• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Matthews fails to understand that Trump's campaign has never been about trade, immigration and stupid wars. It's always been about Trump.

Grief.exe

Can we talk about how creepy this guy looks

4wI9t0qV.jpg

Revolver

Chris Matthews fails to understand that Trump's campaign has never been about trade, immigration and stupid wars. It's always been about Trump.

That annoys me about Chris. I got a kick out of Ron Reagan on Trump's fatshaming "He isn't exactly Jack Lalane."

Joeytj

Banned
Trump only cares about trade and the economy in so far as concerns because his own identity, he thinks the U.S. not being #1 at certain things makes him feel bad about HIMSELF, pretty much why most of his supporters are voting for him also, and why a lot of us vote the way we do to, although we don't like to admit it.

But Trump takes this to a whole other level, of course. If suddenly China or Mexico would find a way to prosper using pure renewable energy, he would be jealous of that too and suddenly love the idea of fighting global warming.

And the Machado tired proves that he cares more about himself that anything else. It's not even a question of "being smart", it's just his priorities.

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...ts-only-elite-fact-less-open-world-would-hurt
IN SEPTEMBER 1843 the Liverpool Mercury reported on a large free-trade rally in the city. The Royal Amphitheatre was overflowing. John Bright, a newly elected MP, spoke eloquently on the merits of abolishing duties on imported food, echoing arguments made in The Economist, a fledgling newspaper. Mr Bright told his audience that when canvassing, he had explained “how stonemasons, shoemakers, carpenters and every kind of artisan suffered if the trade of the country was restricted.” His speech in Liverpool was roundly cheered.
Trump, incoherent on so many fronts, is clear in this area: unfair competition from foreigners has destroyed jobs at home. He threatens to dismantle the North American Free Trade Agreement, withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and start a trade war with China. To her discredit, Hillary Clinton now denounces the TPP, a pact she helped negotiate.
Exports of goods rose from 8% of world GDP in 1950 to almost 20% a half-century later. Export-led growth and foreign investment have dragged hundreds of millions out of poverty in China, and transformed economies from Ireland to South Korea.
Exporting firms are more productive and pay higher wages than those that serve only the domestic market. Half of America’s exports go to countries with which it has a free-trade deal, even though their economies account for less than a tenth of global GDP.

Protectionism, by contrast, hurts consumers and does little for workers. The worst-off benefit far more from trade than the rich. A study of 40 countries found that the richest consumers would lose 28% of their purchasing power if cross-border trade ended; but those in the bottom tenth would lose 63%. The annual cost to American consumers of switching to non-Chinese tyres after Barack Obama slapped on anti-dumping tariffs in 2009 was around $1.1 billion, according to the Peterson Institute for International Economics. That amounts to over $900,000 for each of the 1,200 jobs that were “saved”.
None of this is to deny that globalisation has its flaws. Since the 1840s advocates of free trade have known that, though the great majority benefit, some lose out. Too little has been done to help these people. Perhaps a fifth of the 6m or so net job losses in American manufacturing between 1999 and 2011 stemmed from Chinese competition; many of those who lost jobs did not find new ones.
America spends a paltry 0.1% of its GDP, one-sixth of the rich-country average, on policies to retrain workers and help them find new jobs. In this context, it is lamentable that neither Mr Trump nor Mrs Clinton offers policies to help those whose jobs have been affected by trade or cheaper technology. On migration, it makes sense to follow the example of Denmark and link local-government revenues to the number of incomers, so that strains on schools, hospitals and housing can be eased. Many see the rules that bind signatories to trade pacts as an affront to democracy. But there are ways that shared rules can enhance national autonomy. Harmonising norms on how multinational firms are taxed would give countries greater command over their public finances. A co-ordinated approach to curbing volatile capital flows would restore mastery over national monetary policy.
Rawrrrr TPPPPP. Rawr. Boo. Rawr.
Look at me holding signs with my weak grip strength.
Sent from my iPhone.

The only way that the FRAUD rethoric would work is by:

1. Having a very close race, sub 2% difference, like how Bush won
2. Hillary steamrolling Trump in a never before seen GOP stomp

If the popular vote difference is ample enough, only Trump's hardcore base would support him for a couple of months, while most of his Pundits, surrogates and supporters would just throw their hands up in the air and let it go as a loss.

The better the support for HRC, the less effective the FRAUD tactic is.

Wilsongt

The only way that the FRAUD rethoric would work is by:

1. Having a very close race, sub 2% difference, like how Bush won
2. Hillary steamrolling Trump in a never before seen GOP stomp

If the popular vote difference is ample enough, only Trump's hardcore base would support him for a couple of months, while most of his Pundits, surrogates and supporters would just throw their hands up in the air and let it go as a loss.

The better the support for HRC, the less effective the FRAUD tactic is.

BUT 20 DEAD PEOPLE REGISTERED TO VOTE?! CAN YOU NOT SEE THE RAMPANT FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUD?!

Diablos

"Make sure it is on the up-and-up."

Trump saying that Clinton is going to commit voter fraud.

Holy fuck he is gone.

"That'd be one hell of a way to lose."
https://twitter.com/NYTnickc/status/781978258665381888
Two of my coworkers were arguing today. One is a Republican, other one is a Democrat. They both dislike Trump. They seem to be convinced that Trump is going to contest any Hillary victory no matter how wide or narrow the margin of victory will be due to news of hacking or some other "rigged" reasoning and will go to the courts, throwing the nation into turmoil. I tend to stay out of politics at work but I feel like this is possible. Trump can't accept losing. Period.

Any people show up to be election monitors gonna get their shit pushed in if they step out of line at the polling place I run.

AKA

1. One warning depending on what they do
2. Told to leave at next infraction
3. Have the police called to arrest them.

Is this at all in response to some of the trump supporters who I heard were out having 'conversations' with people outside polling places in Madison to get them to vote for Paul Ryan's opponent in the primary?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Seriously Clinton looks glowing these days. Strong, healthy, happy, confident. Good luck in debate #2, trump.

Boke1879

Two of my coworkers were arguing today. One is a Republican, other one is a Democrat. They both dislike Trump. They seem to be convinced that Trump is going to contest any Hillary victory no matter how wide or narrow the margin of victory will be due to news of hacking or some other "rigged" reasoning and will go to the courts, throwing the nation into turmoil. I tend to stay out of politics at work but I feel like this is possible. Trump can't accept losing. Period.

Yup. I highly doubt he writes a concession speech. And he'll just say the system is rigged. Trump and his cronies are setting a dangerous precedent with this line of speaking.

Mizerman

Well yeah, Orange Man will go screaming into the night rather than accepting defeat.

Diablos

Yup. I highly doubt he writes a concession speech. And he'll just say the system is rigged. Trump and his cronies are setting a dangerous precedent with this line of speaking.

Well yeah, Orange Man will go screaming into the night rather than accepting defeat.
But the question is what will he do after he says the system is rigged and screams his head off? Fade away or seriously challenge the results?

But the question is what will he do after he says the system is rigged and screams his head off? Fade away or seriously challenge the results?

Challenging it would require actual work and money to do. If the GOP is like "nah not today" then he'll be on twitter, claim his lawyers are preparing the a tremendous case like you wouldn't believe...

Diablos

He's not going to be able to do shit. He can be a man child all he wants. No one will listen or care.
What if he can get enough states to go along with him?

Honestly though if it would go all the way up to the SCOTUS i don't see Kennedy or Roberts throwing him a bone.

jonjonaug

Honestly though if it would go all the way up to the SCOTUS i don't see Kennedy or Roberts throwing him a bone.

Some of the right-wing justices can be real bastards, but I don't think there's any one of them that would throw Trump a bone.

If he doesn't immediately take it to court, then he's not serious. If he does, then he's at the mercy of the Supreme Court.

lmao Anderson Cooper just now

You guys must watch this

Paraphrase "He not only took the bait, but went back into the waters and started swimming and swimming without knowing he swallowed the whole hook"

It would not reach the SCOTUS. Specially if he loses by more than 3% popular vote. You just don't back a loser unless you are pretty sure he won.

Diablos

It would not reach the SCOTUS. Specially if he loses by more than 3% popular vote. You just don't back a loser unless you are pretty sure he won.
He could cite claims of polling places having their machines hacked or a county elections results website being compromised etc. Just enough to throw the country into turmoil.

Paskil

I've heard that Trump has a YUUUUUUUUGE cock*, like all of you gays would love it, whether you are a top or bottom.

In Trump's hands, his penis appears very large, by regular standards, it is strictly average sized.

He could cite claims of polling places having their machines hacked or a county elections results website being compromised etc. Just enough to throw the country into turmoil.

It wouldn't gain traction. Trust me on this, I live in a country where fraud actually has happened in a presidential election and the most that the guy who ran and lost with less than 1% popular vote got was his own party.

If Trump wants, he can run his own party afterwards, but no way it would mean anything more than that or reach SCOTUS. If just 30% of reps thrown him under the bus he is done.

Diablos

Republicans have no backbone when it comes to standing up to the extreme voices in their party when it counts. If they did, they would have never let him continue to run as a GOP candidate, even if Trump threatened a third party run. I can just see them saying all the right things a lot of the time but never actually doing anything to hinder Trump trying to cheat his way into winning. The SCOTUS is on the line after all.

Grief.exe

It wouldn't gain traction. Trust me on this, I live in a country where fraud actually has happened in a presidential election and the most that the guy who ran and lost with less than 1% popular vote got was his own party.

If Trump wants, he can run his own party afterwards, but no way it would mean anything more than that or reach SCOTUS. If just 30% of reps thrown him under the bus he is done.

It would most assuredly gain traction.

We're talking about a party that constantly peddles in conspiracy theories, a candidate who isn't just getting 1% of the electorate but ~40%, and a segment of the population that is heavily armed and deemed the largest threat to the country by the FBI.

I'm at this white dude's business and he makes African drums by hand and he has healing crystals all around the building and his dog looks like she eats pot brownie.

I have found the Jill Stein voter as well as the site of a future polio outbreak.

Paskil

Is this at all in response to some of the trump supporters who I heard were out having 'conversations' with people outside polling places in Madison to get them to vote for Paul Ryan's opponent in the primary?

I didn't hear about this. I had some random Jane Doe voter at my polling place in April that was joking around about Trump and I told her she had to stop immediately or she needed to leave. I don't care if you are left, right, center, or whatever. As a policy analyst, I take the law seriously. If it says no discussion of politics at the polling place, there is no goddamn discussion of politics in my polling place.

I have only worked as a chief inspector in three elections, so I might be missing some stuff, but I don't mess around in how serious I take my role in election work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom