• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about it, what should be the priority for Clinton to pass ASAP?
Make ACA better? Gun control? Tax reform? Immigration Reform?

I'm a bit biased so I'd say Immigration reform but still I'd like to know what people here think.

She probably won't be able to pass any of these. The Republicans will be set to run out the clock until 2018.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I'm a bit biased so I'd say Immigration reform but still I'd like to know what people here think.

"ACA better" needs to be near the top.

It's clearly amnesty because millions of people shouldn't be at threat of being forced from their homes and moved out of the country if a recession happens in an election year.

Removing lead from the United States is the second most important thing.

And making sure climate change doesn't kill everyone in India is up there too.

To do most major things, Hillary will need the Senate and House so hopefully Trump screams at a disabled black girl on Sunday (jesus christ, how do you have to root for these things).

studyguy

Some alt right guy was booted off Twitter for racism again and they're mad I guess. Never heard of the guy before either way though but that post history? 👋 Trash

Mael

Sorry! As I said, I generalized way too much. Regardless of the cause there's always an enthusiasm gap with Democrats/liberals. We saw how OWS blew up so quickly and then sputtered out, for a recent example. How often do you hear "99% movement" these days? For millennials it's an attention span thing, too. We have enough to do and enough distractions that the idea of staying laser-focused on a political cause is largely out of our wheelhouse. We can't even be bothered to vote in midterms! For the next 10-20 years until demographics have gone though their largest shift to younger and more diverse this is keeping the GOP on life support.

I don't really know.
I hear people on the Left (and sometimes on the Right too) in France talking about the 99% all the time.
Personnally I think that the OWS movement was kinda misguided but I think it's effect can be seen with the Sanders campaign going as far as it did.
It didn't help that the OWS movement was largely ignored by Obama when he ran for reelection for various reasons (he couldn't possibly weaponize that movement politically when he was already the president for 4 years).
In comparison Trump pretty much embraced the dormant shitty movement he's the flagship of.
For something like that to happen on the left we don't have much of a choice :
Either a new party comes up with this movement and displace the Dems/Gop
or
The dems lose and rise again on the back of a similar movement.

Literally no one gave a fuck about that thing lol. At least Hillary got an ad out of it and small narrative about Pence not defending his running mate.
Trump has been bullish and the campaign is trying to raise expectations for Sunday's debate from some inexplicable new-found confidence. If the VP debate largely served to set up how badly Trump is going to bomb the town hall, I'm fine with that.

Would rather he not show, but I gave up on that hope ages ago! ONE TOWN HALL EVERY FOUR YEARS and it's a fucking Packer home game on my package ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Stupid debate commission. For weeks I thought it was just the VP debate I was missing until I learned the sad truth a month ago. Rodgers better throw 6 touchdowns.

Immigration reform

Public Works

Improve ACA

I'm def biased toward ACA reform but I would argue we could extend a lot of lives (and save a lot of money too) if we act more aggressively on diabetes/heart disease/alcohol and tobacco problems which carry a huge burden.

First they came for the Nazis.

... And they then came for the Nazis again.

And then a third time.

And really, it should have been more frequent than this because there's 10 million Nazis sending oven pictures to Jewish journalists on Twitter and they should be purged from the site and put on a watch list.

Bu-bu-but first amendment.

When I get perma'd from GAF, should I argue that my first amendment rights are being violated?

Rlan

Had Donald Trump ever laughed on video? Honestly. The only thing close I've seen is when he said that he didn't believe Hillary is faithful to Bill a week ago, but even that was just a "Heh Heh", in an almost Beavis & Butthead fashion.

Joeytj

Banned
I'm kind of blown away literally no one is talking about the vp debate lol

It's completely gone from most non-political media coverage, and what there is isn't good for Trump and Pence.

It's all now just about Matthew and the few political coverage left is mostly negative Trump stories.

Hehehehehehe.

Nafai1123

Banned
Had Donald Trump ever laughed on video? Honestly. The only thing close I've seen is when he said that he didn't believe Hillary is faithful to Bill a week ago, but even that was just a "Heh Heh", in an almost Beavis & Butthead fashion.

He chuckled when Howard Stern asked him if he respects women...so there's that I guess.

Boke1879

Trump has been bullish and the campaign is trying to raise expectations for Sunday's debate from some inexplicable new-found confidence. If the VP debate largely served to set up how badly Trump is going to bomb the town hall, I'm fine with that.

Would rather he not show, but I gave up on that hope ages ago! ONE TOWN HALL EVERY FOUR YEARS and it's a fucking Packer home game on my package ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Stupid debate commission. For weeks I thought it was just the VP debate I was missing until I learned the sad truth a month ago. Rodgers better throw 6 touchdowns.

Let him be bullish. He has no comeback. At best this debate will be a wash if Trump can hold his composure and not say anything fucking stupid. I'm very eager to see how he reacts to questions "attacking" him.

I have no doubts there will be a black mother or man talking about race, stop and frisk etc, Or an immigrant, or a woman asking about all his vile shit.

Of course Clinton has to worry about the same thing, but I feel she's no doubt better prepared.

Mael

I'm really torn on this because Immigration reform is really the thing that would make my life personally way better.
I know people who would really benefit from the ACA (I could but my job covers me at a surprisingly good level).
the infrastructure need a shot in the arm, I'm in Az and the roads are shite on a level I didn't think possible.
I won't even talk about trains because that's kind of a joke.
But this is a state issue so I don't know if Clinton should bother on Infrastructure...
The education in the US need to be entirely scrapped and redone from the ground up IMO.
I don't like shitting on the US for something like that but it's a fucking disgrace on nearly anything not college (if even that). I nearly don't want to raise kids in the US because of that.

I'm really torn on this because Immigration reform is really the thing that would make my life personally way better.
I know people who would really benefit from the ACA (I could but my job covers me at a surprisingly good level).
the infrastructure need a shot in the arm, I'm in Az and the roads are shite on a level I didn't think possible.
I won't even talk about trains because that's kind of a joke.
But this is a state issue so I don't know if Clinton should bother on Infrastructure...
The education in the US need to be entirely scrapped and redone from the ground up IMO.
I don't like shitting on the US for something like that but it's a fucking disgrace on nearly anything not college (if even that). I nearly don't want to raise kids in the US because of that.

I would love if Hillary committed to hiring tutors to help students (for say, five hours a week) with low rated (by value-added) teachers.

It's been shown to be helpful in a lot of economic papers.

Unless he is willing to take tough questions from Democrats as well a practice town hall is worthless. He will get thrown softball questions. Also the townhall debates will have moderators.

Man I'm so happy Clinton is so meticulous. She'll be ready for any question that gets thrown to her. I just hope we don't spend half her time on Benghazi and emails.

"ACA better" needs to be near the top.
No. We should avoid this like the plague national. There is no incentive for gop cooperation, further's the notion government in health care bad, reinvigorated blaming everything that happens in healthcare being Dems fault.

We shouldn't put out limited capital on health care for 10 or so years federally besides administrative fixes.

States should lead the way.

I'm always really amazed how this board thinks this is a winning issue for Dems and how they can win votes on this. It really is toxic for middle class voters.

If we're talking about health care proposals it should be only additional programs not "fixes" which will be opposed, neutered and politically toxix. (Propose it. Just don't put capital there yet)

Practice town hall is just Donald and company playing fuck/marry/kill for three hours. Somebody jokingly includes Christie in an assortment. Donald looks him dead in the eye and says "definitely kill."

Bowdz

Immigration reform IMO. Not only is it good policy and would help grow the economy and tax base, but politically, locking down Latino voters would be huge demographically in 2020.

That being said, it sounds like Clinton's top priority is an infrastructure spending bill.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No. We should avoid this like the plague national. There is no incentive for gop cooperation, further government in health care bad, reinvigorated blaming everything that happens in healthcare being Dems fault.

We shouldn't put out limited capital on health care for 10 or so years federally besides administrative fixes.

States should lead the way.

I'm always really amazed how this board thinks this is a winning issue for Dems and how they can win votes on this. It really is toxic for middle class voters.

If we're talking about health care proposals it should be only additional programs not "fixes" which will be opposed, neutered and politically toxix. (Propose it. Just don't put capital there yet)

Actually leaving it broken will sink it and the Dems and I don't know how the states can lead the way on this. Costs are spiraling and it IS burdensome without some quick fixes.

Hillary can do nothing I bet so I would suggest her priorities are 1) hosting a big hoe-down/lunch/dinner with congress at her house and making schmoozies 2) criminal justice reform (actual bipartisan support) 3) corporate tax reform 4) lots of executive orders 5) middle east fixery

I can't wait for the debate when Trump doesn't implode on the first 3 questions and we start screaming about how that debate prep worked.

Y2Kev

I can't wait for the debate when Trump doesn't implode on the first 3 questions and we start screaming about how that debate prep worked.

Haha I can see the posts now. I'm remembering LOW KEY TRUMP IS HERE!! after 2 minutes into the debate.

liberals :piss

Actually leaving it broken will sink it and the Dems and I don't know how the states can lead the way on this. Costs are spiraling and it IS burdensome without some quick fixes.

Hillary can do nothing I bet so I would suggest her priorities are 1) hosting a big hoe-down/lunch/dinner with congress at her house and making schmoozies 2) criminal justice reform (actual bipartisan support) 3) corporate tax reform 4) lots of executive orders 5) middle east fixery

People said this about the system before Obamacare.

I'm not saying don't propose better things but I'm really really not a fan of Dems thinking this is a winning issue.

We're only getting health care reform with crisis. And it's a huge loser with middle class voters unless you literally give them cash. Status quo bias.

I really wish this weren't the case and have some other strategies around this but I'm on mobile

Y2Kev

People said this about the system before Obamacare.

I'm not saying don't propose better things but I'm really really not a fan of Dems thinking this is a winning issue.

We're only getting health care reform with crisis. And it's a huge loser with middle class voters unless you literally give them cash. Status quo bias.

I really wish this weren't the case and have some other strategies around this but I'm on mobile

Yes except who was tied to the old system? Whose NAME was on the old system?

Obamacare right now is bad. I mean, I'll stan for it because it's better than what we had. But what we had wasn't the singular achievement of one party and one person. So that is why I am saying we can't leave it to other shitheads to fix.

But I agree we can't fix it so whatever.

Cyanity

Banned
Everyone know's Hillary's first priority once she's in office is going to be taking all of our guns and then declaring Syria the capital of New York City, duh.

Y2Kev

FUUUUUUCKKKK ITS BEEN FOUR MINUTES AND HILLARY IS SO CANNED AND TRUMP HASN'T SHIT HIS PANTS YET FUCKKK THE MEDIAA IS GOING TO SPINNN

(looks at polling in arizona) FUCKLKKK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom