• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Is Colorado a swing state? I've sort of thought of it as safely blue.

Huh...my vote might actually matter this election

It was the tipping point state in the last two elections, which make it the most swing state of all. It's also a pretty elastic one too, where the demographic makeup ends up giving the elastic voters in the Denver suburbs most of the power.

I think it might go right of Virginia this election because it's kinda a rebellious state that won't take to a personality like Clinton's.

Still, that doesn't mean it'll turn red while Georgia turns blue. My guess would be around florida being the furthest right they would ever go.

Indianapolis is getting bluer, but it's still not at the level of most cities to counteract the rest of the state's red lean.

2008 was just a freak event.

I think a big factor was simply having the Obama campaign target the state at all. Indiana is used to getting ignored in presidential elections. It must be said they did a great job turning out the vote in key areas (Indianapolis, Northwest Indiana, the counties with major universities) and of course having Obama win the national vote by a substantial margin helped.

Indianapolis is kind of an odd duck because of the consolidated city-county government. Parts of the city are suburban or even downright rural in character, which contributes to the city overall being less Democratic than other cities of a comparable size (though getting bluer). But in general it's not enough to overcome the Republican advantage in most of the state. Indiana is kind of like what Illinois would be if it didn't have Chicago.

Cerium

wtf was Ted thinking. He made the story bigger by firing his spokesman. Idiot.

He had to find a scapegoat. The liar and dirty tricks thing has been sticking, and that undermines his core message (TRUSTED) and demonstrably hurt him with Evangelicals in South Carolina, his core support base. I bet he really regrets the Iowa shenanigans because Trump hasn't stopped blasting him for it and Rubio was happy to join in.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So he wins only to lose 4 years later and then the GOP splits up? Sounds weird. If Rubio wins he's the new lord and savior of the GOP

Not the angry base. He doesn't close borders, he doesn't do what they want. They'll get worse.

Diablos

Not the angry base. He doesn't close borders, he doesn't do what they want. They'll get worse.
They'll fall in line when the SCOTUS goes right wing, the ACA gets repealed, etc.

I thought you were the voice of reason in here saying there's no way Rubio gets the nom? Stop scaring me. 😫

Makai

Why Trump didn't run for president

With lawsuits pending and shady partners, Trump’s business empire could not withstand the scrutiny of a presidential campaign, and even his kids might have been muddied.

One associate who was an "unindicted co-conspirator" in a massive 2000 stock swindle—and escaped prison only by helping to convict 19 others, including six members of New York crime families
• Two associates who served prison time on cocaine charges
• Another partner prosecuted for trafficking underage girls after a dramatic helicopter raid on a yacht off the Turkish coast
• A pending lawsuit against Trump Soho that alleges daughter Ivanka, among others, made fraudulent misrepresentations

“I had no idea I would get hammered in the way I’ve been hammered,” Donald Trump declared in New Hampshire on May 11, five days before he dropped out of a presidential race he never formally entered.

An ongoing media investigation of Trump’s financial deals—beset by charges of fraudulent misrepresentation—would also have made it harder for NBC to continue touting him as a model American businessman.

Cerium

They'll fall in line when the SCOTUS goes right wing, the ACA gets repealed, etc.

I thought you were the voice of reason in here saying there's no way Rubio gets the nom? Stop scaring me. ��
Rubio wins the nomination, beats Hillary in the general, and replaces Scalia, Thomas, Ginsburg, and Kennedy, creating an ultraconservative 6-3 majority.

Gay marriage illegal again. Abortion outlawed. All remaining campaign finance laws erased. Obamacare overturned.

So Andrew Kaczynski just posed this question:

Curious to see what everyone else's look like.

Even in 2008, Obama lost AZ by *nine* points, the same margin as SC. I think Clinton can get it to within 3 or 4 given how much Hispanics hate Trump but more than that is hard to see. My map would be:

The Obama '12 states
NC
Missouri

Three Hillary ads during the first 75 minutes of Monday Night Raw here in VA, the number of ads is really starting to pick-up. Nothing from Bernie

Cerium

STOP ITttt omg
The strictest Voter ID laws are imposed, permanently depressing liberal turnout. Republicans seize control over every branch of government with supermajorities, eliminating checks and balances. Separation between Church and State is ended forever. Emperor Rubio breaks off diplomatic ties with Cuba and declares war on Iran. The draft is reimposed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hope Hillary isn't wasting too much money.

Please kasich please stay in for another month please please.

pigeon

Banned
I don't think it's impossible that Rubio beats Hillary, but I doubt he can actually accomplish anything. He'd be the Republican Carter, saddled with a Congress with no desire to govern. In the best case scenario he actually ends up with a Democratic Senate and it's impossible to do anything without getting pummeled by the base.

Are there really more than 9 people that cared about Iran holding our dumbfuck, incompetent sailors for a few hours? The GOP keeps bringing this shit up. Or are they just trying to find a reason for war?

If Trump gets to be president, do you think he'd create a task force for finding out if Obama's birth certificate was real? I don't think he'll ever let that go.

So Bernie is giving-up on South Carolina and is only going to try in 4-5 states on Super Tuesday? How exactly is this a good strategy? He's going to get destroyed in several big states, he's gotta try and lower the margin in states like Virginia

So Bernie is giving-up on South Carolina and is only going to try in 4-5 states on Super Tuesday? How exactly is this a good strategy? He's going to get destroyed in several big states, he's gotta try and lower the margin in states like Virginia

I think it's smart to focus on winning Ohio, Michigan etc rather than just lowering the margins in places like Georgia.

Possible he doesn't have the money so he has to make strategic decisions.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I thought you were the voice of reason in here saying there's no way Rubio gets the nom? Stop scaring me. 😫

I have zero belief ACA gets repealed.

I still think Trump wins as long as Cruz and Kasich stay in.

Man I just had flashbacks to 2008.

Famous last words for the last Hillary campaign.
I think I've seen the campaign start talking about how South Carolina is a red state and they're doing better in swing states, which if I remember right the Clinton 08 campaign started doing.

I think it's smart to focus on winning Ohio, Michigan etc rather than just lowering the margins in places like Georgia.
Unless he can lower the margins though in places like Georgia though there's no point winning Ohio or Michigan by a little bit. (Although he's not winning either in polling right now anyway.) Ties and close wins in favourable states aren't really going to net any delegate advantage if she's pulling huge wins elsewhere.

Although, I guess realistically we've all written off his campaign anyway.

OuterLimits

I hope Hillary isn't wasting too much money.

Please kasich please stay in for another month please please.

Why would Kasich drop out? He is second in Michigan and he obviously wants to stay in until Ohio. Perhaps he hopes Rubio falls apart and he is the last establishment guy standing? He needs to avoid more women leaving the kitchen comments though. Crazy that Trump is polling 50% in Massachusetts.

Cruz needs to be careful. He is close to imploding if anymore sleaze tactics happen.

Bowdz

Why would Kasich drop out? He is second in Michigan and he obviously wants to stay in until Ohio. Perhaps he hopes Rubio falls apart and he is the last establishment guy standing? He needs to avoid more women leaving the kitchen comments though. Crazy that Trump is polling 50% in Massachusetts.

Cruz needs to be careful. He is close to imploding if anymore sleaze tactics happen.

Politico (lol) had an article tonight about how much the GOP is pressuring him to drop now. Here's hoping John can withstand the barrage of establishment calls to drop.

User 406

Banned
tumblr_nihx24kWfr1qkn2y7o1_500.jpg

474-All_is_lost.jpg

Bowdz

So, if you're Trump, do you attack Cruz ahead of Super Tuesday to run up the margins, possibly win TX, and try to lock up the delegate lead while risking fatally wounding Cruz causing him to drop benefitting Rubio post ST, or do you start to attack Rubio to try and blunt his momentum since he will obviously be the last to drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom