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta.

None of the nine Deep South states with the highest rates of new HIV/AIDS diagnoses — Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas — has opted to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. Those states also have the highest fatality rates from HIV in the country, according to the coalition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...l?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

He's an 80 year old guy from a culture that was even more sexist than standard American culture. Not exactly a shocker, even if he held the correct policy positions.

But, as a special message to the "Rand Paul is going to say he's against war and cause Hillary to lose every anti-war voter in the world" folks...

paul-clinton.png

Doves prefer Clinton to Paul and vice versa among hawks. Mainly, because of course, most American's don't give a shit about foreign policy.
Its a rational response to bipartisianship (two party governance) and first past the post voting. You can't vote for domestic and foreign policy separate. So what your seeing is hawks vote for Paul because they realize that majority of the things they agree and the same for doves and clinton. Voters are very rational.

Elections are first and foremost domestic affairs.

benjipwns

Banned
I saw the Expendables 3 and they made a reference to BENGHAZI!

Now I don't feel so bad for it bombing.
Did it really bomb?
As of September 17, 2014 The Expandables 3 has grossed $38,565,235 in North America and $151,100,000 in other territories for a worldwide total of $189,665,235
This is about the same rate as the first two films through a month-ish and they're going to make a fourth one...

And what do you expect. Like half the cast is Republican: Stallone (who writes them), Statham, Lundgren, Grammer, Davi, Gibson, Arrrrnald, Snipes is probably one in spirit...

Last movie had Willis and Norris too.

Oblivion

Did it really bomb?

This is about the same rate as the first two films through a month-ish and they're going to make a fourth one...

And what do you expect. Like half the cast is Republican: Stallone (who writes them), Statham, Lundgren, Grammer, Davi, Gibson, Arrrrnald, Snipes is probably one in spirit...

Last movie had Willis and Norris too.

Well, it did bomb domestically.

And wow, you're right. There are a ton of Republicans in there. You sure about Statham though? Cause if so... :(.

benjipwns

Banned
Actually, I'll take back Statham, I thought he was but then I remembered he's English. So he might be a Tory or something.

The second movie made like 70% of its money overseas, China really loves old action stars I guess.

HylianTom

Banned
To continue the "big" campaign story of the past few days..
n-MARY-LANDRIEU-large570.jpg

Mary Landrieu Says Keg Stand Haters 'Need To Get A Life'

Landrieu helped a Louisiana State University fan do a keg stand on Saturday during a tailgate ahead of the Tigers' game against Mississippi State.

The senator received a bit of scrutiny for the stunt from Republicans on Twitter, including National Republican Senatorial Committee strategist Brad Dayspring who tweeted, "Chaos at home, chaos abroad and Mary Landrieu is doin kegstands."

Landrieu shrugged off the critics Monday.

“They need to get a sense of humor, and they need to get a life -- it’s just the way we roll,” she said, according to Roll Call, adding that the fan doing the keg stand was a 28-year-old LSU alumnus with a master's degree in business.

She's been getting pretty glowy soft coverage from local media over the past ~48 hours as a result of this one little act. If this was calculated, it was smart. At the very least, it's been entertaining.

benjipwns

Banned
Does nobody ever ask these spokesman what the Senator/President/whoever SHOULD be doing? Even if it's a bad idea, they should at least have some of what is acceptable. Kegstands? Not acceptable. Golf? Not acceptable. Appearing on talk shows? Acceptable? Getting those creepy and awkward tours of factories while wearing hard hats? Acceptable?

She's been getting pretty glowy soft coverage from local media over the past ~48 hours as a result of this one little act. If this was calculated, it was smart. At the very least, it's been entertaining.

Of course it was.

lol Brad Dayspring

biggest whiner in politics

Wilsongt

Those damn Democrats and their voter intimidating tactics!

An armed militia group in Wisconsin plans to confront people who signed the petition to recall Gov. Scott Walker (R) at the polls on Nov. 4.

The "Wisconsin Poll Watcher Militia" will check the names of those on the petition and will then seek out the Democrats on that list, according to Facebook exchanges viewed by Politicus USA.

"Please private message us names of people you know are active voters and wanted on warrants. We can get our agents to watch their polling location, identify the individual, and then follow them to their residence. A call the police and they will be picked up for processing," the Facebook message read.

The group is using the website Put Wisconsin First to identify petition signers who have outstanding arrest warrants and those with tax defaults.

According to Politicus USA, the Facebook page for the group featured pictures of African-Americans, but the group denied that they are targeting blacks.

"We can assure you that we will be targeting all democrats, not just black ones," a Facebook message read, according to the Capital Times. "If you think we meant blacks only it is because you are a racist who thinks the only people with warrants are black. We know better because we have a nice list of people who are wanted democrat activist types. Most are actually white. We will target everyone."

Oh, well. Seems perfectly legal and legit. Carry on, WI Republicans.

So Maddow has literally become the reverse of Fox cheerleading of war, its annoying to watch. There's a filter she puts every piece of information and states outright falsehoods (that there is no legal authority for Iraq strikes for example, she clearly hasn't read the Iraq AMUF)

Hayes is much better about clearly personally being against the conflict but not letting it turn into cheerleading for no military force.

Also, Fox is clearly laying the ground work for blaming Obama if there is an attack on America or Europe.

Oblivion

So Maddow has literally become the reverse of Fox cheerleading of war, its annoying to watch. There's a filter she puts every piece of information and states outright falsehoods (that there is no legal authority for Iraq strikes for example, she clearly hasn't read the Iraq AMUF)

I've noticed you've been complaining a lot about liberals over the past couple of weeks.

What ails you, APK?

I've noticed you've been complaining a lot about liberals over the past couple of weeks.

What ails you, APK?
Being a war hawk is stressful I guess.

Not a huge Maddow fan but I'll take "cheerleading" for no war over cheerleading for war, and the propaganda attempt to turn ISIS into Galactus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom