• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright PoliGAF, riddle me this.

Is there a reason why the US is at odds with the rest of the world in terms of the political colors?

I come at this from a Canadian Perspective, where "Red" always meant "Liberal", and "Blue" always meant "Conservative". And from what I gather worldwide most countries follow a similar color scheme.

Why exactly is the US the opposite?

Why are Republicans red and Democrats blue?

In 1976, NBC debuted its first election map on the air, with bulbs that turned red for Carter-won states (Democratic), and blue for Ford (Republican). This original color scheme was based on Great Britain's political system, which used red to denote the more liberal party. However, other stations used different colors and designations for a variety of ideological and aesthetic reasons, which often differed from person to person.

The color coding we're familiar with today didn't stick until the iconic (and extremely lengthy) election of 2000, when The New York Times and USA Today published their first full-color election maps. The Times spread used red for Republicans because "red begins with r, Republican begins with r," said the senior graphics editor Archie Tse, "it was a more natural association." The election, which didn't end until mid-December, firmly established Democrats as the blue party and Republicans as the red — denotations which will likely hold fast for some time to come.

Diablos

Is there a reason why the US is at odds with the rest of the world in terms of the political colors?

I come at this from a Canadian Perspective, where "Red" always meant "Liberal", and "Blue" always meant "Conservative". And from what I gather worldwide most countries follow a similar color scheme.

Because we've gotta be special! American exceptionalism!
We still use the Imperial system for fuck's sake...

It used to depend on the network and the parties had no official colors but after the Bush v Gore election mess pundits kept referring to red and blue states during the whole thing and it stuck.

Revolver

Lol glenn beck in MTP, why? This asshole is one of those reaponsible for this political climate. He was Trump before Trump.

Now he wants everyone to think that hes some sort of virtuous independent.

"" I was warning everyone about the rise of the uber right" yea dick wad because you were part of it, you dumb ass top 40 DJ

Yeah he was right about the thing he fed, nurtured and got rich off of for years. It's so ridiculous how he's trying to make himself out to be some above it all man of conscience.

I'm still giggling over Rudy's defense about his past.

Chuck Todd: But you have a history of infidelity
Rudy Giuliani: Everybody does.

Umm, how about no?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah he was right about the thing he fed, nurtured and got rich off of for years. It's so ridiculous how he's trying to make himself out to be some above it all man of conscience.

I'm still giggling over Rudy's defense about his past.

Chuck Todd: But you have a history of infidelity
Rudy Giuliani: Everybody does.

Umm, how about no?

Yeah, no, Rudy. Everybody does not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sam Stein ‏@samsteinhp 14m14 minutes ago

Donald Trump randomly accused Hillary Clinton of cheating on Bill last night.

I mean, it just happened. And we largely moved on

I agree with this. How does America just move on from this like nothing?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Watched the SNL debate skit.

Kate McKinnon has amazing reaction faces.

by68m2u.gif

I71ZCPf.gif

So in what way does this reflect reality at all?

Does Trump attacking Machado telling us to check out her sex tape not count?
Trump had a chance to ignore the story, but instead he went on the offense.

In what world does Trump want to only focus on jobs and the economy?
Is it when he held a conference about the birther movement?

Is it when he accused Hillary of cheating on Bill?
It it when he attacked the Khan Family?
Is it when he re-attacked Rosie O'Donnell?

The new narrative Trump and his campaign are projecting is that Clinton doesn't want to talk about the issues and that she has no real policy ideas.

This style of campaign mudslinging is Trump's bread and butter. He thrives in an environment of name calling and hyperbole. He doesn't thrive in an environment based around ideas and policy. Clinton holds her own, but her campaign would rather talk about issues. She wants to govern.

Plinko

LOL at Trump carrying the "economy and jobs" briefcase when he had zero plans for anything at the debate.

Fuchsdh

Does Trump attacking Machado telling us to check out her sex tape not count?
Trump had a chance to ignore the story, but instead he went on the offense.

In what world does Trump want to only focus on jobs and the economy?
Is it when he held a conference about the birther movement?

Is it when he accused Hillary of cheating on Bill?
It it when he attacked the Khan Family?
Is it when he re-attacked Rosie O'Donnell?

The new narrative Trump and his campaign are projecting is that Clinton doesn't want to talk about the issues and that she has no real policy ideas.

This style of campaign mudslinging is Trump's bread and butter. He thrives in an environment of name calling and hyperbole. He doesn't thrive in an environment based around ideas and policy. Clinton holds her own, but her campaign would rather talk about issues. She wants to govern.

Even if you take the cartoon as representational of the truth... they're admitting their candidate can't take the high road and can be baited that easily. So they've still shown Trump is an idiot.

Even if you take the cartoon as representational of the truth... they're admitting their candidate can't take the high road and can be baited that easily. So they've still shown Trump is an idiot.
Well no, because it seems more like he's just going about his business and ignoring Hillary. Even though he clearly isn't.

It must take a special kind of delusion to assume Trump's in the driver's seat when he's polling at 40% on a fairly regular basis.

Plinko

Nate Silver is "Dead Heating" again, stating that the New Mexico poll with Gary Johnosn so high means the map with an Electoral College deadlock is "plausible."

Of course, that is with Trump winning every single swing state and Gary Johnson winning New Mexico.

Nate Silver is "Dead Heating" again, stating that the New Mexico poll with Gary Johnosn so high means the map with an Electoral College deadlock is "plausible."

Of course, that is with Trump winning every single swing state and Gary Johnson winning New Mexico.
I understand now why Nate's model gets really freaky about outliers

Because Nate does too!

His libertarian ideology might be clouding his mind here, he wants to believe Johnson could win a House election.

I think that UPI/CVOTER poll has gone in the opposite direction of every polling trend since the conventions, that's kind of impressive but no surprise given how stupid the methodology is.

NeoXChaos

A lot of the polling is noise. Too many undecideds and Hillary or Trump mired in the 30's-40's. Someones's going to have to get to 50%.

Later October will hopefully be the time.

I understand now why Nate's model gets really freaky about outliers

Because Nate does too!

His libertarian ideology might be clouding his mind here, he wants to believe Johnson could win a House election.
Nate tries too hard to make elections seem like sport, using lots of Basketball and Football analogies such as : "chances of Hillary losing is the same as missing a field goal kick" crap like that or ".... missing a Free Throw"

Nate Silver at end if the day is an ESPN employee

Mac_Lane

Nate tries too hard to make elections seem like sport, using lots of Basketball and Football analogies such as : "chances of Hillary losing is the same as missing a field goal kick" crap like that or ".... missing a Free Throw"

Nate Silver at end if the day is an ESPN employee

Actually, it's the New York Times' Upshot which does that :

The Upshot’s elections model suggests that Hillary Clinton is favored to win the presidency, based on the latest state and national polls. A victory by Mr. Trump remains quite possible: Mrs. Clinton’s chance of losing is about the same as the probability that an N.F.L. kicker misses a 44-yard field goal.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Simple.

Trump threw Alicia in the mud, Hillary dived in to rescue her, Trump stole Hillary's briefcase and is sneaking away backwards hoping to escape with Hillary's policies to replace his own soiled ones.

faisal233

I think you are reading what you want out of that article.

But plausible is a long way from likely. It’s not far-fetched to think the Electoral College would be close enough that New Mexico would make the difference, and it’s not totally crazy to think that Johnson could win his home state. But for both to occur together is quite a parlay.1 In 20,000 simulations of our polls-only model this morning, cases in which neither Clinton or Trump received a majority of electoral votes and Johnson received at least one came up just 30 times, putting the chances at 0.15 percent. Most of those did involve Johnson winning New Mexico, sometimes along with Alaska (probably his second-best state).

A somewhat more common deadlock scenario is if Trump and Clinton each get 269 electoral votes without Johnson getting any. The chances of that are about 0.4 percent.

The consensus in poligaf that Nate's model has turned into shit this election (the model only gets scrutiny in neogaf when hillary is down) is usually backed by this kind of cherry picking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom