• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

|OT| Republican Wave of 2014. Still bad news for Kay Hagan.

|OT| Republicans are iStock photos, too.

|OT| The SCOTUS has 99 cases, but gay marriage ain't one.

Owzers

I don't get what Obama and the coalition are doing when it comes to ISIS, are we letting ISIS take over that Syrian/Turkish border town Kobani to pressure Turkey into sending ground troops to fight? Because if not, we just suck at everything.

Do you know the biggest country that commits honor killings per capita? India, which is majority Hindu. How come you never hear about it? Here, this one happened yesterday. Do you now think Indians are "ugly people" too? "Large percent" of Muslims are not fine with honor killings. Not sure where you're getting your information from. How often have you heard of honor killings from Indonesia? Or Malaysia? Two largest predominantly Muslim countries in the world. Read this

Adultery is impossible to prove in Shariah without confession or if it's an orgy, and Apostasy has been historically tied with allegiance to the Muslim state. It's been less than 100 years since the Muslim Caliphate was abolished, followed by different regions in the Caliphate colonized by the great Imperial powers and other "enlightened" western countries.

I think Hinduism is an ugly religion as well. And there have been plenty of reports about honor killings in India and the rampant, institutional misogyny that reigns there. As I said earlier, Islam is not the only religion with backwards views on a variety of issues, especially women.

The poll was done by Pew last year. http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/

Crisco

Banned
I don't get what Obama and the coalition are doing when it comes to ISIS, are we letting ISIS take over that Syrian/Turkish border town Kobani to pressure Turkey into sending ground troops to fight? Because if not, we just suck at everything.

This is what I've been thinking. We're essentially telling Turkey to get in the damn fight because we aren't defending their borders for them.

bananas

Banned

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We Just Suck At Everything

Jooney

It's metamorphing time.

Supreme Court docket

Justices Take Cases on Redistricting and Judicial Elections

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Thursday added 11 cases to its docket, including ones on redistricting, judicial elections and discrimination in housing and employment.

The court, which will return to the bench on Monday, took no action on seven petitions urging it to hear cases on same-sex marriage. The cases it did agree to hear will be argued this winter and are likely to be decided by the end of June.

The court will continue to add cases in coming weeks and remains likely to accept one or more same-sex marriage cases.

The redistricting case will consider the fate of an independent commission created by Arizona voters in 2000 in an effort to make the process of drawing congressional district lines less partisan. The court’s decision is likely to affect a similar body in California.

The Supreme Court also agreed to hear a case on judicial elections, Williams-Yulee v. the Florida Bar, No. 13-1499. It is a challenge to bans on personal solicitations of campaign contributions by candidates for judicial office.

Thirty-nine states elect at least some of their judges, and 30 of them ban personal requests for money. In upholding Florida’s ban, the state’s Supreme Court said it was needed to protect the integrity of the judiciary and public confidence in the judicial system.

Federal appeals courts are split on the issue. Four of them, collectively covering 23 states, have struck down solicitation bans based on the First Amendment.

The Supreme Court also agreed to hear a pair of discrimination cases. One of them, Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. Inclusive Communities Project, No. 13-1371, seems likely to produce a ruling on a question that civil rights advocates have worked hard to keep away from the justices: whether claims under the Fair Housing Act require proof of intentional discrimination.

The court had twice agreed in recent years to resolve whether proof of “disparate impact,” shown through statistics, is instead sufficient to establish discrimination. But both of those cases were withdrawn before the justices could rule.

benjipwns

Banned
Re: India, they have violent Buddhists too to go with the Hindus. I don't think religion is the common variable in mankind's evil.
Islam /= islamism and I think spec mixes that and when you come from the maher type atheism you tend to conflate the two far too much.
Islam itself is quite a bit more openly politically conscious than most religions, but most people haven't even heard of Islamism or understand the distinction. One reason Bush's "we're not at war with Islam" speech pissed off so many.

In that one thread a few months ago we had (Western) Muslims not even know who Qutb was and he's like the freakin Marx of it all. (In more ways that one!)

That said, I do think some people are more than happy to conflate the two. And make distinctions for others they like better. Because well, people always do that with all sorts of things.

Jooney

reposting on new page because I think it's important.

---

It's metamorphing time.

Supreme Court docket

Justices Take Cases on Redistricting and Judicial Elections

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Thursday added 11 cases to its docket, including ones on redistricting, judicial elections and discrimination in housing and employment.

The court, which will return to the bench on Monday, took no action on seven petitions urging it to hear cases on same-sex marriage. The cases it did agree to hear will be argued this winter and are likely to be decided by the end of June.

The court will continue to add cases in coming weeks and remains likely to accept one or more same-sex marriage cases.

The redistricting case will consider the fate of an independent commission created by Arizona voters in 2000 in an effort to make the process of drawing congressional district lines less partisan. The court’s decision is likely to affect a similar body in California.

The Supreme Court also agreed to hear a case on judicial elections, Williams-Yulee v. the Florida Bar, No. 13-1499. It is a challenge to bans on personal solicitations of campaign contributions by candidates for judicial office.

Thirty-nine states elect at least some of their judges, and 30 of them ban personal requests for money. In upholding Florida’s ban, the state’s Supreme Court said it was needed to protect the integrity of the judiciary and public confidence in the judicial system.

Federal appeals courts are split on the issue. Four of them, collectively covering 23 states, have struck down solicitation bans based on the First Amendment.

The Supreme Court also agreed to hear a pair of discrimination cases. One of them, Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. Inclusive Communities Project, No. 13-1371, seems likely to produce a ruling on a question that civil rights advocates have worked hard to keep away from the justices: whether claims under the Fair Housing Act require proof of intentional discrimination.

The court had twice agreed in recent years to resolve whether proof of “disparate impact,” shown through statistics, is instead sufficient to establish discrimination. But both of those cases were withdrawn before the justices could rule.

I think Hinduism is an ugly religion as well. And there have been plenty of reports about honor killings in India and the rampant, institutional misogyny that reigns there. As I said earlier, Islam is not the only religion with backwards views on a variety of issues, especially women.

The poll was done by Pew last year. http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/
Yeah well Hinduism doesn't sanction honor killings either. Its people doing tribal shit. I am well aware of the Pew poll as well as the Gallup poll of Muslim attitudes worldwide, and I am not seeing widespread majority support of Honor killings, despite the fact that they are not Islamic (or Hinduist for that matter). I see violence and backwards shit in violent and backward, autocratic countries.

Jooney

lol they did? You got a link handy?

Court Blocks Parts of North Carolina Voting Law

North Carolina's law has been fiercely criticized by voting rights advocates

Updated at 10:05 a.m., Oct. 2

A federal appeals court on Wednesday blocked parts of a sweeping North Carolina voting law from taking hold ahead of this year’s midterm elections.

The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a lower court’s decision to allow provisions of the law that eliminate same-day-registration and the casting of out-of-precinct ballots. The appeals court on Wednesday still allowed other portions of the law to stand, including the cut of seven early voting days. But in a 69-page opinion Wednesday, the appeals court said an August decision by the lower district court to allow the full law was flawed.

The decision comes just weeks before the early voting period is set to begin in the Tar Heel State on Oct. 23. “The right to vote is fundamental,” Judge James Wynn wrote in the majority opinion. “And a tight timeframe before an election does not diminish that right.”

bad news for such and such.

benjipwns

Banned
Democratic Voter Fraud Spreads to Ferguson
More than 3,000 people have registered to vote in Ferguson, Mo., since the death of Michael Brown — a surge in interest that may mean the city of 21,000 people is ready for a change.

Since a white police officer shot the unarmed black 18-year-old on Aug. 9, voter registration booths and cards have popped up alongside protests in the city and surrounding neighborhoods. The result: 4,839 people in St. Louis County have registered to vote since the shooting; 3,287 of them live in Ferguson.

The city's population is two-thirds African American; five of its six city council members are white, as is its mayor. The St. Louis County Election Board does not record the races of eligible voters, but many believe the increase is a sign that Brown's death has spurred renewed interest in politics and might mean more blacks will vote in the upcoming election.

Yeah well Hinduism doesn't sanction honor killings either. Its people doing tribal shit. I am well aware of the Pew poll as well as the Gallup poll of Muslim attitudes worldwide, and I am not seeing widespread majority support of Honor killings, despite the fact that they are not Islamic (or Hinduist for that matter). I see violence and backwards shit in violent and backward, autocratic countries.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm in the camp that blames the Middle East entirely for their issues - UK colonialism and US fuckery is largely to blame (same applies to Africa). But Islam doesn't help. Just as Christianity has had an ugly impact on the US since day one to justifying slavery to this day.

benjipwns

Banned
Time for this guy?
Ross-Perot-Jr.-IMG_0284.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Wilsongt

Gotta love how Greta from Fox News is calling Obama childish for his statement about their constant attack on The ACA. He just told the truth.

Wilsongt

Scalia needs to fuck right off just as much as many of the GOP.

The separation of church and state doesn’t mean “the government cannot favor religion over non-religion,” Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia argued during a speech at Colorado Christian University on Wednesday, according to The Washington Times.

Defending his strict adherence to the plain text of the Constitution, Scalia knocked secular qualms over the role of religion in the public sphere as “utterly absurd,” arguing that the Constitution is only obligated to protect freedom of religion -- not freedom from it.

“I think the main fight is to dissuade Americans from what the secularists are trying to persuade them to be true: that the separation of church and state means that the government cannot favor religion over non-religion,” the Reagan-appointed jurist told the crowd of about 400 people.

“We do Him [God] honor in our pledge of allegiance, in all our public ceremonies,” the conservative Catholic justice continued. “There’s nothing wrong with that. It is in the best of American traditions, and don’t let anybody tell you otherwise. I think we have to fight that tendency of the secularists to impose it on all of us through the Constitution.”

Earlier this year, Scalia joined the Supreme Court’s majority opinion in Town of Greece v. Galloway, which held that the New York town could continue opening legislative sessions with sectarian prayers.

Scalia has since used the case to press for the approval of public prayers in schools, legislatures and courtrooms.

In June, Scalia criticized the Supreme Court for declining to review Elmbrook School District v. John Doe, a case in which the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit ruled that a public school district's decision to conduct graduation ceremonies in a church violated the Establishment Clause.

In a dissent joined by Justice Clarence Thomas, Scalia argued that “at a minimum,” the Supreme Court should remand the case for reconsideration, noting that “the First Amendment explicitly favors religion.”

On Wednesday, Scalia also criticized members of the Court who champion a more evolving, “living” view of the Constitution -- a judicial philosophy he has previously said only an “idiot” could believe.

“Our [the Supreme Court’s] latest take on the subject, which is quite different from previous takes, is that the state must be neutral, not only between religions, but between religion and nonreligion,” Scalia said on Wednesday, according to The Washington Times. “That’s just a lie. Where do you get the notion that this is all unconstitutional? You can only believe that if you believe in a morphing Constitution.”

If Americans want a more secular political system that guarantees those distinctions, they can “enact that by statute,” Scalia said, “but to say that’s what the Constitution requires is utterly absurd.”

In another public appearance on Wednesday at the University of Colorado Boulder Law School's annual John Paul Stevens lecture, Scalia compared his efforts to restore constitutional originalism to the challenges faced by "Lord of the Rings" protagonist Frodo Baggins.

“It’s a long, uphill fight to get back to original orthodoxy. We have two ‘originalists’ on the Supreme Court,” Scalia said, referring to Thomas. “That’s something. But I feel like Frodo … We’ll get clobbered in the end, but it’s worth it.”

If a Republican gets elected in 2016, you can kiss any sanity on the Supreme Court goodbye.

Snake

Scalia needs to fuck right off just as much as many of the GOP.

What a hero he is to stand up against Obama's black riders. From the heartlands of Rohan to the small business owners of Bree, all Real Middle-Earthers are proud of our Supreme Court.

The funny thing is the fear of Islam completely ignores the largest Islamic countries like India, Indonesia and turkey or the millions of Muslims in the UK, Canada, US voting for secular parties like the Democrats, NDP and Labour.

Like I said before the problem is Islamism which is a political ideology that justifies it self from the religion but isn't the religions fault as the billions who don't subscribe to it can attest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom