• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
That only works if Republicans show up to polls.

The Trumptape business as well as the no doubt 20-ish other scandals and disastrous debates that will hit over the next month will depress republican turnout, while spiking democratic turnout.

The downballot doesn't drive people to polls. the top of the ticket does.

I'm actually worried about Dem turnout if she's leading by 10 on Election Day (likely)

Ticket splitters.

ticket splitting is dead.

ticket_zpsxvfrnqjr.png

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/29/us/politics/republicans-ticket-splitting.html?_r=0

90% of voters don't bother. They either vote straight party or stay home.

I'm actually worried about Dem turnout if she's leading by 10 on Election Day (likely)

I'm not. Democrats and dem leaning independents are frothing at the mouth to "stop trump"- and that was before yesterday's business.

Hillary is +8 or above on election day, democrats have a decent shot at taking the house. whether that means spiking democratic turnout, depressing republican turnout, or a combination of both (likely) i'm fine with that.

If Trump quits the race, I don't see how the GOP survives, at least at the national level. The infighting and recriminations would tear them apart. At the very least, the organization would be in shambles for the next 3-4 election cycles.

And for those saying he will never quit, he absolutely would to save face if it looks like he is going to get crushed in an 80/20 (or worse) Clinton landslide. He's already provided himself an out earlier in the year when he talked about the election being "rigged."

Boke1879

Yesterday really happened huh?

The best thing about this? Trump is off message. He's not talking trade etc.

His campaign and the GOP will be asked about this. That audio will be played repeatedly and now he trying to attack Bill and her over this. It's not going to work and that apology video isn't helping shit.

I don't know what came first the death of the ticket splitters or the end of compromise in the legislative branch but they are certainly tied together. For me it's pretty much impossible to consider a Republican for any legislative position, regardless of the person because their current platform is completely unacceptable to me and it's just one more vote for the anti-science, anti-environment, pro-wealthy, anti-social safety net, bigoted, gun lobby driven, religious driven agenda of the GOP.

Revolver

Stayed up late just talking with my wife about all this. We're as giddy as kids at Christmas.

I wonder how Hillary should greet Donald at the debate. Should she shake his hand? Ignore him or what?

Ignatz Mouse yesterday before the news broke said:
I've been thinking about tipping points, trends, and how things tend to snowball.

It feels like since the debate, things are snowballing.

Anyone thinking that HRC might actually overperform the polls at this point or that the polls will shift even more her way?

I really want a shot at making the House closer or D.

Yeah, I know, I'm punditting. But I am not selling myself as a stats guy.

My best-timed post ever.

benjipwns

Banned
ticket splitting is dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/29/us/politics/republicans-ticket-splitting.html?_r=0

90% of voters don't bother. They either vote straight party or stay home.
Which would mean 10% do. Which we might call the deciders.

And that article only reports on Senate races in Presidential years which is stupid considering their staggered terms.

When it talks about the House it tells us this:
The three strongest years of ticket splitting between presidential and House voting in the last five decades, according to American National Election Studies survey data, were 1972, when 30 percent of voters did it; 1980 (28 percent); and 1984 (26 percent).
But doesn't tell us anything about any other years.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
and now a live report from THE POLITICO CAUCUS

democrats say this bad
republicans say this not so bad

~insight~

Which would mean 10% do. Which we might call the deciders.

nope. because you're ignoring that those people are likely residing in areas with unusually popular or strong candidates with cross party appeal- Grassley in Iowa is probably a good example here, as is Portman in Ohio this year. They aren't evenly distributed.

And that article only reports on Senate races in Presidential years which is stupid considering their staggered terms.

No point in considering house races, since most voters couldn't tell you who their house rep is at gunpoint.

benjipwns

Banned
They aren't evenly distributed.
Right, which is why the information provided is meaningless for considering ticket splitting in down-ballot races.
No point in considering house races, since most voters couldn't tell you who their house rep is at gunpoint.
Yes, no point in considering House races when discussing House races. What.

So he would do it in an event that has never happened in American history.

To be clear, Trump's name is on the ballot and he's locked in, so there's no changing that. But he could still hold a press conference, announce that he's ending his campaign (even if unofficially), and GOP turnout would crater into single digits. That's what I'm talking about. THAT would be the death of the party.

And Trump would not be bothered by that in the slightest.

Right, which is why the information provided is meaningless for considering ticket splitting in down-ballot races.

Voters will "split tickets" for popular candidates that they're aware of that cross party lines. this is ONLY applicable for senate candidates. There is mountains of data all over the place showing american voters have no idea who their house representatives even are.

Yes, no point in considering House races when discussing House races. What.

House races are almost always decided strictly along party turnout lines because of the above, so implying that voters might "split tickets"- turning out for hillary for president but voting R the rest of the way for candidates they've never heard of- and save the GOP house margin is absurd. They don't like the name at the top of the R ticket, they're most likely to just stay home, rather than "vote hillary".

jiggle

How are y'all doing gaf?!
Cuz
tumblr_miys42k4g51qi3kz2o1_400.gif

Can't wait to see what else access Hollywood has
No way they want to get preempted again rite?

Just so everyone understands how bad this video is for Trump, the political fallout from this is on the same level as catching him using the n-word, and it's just a step below him being indicted for rape or murder. He's done.

All but the most hardcore bigots are walking away now, and while Republicans won't vote for Clinton, they will stay home on Election Day. So, no, it's not implausible that Clinton will capture 70-80% of the popular vote.

We are in uncharted waters now, but this whole election has been one for the history books, so that's nothing new.

Tamanon

Banned
Billy Bush is going to have an awkward Thanksgiving dinner with Jeb. "Why didn't you MENTION ANY OF THIS DURING THE PRIMARY?"

I don't know who my House representative is.

nobody does.

Only about half of Americans can name the Vice President. When asked a direct question only 37% of people know who their state governor is. That number increases to 65% when the correct name is given in a multiple choice question. Even fewer can name their U.S senator or congressman. When it comes to State Representatives the figure falls to about 20%. And name recognition is the American public's strong suit. Even if they could name their representative, when asked to identify two issues the politician stands for, the percentage drops to only 15%.

When they are asked if they know what political party their representative belongs to, a whopping 68% say they don't know or aren't sure. But wait, it gets worse; Three quarters of Americans can correctly identify two of Show White's seven dwarfs while only a quarter can name two Supreme Court Justices. According to the poll by Zogby International, 57 percent of Americans could identify J.K. Rowling's fictional boy wizard as Harry Potter, while only 27% could name both of their U.S. senators. Only 42 percent of those surveyed could list the three branches of our government. But seventy-five percent could name the Three Stooges.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2008/04/whos_your_daddy_the_psychology.html

80% of the public has no idea what the name of their representative is, 68% have no idea of the party, and 85% can't name any issues they stand for.

House races simply aren't high profile enough to show up on the radar of the average voter, especially in a presidential year.

You're a popular senator with statewide recognition and a warchest, your name is Grassley or Portman- voters may turn out for you despite hating the top of the ticket.

Everyone else? absolutely not. Trump being toxic is going to depress R turnout, and claims to the contrary are fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom