• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are a waste of time.
No, I have no problem with companies opting in to production of their foods under a given criteria to certify them with a label as a marketing ploy with little to no proven health benefits.

Alright. Good points.

But I still don't consider it fear mongering... As you pointed out, just as many people would support a DNA label. I would say that with both labelings it wouldn't cause any kind of scare since those people really didn't put that much critical thought into it in the first place.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This Jeb thing is seriously blowing up. Look at the note my mom left for my dad today.

1VXUjVw.jpg

My dad is 68 and he loves it!!!

I think it's important to know the backstory behind Sanders supporting GMO-Labeling. In VT it's a rather contentious issue, but a huge portion of the population wants it. Depending on who you ask it's either for consumer information, or to fear monger. My ex came from a farming family and she hated hearing people talk about GMO's, because from her perspective they basically were keeping her family afloat. Were it not for GMO's they wouldn't be able to consistently get the right kind of yield to stay in business.

http://www.theonion.com/article/scientists-warn-all-plant-life-dying-within-30-yar-52409
Scientists Warn All Plant Life Dying Within 30-Yard Radius Of Ted Cruz Campaign Signs

800.jpg

Fantastic.

I think the GOP is making a mistake going for Rubio here. They're playing the short game when the long game is more important.

There is a massive chunk of the base (about 35%) right now that is furious with the establishment. We saw bits of this in 2012 but now it is in full effect. This group of people is far, far right and wants things done in Washington that are incredibly unlikely.

If Trump wins, their guy got the nomination, and either A) loses the GE or B) wins the presidency and goes on to not do what they want. Both things are good for the GOP. In scenario A, they say, "See? Should have picked the establishment guy." Scenario B is the same way. In the end, this group's rage may subside and they head back to the party.

If Rubio wins, there is no possible way he can live up to what they want. Next election, the rage against the establishment is worse and the party may head toward a split.

If Trump wins the nomination the Republican party is going get crushed in November and have their brand further tainted with his association as it puts them even deeper into a demographic hole. And Hillary gets a Democratic Senate for 2 years to appoint the liberal justices she wants.

Holmes

Ted Cruz can't catch a break. So on Super Tuesday, basically every Southern state is similar to how South Carolina awarded its delegates: a nice at-large prize for the winner, and district delegates awarded depending on who wins first and second in the district: winner takes 2 delegates, runner up takes the remaining delegate. These states are Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma. So if Trump can win any of these by even 10%, he'll come away with a big majority of delegates. Texas, on the other hand, which Cruz should win, is totally proportional, with a 50% threshold, but no way that Cruz crosses that 50%. Virginia, Alabama, and the rest of the non-Southern states are all proportional too.

Basically, Trump doesn't need to win the Southern Super Tuesday states decisively to come out far ahead in delegates.

danm999

Ted Cruz can't catch a break. So on Super Tuesday, basically every Southern state is similar to how South Carolina awarded its delegates: a nice at-large prize for the winner, and district delegates awarded depending on who wins first and second in the district: winner takes 2 delegates, runner up takes the remaining delegate. These states are Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma. So if Trump can win any of these by even 10%, he'll come away with a big majority of delegates. Texas, on the other hand, which Cruz should win, is totally proportional, with a 50% threshold, but no way that Cruz crosses that 50%. Virginia, Alabama, and the rest of the non-Southern states are all proportional too.

Basically, Trump doesn't need to win the Southern Super Tuesday states decisively to come out far ahead in delegates.

The RNC must be pulling out their hair at how badly rule changes fucked them.

So Andrew Kaczynski just posed this question:

His map:

[snip]

My map:

[snip]

Curious to see what everyone else's look like.

As of right now, I've got this pegged at 358-180 - Obama 2012 plus NC and AZ. (I'm a bit pessimistic on Georgia, but I haven't seen much in the way of polling there if it even exists yet)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think people are being a little unfair about the GMO thing with Bernie; the obstinate "omg now he REALLY did it!!!" is reminiscent of the babby behavior from extreme Berniestans. I agree it's a shitty position, but it's mostly harmless on its face. It's just a waste of time.

Hillarystans are really feeling emboldened these days.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think people are being a little unfair about the GMO thing with Bernie; the obstinate "omg now he REALLY did it!!!" is reminiscent of the babby behavior from extreme Berniestans. I agree it's a shitty position, but it's mostly harmless on its face. It's just a waste of time.

I just really hate GMO fear-mongering but it's never a deal breaker.

I have a hard time believing MO could turn blue again. It's gone too batshit crazy when Obama ran and having lived there for almost a decade, there's so much of the state that's fit for Trump.

Hardly an over reaction. This guy is in the pocket of Ben & Jerry, Whole Foods lobbyists and all the other GMO hating, organic corporate overlords, and we cannot allow someone who is trying to rip off every day Americans with their $12 cartons of milk and their stupidly over priced vegan frozen bananas into the white house

pigeon

Banned
Hardly an over reaction. This guy is in the pocket of Ben & Jerry, Whole Foods lobbyists and all the other GMO hating, organic corporate overlords, and we cannot allow someone who is trying to rip off every day Americans with their $12 cartons of milk and their stupidly over priced vegan frozen bananas into the white house

You forgot "the business of Whole Foods is fraud."

Indianapolis is getting bluer, but it's still not at the level of most cities to counteract the rest of the state's red lean.

2008 was just a freak event.
Indianapolis is getting bluer because of crime rate (so more gun laws) and Pence isn't helping his cause with his social conservatism.

It gave us Cory Gardner in the Senate in the last election. Those fucks.

During a midterm with the lowest turn out since WWII. I don't think 2014 is as indicative of political shifts as people seem to claim. It's more likely during a Presidential Election Colorado gets bluer than it has been in the past.

Tell your friends to caucus with you for HIllary

Or you know, vote for whomever you most align with.

Diablos

The GOP is once again at a really low point. They've let a fascist hijack their party.
They're in a better position to win. Obama is on the way out. That in and of itself makes Republicans quite thrilled. The economy is better than it was in 08. The candidates, even Trump, are better despite their deep flaws.

The most interesting group of this election will be white women.

It's pretty clear whom black, Latino, and Asian men and women will be voting for between Trump and Hillary and Trump will probably win white men by a largish margin, but white women are going to be interesting with how much Trump hates women.

Anyway, this is probably one of the best polls Trump has ever gotten:

Thank you Michigan! #VoteTrumpMI
Trump 35%
Kasich 17%
Cruz 12%
Rubio 12%
Carson 9%
Via: ARG

If Kasich gets those numbers in Michigan, he'll stay in for Ohio and Florida and then Trump has won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom