• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Now Trump is flat out denying comments he made DURING THE DEBATE.

I know people have joked about it before, but no joking here: he honestly speaks like somebody dealing with senility. He rambles, starts addressing a question then completely changes topic, and denies multiple things he says.

After the debate msnbc asked him about the tax thing. He said " I didn't say that"

I don't care if I'm a Hillary super PAC I'm cutting an ad with all that shit he said. Taking advantage of workers. Not paying taxes etc. I know we won't Hillary to put more positive ads out there and she should and has but you don't fucking pass this up

Just curious, how do you all think the debate would have went if Johnson made it on stage?

I think it would have been a shouting match between Johnson and trump with Clinton not being able to get a word in.

I feel like Johnson and Libertarianism isn't able to take part in these debates because their philosophies tend to be so market oriented. What would Gary Johnson say about keeping America safe from home-grown terrorists? What would Gary Johnson say about cyber security? I feel like these things aren't legitimately part of the Libertarian platform. Gary Johnson and the libertarians are almost exclusively business philosophers with an occasional bone to pick with some single hot-button social cause.

I don't know. Gary Johnson and the Libertarian party seems so immature and underdeveloped. I don't think they have anything to contribute to the debate stage.

Maybe I would be proved 100% wrong if Gary Johnson was up there, but I have a hard time imagining it.

Or, hot take:

He did prepare, and that's the best he could do.
Then might as well concede the next 2 debates, because yesterday's performance didn't help him.

Temperament and past comments will be brought up in the town hall and foreign policy debates. If that's his best, he's toast.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
After the debate msnbc asked him about the tax thing. He said " I didn't say that"

I don't care if I'm a Hillary super PAC I'm cutting an ad with all that shit he said. Taking advantage of workers. Not paying taxes etc. I know we won't Hillary to put more positive ads out there and she should and has but you don't fucking pass this up

This is true--we had been talking in here recently about appealing more to the lower- and middle-class, and how Hillary hadn't been doing a great job. Trump gave her like 3 commercials last night. I couldn't believe it. Who brags that they stiffed someone who had done work for them other than the ultra-rich? Who is that statement supposed to appeal to?

Teggy

Watching Kaine get interviewed on MSNBC. He really is sharp, should do great in the debate.

Chris Jansing is a few months short of 60? Wow.

Tamanon

Banned
He did some preparation as he had a few small new arguments or "facts" he sprinkled in, but just enough to know when would be a decent time to drop them. No real understanding still of anything.

He did some preparation as he had a few small new arguments or "facts" he sprinkled in, but just enough to know when would be a decent time to drop them. No real understanding still of anything.

The birther question was an example of this. He had his whole spiel all ready, but then he ended up sort of half assing the prepared response, and falling apart part through the statement and then just collapsed into a racist black hole.

He also would throw unrelated talking points in. He went on a weird tangent on NATO during a discussion on home grown terrorism.

I still believe that is the best he can do. He had a few sprinkled things in there. But, the thing is, he just can't control himself. He can't stay on message because his skin is thin as all hell. There's no way he can change in 2 weeks. This is who he is. There is only one Trump.

I still believe that is the best he can do. He had a few sprinkled things in there. But, the thing is, he just can't control himself. He can't stay on message because his skin is thin as all hell. There's no way he can change in 2 weeks. This is who he is. There is only one Trump.

Agreed, but the Clinton campaign can't afford to be complacent and assume he won't change.

So back to debate prep.

Blader

I lol'd at Jeff Weaver saying the election is a coin toss right now. How in the hell did Bernie get stuck with such a goon as his campaign manager?

I lol'd at Jeff Weaver saying the election is a coin toss right now. How in the hell did Bernie get stuck with such a goon as his campaign manager?

It's a coin toss with Hillary Clinton involved so he's lowkey implying this election is going to be RIGGED.

kP9bjrW.png

Pushing the 30 years line seems to be a loser. If he said the last 15 it would have more impact. But it comes off as exaggerated and not serious.

I think he could do somewhat better, but its too late. Its obvious he doesn't know the issues enough, and he cant learn them in 2 weeks time while also campaigning and doing all the other things he has to do. It would be like needing to answer 3 part essay questions live after only doing an all night study binge.

Wilsongt

Bernie supporters are saying Trump won. It's all part of the cult of Bernie personality.

All they can repeat are hash tags about the DNC hack, emails, and something called Stonetear.

Hopfrog

Mel Robbins on CNN:

As a Clinton supporter, it pains me to say Trump won.
Clinton was too restrained, too smart -- and as much as I hate to say it -- she was too presidential. And being presidential won't help her win the election. She spoke to the intellectuals tuning in; she did not speak to the average American.

Who is this person and why is her opinion so awful?

Oh, S.E. Cupp also claiming Trump won. Yeah, sure.

I wonder if there is a single person in the US who watched that debate and switched their vote from Hillary to Trump. Statistically speaking they probably have to exist somewhere, right?

Bowdz

Mel Robbins on CNN:

This is the self fulfilling prophecy of the media. If you keep lowering the bar for discourse, don't be surprised when the public defaults to being below the bar.

I know people have joked about it before, but no joking here: he honestly speaks like somebody dealing with senility. He rambles, starts addressing a question then completely changes topic, and denies multiple things he says.

What's he denying?

Wilsongt

I wonder if there is a single person in the US who watched that debate and switched their vote from Hillary to Trump. Statistically speaking they probably have to exist somewhere, right?

South Carolina. Saw an interview last night with technical college students under 30 who switched support to Trump.

Plumbob

I think attention deficit might be more accurate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What's he denying?

When Hillary was talking about him not paying taxes, and he cut her off and said, "That makes me smart."

He was asked about it after the debate and denied ever saying it.

Veelk

Banned
Mel Robbins on CNN:

I don't understand this line of criticism.

It's basically

ryan.jpg

I'm sorry, but are we really supposed to believe that if she came out looking less presidential, that wouldn't be criticized as a reason for why she shouldn't be president?

This criticism of her being too prepared, too presidential, too qualified and competent a candidate is just so backwards I can't wrap my mind around it.

Mel Robbins on CNN:

Fun fact, this is a high school friend/acquaintence of mine. I think she says stuff to get reactions, she had a radio show in Boston for a while.

Plinko

LOL now Hannity "can't find" the shows where Trump supposedly was on with him and publicly spoke against the war:

Hannity: "I’ve had people go through the archives and unfortunately we’ve changed syndicators and stations and it’s hard to get ahold of."

Loudninja

Onion News: Viewers Impressed By How Male Trump Looked During Debate
HEMPSTEAD, NY—Saying the Republican nominee exhibited just the qualities they were looking for in the country’s next leader, viewers throughout the nation reported Monday night that they were impressed by how male Donald Trump appeared throughout the first debate. “Just the way he carried himself up there on the debate stage, Trump definitely came off very male tonight,” said Amarillo, TX resident Brad Miller, adding that he was repeatedly struck by Trump’s body language, behavior, and vocal characteristics, which he said imbued the candidate with a distinctive male air that he found reassuring. “He conducted himself in an extremely male manner all night long regardless of the topic he was discussing, and that definitely resonated with me. I can easily see him being male for the next four years.” Viewers admitted that while Hillary Clinton seemed intelligent and capable throughout the debate, she failed to project the suitable male demeanor necessary to hold the Oval Office.
http://www.theonion.com/article/viewers-impressed-how-male-trump-looked-during-deb-54030

Hopfrog

LOL now Hannity "can't find" the shows where Trump supposedly was on with him and publicly spoke against the war:

Hmm, interesting. They claim to know everything Hillary said or thought going back thirty years, but they are at a loss to find some video clips from a show they produce.

That masterful debate performance from Hillary definitely amped me up. I hope she carries this momentum and harnesses through this last leg of the campaigning.

Me and my mom are ready to phone bank and volunteer and do whatever it takes to help the orange turd lose.

sazzy

LsnPNDd.png

In 48-72 hours, this headline will morph into something along the lines of 'Hillary had a seizure during the debate'

What was wrong with the email answer? It was short, succinct, and to the point. She closed the book on that pretty easily.

I thought it was a bit "made a mistake, lets move on, get over it". But I'm 100% sure someone at the town hall will ask her about it, so it's not going away.

Watching Kaine get interviewed on MSNBC. He really is sharp, should do great in the debate.

Chris Jansing is a few months short of 60? Wow.

Being pegged with the friendly dad persona is a pretty great frame for a guy who's Harvard law to enter the debates with. Kaine is good at appealing to moderates/winning in purple territory, and he's going up against a tea partier who's frankly IMO a bit of an empty suit. I don't think the VP debate matters too much, but I think it'll be a good night for us, too.

KingK

My initial impression of the debate after it ended:

-Trump started out sounding like a very dumb man with very smart and sinister people whispering in his ear. He was making the right strategic moves, but was too stupid to deliver effectively.

-Clinton stated ok, but seemed kinda nervous. I was a little worried about it at this point, but trade was probably going to be the hardest part for her anyway.

-Trump talked about helping the rich, Clinton the middle class. Really wish Clinton would also talk about the poor. Nobody talks about the poor.

-Once it moved to racial discussion, Trump couldn't help but be Trump and started going downhill fast.

-I actually got really pissed when Trump defended his housing discrimination thing by saying he got away with it without admitting guilt, and ended up yelling at the screen in frustration. YOU MEAN IT WAS EASY TO GET AWAY WITH DISCRIMINATION IN THE 70s?! NO SHIT!

-Clinton did well on this topic overall, but I felt she missed a few opportunities, and wish she would have called out more of the insane number of dog whistles he was throwing out there.

-Did I hear incorrectly, or did Clinton at one point say that stop and frisk worked?

-Clinton was already winning, but Trump setting her up with the temperament rant was the knockout blow.

-Everything after that was a broken Trump and an A performance from Hillary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom