• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
Horace Greeley really had a shitty 1872, didn't he?
He lost his original position too because people against him took advantage of his absence from the Tribune to basically oust him. But he died anyway.
Unusually for the time, [Greeley] embarked on a speaking tour to bring his message to the people. As it was more usual for candidates for major office to not actively campaign, he was attacked as a seeker after office.
The Republican counterattack was well-financed, accusing Greeley of support for everything from treason to the Ku Klux Klan. The anti-Greeley campaign was famously and effectively summed up in the cartoons of Thomas Nast, whom Grant later credited with a major role in his re-election. Nast's cartoons showed Greeley giving bail money for Jefferson Davis, throwing mud on Grant, and shaking hands with John Wilkes Booth across Lincoln's grave.

sazzy

I think the finding/publishing of this video was definitely encouraged by the Clinton campaign, precisely because Donald had been threatening to bring up Bill Clinton during the debate.

120v

i slept through all of today's news cycle. woke up to total wtf

rip in pepperonis, GOP. enjoy ramming into that iceberg

Chichikov

Because I have too much time on my hands these days -

N7lcaLS.gif

gaugebozo

I was on a plane when the news of this broke. It was like I touched down in heaven. There weren't any plane crashes yesterday, right?

Also, I wouldn't assume that Hillary will knock any 'enabler' questions out of the park. It took her months to get a decent email answer, and she never had a decent answer to the transcripts questions.

I don't think it really matters now. Plus it's a bit too nuanced an attack for Trump to really pull off. I don't think I've ever heard him really frame it well when speaking live either.

Remember, it's an attempt to convince women that Clinton is no better or worse for women than he is. Even if the blow lands, it's not going to come close to doing that. Clinton just needs to point to all the things she has done for women, and there are many.

Ali VitaliVerified account
‏@alivitali
More from @KellyO: It was "a joint decision" by Ryan and Gov. Walker to disinvite Donald Trump to the Wisconsin GOP event Saturday night.

Ali VitaliVerified account
‏@alivitali Ali Vitali Retweeted Ali Vitali
Further: sources tell her others, including Reince Priebus, argued against withdrawing the invitation to Trump for the sake of party unity.

LOL, what a clown.

Gabriel Sherman ‏@gabrielsherman 17m17 minutes ago
conversations with Trump advisers and allies over last several days reveal picture of a campaign in utter chaos, consumed with infighting

Gabriel Sherman ‏@gabrielsherman 13m13 minutes ago
Sources say Bannon frustrated Trump got off trade/immigration message, down spiral accelerated after disastrous debate and 3am tweet storm

Gabriel Sherman ‏@gabrielsherman 10m10 minutes ago
According to source, Roger Stone has been advising Trump to play rape card with Bill Clinton. Last night's "apology" video suggests he may

So what's our ideal response to "your husband is a rapist!" at the debate? I don't think "you're running against me, not my husband" is strong enough on its own. I'm sure some will see that as a side-step. What's the best way to answer and refute the accusation while also invalidating the very claim?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
This Trump advisor on MSNBC is blaming "Hollywood culture" on Trump's comments.

That somehow makes it OK? Wtf?
That's literally te only thing they do. Whenever anything comes up about Donald Trump, they do one of these two;

1 ) Ignore the question and blame Hillary or Obama. ( Clinton Foundation is the real evil, EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS, BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI, Hillary founded ISIS, etc. )
2 ) Spin it into Trump actually being genius hero. ( Losing a billion dollars and abusing the tax system makes him smart and a hero for pointing out how broken the system is, being a sexist misogynistic piece of shit is actually him being noble and drawing the attention to the toxic 'Hollywood Culture', etc. )

It's so transparent and it's scary how many people just can't see through it.

GutsOfThor

Also, I wouldn't assume that Hillary will knock any 'enabler' questions out of the park. It took her months to get a decent email answer, and she never had a decent answer to the transcripts questions.

She's been having to answer questions related to Bill's infidelities for about 25 years now. I'm not concerned one bit.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So what's our ideal response to "your husband is a rapist!" at the debate? I don't think "you're running against me, not my husband" is strong enough on its own. I'm sure some will see that as a side-step. What's the best way to answer and refute the accusation while also invalidating the very claim?

"You husband is a rapist!"

"Good job I'm not a rapist, then. How 'bout you Donald?"

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think it's really an accusation that has to be refuted. I think it's such a horrible thing to even bring up that Clinton can destroy him with a good riff on "have you no decency?" It's basically what they've been building up to the entire time. Just incorporate it with his lack of plans(or non-secret ones) and general demeanor. Would put the whole thing to bed.

sazzy

For 2 weeks, Donald's advisers have probably been telling him that, for the 2nd debate, don't get baited, whatever you do, don't get baited during the debate.

So they bait him and get inside his head 2 days BEFORE the debate.

Now THAT'S 4D chess.

edit- also, I give it a week before he, in one form or the other, rescinds his apology.

jmood88

This Trump advisor on MSNBC is blaming "Hollywood culture" on Trump's comments.

That somehow makes it OK? Wtf?
They've been repeating that since yesterday. They also love to talk about the video being from 11 years ago, even though Clinton's thing was even older and Trump was fucking 59 years old when it happened.

Diablos

Just woke up. What did I miss?

Crazy that they were still talking about it at 1am on Saturday morning. I mean, sheeeeit.

A Hillary canvasser came by the other day. I told him that I was a lifelong Democrat and that I was definitely voting. He smiled and said, "Oh, good." Then I said I wasn't voting for Hillary Clinton and that, further, I would never vote Democrat again, not even for Russ Feingold, even though I like him as a politician.

He trotted out the line, "A vote for a third party is a vote for Trump."

I said, "I'm okay with that. I may even vote for Trump myself if it's close and that's what it takes to prevent a Hillary presidency."

He said, "Really?"

"You guys really fucked up with this DNC shit." I said.

He was an older guy, maybe in his mid 40s. He smiled kindly and admitted that his daughter was going to vote for Stein.

For 2 weeks, Donald's advisers have probably been telling him that, for the 2nd debate, don't get baited, whatever you do, don't get baited during the debate.

So they bait him and get inside his head 2 days BEFORE the debate.

Now THAT'S 4D chess.

edit- also, I give it a week before he, in one form or the other, rescinds his apology.

I think in his mind, he genuinely doesnt understand why this is a big deal and is probably irritated at how big of a deal people are making it.

diaspora

A Hillary canvasser came by the other day. I told him that I was a lifelong Democrat and that I was definitely voting. He smiled and said, "Oh, good." Then I said I wasn't voting for Hillary Clinton and that, further, I would never vote Democrat again, not even for Russ Feingold, even though I like him as a politician.

I said, "I'm okay with that. I may even vote for Trump myself if it's close and that's what it takes to prevent a Hillary presidency."

He said, "Really?"

He was an older guy, maybe in his mid 40s. He smiled kindly and admitted that his daughter was going to vote for Stein.
I can't tell if you're taking the piss or not.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there

He said, "Really?"

Be careful what you say when they dogpile you.

Diablos

So is it still true that the GOP is wrestling with either a. Staying with Trump even if at arm's length and loses with him bigly or b. They denounce him and unendorse, still lose but with at least some dignity? They can advocate for writing someone in but lol they're still losing.
Or are they c. Going into denial after the second debate and pretending it never happened

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Please do not poke the cage.

I hope Hillary has focus grouped the hell out of the rapist enabler accusation question. It's definitely coming because Trump is desperate. I see no real way he can win the debate now even if he does well because the pall of this stuff is just going to be all over everything.

This is really incredible. I legitimately don't even think it's that bad; I mean, it's atrocious and he's a disgusting piece of shit, but we knew that already and my suspicion is most deplorables actually DO talk like this.

It's kind of the proverbial nail in the coffin though. We all know he's a piece of shit. The GOP establishment know he's a piece of shit. But this hammers it home.

He said, "Really?"

It must be lovely to be able to look at Donald Trump and think 'Well he's not going to massively adversely effect my life'.

Never Trump people really have three choices. Bernie or Bust people only really have one choice since they're now supporting bust.

All the time I was supporting Clinton because of her character, Sanders supporters told me I shouldn't be because of the issues where I was slightly closer to Bernie. Now... they're telling me they're voting completely in ignorance of the issues because what matters is preventing Clinton from winning.

Which maybe is all it ever was about for them.

I used to not like Clinton too. So I get it. But I dropped claims that McCain would have been a decent President long before the general election and fully threw my weight behind Obama.

Not seeing Clinton win is more important than preventing a GOP controlled house and senate and whitehouse and supreme court? What lies do you tell yourself to convince yourself of that? Both parties are the same? Clinton is really a GOP person in sheeps clothing? The GOP will be able to handle Trump and stop him being too disastrous? It's better to rebuild from the ashes of all the poor and minorities who would be caught in the flames if the Trump Presidency is a massive disaster?

Which lies let you think stopping Clinton is more important than handing every branch of government to the GOP?

I think the best answer for Hillary to give is going to acknowledge what Trump is saying about her and Bill.

So something like "Yes, Donald. Everyone knows my husband and I had marital problems, just as millions of other American couples have. But unlike the majority of these couples, we had to deal with them in a very public way. That's fine. That's the price of going into public service. Was I hurt by our marital problems. Of course I was. But through our friends, family and faith, Bill and I came out stronger than we have ever been.

However, the type of language and behavior you displayed is indefensible. The way you have spoken about women, they way you have treated them-us, like objects is repulsive. Now, I know you're going to respond with "But your husband...." but I'd like to remind you, Donald, you are running against me, not my husband."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom