• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Top-class troll.

Where do governors get their health insurance from?

Government run health insurance for Republicans works differently than government run health insurance for everyone else. When a Republican touches their insurance card, it becomes infused with freedom particles and is immediately purified and exorcised of evil government spirits (it's similar to how Kagome can purify a shikon jewel shard).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Government run health insurance for Republicans works differently than government run health insurance for everyone else. When a Republican touches their insurance card, it becomes infused with freedom particles and is immediately purified and exorcised of evil government spirits (it's similar to how Kagome can purify a shikon jewel shard).

:LOL

I'm guessing you watched that last night?

Jooney

There's so many things I've yet to learn about your wonderful country.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Can somebody tell me what the Democratic Party platform was pre-FDR? All I can see is that they were anti-bank and anti-black.
Grover Cleveland in 1892, Alton Parker in 1904, John Davis in 1924, and Al Smith in 1928 all won the democratic primary as very conservative pro-bank candidates, showing that there was a split between people like that and progressive anti-bank types like William Jennings Bryan or Woodrow Wilson.

It seems to me that the anti-black thing was the most common thread, which seemed to continue into-anti women's suffrage and the anti-prohibition that followed it.

Grover Cleveland in 1892, Alton Parker in 1904, John Davis in 1924, and Al Smith in 1928 all won the democratic primary as very conservative pro-bank candidates, showing that there was a split between people like that and progressive anti-bank types like William Jennings Bryan or Woodrow Wilson.

It seems to me that the anti-black thing was the most common thread, which seemed to continue into-anti women's suffrage and the anti-prohibition that followed it.
I seriously cannot find the platform of either party. I've heard of big tent but holy shit. People were also very divided back then, I wonder of what being that the two parties hardly seemed rigid in ideology then.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
you can't find it?

really its takes one google search for every platform

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/platforms.php
Interesting link. I like seeing things like dems being the pacifists back when McKinnely and Roosevelt were waging the Spanish–American War and Philippine-American War, but come WW1 when Wilson was president, all of a sudden the pro war and anti war roles got reversed.

Apparently the one thing Democrats was consistent in was really hating tariffs in that era. It's very prominent in most of those platform statements.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Warren, is it just me, or is a Warren 2016 possibilities completely gone after taking that leadership role? People in congressional leadership roles seem to avoid the presidential races lately, and I can't help but wonder if part of the reason they gave her the position is to keep her from challenging Clinton.

Not that I'm complaining about it, I'm sure she'll get a lot done there, maybe more than a failed presidential run if it continues down that path long term. I just feel like that position was a trade off.

Speaking of Warren, is it just me, or is a Warren 2016 possibilities completely gone after taking that leadership role? People in congressional leadership roles seem to avoid the presidential races lately, and I can't help but wonder if part of the reason they gave her the position is to keep her from challenging Clinton.

Not that I'm complaining about it, I'm sure she'll get a lot done there, maybe more than a failed presidential run if it continues down that path long term. I just feel like that position was a trade off.

I recall hearing in the past that she said she thought she could do more from the senate than the presidency. I really don't expect her to run.

Tamanon

Banned

It was never a possibility for me to begin with.

Republicans coordinating illegally on twitter

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/17/polit...outside-groups/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

Glad we have strong election laws thanks FEC and SCOTUS

Despite the questionable nature of the Twitter communications, experts doubt the FEC will do much to act. Members of the commission have been deadlocked along party lines for years and attorneys for these groups often develop legal arguments before engaging in such practices to avoid acting outside the bounds of the law, Ryan said.

"In many instances, we have very sophisticated political players with really good lawyers who know where the legal lines are and know where to push them to their client's advantage," he said.

USA USA USA.

[
we have the worst elections of any industrialized nation, its a joke

I'd rather have Warren in the senate doing what Cruz has been doing with respect to recruiting, plus influencing policy. Why anyone would want a President Warren with a GOP house is beyond me. What would be the point, versus having her in the senate making strides?

you can't find it?

really its takes one google search for every platform

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/platforms.php

This is amazing.

1976 Democratic Party Platform

Labor Standards and Rights

The purpose of fair labor standards legislation has been the maintenance of the minimum standards necessary for the health, efficiency and general well-being of workers. Recent inflation has eroded the real value of the current minimum wage. This rapid devaluation of basic income for working people makes a periodic review of the level of the minimum wage essential. Such a review should insure that the minimum wage rate at least keep pace with the increase in the cost of living.

Raising the pay standard for overtime work, additional hiring of part-time persons and flexible work schedules will increase the independence of workers and create additional job opportunities, especially for women. We also support the principle of equal pay for comparable work.

We are committed to full implementation and enforcement of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.

Over a generation ago this nation established a labor policy whose purpose is to encourage the practice and procedure of collective bargaining and the right of workers to organize to obtain this goal. The Democratic Party is committed to extending the benefit of the policy to all workers and to removing the barriers to its administration. We support the right of public employees and agricultural workers to organize and bargain collectively. We urge the adoption of appropriate federal legislation to ensure this goal.

We will seek to amend the Fair Labor Standards Act to speed up redress of grievances of workers asserting their legal rights.

We will seek to enforce and, where necessary, to amend the National Labor Relations Act to eliminate delays and inequities and to provide for more effective remedies and administration.

We will support the full right of construction workers to picket a job site peacefully.

We will seek repeal of Section 14(b) of the Taft-Hartley Act which allows states to legislate the anti-union open shop.

We will maintain strong support for the process of voluntary arbitration, and we will enact minimum federal standards for workers compensation laws and for eligibility, benefit amounts, benefit duration and other essential features of the unemployment insurance program. Unemployment insurance should cover all wage and salary workers.

The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 should cover all employees and be enforced as intended when the law was enacted. Early and periodic review of its provisions should be made to insure that they are reasonable and workable.

The Democratic Party will also seek to enact a comprehensive mine safety law, utilizing the most effective and independent enforcement by the federal government and support special legislation providing adequate compensation to coal miners and their dependents who have suffered disablement or death as a result of the black lung disease.

We believe these policies will put America back to work, bring balanced growth to our economy

and give all Americans an opportunity to share in the expanding prosperity that will come from a new Democratic administration.

Every single one of the bolded items is something the Democrats are still working on. Hell, I've heard stories on NPR in the last week about mine safety, equal pay, issues at the NLRB and, of course, the minimum wage. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The only exception is the item I underlined. It's very interesting to see that 30 years, the party asked for more part-time jobs and flexibility while now it is constantly defending Obama's policies for only creating those types of jobs.

This is amazing.

Every single one of the bolded items is something the Democrats are still working on. Hell, I've heard stories on NPR in the last week about mine safety, equal pay, issues at the NLRB and, of course, the minimum wage. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The only exception is the item I underlined. It's very interesting to see that 30 years, the party asked for more part-time jobs and flexibility while now it is constantly defending Obama's policies for only creating those types of jobs.

Don't forget eliminating tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas! It's largely a game.

This is amazing.

40 years of not getting shit done.

Except for things like the Patriot Act. That gets in and out in half a day.

Gee whiz, I wonder why people dont vote anymore.

Oblivion

I don't know if people are serious with these comments

?

- welfare "reform"
- defense of marriage act
- financial deregulation
- NAFTA
- capital gains tax cut
- DADT
- "The era of big government is over!"

Sounds pretty Republican to me.

?

- welfare "reform"
- defense of marriage act
- financial deregulation
- NAFTA
- capital gains tax cut
- DADT
- "The era of big government is over!"

Sounds pretty Republican to me.

Republican? Yes. Goldwater? No.Goldwater was only a few steps away from Rand Paul.

Oblivion

Where did you find an article by Diablos's GOP clone? He's absolutely right about most of his points, I just was not ready for another Diablos.

Huh, that's pretty interesting, and very well articulated. It's got to be tough being a Republican moderate these days.

Although it's a shame the comments were closed. That would've been entertaining.

On the other hand...

Gallup said:
Democrats: 36%
Republicans: 42%

KingGondo

Banned
I really, really wish this was parody:

http://www.thelostogle.com/2014/11/17/mary-fallin-drove-a-tank/#more-50423

fallin-tank-2-526x400.jpg

fallin-gun-2-388x400.jpg

Via KOCO:

A large crowd gathered at the Wilshire Gun grand opening Friday to watch Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin drive a tank over an old car.

The stunt kicked off the three-day opening celebration, as Wilshire Gun becomes the first shooting range in the state to sell alcohol.

“Well it was interesting being able to ride in this tank and crush a car, and what an exciting way to open up the Wilshire Gun range today,” Fallin said. “It’s a great new edition to Oklahoma City and it’s creating jobs.”

Fallin said having a place that teaches gun safety is an important addition to the community.

“Having the ability to have meeting spaces where people can learn about gun safety and the appropriate handling of firearms, which is also a very important part of gun ownership,” Fallin said.

My state reelected this woman. Overwhelmingly.

Jesus.

Here's an actual positive, non-shitty story to come out of the midterms:

http://blog.chron.com/goplifer/2014/11/the-missing-story-of-the-2014-election/
He's (she's? I don't want to assume) right that the math is pretty intimidating for Republicans in 2016, although I won't rule out a win for now. If they do win though it would be a squeaker. And not a Dick Morris "squeaker" like Obama winning with 332 electoral votes, like just barely over 270.

The Senate is a bit more up in the air, but Democrats still have a good chance at taking it. IL (Duckworth), PA (Sestak), NH (Hassan), WI (Feingold?) could all flip easily, and OH, FL and IA could under the right conditions. And those are just the states that Obama won in both elections.

It's just too bad the House fucking sucks. Pick off the low-hanging fruit and Democrats could swing maybe like 15 seats or so but they'll need double that to win a majority.

ivysaur12

Banned
KY marriage equality cert petition

(Love v. Beshear)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/246887775/Kentucky-Plaintiffs-Cert-Petition

MI marriage equality cert petition

(DeBoer v. Snyder)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/246883477/Michigan-Plaintiffs-Cert-Petition

Part of me hopes they take Love v. Beshear just because of that name, but I'm reading the cert petitions now to see which is better. We'll find out, at the earliest, on December 5th.

Here's an actual positive, non-shitty story to come out of the midterms:

http://blog.chron.com/goplifer/2014/...2014-election/

In 2016 Republicans will be defending 24 Senate seats and at least 18 of them are likely to be competitive based on geography and demographics. Democrats will be defending precisely one seat that could possibly be competitive. One.

Ehh, Nevada and Colorado will be competitive, but yes.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
He's (she's? I don't want to assume) right that the math is pretty intimidating for Republicans in 2016, although I won't rule out a win for now. If they do win though it would be a squeaker. And not a Dick Morris "squeaker" like Obama winning with 332 electoral votes, like just barely over 270.

The Senate is a bit more up in the air, but Democrats still have a good chance at taking it. IL (Duckworth), PA (Sestak), NH (Hassan), WI (Feingold?) could all flip easily, and OH, FL and IA could under the right conditions. And those are just the states that Obama won in both elections.

It's just too bad the House fucking sucks. Pick off the low-hanging fruit and Democrats could swing maybe like 15 seats or so but they'll need double that to win a majority.

Eh? Has Feingold ever said anything about reentering politics? I thought he was done for good.

Has Tammy Duckworth said she is running for IL senate seat? She is a kickass Congresswoman and I couldn't be more proud of her repping my district.

Edit: Heck i'm going to send her an email to say how awesome she is.

And he takes credit for it. Obama is also pretty centrist but at least he would have vetoed some of the inane poverty slashing bs.

He's disavowed a few of those things.

And again, a centrist policy isn't republican policy and especially not goldwater republican.

(you should have waited to use that against hilary since she actually was a goldwater gil)

He's disavowed a few of those things.

And again, a centrist policy isn't republican policy and especially not goldwater republican.

(you should have waited to use that against hilary since she actually was a goldwater gil)
I am 100% certain Willy is going to drive Hillary's office from the backseat. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom