• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
is there a place I can read up on all this?

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. Jon Chait has a pretty good summary, but if you want something more detailed I'll get back to you:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/09/have-republicans-finally-gone-too-far-in-kansas.html

I'm not complaining about liberals, I complain about everyone.

I'm a liberal, I just hate a lot of the time how liberals pretend they don't fall into the same traps as conservatives that and the echo chamber is boring. Maddows show has become not a place to get news but for her to present as inaccurate a world view as the McCain's of the world. She ignores facts and states mistruths, why is it bad to hold that to the same standard as you hold FOX? I even in the same post complimented hayes for having the same views as maddow but not presenting a distorted view of events.

I just am seeing more and more liberals adapt unthinking postures, dogmatic beliefs and creating closed off media ecosystems.

The wisconson thing a few posts up, that's WDN level stuff if it was new black panthers based on some idiot facebook thing. Benji would post that has a mock story with the comments here on bizzaro world gaf

I'm against the idea of criticizing liberals because that takes away attention from conservatives doing dumb shit as well as providing them with more ammo against liberals. Do you want people like Bill O'Reilly using you as a cudgel to attack democrats?

"Even far left, ultraliberal neogaf poster, APKmetsfan, thinks Rachel Maddow has gone too far!"

NOT THE ONION. I REPEAT. NOT THE ONION.

Goddamn it, Heracles.

He's gonna start driving me towards Norse mythology if he keeps this shit up.

I'm against the idea of criticizing liberals because that takes away attention from conservatives doing dumb shit as well as providing them with more ammo against liberals. Do you want people like Bill O'Reilly using you as a cudgel to attack democrats?

"Even far left, ultraliberal neogaf poster, APKmetsfan, thinks Rachel Maddow has gone too far!"

1) this is neogaf, i'm not a talking head or being published

2) I really think not holding any kind of standard to "our side" is pretty shameful and against what liberalism is supposed to be about. Its the old ends justify the means but if you don't criticize them I don't know how you even are going to get to the means. You seem to be creating a bubble in which conservatives are always wrong and liberals are always right even when they're not. That's not a recipe for liberal/progressive change and won't win over people

3) conservatives do more dumb stuff, I'm not taking anything away from that.

Joe Molotov

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ar-president-111235.html?hp=t1_3#.VCHOW5RdXh5

With his new offensive against Islamic State terrorists in Syria, Barack Obama has a chance to revive his presidency, but the only way he can do that is to become a brand-new president, one who will be almost unrecognizable to his supporters. Obama must go from being the president who was elected to end wars—his most treasured self-image—to the president who finally leads one effectively. And he must now do it in two countries where for most of his presidency he has most resisted getting more deeply involved—Iraq and Syria.

All Obama needs is a good war to boost his poll numbers and Win the Morning.

PPP released Arkansas and Alaska polls and they're not good. Pryor's losing by 5, Begich by 2. The Alaska one is still close enough that I think Begich can win, but ugh, starting to think Arkansas is lost.

Amazing to think before 2010, 3 out of 4 of their representatives and both senators were Democrats. Pryor didn't even have a Republican opponent in 2008. All it took was one black president for the South to completely lose its shit.

The good thing is losing the South was a long time coming anyway. Might as well get it over with in an election where it doesn't really matter.

Crisco

Banned
22.00 Obama is meeting with representatives of the five Arab nations - UAE, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, and Bahrain - who joined in last night's strikes in Syria. The meeting athe Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York also includes the new prime minister of Iraq.

Incoming Obama-phate. This was his plan all along.

Good news in Iowa at least. Absentee ballot requests have nearly doubled since 2010, and registered Democrats make up 52% of those requests compared to 27% of Republicans. This was a crucial part of Obama's strategy in 2012 and I've heard the state party in Iowa has been going in hard pushing people to vote absentee to avoid another 2010 scenario.

Good news in Iowa at least. Absentee ballot requests have nearly doubled since 2010, and registered Democrats make up 52% of those requests compared to 27% of Republicans. This was a crucial part of Obama's strategy in 2012 and I've heard the state party in Iowa has been going in hard pushing people to vote absentee to avoid another 2010 scenario.

Its been a huge push in FL as well, midterms aren't really about pushing policy or changing minds, its getting people to the polls.

Someone like Webb would have been a great candidate in 2004 or 2008. Maybe not as much now although I still think he could be a decent VP pick (Warner would trump him realistically).

APKmetsfan said:
Its been a huge push in FL as well, midterms aren't really about pushing policy or changing minds, its getting people to the polls.
I'd say that's true for certain presidential elections as well - 2004 and 2012 in particular. I believe Romney and Kerry actually won independents by slight margins, but it didn't matter since turnout was so high for Democrats in 2012 and Republicans in 2004.

Sam Wang feels the Senate will come down to Iowa, Colorado, Arkansas and Louisiana, with KS going to Dems/Orman and GOP picking up WV/SD/MT. If Democrats just win two (and convince Orman to caucus with them), they win. I feel okay about those odds.

Someone like Webb would have been a great candidate in 2004 or 2008. Maybe not as much now although I still think he could be a decent VP pick (Warner would trump him realistically).

I'd say that's true for certain presidential elections as well - 2004 and 2012 in particular. I believe Romney and Kerry actually won independents by slight margins, but it didn't matter since turnout was so high for Democrats in 2012 and Republicans in 2004.

Sam Wang feels the Senate will come down to Iowa, Colorado, Arkansas and Louisiana, with KS going to Dems/Orman and GOP picking up WV/SD/MT. If Democrats just win two (and convince Orman to caucus with them), they win. I feel okay about those odds.

That trains passed

I might be more inclined to agree on Arkansas, but Louisiana is a big question mark until the runoff. The results on election night will absolutely influence what happens there.

No, it's not. Barring some shift it's pretty clear the GOP has the senate, based on recent polls. WV/SD/MT plus Arkansas, Louisiana, and Iowa. And I still think NC goes red but polling isn't in my favor there, yet.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think we're past the point where Pryor can win in Arkansas. It will come down to Iowa/Alaska/Colorado, and I feel good about 2 of the 3.

No, it's not. Barring some shift it's pretty clear the GOP has the senate, based on recent polls. WV/SD/MT plus Arkansas, Louisiana, and Iowa. And I still think NC goes red but polling isn't in my favor there, yet.

So, your assessment is based off recent polls except when it's not based on recent polls?

FWIW, historically the polls in Sept are very predictive of the Senate election.

If the polls don't flip by the end of the month, chances are they won't on election night, either.

That's not to say a 1-2 point lead is safe, that relates to more significant leads.

Um all of Louisiana's polling is close. Unless you're talking about the Fox News poll which was bullshit because it screened out anyone who didn't vote in the 2011 gubernatorial election which had less than 20% turnout.

ivysaur12

Banned
#thisisme #KrystalBall

SbVif6W.png

Alaska is pretty impossible to predict. Polling has shown some violent swings. It's also a small state which pollsters struggle to find large samples so it has a large MoE.

We probably won't really know what happens in Alaska until the election itself whereas other states should probably be known in about 3 weeks for certain.

Alaska is pretty impossible to predict. Polling has shown some violent swings. It's also a small state which pollsters struggle to find large samples so it has a large MoE.

We probably won't really know what happens in Alaska until the election itself whereas other states should probably be known in about 3 weeks for certain.

I'm really curious about the Non-white vote there. They seem to be something the pollsters can never predict.

#thisisme #KrystalBall

SbVif6W.png

This is isn't hard to believe but I'm not sure about KS and IA. Still that split means barring some really really weird stuff the senate reverts back in 2016

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still sticking with my 53-47 prediction though right now I expect to be off by one seat (AR).

CO and IA are not going red.

You're not worried by the PPP poll with Begich down by 3? I thought you liked PPP and there's not really any other recent Alaska polls that say anything different, unless you count a labor union and a democrat super pac as trusted polling sources.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm really curious about the Non-white vote there. They seem to be something the pollsters can never predict.

This is isn't hard to believe but I'm not sure about KS and IA. Still that split means barring some really really weird stuff the senate reverts back in 2016

I'm really confident in KS. Less so about IA, but we'll see how the next few weeks of polling go.

pigeon

Banned
I think:

CO: Udall (D hold)
NH: Shaheen (D hold)
AK: Begich (D hold)
AR: Cotton (R pickup)
KS: Orman (I pickup, caucus with D)
IA: Braley (D hold)
GA: Purdue (R hold)
NC: Hagan (D bad news)
LA: Cassidy (R pickup)
KY: McConnell (R hold)
MT, SD, WV R (R pickup)
All others hold

= 49 Republicans, 48 Democrats, 3 Independents (Orman, King, Sanders).

Dems keep control.

You're not worried by the PPP poll with Begich down by 3? I thought you liked PPP and there's not really any other recent Alaska polls that say anything different, unless you count a labor union and a democrat super pac as trusted polling sources.

Alaska is famously difficult to poll. There have been very few polls there and that PPP polls shows 12% of likely voters undecided. I think you could probably argue that Sullivan is the favorite, but I think Alaska will break for the incumbent.

just 6 weeks earlier, it was basically flipped.

MoE of nearly 4 with a 3 point lead. No one above 45%. Only other polls are also by Yougov (not accurate IIRC) and Ras.

Alaska has parts of the state that are hard to poll.

All I'm saying is Alaska is a hard place to poll and with a low population, things that shift very quickly.

I also think people need to recall that the Presidential election and Senate are very different in terms of reliability of polling. The Presidential election basically has a new poll every day out for a long time. It's a shit ton of data points. There's also numerous battleground state polls.

Senate polls are far and few between, in comparison. Especially in smaller states.

This is a large reason why Silver and others are trying to throw "fundamentals" into the models. To make up for this lesser amount of data points.

I think it's safe to say we just don't know what will happen in Iowa or Alaska yet. We have a feeling in Kansas, Colorado, Louisiana, ND, and others but are unconvinced and are certain of others.

FWIW, if I had to bet today on how the election will go if it were held tomorrow, I'd agree 100% with pigeon (51-49 and those state breakdowns).

But things can change. Could even improve for Dems. Could get much worse.

Jooney

NOT THE ONION. I REPEAT. NOT THE ONION.

Damn Kevin Sorbo must be desperate for that cottage industry money.

Is this even a real argument. I can't tell anymore. This sounds like the bizzaro version of Reagan's 11th commandment (Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
All I'm saying is Alaska is a hard place to poll and with a low population, things that shift very quickly.

I also think people need to recall that the Presidential election and Senate are very different in terms of reliability of polling. The Presidential election basically has a new poll every day out for a long time. It's a shit ton of data points. There's also numerous battleground state polls.

Senate polls are far and few between, in comparison. Especially in smaller states.

This is a large reason why Silver and others are trying to throw "fundamentals" into the models. To make up for this lesser amount of data points.

I think it's safe to say we just don't know what will happen in Iowa or Alaska yet. We have a feeling in Kansas, Colorado, Louisiana, ND, and others but are unconvinced and are certain of others.

FWIW, if I had to bet today on how the election will go if it were held tomorrow, I'd agree 100% with pigeon (51-49 and those state breakdowns).

Funny, isn't adjusting for Alaska's polling history and saying you think things will improve over time both examples of the fundamentals you seem to dislike so much?

Also being within the margin of error does not mean there's no confidence in who's leading, just that the confidence doesn't quite reach 95%.

I'm concerned, but as pigeon said there are all sorts of caveats that come with Alaska polling. The undecided makeup is actually pretty good for Begich, more moderate and Native American (groups already going for him).

I find the Arkansas poll more troubling and I'm beginning to think Pryor will lose, although I don't know if it's a completely lost cause yet. Lean R sounds right.

pigeon

Banned
Funny, isn't adjusting for Alaska's polling history and saying you think things will improve over time both examples of the fundamentals you seem to dislike so much?

Also being within the margin of error does not mean there's no confidence in who's leading, just that the confidence doesn't quite reach 95%.

I think Mamba is actually specifically saying that fundamentals are a reasonable response to a lack of data, which isn't really present in a Presidential race but is a problem in Senate races, especially in states like Alaska.

1. I never said I didn't like the fundamentals. I said some are putting in fundamentals and others are going strictly by polling and we'll see if maybe one appears to be right or now. I'm not against the fundamentals in models, I just don't know if they'll be proven right (my own inclination is that they aren't accurate but I like the idea of testing the hypothesis).

2. I never argued things will improve over time. I said they could improve or they could get worse (which isn't really me saying anything at all).

3. They're not examples of the fundamentals. At least the one the models are basing things on.

4. I didn't mention anyone being within the MoE. I said the polls coming out of Alaska have a high MoE. Big difference.

My only question regarding the fundamentals is if the forecasters grabbed the right fundamentals. I do believe if you have the correct assumptions, it's proper to include that into your model. The issue is whether these guys have and my inclination is to think they've missed some. But who knows? No one, right now.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
1. I never said I didn't like the fundamentals. I said some are putting in fundamentals and others are going strictly by polling and we'll see if maybe one appears to be right or now. I'm not against the fundamentals in models, I just don't know if they'll be proven right (my own inclination is that they aren't accurate but I like the idea of testing the hypothesis).

2. I never argued things will improve over time. I said they could improve or they could get worse (which isn't really me saying anything at all).

3. They're not examples of the fundamentals. At least the one the models are basing things on.

4. I didn't mention anyone being within the MoE. I said the polls coming out of Alaska have a high MoE. Big difference.

My only question regarding the fundamentals is if the forecasters grabbed the right fundamentals. I do believe if you have the correct assumptions, it's proper to include that into your model. The issue is whether these guys have and my inclination is to think they've missed some. But who knows? No one, right now.
I apologize. There's been a lot of complaining about fundamentals in this topic in the past and I guess I thought you were part of it. My bad.

just 6 weeks earlier, it was basically flipped.

MoE of nearly 4 with a 3 point lead. No one above 45%. Only other polls are also by Yougov (not accurate IIRC) and Ras.

Alaska has parts of the state that are hard to poll.

My opinion it is this:

LA is guaranteed to be a runoff. If Dems come out on top after the election with 50 seats (counting independents and not counting biden) then there's no point to Republicans dumping a ton of money into the LA senate race after that, since it won't get them a majority. Dems definitely will, since every seat they can get helps tremendously when trying to build up a supermajority in the senate in 2016. Republicans will be massively outspent in that runoff and Landrieu will hold on to it.

I think:

CO: Udall (D hold)
NH: Shaheen (D hold)
AK: Begich (D hold)
AR: Cotton (R pickup)
KS: Orman (I pickup, caucus with D)
IA: Braley (D hold)
GA: Purdue (R hold)
NC: Hagan (D bad news)
LA: Cassidy (R pickup)
KY: McConnell (R hold)
MT, SD, WV R (R pickup)
All others hold

I'm on board with this, minus what I said above. Alaska OR Iowa could go R in this case as well and it wouldn't even matter. Dems hold on to the senate majority, GOP abandons LA as pointless in the runoff.

Obamacare's store is going to be a bit more crowded this year.

The number of insurers set to sell health plans on Obamacare exchanges in the upcoming open-enrollment period is 25 percent higher than for 2014, as 77 issuers jump into that market, federal officials revealed Tuesday.

Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell said the boost in insurers willing to sell the new form of health insurance starting Nov. 15 is "a real sign that the Affordable Care Act is working."

The 77 new issuers will be joining insurers that sell plans in 43 states and the District of Columbia where data about insurance participation was available, HHS said. Those states include the 36 states whose residents bought plans on the federal Obamacare exchange HealthCare.gov, as well as eight states that are operating their own health exchanges.

HealthCare.gov will get the lion's share of the new insurers: 57 more than this year, a 30 percent increase that will bring the tally up to 248 issuers.

But the eight exchanges run by individual states and the District of Columbia will see just a 10 percent net increase in the number of insurers: just six more than this year, bringing their total to 67 issuers.

HHS noted that four states out of the 36 on HealthCare.gov—Indiana, Missouri, New Hampshire and West Virginia—will see at least double the number of insurers that sold plans there this year. And 36 states nationally will have at least one new insurer.

Of the states with available data, just one, California, is seeing a decrease in the number of issuers, from 12 to 10. Despite that decrease, California's market is considered one of the most successful of the Obamacare exchanges, with both the highest number of total enrollees of any state, 1.4 million, and the second-highest percentage of sign-ups among the eligible population at 42.7 percent.

Doom! The ACA is doomed!!!!!!!!!!

It's not all roses, however.

A new poll out this week by the Transamerica Center for Health Studies found that 22 percent of uninsured Americans did not obtain health insurance this year because "they were not aware of the individual mandate to obtain coverage" or pay a fine equivalent to up to 1 percent of their income. Another 43 percent of uninsured respondents to the same poll had not even heard of the Obamacare exchanges, which are they only places they can buy health plans and get federal subsidies that in many cases offset the cost of their coverage significantly

Bah!

More info here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102025396#.

He said our pilots had courage not courtesy and that is true, but he is still a mean poopyhead and we shouldn't support anything he does

You know guys, winning Nevada and Arizona in 2012 would have been really cool. There'd be no worry about losing the Senate this year. Nevada was won by 11,000 votes for christ's sake

Question Poligaf (and please no snark): Is it generally accepted the US was involved in the Ukraine Revolution ousting of Viktor Yanukovych?

Well . . . we know that the ambassador passed out some bread to the protesters.

But what do you mean 'involved'. There was no military involvement. The leader wasn't assassinated . . . so what exactly did the USA allegedly do? Give encouragement?

The dude quit the Senate. (Well, decided not to run again.) No . . . you had your chance.

no one realistically thinks they have a shot at taking hillary out, nor would they really want to.

Running puts you in the public eye and in good position for VP with a strong showing, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom