• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

The eastern seaboard is switching as a single group. Even SC, which is economically very closely tied to Georgia and NC. I foresee every state on that coast, from Maine to Florida, going blue someday.
Not if all the red states gerrymander their electoral votes :D

ivysaur12

Banned
The eastern seaboard is switching as a single group. Even SC, which is economically very closely tied to Georgia and NC. I foresee every state on that coast, from Maine to Florida, going blue someday.

I think it's possible, given the influx into South Carolina and North Carolina (that we're seeing now with NC). In the same light, you'll see states like West Virginia, Indiana, Missouri, and probably Ohio get Redder as time goes on.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oh, and I also think that we'll see Arizona become a purple state, if just because of demographics. We already saw congressional Ds compete well there this year.

I also wonder where MI/WI/IA are trending. Minnesota it probably the bluest outside of Illinois in the Midwest, but the other three would be interesting to look at (if I had the time to, maybe later).

I just don't see a world where we're fighting for electoral scraps in even the next 6 years.

I think MN's most recent elections have proven that the Twin Cities have a strong enough political influence that they can outvote the rest of the state in statewide elections. Dayton and Franken cruised to reelection when they both won by a smidgen in their last elections (one in a great presidential year, one in a terrible midterm year).

Remember this for 2016, kids

untitled.jpg

If Democrats won just one of:

- Florida
- Ohio
- Iowa+Colorado
- North Carolina
- Virginia

They're at or above 270.

HylianTom

Banned
I wonder about Michigan lately. But on the flip side, I'm getting more and more confident about Virginia moving leftward.

No news lately on electoral college schemes. That's good.

And I'm getting more and more convinced that GOP leadership/donors are going to try to shove Jeb down the party's throat.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wonder about Michigan lately. But on the flip side, I'm getting more and more confident about Virginia moving leftward.

No news lately on electoral college schemes. That's good.

And I'm getting more and more convinced that GOP leadership/donors are going to try to shove Jeb down the party's throat.

Well, who else is there? Walker? Christie? Voldemort?

snip

- Florida
- Ohio
- Iowa+Colorado
- North Carolina
- Virginia

They're at or above 270.

hell, you might well be able to pencil in Virginia at this point considering the last two statewide elections

of course THIS is the first thing I do after I get assaulted maybe 300 feet from my house

Diablos

Just saw yet another headline saying Christie still can't be held accountable for Bridgegate shenanigans. He's gonna be the frontrunner for quite some time I think as we get closer to 2016 anyway

of course THIS is the first thing I do after I get assaulted maybe 300 feet from my house
What? :|

You can't gerrymander a state's borders.
Yes but you can gerrymander enough of the states to negate whatever may be breaking for Dems in the eastern seaboard...

Crisco

Banned
Resurgent job market, successful health care reform, and gas at $2.47? Just go ahead and rollout the red carpet for Hillary at the WH in 2016.

If I were Obama, I'd have held a speach after every jobs report and just blasted the Republicans and their policies. "They said Obamacare is a job killer. Spending is harmful to job creation..."

HylianTom

Banned
If I were Obama, I'd have held a speach after every jobs report and just blasted the Republicans and their policies. "They said Obamacare is a job killer. Spending is harmful to job creation..."
Absolutely. Every Democrat needs to be in front of a microphone gloating about this. Rub their faces in it.

Tim-E

I think MN's most recent elections have proven that the Twin Cities have a strong enough political influence that they can outvote the rest of the state in statewide elections. Dayton and Franken cruised to reelection when they both won by a smidgen in their last elections (one in a great presidential year, one in a terrible midterm year).

Remember this for 2016, kids

untitled.jpg

- Florida
- Ohio
- Iowa+Colorado
- North Carolina
- Virginia

They're at or above 270.

West Virginia is not a swing state. They won't have voted for a dem presidential candidate in
20 years by that point. The 83 year long Democrat supermajority in the state senate and house of delegates swung very sharply to a republican majority in both chambers. A 36 year veteran in the House was just voted out. Only one of WV's 5 federal office holders is a Democrat now, and it's fucking Joe Manchin, so it may as well be a republican.

Bill's popularity in the 90s and Hillary's strong performance in the Dem primaries in 08 aren't going to be enough to change the tide that's started in this state.

Something something Democrats suck at messaging

Democrats have been garbage at messaging. They accomplished their greatest legislative achievement in four decades a few years ago and they are still hiding from their shadows even though the policy outcomes are exactly what a Democrat should want. They should've been talking about this for years now. If a party can't celebrate that, then they do suck at messaging.

HylianTom

Banned
West Virginia is not a swing state. They won't have voted for a dem presidential candidate in
20 years by that point. The 83 year long Democrat supermajority in the state senate and house of delegates swung very sharply to a republican majority in both chambers. A 36 year veteran in the House was just voted out. Only one of WV's 5 federal office holders is a Democrat now, and it's fucking Joe Manchin, so it may as well be a republican.

Bill's popularity in the 90s and Hillary's strong performance in the Dem primaries in 08 aren't going to be enough to change the tide that's started in this state.

Democrats have been garbage at messaging. They accomplished their greatest legislative achievement in four decades a few years ago and they are still hiding from their shadows even though the policy outcomes are exactly what a Democrat should want. They should've been talking about this for years now. If a party can't celebrate that, then they do suck at messaging.

Yup. WV seems gone. I don't trust AZ or GA just yet as "swing states." If the Dem wins those, it's going to be a blowout.

I'm getting more and more convinced that this'll be a race with a 2004-style margin of victory, where neither candidate gets over 300EVs. It's damn difficult to elect the same party to the White House more than twice in a row (in this era), but structural/demographic factors are like an electoral college cheat code for the Democrats.. makes it too hard for the GOP to run the table.

Fun scenario to consider:
Dem nominee wins Kerry states + NM + NV + VA. 270EVs.

Imagine the scrutiny placed on the electors for the weeks between Election Day and Electoral College Day. All it's take is one vote to go awry..

Kinda political but this TNR Saga is so stupid and is filling up my twitter feed. Bunch of well paid ivy league grads acting like kids because the owner wants to radical change a dying magazine to be more internet friendly.

Glad to know that's the straw that broke the camels back not Sullivans tener, or overt racism.

Who cares?

Tamanon

Banned
Kinda political but this TNR Saga is so stupid and is filling up my twitter feed. Bunch of well paid ivy league grads acting like kids because the owner wants to radical change a dying magazine to be more internet friendly.

Glad to know that's the straw that broke the camels back not Sullivans tener, or overt racism.

Who cares?

It's funny seeing a lot of "educated" folks coming to the realization that TNR isn't relevant anymore.

Who cares?

I have no idea what this post is about

long story short:

got stalked by a homeless dude for ~30 minutes while i was trying to get food after a night out

i got attacked trying to get back to my house - like literally less than 300 feet away, it was on my block - after getting that food (two lacerations of my nose, bruised and lacerated thumb)

dude tried to steal my phone but Columbus police were able to recover it intact within 15 minutes, and i'm pressing charges for assault and attempted theft
(and unfortunately contributing to this country's problem w/ recidivism)

I have no idea what this post is about
Facebook cofounder bought the new republic a few years ago. He announced recently he's cutting print and making it more like a 'vertical'( I have no idea what that means either) and digital focused.

So the top editor resigned yesterday and today like most of their staff resigned in some "taking a stand" moment

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit @ those jerbs numbers! As I say every fucking month for the past 7 months: When is Obamacare and Obama's tax hikes gonna finally start destroying jobs?

long story short:

got stalked by a homeless dude for ~30 minutes while i was trying to get food after a night out

i got attacked trying to get back to my house - like literally less than 300 feet away, it was on my block - after getting that food (two lacerations of my nose, bruised and lacerated thumb)

dude tried to steal my phone but Columbus police were able to recover it intact within 15 minutes, and i'm pressing charges for assault and attempted theft
(and unfortunately contributing to this country's problem w/ recidivism)

Guess we'll see if the old saying, "A conservative is a liberal who's been mugged", is true or not.

No but seriously. Sorry to hear that. Glad they caught the guy at least.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Facebook cofounder bought the new republic a few years ago. He announced recently he's cutting print and making it more like a 'vertical'( I have no idea what that means either) and digital focused.

So the top editor resigned yesterday and today like most of their staff resigned in some "taking a stand" moment

That's what it's all about? With all these writers dramatically resigning on twitter I thought there was a really racist article about Garner or something like that.

Why is print such a big deal? Sounds to me like they are still stuck in an era where you have to be in print to be considered a legit writer and worried about people thinking they're just lowly "bloggers" when talking about their jobs to people they meet.

So this must be like, one of the best years for job growth in recent history right? Obama needs to brag in SOTU before Republicans try and take credit for it ("look at what a Republican Senate did!")

Oblivion

So this must be like, one of the best years for job growth in recent history right? Obama needs to brag in SOTU before Republicans try and take credit for it ("look at what a Republican Senate did!")

It's the best year of jobs growth since 1994.

Why is print such a big deal? Sounds to me like they are still stuck in an era where you have to be in print to be considered a legit writer and worried about people thinking they're just lowly "bloggers" when talking about their jobs to people they meet.

Online inevitably turns to clickbait.

Find me a decent article written in the past 2 years that was for the exclusive use of the web.

Obviously, this was the doing of the Republican House's push against job-killing government spending and regulation and has absolutely nothing to do with any decisions made 1) before January 2011, and/or 2) by anyone else.

Guess we'll see if the old saying, "A conservative is a liberal who's been mugged", is true or not.

No but seriously. Sorry to hear that. Glad they caught the guy at least.

If anything, it actually reinforced my belief that we need stronger social programs (and a fair bit of economic stimulus) so people aren't driven so often by desperation to do this shit

Oblivion

That's what it's all about? With all these writers dramatically resigning on twitter I thought there was a really racist article about Garner or something like that.

Agreed. Bloggers are a national treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom