• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone last night posted a hilarious Grover Norquist tweet about "vaper's rights" or whatever. This guy is a true believer about how vaping is like one of the last bits of freedom left in the country and harps on it all the damn time (and is still going on about it this morning). He routinely brings up the "coalition that will take down Hillary Clinton," which includes the unlikely hodgepodge of vapers, gun owners and Uber drivers.

I'm not sure when the switch from "that tax reform guy" to "that vaping guy" happened, but it's pretty funny to follow. For instance, he was just at Burning Man a couple weeks ago. Grover Norquist. At Burning Man. Hilarious.

It reminds me of Tim Heidecker's recent "nutritional vaping" kick. So weird.

Valhelm

contribute something
LsnPNDd.png

In 48-72 hours, this headline will morph into something along the lines of 'Hillary had a seizure during the debate'

Oh it's already started

according to /pol/, her finger movements are proof of some terminal illness

My initial impression of the debate after it ended:

-Trump started out sounding like a very dumb man with very smart and sinister people whispering in his ear. He was making the right strategic moves, but was too stupid to deliver effectively.

-Clinton stated ok, but seemed kinda nervous. I was a little worried about it at this point, but trade was probably going to be the hardest part for her anyway.

-Trump talked about helping the rich, Clinton the middle class. Really wish Clinton would also talk about the poor. Nobody talks about the poor.

-Once it moved to racial discussion, Trump couldn't help but be Trump and started going downhill fast.

-I actually got really pissed when Trump defended his housing discrimination thing by saying he got away with it without admitting guilt, and ended up yelling at the screen in frustration. YOU MEAN IT WAS EASY TO GET AWAY WITH DISCRIMINATION IN THE 70s?! NO SHIT!

-Clinton did well on this topic overall, but I felt she missed a few opportunities, and wish she would have called out more of the insane number of dog whistles he was throwing out there.

-Did I hear incorrectly, or did Clinton at one point say that stop and frisk worked?

-Clinton was already winning, but Trump setting her up with the temperament rant was the knockout blow.

-Everything after that was a broken Trump and an A performance from Hillary.

You heard incorrectly. She said repeatedly that it didn't work.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have to say, I feel like when we look back this is going to be what won the election for her. When she looked into the camera to tell NATO and all our allies that we'll always honor our treaties and deals, in that moment she was the president. You could see her behind the podium with the seal of the president on it very clearly in that moment. If she can manage to create that same image in the next two debates then there's no way she loses this.

I have to say, I feel like when we look back this is going to be what won the election for her. When she looked into the camera to tell NATO and all our allies that we'll always honor our treaties and deals, in that moment she was the president. You could see her behind the podium with the seal of the president on it very clearly in that moment. If she can manage to create that same image in the next two debates then there's no way she loses this.

I think that moment is being seriously underrated. That was the moment she was president. Of the entire debate, that part actually stuck with me more than anything else said by either of them.

It reminded me of 2008 Obama during the financial crisis, when he started acting like president. Sitting down and talking with people on how to solve the problem, while McCain was off doing whatever.

sazzy

Right, but that particular comment greatly disturbed me, suggesting that he'd risk US lives (not to mention Iran) over his own fragile ego. In fact, it might be the most Trump thing he said that night.

I don't think he gives much of a shit about soldiers dying or getting hurt. Re: McCain, Khan family

In any case, his first reaction would be to fire a nuke, not send in an army.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think that moment is being seriously underrated. That was the moment she was president. Of the entire debate, that part actually stuck with me more than anything else said by either of them.

It reminded me of 2008 Obama during the financial crisis, when he started acting like president. Sitting down and talking with people on how to solve the problem, while McCain was off doing whatever.

It was incredibly sad that she had to say what she did there though. I guess the reports of world leaders giving Obama panicked calls every so often aren't entirely off base.

PBY

Banned
Honestly, she did great.

To me she only has one weakness, and its TPP. And its tough for her, because Trump is actually attacking her with the truth, and he's right about everything he accused her of.

Re: 95% of people not changing their vote above.

Getting just the majority of that 5% is the definition of the undecideds (and is a group that probably wasn't originally labeled in the actual 'undecided' category) and would swing the election in her favor. So, I'm not sure why they want to clarify that point.

Honestly, she did great.

To me she only has one weakness, and its TPP. And its tough for her, because Trump is actually attacking her with the truth, and he's right about everything he accused her of.

Trump actually asking Hillary to condemn Obama for TPP was the only part of the entire debate I was legitimately worried. She ended up giving a canned nothing answer and the moderator moved on.

And what Trump's point wasn't really wrong either. If Hillary thinks TPP is a bad deal, then asking her to blame Obama for it isn't really that much of a stretch.

thebloo

Honestly, she did great.

Not that right.

In fairness to Clinton, the TPP was still under negotiation when Clinton made the "gold standard" comment. The partners only finalized the deal this year. It’s quite possible the deal looks dramatically different than it did at the early stages of negotiations, when Clinton was at the State Department -- something Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill pointed out to us for this fact-check. The negotiations have been conducted in secret, so it’s hard for us to assess that ourselves. Also, as secretary of state, she spoke as a representative of the Obama administration, which was and remains wholeheartedly in favor of the deal.

Sure, it's a good political attack, especially on a subject that nobody fucking knows a thing about.

Teggy

Everything is terrible

Stocks rose as data showed American consumer confidence rose to the highest since 2007 and speculation grew that presidential nominee Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump in their first debate. Mexico’s peso rallied. Oil sank.

PBY

Banned
Not that right.

Sure, it's a good political attack, especially on a subject that nobody fucking knows a thing about.

Not even the gold standard point. Its clear that she does support it, despite her waffling on it, and Obama supports it.

So she gets slammed between the Bernie contingent and Obama.

Veelk

Banned
What I love about this debate is that Hillary Clinton did in one debate what over a dozen republican primary candidates couldn't in several. I know they'll never admit it. But still, it's delicious how she was the one who managed to get trump to implode on himself, just like that.

Emarv

Hill just gave a mini press conference on her plane. Did great. Addressed the 2nd debate thing the exact way we wanted "If i'm the only one on that debate stage, so be it".

At the end, somebody snuck in a question about Trump's microphone comment. Her quick response "You know anybody talking about microphone issues is not having a good night."

dammnnnnnn

PBY

Banned
Hill just gave a mini press conference on her plane. Did great. Addressed the 2nd debate thing the exact way we wanted "If i'm the only one on that debate stage, so be it".

At the end, somebody snuck in a question about Trump's microphone comment. Her quick response "You know anybody talking about microphone issues is not having a good night."

dammnnnnnn

She's killing it.

That was Donald Trump. It's the same Donald Trump we've seen.

There is no other Donald Trump.

He got where is today because he was born into money, and has managed to sucker money out of other people. Not because he was particularly smart or studious.

And he got where he is in politics by being a bloviating loudmouth.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hillary needs to kick it into overdrive such that she comes close to dying. So maybe take four more weeks off.

I still don't get what he has against Rosie O'Donnell. What bad blood is there between the two of them? In seriousness it was hilarious that he tried to bring her up to deflect claims of misogyny. It's obvious the only reason he did that is because it worked once in that primary debate.

That was Donald Trump. It's the same Donald Trump we've seen.

There is no other Donald Trump.

He got where is today because he was born into money, and has managed to sucker money out of other people. Not because he was particularly smart or studious.

And he got where he is in politics by being a bloviating loudmouth.
I feel the "Trump is a secret political jiujitsu master at setting expectations and surprising at the debates" theory lost a lot of credence last night to the simpler "Trump is a moron"

What I love about this debate is that Hillary Clinton did in one debate what over a dozen republican primary candidates couldn't in several. I know they'll never admit it. But still, it's delicious how she was the one who managed to get trump to implode on himself, just like that.

Most of the GOP debates were the other candidates pounding each other while treating Trump with kid gloves because they assumed he would fade away and wanted his support. If they had gone after him hard after New Hampshire, Cruz or Rubio would probably be the nominee and they would have a very good chance of becoming the next President.

dammnnnnnn

Nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom