• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

Could anyone explain why Reid would never run for president, besides age?
Curious why such an apparently forceful personality would be content with staying in the Senate.

He's got some Vegas baggage. I can't see how he'd get through the Dem Presidential primaries considering he's fairly Pro-Life on the abortion debate.

Thanks, Obama, for directing your employees to release this news before the election.

Oh wait.
October was the 56th straight month of private-sector job gains in the U.S., and monthly gains have averaged about 227,000 so far this year. The job market has been steadily improving, which is good news. However, on the downside, hourly wages have struggled to make gains and the number of long-term unemployed is still almost 50% higher than it was before the recession hit.

The big numbers: The U.S. labor market added 214,000 jobs in October, falling shy of economists’ estimates of 235,000 jobs, according to Bloomberg data. The unemployment rate dropped unexpectedly to 5.8% —its lowest level since July 2008 — compared to an anticipated 5.9%. Private employers added 209,000 jobs.

Hourly wages ticked up by 2 cents last month, while the number of long-term unemployed was little changed at 2.9 million.

What you may have missed: October’s gains keep the U.S. labor market on track for its best annual performance since 1999. That year an average 265,000 Americans found jobs every month. The October job additions are a pick-up from the recent three-month average of 224,000 jobs.

http://time.com/3572116/new-jobs-report/

ivysaur12

Banned
Potentially big day for Metamorpheus/Halbig truthers:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/530780187483709440

@BuzzFeedNews
WASHINGTON (@AP) - Supreme Court agrees to rule on insurance subsidies in new challenge to Obama health law.

Also:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/530782571253497856

@AP
BREAKING: Republican Ed Gillespie concedes Virginia Senate race to Democratic Sen. Mark Warner.

And:

‏@BuzzFeedNews
From @AP: BREAKING: Judge OKs Detroit's plan to get out of bankruptcy, ending largest such case in US history.

HylianTom

Banned
I can see it now: SCOTUS does its usual "lean one way with one ruling on one day, lean the other way with another ruling on another day" routine..

1150x647

Christ, I was really going the SC would hold off on hearing a King appeal.

5-4 or 6-3 in favor of the subsidies seems likely though. At the end of the day, "such exchange" pretty unambiguously supports the IRS rule.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That SC news about the subsidies absolutely killed the joy I felt at the jerbs numbers.

Averon

We'll see.

Why not? Roberts only saved ACA because the conservative wing on the court wanted to throw out the entire law. Plus, it was an election year. Roberts was protecting the court's image.

There's no such issue as that this time around. I can easily see Roberts justifying throwing out the subsidies.

If they're thrown out, Metapod gets to rejoice at the subsequent increase in human suffering that will result.

No way they get struck down though. As I said, "such exchange" is unambiguous.

Why not? Roberts only saved ACA because the conservative wing on the court wanted to throw out the entire law. Plus, it was an election year. Roberts was protecting the court's image.

There's no such issue as that this time around. I can easily see Roberts justifying throwing out the subsidies.

Quite the opposite. Robersts had every chance to kill the ACA in that case leaving Obama with very little to stand on going forward.

The truth is, Roberts found every which way not to kill the ACA because of his notion in his legacy and because it would have been a most unprecedented move for the Court to kill such sweeping economic reform. There is literally nothing like it and for the Court to do that would change everything.

For that reason, I still think we're okay. If Roberts didn't kill it then he surely isn't going to kill the law nearly 2 years in and throw the entire market into absolute chaos in most of the states over a superficial technicality.

Everyone seems to be panicking, but the SCOTUS does take Court cases it upholds (1/3 of them in fact) and numerous ones without disagreement in the lower courts. Sometimes they like to reaffirm a decision or send a signal about it.

I really can't fathom the SCOTUS overturning the case. Not just because the legal argument is one of the most garbage arguments I've ever seen but the notion that they'd do something so unprecedented and so against what the SCOTUS has always done in terms of getting involved in laws in this way which would also through a huge economic market into chaos, and really the economy, seems impossible.

But who knows?

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
You're generally amusing and your posts are well articulated even when I disagree, but fuck this.

Just to be clear, my schadenfreude is caused by the expressed misery of those in this thread, not the actual, real-life misery of folks who lose health insurance if the Supreme Court rules against the subsidies.

Just to be clear, my schadenfreude is caused by the expressed misery of those in this thread, not the actual, real-life misery of folks who lose health insurance if the Supreme Court rules against the subsidies.

My misery is based on the fact that it would cause real-life misery.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If the subsidies are shut down, it would be a colossal disaster for everyone involved.

Wilsongt

How does it feel to drink liberal bitter tears? Are they as sweet as conservative tears?

You're just trying to bring back that Inception discussion we had, aren't you?

literally this is why the whole thing matters to me, though. And probably most of us here.

This isn't like that case about prayer in townhalls in which either outcome really doesn't have much of an effect on every day people. Sure, I want it to go one way, but it's not the same.

We're literally talking about the lives of folks, here. It's fine to make an argument against it, but I don't like the cheering of the outcome even if it is the right one (it isn't, but besides the point).

It's always nice to see the people who utterly annihilated you in multiple debates get annoyed by something, isn't it?

When you've been made to look like an utter fool on numerous occasions, you've got to savor those small victories.

BSsBrolly

Banned
My misery is based on the fact that it would cause real-life misery.

That is what perplexes me about Republicans. When Democrats lose in presidential races, congressional races, gubernatorial, etc. people get upset because they will be effected, whether it's healthcare, jobs, unions, marriage, social security or losing pay raises (federal employees). They are most likely going to be negatively impacted in some way.

What do middle class republicans have to dread when republican candidates are rejected? "Shit, now I might have to do a back ground check when I buy my 500th gun! Taxes may be increased for millionaires! Labor union will still have power! Democrats are ruining everything!"

Edit: maybe they get upset simply because the other side won?

Edit: maybe they get upset simply because the other side won?

That seems to be where we're headed. Looking at some of the drive by posts in the OT threads it's full of "yeah it sucks for gays who want to get married and yeah it sucks for people who want to raise the minimum wage....but my team won"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Millions of people the Republicans won't be able to convince that they DIDN'T have something to do with it.

Except the democrats are so terrible at messaging right now that it would have nearly no effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom