• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
If Kasim Reed, mayor of Atlanta was on your presidential wish list....

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

jbmc2diMl1xuDM.png

Guy is going to be roasted all week.

I don't get it. :/

This in addition to Cruz's ridiculous WSJ op-ed and the ridiculousness of last night.

basically, the GOP has now formulated a strategy to pain Obama as an emperor.

So let me get this straight . . . the people who have abused the fuck out of the filibuster and gerrymandering are going to try to make the guy who has used fewer than average executive orders as some dictator?

Makes perfect sense (in the Fox bubble).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't get it. :/

The entire South has been shut down by what amounts to a relatively small storm. Basically the guy bragging about how they were ready for the snow screwed up massively.

So let me get this straight . . . the people who have abused the fuck out of the filibuster and gerrymandering are going to try to make the guy who has used fewer than average executive orders as some dictator?

It's not even shocking anymore. It's just an advancement of an old, failed, strategy.

Last night Jack Tapper called Cruz out for calling him an emperor and such. Tapper told him he has, to this point, done less executive orders than Bush, Clinton, Reagan and Cruz while at first looking befuddled then argued "it's not the number it's the content of the orders" or some shit.

They're still talking about the HHS delaying the employer mandate and such, which has precedence and even the SCOTUS has upheld such agency leniency (basically the rule is something in the law can be delayed for legit reasons so long as it's not indefinite).

Another hilarious part of that interview was him arguing Obama won't do things like repeal the medical device tax. He literally said Obama is unilaterally stopping it and that already got voted on the Senate and passed, then 10 seconds later literally argued Harry Reid won't allow a vote on it and then that Obama has again unilaterally blocked it.

It was such a mess. Their arguments are so contradictory and absurd.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Go look at some pictures in the Snowmageddon thread.

The entire South has been shut down by what amounts to a relatively small storm. Basically the guy bragging about how they were ready for the snow screwed up massively.

They were, in fact, not ready for the inch of snow. See the weather thread for HILARIOUS pictures.

Some people spent 10+ hours in traffic.

Not Atlanta but hilarious in that HOW IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE

BfLRsJwCMAAnT1J.jpg

Oh wow, yeah, I haven't really been near any media in the past few days.

It cost me over $10 to ship the Angry Birds 3DS game from Chicago to Oklahoma City via UPS. Truly is a blessing that we have the efficient private sector to curb the bureacratic USPS.

I will never get why people hate the USPS.

Those Germans have shown how unions, when run properly, can be useful and improve morale and productivity. And despite good wages, they have low unemployment in Germany. We can't have that.

I mean what is next? Lots of solar and wind like they have in Germany? Are you crazy?

Germany also has a constant stimulus in the form of a trade surplus where we have a huge drag on our economy in the form of our trade deficit (which the government could, but does not, make up for in spending).

That's not meant to suggest that trade surpluses are good and trade deficits bad, by the way. Trade deficits represent a net inflow of real goods and services (i.e., real wealth), whereas trade surpluses represent a net outflow of real wealth. It's just too bad that our government does not pick up the slack created by the trade deficit by either reducing taxes on the middle class (like eliminating the payroll tax) or increasing spending.

Karakand

Those Germans have shown how unions, when run properly, can be useful and improve morale and productivity. And despite good wages, they have low unemployment in Germany. We can't have that.

I mean what is next? Lots of solar and wind like they have in Germany? Are you crazy?

Eh, don't believe the hype.

http://www.spiegel.de/international...eater-gap-between-rich-and-poor-a-830972.html

It cost me over $10 to ship the Angry Birds 3DS game from Chicago to Oklahoma City via UPS. Truly is a blessing that we have the efficient private sector to curb the bureacratic USPS.

I have to walk into USPS branches a lot to mail documents to taxing authorities and there is ALWAYS that one person in line who has a bone to pick with the USPS, looks for something to complain about, and then turns to me for intellectual reinforcement because I look like a white man. Narishkeit.

I like how Tom Cotton (AR-4, the most prominent Republican running against Pryor) was the only member of the Arkansas delegation to oppose the farm bill.

Good luck selling that one

Diablos

Because they don't seem to understand that it is essentially the federal Government's fault that they can't reform their prices/policies properly. This has been a disaster 10-15+ years in the making. It's bullshit.

Chumly

You have no idea.

I know dozens and dozens of Joye Davises - farmers completely oblivious to the stupidity and fundamental hypocrisies of their political views, specifically when it comes to government spending.
Yep it's truly unbelievable. My entire extended family is from the farm community. The ignorance truly knows no bounds. It's not just my family either. It's almost everyone. They will literally sit there and tell you that farmers are hard workers and deserve help but some person in th city working at McDonald's is a lazy piece of shit.

No, he's raising it for federal employees and federal contractors. If you have a contract with the govt you must pay at least $10.10.

The federal minimum is unchanged.
But he did kindly ask businesses and states to increase minimum wage because congress has their head up their asses.

Piecake

or you know they were aware this is how it would play out?

I really don't think that makes much sense. They co-sponsored it, but after some heat and seeing the polls they are putting in some caveats like wait till after negotiations, this helped it, give peace a chance, etc? None of those are good reasons to have cosponsored the bill since not cosponsoring it and not voting for it would have been the best method to achieve those aims.

I really don't think that makes much sense. They co-sponsored it, but after some heat and seeing the polls they are putting in some caveats like wait till after negotiations, this helped it, give peace a chance, etc? None of those are good reasons to have cosponsored the bill since not cosponsoring it and not voting for it would have been the best method to achieve those aims.
You don't see how putting their name on the bill helped them even if they weren't for the bill? If the bill started moving they always could have withdrawn it. I just see nothing that was harmful to them about signing the bill, only upsides since the issue polls well and there are vested monetary interests in the issue. Is it cynical? yeah, but welcome to congress US Politics.

They co-sign many bills. They sign, issue a press release, get on the local news or fund-raise off it and then forget about it.

I will say the outside pressure has probably done a lot too. There is a lot of pressure not to act and not pushing it to the president to possibility take the fall

Harry Reid gives another one to the liberals
At issue is a bipartisan bill to extend the President’s “trade promotion authority (TPA),” which lets him negotiate giant trade deals with other nations while allowing Congress only to vote up or down on those deals but not amend them. Most Republicans and big business groups support the bill, believing it will lead to more trade agreements and open more markets for U.S. goods. But many Democrats and union groups oppose it, arguing past trade deals led to job losses.
Basically, quite a few liberals and union group advocates were against the TPA bill, and the bill was certain to be passed by the Congress. Until today, when Reid threw cold water on it's passage.
“I’m against fast-track,” said the powerful Democrat who controls which bills get to the Senate floor. “I think everyone would be well-advised not to push this right now.”
But guess who is pushing for this bill? His name rhymes with "cock us"
The bill is a priority of Sen. Max Baucus of Montana, a centrist Democrat who chairs the Finance Committee.
Baucus, who was recently tapped to be the ambassador to China, is expected to leave Congress soon, leaving uncertain the fate of trade bill.

Sibylus

Banned

Still ridiculous Obama had to state repeatedly the bloody fucking obvious before some of these got the picture that maybe, just maybe, that going over his head and those of his diplomats was premature and ultimately counterproductive. Maybe it's all for show. Not sure how that's supposed to make the games any less unpalatable.

Harry Reid gives another one to the liberals

Basically, quite a few liberals and union group advocates were against the TPA bill, and the bill was certain to be passed by the Congress. Until today, when Reid threw cold water on it's passage.

But guess who is pushing for this bill? His name rhymes with "cock us"

Its DOA in the house too.

Georgestate

Freedom

Anacostia

Good luck getting those in NW to associate with that.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Finally, some Republicans who actually have some principles:

"I really don't need it or want it right now," said David Petersen, 52, a registered Republican in Walla Walla, Washington. A construction manager who has gone without insurance for years, Petersen could purchase insurance on his state's exchange for about $200 a month.

People who decline to purchase insurance risk a fine of $95 or 1 percent of their income. Knowing that, Petersen did go online and search for a plan. But he decided, in the end, that he'd rather risk the fine.

Cheryl Mooney would qualify for a subsidy that would reduce the price of a policy for herself and her husband to $150 per month from about $1,300.

But the 55-year-old, who lives in North Carolina and is "against Obamacare absolutely," said she might not buy it. "Even with that, I'm not happy," Mooney said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...republicans-idUSBREA0S18K20140129?p=BREA0S18L

I mean, they're still unbelievably retarded, but at least they're consistent.

So Bill O'Reilly was pushing back against the equal pay for women thing. He and his guests kept coming back to a talking point about how women take more time off from work for kid reasons, and so that explains why they make less money. So does the $.77 to $1 statistic take into account the reduced experience women might have? I thought it did but I'm not sure.

I have to walk into USPS branches a lot to mail documents to taxing authorities and there is ALWAYS that one person in line who has a bone to pick with the USPS, looks for something to complain about, and then turns to me for intellectual reinforcement because I look like a white man. Narishkeit.
In my local USPS one of the workers there was bitching about government regulations and how USPS was being tied down so much that it couldn't make a profit. Some old white guy was there and laughed and shook his head. He hated big gu'ment.

Actually after last year's election Angela Merkel's government was forced into entering a "grand coalition" with the center-left Social Democratic Party and one of the conditions from SDP was a national minimum wage so hopefully it will lower the gap in wages.

How have they made the lack of minimum wage work for so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom