• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't believe Rubio is going to try to paint Trump as pro-Obama care when Trump has at numerous times in the debates used the word "disaster" to describe it.

CCS

Banned
So hyped for the debate to night, especially with Rubio's recent remarks. We're going to see if Trump can get away with homicide live on national television.

So hyped for the debate to night, especially with Rubio's recent remarks. We're going to see if Trump can get away with homicide live on national television.

Christie already got away with attempted homicide resulting in grievous bodily harm on National TV, so I'm betting on Yes.

I didn't do it. Although, I can't see who did, which I normally can.

The Economist, which previously had treated Trump mostly as an unlikely sideshow has a frontpage article on him as a Presidential contender in this week's edition. In essence:
That is an appalling prospect. The things Mr Trump has said in this campaign make him unworthy of leading one of the world’s great political parties, let alone America. One way to judge politicians is by whether they appeal to our better natures: Mr Trump has prospered by inciting hatred and violence. He is so unpredictable that the thought of him anywhere near high office is terrifying. He must be stopped.

I kind of wonder if US media doing this would basically galvanise his support rather than actually bring people to their senses.

It also made me think, maybe it's not a good thing if he wins the nomination. Because even though I think he'd lose, there's still that possibility he could actually end up President of the most powerful country on the planet.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think you are probably diablosing about the Hillary video. The alternative-- to let her have her say-- is what Bernie did when BLM took over his stage last year. That didn't go over well either. I have no idea how you gracefully handle someone throwing barbs at you in a private event with 6 people. Letting people talk makes you look "weak." Which is unfortunate.

that title change, whooooooooooooo did that

dunno y

Diablos

Holy shit, the people in the OT talking about the video. It's all the evidence they need to say that Hillary isn't worthy of their trust! I guess if you lie to yourself and take her words out of context it would be an easy thing to do.

Fucking ridiculous. Growing tired of the redditization of online discourse. It's a race to the bottom.

Teggy

What the heck was Hillary supposed to do in that situation.

"Answer the question!"
"Ok, in response to your ques..."
Interruption
Repeat

Im sure she'll be able to address the question if someone lets her and do fine.

Diablos

Guess what guys? Hispanics hate Donald Trump. Shocking I know! A new WaPo poll has him trailing Clinton 73 to 16 percent. That's 13 points worse than what Romney did in 2012. With those numbers Trump would have to get Reagan in '84 numbers among whites to win the general.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news..._rhp-top-table-main_poll-710am:homepage/story
Except there's this BLM video of Hillary throwing out a protester! HILLARY IS SO RUDE! I I CAN'T TRUST HER! WE HAVE THE FACTS ON OUR SIDE AND WE'RE VOTING FOR NOTHING
BERNIE
! LET'S MAKE A LOT OF NOISE ONLINE BECAUSE WHY NOT! MAYBE WE CAN RUIN HER TO THE POINT WHERE TRUMP OR RUBIO ARE PRESIDENT AND WE JUST END UP HURTING THE POOR AND MINORITIES EVEN MORE! BRILLIANT!

I am really starting to worry for the safety of politicians when BLM protesters come around. No, I am not racist. But the hatred that goes along with these kinds of videos when they are posted has to be inspiring someone with violent tendencies out there to finally want to act on his or her urges.

The way some of these people form a basis for their argument is so out of touch with reality, it's like they just learned about the concept of debating someone or protesting 2 weeks ago. It's pathetic and sad.

danm999

Y2Kev

Please stop referencing OT threads and posters. Let us moderate those. It makes this place look like even more of an echo chamber. I know some think they are delusional, but if you're right, they'll learn relatively soon.

I think you are probably diablosing about the Hillary video. The alternative-- to let her have her say-- is what Bernie did when BLM took over his stage last year. That didn't go over well either. I have no idea how you gracefully handle someone throwing barbs at you in a private event with 6 people. Letting people talk makes you look "weak." Which is unfortunate.

Appearing weak would have been better. She should have just shut up. Appearing agressive towards a BLM protester was literally the last thing in the world she needed right now

Guess what guys? Hispanics hate Donald Trump. Shocking I know! A new WaPo poll has him trailing Clinton 73 to 16 percent. That's 13 points worse than what Romney did in 2012. With those numbers Trump would have to get Reagan in '84 numbers among whites to win the general.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news..._rhp-top-table-main_poll-710am:homepage/story
doing badly with the fastest growing demographic

the GOP are never going to get George W. Bush levels of support with Hispanics for a long time

Man if I'm wrong on the Texas primaries it'll be by far my single biggest loss ever on PredictIt.

The early voting, the home field advantage, the three million volunteers all make me favor Cruz in an otherwise tie situation.

But the fact that it's an open primary, the fact that Cruz is tanking everywhere else and Trump is gaining momentum, gives me pause.

Don't let me down Ted.

its open in name only. if you're a democrat and want to fiddle around in the GOP primary, you're boned come general election time because you can only vote GOP in November.

HylianTom

Banned
Poll: Trump’s negatives among Hispanics rise; worst in GOP field

Donald Trump has used the issue of immigration to help make himself the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, but his harsh rhetoric also has earned him the highest negative ratings among Hispanic voters of any major GOP hopeful, according to a Washington Post-Univision News poll. ..

Today, 8 in 10 Hispanic voters have an unfavorable view of Trump. That includes more than 7 in 10 who have a “very unfavorable” impression of him, which is more than double the percentage of any other major candidate. ..

The Post-Univision survey tested those four GOP candidates against Clinton and against Sanders. While all trail badly among Hispanics at this point, Trump does the worst — losing the Hispanic vote to Clinton by 73 to 16 percent. That 57-point gap is little changed from a 54-point deficit recorded last June, but is significantly wider than the 44-point margin by which former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney lost Hispanics four years ago and bigger than in any presidential exit poll since the 1970s.

Add this to the recent story about Hispanic turnout increasing, and we have one conclusion: the GOP is fucked. No one can credibly say, "oh, they'll make it up among white voters." There is no way they increase their white vote by enough of a margin to recover, in the event that they nominate this guy.

So please.. proceed.

its open in name only. if you're a democrat and want to fiddle around in the GOP primary, you're boned come general election time because you can only vote GOP in November.

There's no way that's true. Voting is a private act so a party can't bind you to vote for them in the General by you choosing to participate in the primary. They have no way of matching you (and there only recourse would be some kind of civil contract violation).

It's also non-sensical: imagine I'm one of the Mythical Moderate Centrists (who actually values Centrism as an inherently positive quality), lets say party A has 2 candidates : Centristy McCentrist and Crazy Extremist while Party B has 2 candidates A Little Bit Not Moderate and A Lot not Moderate. Because Party A has the most centrist candidate I vote in their primary but my preferred candidate loses and Crazy Extremist wins , while in Party B: A little bit not moderate won. In such a case I obviously desire to vote for Party B in the General because they are closer to my preferred outcome.

There's no way that's true. Voting is a private act so a party can't bind you to vote for them in the General by you choosing to participate in the primary. They have no way of matching you (and there only recourse would be some kind of civil contract violation).

It's also non-sensical: imagine I'm one of the Mythical Moderate Centrists (who actually values Centrism as an inherently positive quality), lets say party A has 2 candidates : Centristy McCentrist and Crazy Extremist while Party B has 2 candidates A Little Bit Not Moderate and A Lot not Moderate. Because Party A has the most centrist candidate I vote in their primary but my preferred candidate loses and Crazy Extremist wins , while in Party B: A little bit not moderate won. In such a case I obviously desire to vote for Party B in the General because they are closer to my preferred outcome.

tis true

By its very definition, Texas has an open primary, but because voters are still restricted to some degree on who they can vote for it is more commonly labeled semi-open. Some independent voters still feel disenfranchised by the election process.

Voters in the state of Texas do not have to publicly identify themselves as a member of a political party when they register to vote. When they go to the polls they can freely choose either the Republican ticket or the Democratic ticket. However, voters cannot vote across party lines. Once a person chooses the ticket they will vote on they can only decide between candidates of that party. Voters in Texas receive a new voter registration card every year so they don’t have to vote on the same ticket each primary election.

However, the system in place doesn’t favor the independent voter. It still requires voters to pick a side rather than vote their conscience. Many independent voters believe that one side doesn’t necessarily have all the answers. There might be one candidate that speaks to them who is a member of one party, but in another race their favored candidate might be running on the other party’s ticket.

its the first question i was asked when handing over my ID, "republican or democrat?" and it's why my fiancee decided against voting in primary because she didn't want to be boxed in.

What? This isn't true at all. You can vote for whoever you want in a general your party registration doesn't matter

User 406

Banned
The thing that keeps getting me is that Obama's traps haven't even been that good. All his plans have counted on the GOP being utter bastards, if they were able to dig their heads out of their asses for even a second they could avoid these traps.

Maybe they're so stuck on their own need to use purity tests that they can't imagine the other side being capable of nominating someone who isn't everything they want, so any nominee must secretly be everything Democrats want.

Also, there's the whole thing where Obama somehow keeps winning against them, so they're scurred. ;P

And nice to see BLM keeping the pressure on. Hillary needs to follow through.

To those of you complaining about the protester not letting Hillary speak, a protest is a protest. It's not an issue ball set up on a tee so the person being protested can knock it out of the park with some insightful off the cuff West Wing dialogue that silences the protesters and convinces everyone of their ultimate righteousness. BLM isn't in the business of getting Democrats elected, they're in the business of drawing attention to the problems black people face. And part of those problems do stem from actions taken by the Clinton administration, no matter how ignorantly well-intentioned they might have been at the time. This is the kind of thing you should expect after the Democratic party has taken minority votes for granted for so long. They're mad, and they have a right to be.

Hillary is going to have cameras following her around for the rest of her life, so she's going to have plenty of time and opportunity to respond to this protest. She's not stupid, and I'm sure she's going to continue getting better with racial justice issues. Every candidate has bad moments like this, and handling them is part of what good candidates do.

Now what you motherfuckers need to do is not flip the fuck out with the same kind of diet racist outrage that's been hurting Bernie's campaign. Those are some bad fucking optics. CALM. THE. FUCK. DOWN.

Y2Kev

Maybe they're so stuck on their own need to use purity tests that they can't imagine the other side being capable of nominating someone who isn't everything they want, so any nominee must secretly be everything Democrats want.

Also, there's the whole thing where Obama somehow keeps winning against them, so they're scurred. ;P

And nice to see BLM keeping the pressure on. Hillary needs to follow through.

To those of you complaining about the protester not letting Hillary speak, a protest is a protest. It's not an issue ball set up on a tee so the person being protested can knock it out of the park with some insightful off the cuff West Wing dialogue that silences the protesters and convinces everyone of their ultimate righteousness. BLM isn't in the business of getting Democrats elected, they're in the business of drawing attention to the problems black people face. And part of those problems do stem from actions taken by the Clinton administration, no matter how ignorantly well-intentioned they might have been at the time. This is the kind of thing you should expect after the Democratic party has taken minority votes for granted for so long. They're mad, and they have a right to be.

Hillary is going to have cameras following her around for the rest of her life, so she's going to have plenty of time and opportunity to respond to this protest. She's not stupid, and I'm sure she's going to continue getting better with racial justice issues. Every candidate has bad moments like this, and handling them is part of what good candidates do.

Now what you motherfuckers need to do is not flip the fuck out with the same kind of diet racist outrage that's been hurting Bernie's campaign. Those are some bad fucking optics. CALM. THE. FUCK. DOWN.

I think:
A) clearly the protest was successful
B) people who want the protestor to be polite are missing the point, but
C) people that expect the respondee (in this case Hillary) to be polite are from another planet

I think I agree that she will get asked about this again soon and should have a good response.

tis true

its the first question i was asked when handing over my ID, "republican or democrat?" and it's why my fiancee decided against voting in primary because she didn't want to be boxed in.

I can find information saying you're bound to a party for the duration of the primaries (ie you can't participate in the party you don't selects proceedings at any time during the primaries)* but I can't find any information suggesting this binds you in the general. You may want to check that with your electoral committee.

*So if you want to select which Republican is running for President , you can't select which Democrat is running for Dogcatcher or School Board or whatever.

I think the worst part of that incident was actually the crowd and their bizarre hissing.
And probably one of the worst things about Clinton's reaction is that she didn't ask them to be quiet.

It's weird since the best candidate-BLM activist interaction/response there's been in the primary was also Clinton's.

Y2Kev

Eh, it was rude but was all over in like 15 seconds. Usually people wait that long before they tell crowds to shut up. But lol old white people.

User 406

Banned
I think the worst part of that incident was actually the crowd and their bizarre hissing.
And probably one of the worst things about Clinton's reaction is that she didn't ask them to be quiet.

Yeah, I don't think candidates need to just give up their stage, but at the very least they can acknowledge the legitimacy of the protest, and make an attempt to keep things civil.

Y2Kev

CLINTON CRUMBLES AS PROTESTORS REMIND HER SHE IS SHIT *link to YouTube videos of why she sucks* *greenwald tweets*

This article was kind of amusing.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...in-in-the-science-of-snap-political-judgments
Irony. Clinton has the most trustworthy face. Carly Fiorina the most competent.

Although Trump has the most extroverted, which sounds about right.

Meanwhile, Chris Christie is the meanest, most frightening and most threatening.
-1x-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom