• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
Thread needs some fact checks:
John Mirande • 10 hours ago
One thing this election has brought out is Paul Ryan is not a good man......i am sorry I try to be civil but I can't help thinking what a weasel he is.....so sorry!!!

HalfMoments John Mirande • 10 hours ago
Waiting for Ryan to denounce Hillary Clinton's many offensive statments and actions.

Number 41 HalfMoments • 10 hours ago
Two Laws. One for potty mouths. And another for Lib Dem Rapists who get to be President.

Deplorable_Tyrannicus_Rex Number 41 • 10 hours ago
Ryan is a Democratic party mole, he was just looking for an excuse to unhook from Trump. Meanwhile back at the open borders anti American camp, Hillary and Paul Ryan scheme....

Anglospherical_Harmonics HardCorps • 9 hours ago
And b*tchy Ryan is the worst of them all.

Jedimaster Trump✓ᵀʳᵘᵐᵖˡᵒʳᵃᵇˡᵉ Anglospherical_Harmonics • 9 hours ago
I AM SO F-ING SICK AND TIRED OF

THAT LITTLE TURNCOUT MOLE HAIRLESSPUSSYEDDIEMUNSTERJUNIOR
GLOBALISTASSHOLIO
PAUL RYAN!

If Trump wins, I want him to call this ratturdocrat out during his acceptance speech and tell him "resign your speaker ship Eddie Munster."

Liberty Belle Jedimaster Trump✓ᵀʳᵘᵐᵖˡᵒʳᵃᵇˡᵉ • 5 hours ago
Would love to see that! So sick of Ryan. He will do everything he can to roadblock Trump's policies. He needs to go!

AMERICA FIRST Liberty Belle • 3 hours ago
Me too, what a coincidence that the joke was made 12 years ago and Eddie Munster Ryan invited Trump to his rally tomorrow. Now Rino Ryan used it to get 15 minutes of attention (INFAMY).

This scam has Ryan, Slick Will and Killary’s marks all over it…that’s pretty low!!!

The Young soros team, Eddie Munster Ryan and Reince Priebus have not given up on removing Trump although the election is next month. They want to give this election to Hillary and have caused chaos and trouble for Trump since day one.

★ VOTE RINO RYAN OUT ON NOVEMBER 08, 2016
★ VOTE TRUMP NO MORE CUCKOO HILLARY & HER CRISES.
Teachem-Twice HardCorps • 9 hours ago
Ryan's a sith-illy wittle FRUIT CAKE! While thousands of young girls have had "locker room talk" about wanting to be 'felt-up' by men, —like the Donald, it's a guarantee that had silly Ryan new a woman talked about him like that he'd run into Lindsey Graham's lap in a heartbeat.!.!
Bestillmyfriend John Mirande • 8 hours ago
You are correct - Ryan is not a good honest man. He does not care about our country like Mr. Trump does!! And if Ryan was a good man - he would have accepted Mr. Trumps' apology. Mr. Trump was not running for office when he made those comments. And give me a break but you go to the movies and hear worse than what Mr. Trump said!! You hear worse on some songs that these rap singers sing on the radio. Hillary dumped this video out to cover up the emails that were dumped out there today!!! Hillary is a criminal.
Twilight Sparkle The Wild West • 9 hours ago
Right, right haha. It is his enabler, and a woman with more dead bodies in her wake than John Wayne Gacy. But hey, it's all good, right?

Oh... don't look over there at that treasonous email server selling national secrets to our enemies (you do remember that with all of the damaging things they came out with, the REAL meat was deleted, don't you?). Yeah, don't worry about Hillary care or the fact that she basically created ISIS (either intentionally or out of sheer idiocy, most likely the former). Perhaps the fact that she wants WW3 with Russia (well, Georgy Soros does - he's mad about the rebuilding of all those Christian churches Stalin dynamited, and Putin's lack of puppy dog obedience to the globalist cabal) doesn't matter. It will make for a lot of good BS movies some day. Hillary was Bill Clinton's rape enabler, and I think his crimes pale in comparison to hers.

inquirer_2point0 grey • 9 hours ago
If I were Trump I wouldn't wait until Inauguration Day.

On November 9th, I'd arrange to meet with the members of the House Freedom Caucus, the House Liberty Caucus, and any other influential House members and make it clear to them that they would be making a YUGE mistake if they select Ryan once again to be speaker.

In a test of personal loyalty between a popular president-elect and a marginalized candidate for speaker, I have to believe that the president-elect will prevail. The House owes Ryan nothing and Trump owes Ryan nothing.

The sooner Ryan is relegated to backbencher status the sooner he can be replaced with a speaker who is more cooperative with moving forward with Trump's policy agenda.

It has to be intentional that most of the pro-Trump pundits I see are women. Also that most of them look completely unconvinced with the things they say.

Diablos

And now this gives them a clear exit strategy for bailing on Trump without upsetting the base too much.
Part of me thinks they won't be able to grow a spine and go with what I described above as c. Pretending it never happened.

This not only exposes Trump for the scumbag he really is but really highlights how the GOP is so fucking weak as a party and really doesn't deserve to have a strong governing presence. Gerrymandering, racism, sexism, xenophobia and extreme religious values are propping up this corpse of a party that has no place in today's society. They're struggling with this so hard not only because of Trump but once again, 8 fucking years later they CANNOT face the harsh reality of what they have become and refuse to change.

It has to be intentional that most of the pro-Trump pundits I see are women. Also that most of them look completely unconvinced with the things they say.

Don Lemon brought that up last night

Lemon: "I see some women here, their mouth says one thing, but their face says another" or something to that effect. I've gained alot of respect for Don the last couple of weeks.

sazzy

Polls only pretty map

uJiXCQ.png

Folks, SUPREME COURT. SO IMPORTANT.

I don't think there's going to be a 3rd debate at the rate things are going. It's also in Nevahhhhhda.

How and what should they change?

Remember, the goal is to increase their share of the voters.

They need to stop appealing to the shrinking group of people at 20% and falling of the likely voters that fit into the basket of deplorables. So long as they clearly cater to them, they aren't going to win the presidency... and in a couple of election cycles they won't even be able to hold onto the house.

That's what they need to change.

Gotchaye

This is really incredible. I legitimately don't even think it's that bad; I mean, it's atrocious and he's a disgusting piece of shit, but we knew that already and my suspicion is most deplorables actually DO talk like this.

This doesn't lose him any deplorables. But it's on tape and totally unspinnable so there's no way for people in the middle or for the media to pretend like this is just him not being a polished politician. There's no "maybe he really meant..." or "he's playing a character" or "he's got to protect his business".

Yeah, people who already hated Trump didn't find this surprising. But lots of the people who don't hate Trump don't hate him just because they didn't quite believe that he was like this, and so it helps that this is really in-your-whatever.

Diablos

How and what should they change?

Remember, the goal is to increase their share of the voters.
Avoid being so obstructionist. Stop looking the other way which allows for the tea party to hijack a huge chunk of their party. Embrace common sense immigration reform. Be a lot more quick to denounce and write off someone like Trump and other extreme voices in the party. Stop whining about social issues like gay marriage. Those would be good places to start.

I don't see how he can avoid it. It will be an instant loss.

I think he will likely recognize that a third drubbing, and another set of new talking points he blindly wandered into and helped launch, giving the Clinton campaign even more things to hit him on, will be more damaging than just skipping the debate.

If he's remotely self aware by then he should know he's lost this thing. So why show up to lose another battle when he's lost the war. Just start complaining about how it's all rigged so he's not playing any more. Operation save face should be in full force by then. And it'll be about trying not to lose in a blow out, so he can say 'I almost won!' or 'I did so much better than they said I would!' or whatever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can't wait for him to do passably tomorrow and the thread to spin out of control as 538's model crashes

CoolOff

I think he will likely recognize that a third drubbing, and another set of new talking points he blindly wandered into and helped launch, giving the Clinton campaign even more things to hit him on, will be more damaging than just skipping the debate.

If he's remotely self aware by then he should know he's lost this thing. So why show up to lose another battle when he's lost the war. Just start complaining about how it's all rigged so he's not playing any more. Operation save face should be in full force by then. And it'll be about trying not to lose in a blow out, so he can say 'I almost won!' or 'I did so much better than they said I would!' or whatever.

It's going to be really interesting to see just how delusional he is when it comes to this.

I don't see how he can avoid it. It will be an instant loss.

He's already losing, and this tape makes only makes him lose any establishment support (even the tactical support) plus depresses the shit out of his base.

And this wasn't a big payload. I'm expecting a Tsar bomb payload to be released.

So why even show up? This is going beyond politics and hurting his brand. At what point does he say "that's it"?

I think the most beautiful part of his calamitous destruction as far as his business goes is that the only people left supporting him can not afford to frequent or support his business enterprises. No one will buy space in his buildings. No one will play golf on his courses. It's amazing.

He will likely rebrand his holdings with a new name, which will truly be the perfect and final nail. One way or another, the Trump brand is dead.

So is it possible for Pence to move to the top of the ticket as Huntsman suggests?

A Hillary canvasser came by the other day. I told him that I was a lifelong Democrat and that I was definitely voting. He smiled and said, "Oh, good." Then I said I wasn't voting for Hillary Clinton and that, further, I would never vote Democrat again, not even for Russ Feingold, even though I like him as a politician.

He trotted out the line, "A vote for a third party is a vote for Trump."

I said, "I'm okay with that. I may even vote for Trump myself if it's close and that's what it takes to prevent a Hillary presidency."

He said, "Really?"

"You guys really fucked up with this DNC shit." I said.

He was an older guy, maybe in his mid 40s. He smiled kindly and admitted that his daughter was going to vote for Stein.
2edgy4me

benjipwns

Banned
Avoid being so obstructionist. Stop looking the other way which allows for the tea party to hijack a huge chunk of their party. Embrace common sense immigration reform. Be a lot more quick to denounce and write off someone like Trump and other extreme voices in the party. Stop whining about social issues like gay marriage. Those would be good places to start.
You're basically just arguing that they should become the Democratic Party. But there already is a Democratic Party and Republican voters, for whatever their individual reasons, don't want it.

In three of these cases you're arguing they should not just write off, but even more actively oppose their largest source of funding, activists, ground ops, etc.

Aw man, my reddit account got cracked and I don't have access to the email I used to register it.

Oh well. Now I gotta work up my Internet points again. Also one post every 5 minutes, jesus this is going to be annoying.

I blame Trump

Emarv

This doesn't lose him any deplorables. But it's on tape and totally unspinnable so there's no way for people in the middle or for the media to pretend like this is just him not being a polished politician. There's no "maybe he really meant..." or "he's playing a character" or "he's got to protect his business".

Yeah, people who already hated Trump didn't find this surprising. But lots of the people who don't hate Trump don't hate him just because they didn't quite believe that he was like this, and so it helps that this is really in-your-whatever.
I think he has the possibility of hurting with his base though. When W was revealed to have a decade old DUI, it cost him a percentage point. I think this stuff is gonna depress lifelong conservative turnout, for sure.

So is it possible for Pence to move to the top of the ticket as Huntsman suggests?

No, it is not. Trump would have to quit, to begin with. Then the GOP would have to reconvene the RNC and nominate Pence. The statutory ballot deadline in most states has already passed. Pence would not be on the ballot in Florida, Ohio, Virginia or North Carolina. Trump would still be. All of these states also have laws against faithless electors. So, when the electoral college meets, they couldn't cast their Presidential vote for Pence.

There is, literally, nothing they can do. Trump is the nominee. Period Hands down.

johnny956

You're basically just arguing that they should become the Democratic Party. But there already is a Democratic Party and Republican voters, for whatever their individual reasons, don't want it.

In three of these cases you're arguing they should not just write off, but even more actively oppose their largest source of funding, activists, ground ops, etc.

If they would abandon the social issue fight they are having and focused on the financial part (cut taxes etc). I would say they would have a good shot of winning over many in the middle. Not as extreme as the libertarian party but basically a more moderate conservative

Y2Kev

If they would abandon the social issue fight they are having and focused on the financial part (cut taxes etc). I would say they would have a good shot of winning over many in the middle. Not as extreme as the libertarian party but basically a more moderate conservative

yeah but the base picked a guy whose signature issue was banning brown people from the country

Republicans will not win a national election until racism is not their major policy issue! They're so weird.

I think he has the possibility of hurting with his base though. When W was revealed to have a decade old DUI, it cost him a percentage point. I think this stuff is gonna depress lifelong conservative turnout, for sure.

More gold, the Dole style ads will start rolling out (no blank check, etc) which will make him more mad and more crazy and do more damage.

Remember in Coming To America when you see the two rich guys from Trading Places again?

Yeah.

His brand is all about winning. And no one in the history of mankind has lost as big or as grotesquely as this.

"Nature, it seems, is not without a sense of humor."

Emarv

Also, let's all be honest about something.

The GOP and the media is all over this because he said it about a white woman.
Yup. Bouie had a great twitter thread about this. Say a year's worth of stuff about minorities, fine. But get caught attacking our white daughters and mothers and you've gone too far!

johnny956

yeah but the base picked a guy whose signature issue was banning brown people from the country

Republicans will not win a national election until racism is not their major policy issue! They're so weird.

Oh I agree. They just need to ignore that rabid tea party base. My guess is the tea party voters would still vote for a republican even if moderate the problem is the moderates don't seem to care to vote in the primaries

Oriel

Well damn, Rivera going all in to tear apart Trump, calling him a "subway groper" while Tucker insists her remarks on wanting unfettered free trade (a good thing IMO) is worse and would destroy America. The Wikileaks reveal is a load of fucking nothing and has all the momentum of a North Korean rocket launch. Spare a thought for Assange today, his last ditch attempt to get his pal Trump the presidency fell flat. Lovely.

benjipwns

Banned
All of these states also have laws against faithless electors. So, when the electoral college meets, they couldn't cast their Presidential vote for Pence.
Those are toothless.

The real key here is that it only matters if Trump wins. If the GOP ticket loses, it doesn't matter who was on it. It doesn't even matter if none of the electors vote for it, because it lost.

This scenario only matters if Trump agrees to drop out and this somehow propels the GOP to victory and Trump then doesn't reign on the deal after he's won the election.

Diablos

No sir I did not. I don't see me saying they should advocate for a public option, higher taxes on the wealthy, free college etc.

Immigration reform is something Bush wanted to do even. There's enough bipartisanship to make it happen if the House and Senate leadership would just grow a spine.

And not being racist/xenophobic/sexist etc. shouldn't just be a Democratic value.

Republicans could win over a lot of people in the middle if they weren't so extreme. They could still be conservative on many issues.

Boke1879

He's going to be even more unhinged at the debate. No way this shit isn't eating at him right now and seeing people literally shit on him

Man its amazing looking at how much the charts on Predictit have changed over the past three days on most of the bets.

There has been something bad happening for Trump pretty much every day since the debate.

1.Crushed by Hillary
2.Machado video
3.Doubling down on Fox news calling machado fat
4.The cuba trading
5.Doesnt pay federal taxes
6.Lost a billion dollars in 1 year
7.Buys chinese steel
8.Brags about not paying federal taxes
9.Now this

Groveling Ted picked a great time to endorse him.

Link

The Autumn Wind
There has been something bad happening for Trump pretty much every day since the debate.

1.Crushed by Hillary
2.Machado video
3.Doubling down on Fox news calling machado fat
4.The cuba trading
5.Doesnt pay federal taxes
6.Lost a billion dollars in 1 year
7.Buys chinese steel
8.Brags about not paying federal taxes
9.Now this

Groveling Ted picked a great time to endorse him.
It already feels like all that other stuff was a million years ago.

Y2Kev

We just need it for long enough for RBG and everyone to step down. Let's pack the court and let that stand as the defense against the republican bullshittery in the states.

benjipwns

Banned
No sir I did not. I don't see me saying they should advocate for a public option, higher taxes on the wealthy, free college etc.
But these aren't the positions of the Democratic Party either.

Immigration reform is something Bush wanted to do even. There's enough bipartisanship to make it happen if the House and Senate leadership would just grow a spine.
Except the base opposes it with the fury of a thousand suns which is why Donald Trump is their nominee this year.

Republicans could win over a lot of people in the middle if they weren't so extreme. They could still be conservative on many issues.
Oh I agree. They just need to ignore that rabid tea party base. My guess is the tea party voters would still vote for a republican even if moderate the problem is the moderates don't seem to care to vote in the primaries
Here's the thing, you're still not saying anything of specifics that can be used to change the party. It's already only held together on an agreement on "cut taxes" being supported.

You can't actively oppose off half or more of the party and somehow not completely fade away.

If they become more socially liberal they don't pick up votes, because those people are already voting for the Democrats, and won't trust Republicans. Meanwhile, the Republicans lose the social conservatives.

What positions would a "moderate" Republican even hold rhetorically and where would they get support from?

Downballot voting will save the GOP. But I do think Dems are getting back the Senate for two years.

That only works if Republicans show up to polls.

The Trumptape business as well as the no doubt 20-ish other scandals and disastrous debates that will hit over the next month will depress republican turnout, while spiking democratic turnout.

The downballot doesn't drive people to polls. the top of the ticket does.

benjipwns

Banned
That only works if Republicans show up to polls.

The Trumptape business as well as the no doubt 20-ish other scandals and disastrous debates that will hit over the next month will depress republican turnout, while spiking democratic turnout.

The downballot doesn't drive people to polls. the top of the ticket does.
Ticket splitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom