• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingkitty

I didn't want to waste a vote on Cuomo so I picked Green Party. Fuck him.

Hilarious that Working Families Party gave Cuomo the nod, again.

Wall

Cuomos policies have always been that of an upstate republican. And yet he was still voted in, twice.

Hm, I wonder why people no longer vote when presented with a sham like this every time.

Cuomo actually lost a lot of the counties in upstate and central New York to Teachout in the primary. Really, the only thing saving this POS is that fact that most people don't pay attention to New York governors races because they haven't bee competitive in the past few years. His militant social liberalism on issues like gun control combined with his fiscal conservatism make him un-electable outside of states like New York anyway.

To think he actually thought that his policies would allow him to build a base that might lead him to the Presidency.....

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Cut taxes, infinite revenue!

TOPEKA

Kansas will collect $1 billion less in revenue in 2015 and 2016 than its projected expenses following massive income tax cuts signed into law by Republican Gov. Sam Brownback.

The new revenue estimates released Monday revealed that Kansas would burn through about $380 million in reserves and still need to cut $280 million to balance its current budget for fiscal year 2015, which ends next June 30.

The problem continues in 2016 when revenues are projected to run $436 million short of expenditures, the estimates show.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article3729756.html#storylink=cpy

Heck of a job, Brownback.

And heck of a job, Kansas electorate.

Fuck Cuomo

He's done everything in his power to keep Republicans in control of the State Senate so he won't feel pressured to sign legislation that might actually be progressive

The only great thing he did was sign gay marriage into law which should have happened in 2010 except NY state Democrats are a bunch of flailing dickheads

Kansas is going to be one of those "how shitty does it have to get before the voters wise-up?" experiments, isn't it? I feel horrible for the folks in the state who know better..

Experiment?

The deep south has never been shittier but they vote in the same party every time.

The interesting thing about Kansas is that you'd think the Southern Strategy wouldn't be as effective, since a major point of it ("blacks get hurt more than whites") doesn't apply as much. The entire state is getting fucked across the board, and unlike the south there aren't as many black people.

HylianTom

Banned
Experiment?

The deep south has never been shittier but they vote in the same party every time.
Touché.. You aren't kidding.

Every election cycle, I fight temptation to buy a billboard advertising something like:
Louisiana:
- 50th in {*insert standard of living measure*}
- 48th in {*insert standard of living measure*}
- 49th in {*insert standard of living measure*}

"Had enough yet? Voting Republican doesn't work!"

But the voters here would somehow find a way to blame "the blacks" and "the liberals." Idiots.

ivysaur12

Banned

Every election cycle, I fight temptation to buy a billboard advertising something like:

But the voters here would somehow find a way to blame "the blacks" and "the liberals." Idiots.

Sounds like Mary's fault. What has her clout got Louisiana?

Experiment?

They've only gone red in the last 10 to 15 years. Alabama had a democratic house till like 2008 or 2010 or something. And Kansas never has been the deep south and their red turn predates the souths by decades.

Youd think the democrats would actually do something like that.

Fuck, thats what they should have done in all the tossup states.

"I love Kentucky. I've lived here my whole life, working hard and enjoying the AMERICAN STANDARD of life. But Brownback wants to destroy that. He's looking at Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas as models. Theyre last in x, last in y, last in z. Brownback wants to cut taxes like Mississippi, putting us billions in debt. Brownback wants to eliminate schools, like Alabama, which is last in college education. He wants to make us fatter than Mississippi and give us worse roads than Arkansas. Governor Brownback promises his policies will change Kentucky. Thats true, and we can look at Alabama to see what that change means. 50 years of Republican rule have made those states the global laughingstock. Do you want Kansas to join them?"

ivysaur12

Banned

"I love Kentucky. I've lived here my whole life, working hard and enjoying the AMERICAN STANDARD of life. But Brownback wants to destroy that. He's looking at Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas as models. Theyre last in x, last in y, last in z. Brownback wants to cut taxes like Mississippi, putting us billions in debt. Brownback wants to eliminate schools, like Alabama, which is last in college education. He wants to make us fatter than Mississippi and give us worse roads than Arkansas. Governor Brownback promises his policies will change Kentucky. Thats true, and we can look at Alabama to see what that change means. 50 years of Republican rule have made those states the global laughingstock. Do you want Kansas to join them?"

Yeah but Obamacare.

Tamanon

Banned
The annoying thing about Kansas is that the "failure" of low taxation is leading to the other tentpole of the Republican strategy, lower spending. So it's a win for the GOP even as people suffer.

benjipwns

Banned

Louisiana:
- 50th in {*insert standard of living measure*}
- 48th in {*insert standard of living measure*}

"Had enough yet? Voting Republican doesn't work!"

Exxxxactly. They'll find the one statewide-elected Democrat and pin everything on that person.

Oh, and blame those filthy, immoral animals living down in New Orleans.. :)
This seems like a bad example to deploy such a strategy. There were exactly one and a half Republican governors between 1877-2008. Louisana's state legislature was completely Democratically controlled from 1200 BC until 2011. David Vitter is the only Republican ever elected to the U.S. Senate from the state.

1. I don't think all the Kentucky talk will work in Kansas.
2. None of those states have had 50 years of Republican rule. And even 20 years is pushing it.

http://mediamatters.org/embed/clips/2014/11/10/37581/fbn-ld-20141110-attorneygen

Being in a group with other blacks is 'controversial' now. He doesn't say as much but the linking of them as sororities sisters is clearly because its Delta Sigma Theta, a black sorority. Are the Chi Omegas, and Kappa Kappa Kappas of the world controversial? The Sig Eps? the Pikes?

Its dobbs but still

This is typical Fox shit, I tend to refuse to get rustled by this shit. They frame everyone as controversial, then start spreading the FUD.

The question I have...now that we know the senate won't consider her until January, how the fuck will she be confirmed after Obama's immigration megaton? The right is building a case to reject her. It always starts on the fringe, moves to Fox, and then arrives in the senate or House. She could easily be the first scalp of the new year.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
This seems like a bad example to deploy such a strategy. There were exactly one and a half Republican governors between 1877-2008. Louisana's state legislature was completely Democratically controlled from 1200 BC until 2011. David Vitter is the only Republican ever elected to the U.S. Senate from the state.

And never, ever try to start a new business in Louisiana. Especially New Orleans. Holy Lord, but they're awful.

HylianTom

Banned

In that case, "conservative." And while I'm mocking the state's voters in my fantasy, I'd also point-out that the states that are doing better in many quality of life measurements typically vote.. "liberal."

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...c55e16-637f-11e4-836c-83bc4f26eb67_story.html
How we produce and consume food has a bigger impact on Americans’ well-being than any other human activity. The food industry is the largest sector of our economy; food touches everything from our health to the environment, climate change, economic inequality and the federal budget. Yet we have no food policy—no plan or agreed-upon principles—for managing American agriculture or the food system as a whole.

That must change.
I bet it will go as well as the last time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Select_Committee_on_Nutrition_and_Human_Needs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center...nd_Promotion#Dietary_Guidelines_for_Americans
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricultural_subsidy#United_States

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/students/pop/20020708snapmonday.html
t was Ancel Keys, paradoxically, who introduced the low-fat-is-good-health dogma in the 50's with his theory that dietary fat raises cholesterol levels and gives you heart disease. Over the next two decades, however, the scientific evidence supporting this theory remained stubbornly ambiguous. The case was eventually settled not by new science but by politics. It began in January 1977, when a Senate committee led by George McGovern published its ''Dietary Goals for the United States,'' advising that Americans significantly curb their fat intake to abate an epidemic of ''killer diseases'' supposedly sweeping the country. It peaked in late 1984, when the National Institutes of Health officially recommended that all Americans over the age of 2 eat less fat. By that time, fat had become ''this greasy killer'' in the memorable words of the Center for Science in the Public Interest

Surely, everyone involved in drafting the various dietary guidelines wanted Americans simply to eat less junk food, however you define it, and eat more the way they do in Berkeley, Calif. But we didn't go along. Instead we ate more starches and refined carbohydrates, because calorie for calorie, these are the cheapest nutrients for the food industry to produce, and they can be sold at the highest profit. It's also what we like to eat. Rare is the person under the age of 50 who doesn't prefer a cookie or heavily sweetened yogurt to a head of broccoli.

''All reformers would do well to be conscious of the law of unintended consequences,'' says Alan Stone, who was staff director for McGovern's Senate committee. Stone told me he had an inkling about how the food industry would respond to the new dietary goals back when the hearings were first held. An economist pulled him aside, he said, and gave him a lesson on market disincentives to healthy eating: ''He said if you create a new market with a brand-new manufactured food, give it a brand-new fancy name, put a big advertising budget behind it, you can have a market all to yourself and force your competitors to catch up. You can't do that with fruits and vegetables. It's harder to differentiate an apple from an apple.''

Guess he'll just be there in an attempt to pull candidates to the left, just as John Bolton will run to pull GOP candidates to the right (on foreign policy).

Man the 2016 field is weak as fuck for democrats outside of Hillary. And if Cuomo magically gets the nom under any circumstances I'm voting green or writing in Rand Paul.

Guess he'll just be there in an attempt to pull candidates to the left, just as John Bolton will run to pull GOP candidates to the right (on foreign policy).

Man the 2016 field is weak as fuck for democrats outside of Hillary. And if Cuomo magically gets the nom under any circumstances I'm voting green or writing in Rand Paul.

You consider Bernie weak? I think his populist message has a lot of appeal.

He can distance himself from Obama without going to the right like Hillary would have to.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
What if I just want to make caskets at my monastery?

Heh. Try becoming a florist:

Clark Neily said:
From an emotional standpoint (and yes, we get emotional about our cases even though we’re lawyers), probably my toughest case was Meadows v. Odom, where we challenged the constitutionality of a Louisiana law that requires florists to have a government-issues license in order to work, just like doctors or lawyers.

Our lead client, Sandy Meadows, was a widow in Baton Rouge who never finished high school and whose only vocational skill was making flower arrangements. But the florist licensing exam was so outdated and so subjective that she couldn’t pass it. (Nor could most other people—the pass rate on the florist exam was 33%, compared with 61.5% for the Louisiana Bar exam.)

Long story short, I was unable to convince the judge to strike down the law, and when the Louisiana Flower Police found out Sandy was managing the floral department of an Albertsons grocery store without a license, they threatened to shut it down. The store had no choice but to let Sandy go, leaving her unemployed and destitute. She died about two months later, alone and in poverty because the state of Louisiana wouldn’t let her work as a florist without a rinky-dink license and a federal judge wouldn’t do anything about it. That was a very tough case for me.

(Note that, in 2010, Jindal signed a bill eliminating the demonstration portion of the florist licensing exam, which required the aspiring professional to prove his or her competence at arranging flowers before a group of his or her future competitors.)

Drakeon

I don't know under what circumstance Cuomo would make it out of the primaries alive. Liberals loathe the man and they're the ones who are going to be voting in the primaries.

Still not sure who the 2016 field is.. Schweitzer, Biden, Clinton, Sanders, O'Malley (who had a great chance to establish himself in 2012 and failed miserably), Webb, Manchin and.. I'm sure I'm missing a few right? I'd like to throw Warren in there, but she repeatedly denies that she's going to run. I'll definitely vote for Sanders out of those candidates, but I don't think Bernie has a legit shot.

I had to look up candidates to add Manchin and Webb, who shouldn't have much of a shot given they are way too blue dog to win the primaries.

Averon

Now that the GOP control the large majority of state houses and governorships, expect more GOP style economics in more states. Kansas and North Carolina are the previews of what those states are in for.

At the very least the GOP will have to own up to the inevitable failure that's to come in those states. No Democrats to blame since they are largely out of power.

ivysaur12

Banned
Updated totals for Alaska. 40,000 more votes to count, nothing's really changed.

http://www.elections.alaska.gov/results/14GENR/data/results.htm

UNITED STATES SENATOR
Total
Number of Precincts 441
Precincts Reporting 441 100.0%
Times Counted 238798/509011 46.9%
Total Votes 236522
Begich, Mark DEM 106718 45.12%
Fish, Mark S. LIB 8691 3.67%
Gianoutsos, Ted NA 4534 1.92%
Sullivan, Dan REP 115502 48.83%
Write-in Votes 1077 0.46%

GOVERNOR/LT GOVERNOR
Total
Number of Precincts 441
Total Votes 234867
Clift/Lee LIB 7037 3.00%
Myers/Rensel CON 5653 2.41%
Parnell/Sullivan REP 109244 46.51%
Walker/Mallott NA 112263 47.80%
Write-in Votes 670 0.29%

(Pot):

Ballot Measure 2 - 13PSUM
Total
Number of Precincts 441
Total Votes 234315
YES 122150 52.13%
NO 112165 47.87%

% differences are pretty much the same in all races.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If Bernie runs, he REALLY needs to comb his hair. I love the guy and his positions and all, but you need to not appear like a crazy person. By appearances alone he'd lose to a fuckwit like Ted Cruz 9 out of 10 times.

Now that the GOP control the large majority of state houses and governorships, expect more GOP style economics in more states. Kansas and North Carolina are the previews of what those states are in for.

At the very least the GOP will have to own up to the inevitable failure that's to come in those states. No Democrats to blame since they are largely out of power.

I'm gonna be pissed when they all start rolling back renewable portfolio standards on behalf of their Koch fossil Brother masters. :-/

But hey, climate change is just a hoax, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom