• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes except who was tied to the old system? Whose NAME was on the old system?

Obamacare right now is bad. I mean, I'll stan for it because it's better than what we had. But what we had wasn't the singular achievement of one party and one person. So that is why I am saying we can't leave it to other shitheads to fix.

But I agree we can't fix it so whatever.
Obamacare is polarized it doesn't hurt or help now. Fixes reinvigorate that and risk a 2010 for minor changes. Im only willing to risk that with a dem trifecta as we can get actual fixes rather than minor changes that HHS can probably unilaterally do or we can get from random CR or budgets as leverage

Immigration reform is a moral issue that's possible and infrastructure is a huge boost to the economy. Those two have to be priorities but I don't see immigration reform passing the house and instead well muddle along with executive orders.

Infrastructure is a real possibility with a dem Senate. There are enough Republicans who will benefit from it and you can pork it up. (Though this would kind of tacitly admit not fully fighting for a dem house on 2018)

I'm completely unoptimistic about health care reform and really think liberals are lying to themselves about what's possibile and how to best help people and control costs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Immigration reform is a moral issue that's possible and infrastructure is a huge boost to the economy. Those two have to be priorities but I don't see immigration reform passing the house and instead well muddle along with executive orders.

Infrastructure is a real possibility with a dem Senate. There are enough Republicans who will benefit from it and you can pork it up. (Though this would kind of tacitly admit not fully fighting for a dem house on 2018)

You get done what you can get done and put yourself in a strong position to take as much as humanly possible in 2020. It's the best that can be expected at this point, short of the Dems somehow taking all of Congress.

Loxley

Well PoliGAF, I just checked online for verification and I'm now officially registered to vote :) I'm 28, but this will be the first election of any kind I'm actually voting in. I didn't vote in 2008 and 2012 for the same reasons many young 20-somethings don't, "I don't care about politics", "My vote doesn't really count", etc. I will admit that, if I had voted in 2008 I probably would have voted for McCain simply because he was the more experienced politician compared to Obama (I knew jack about either of their actual platforms or policies). By 2012 I was Team Obama all way, and was very happy when he got re-elected - not that I had anything to do with it :p

Politically speaking I would say I'm a moderate/independent. There are things I agree and disagree with when it comes to Democrats and Republicans. However, as someone who is very left-wing when it comes to respecting other cultures and people of all races, religions, sexual identities, etc, I cannot in good conscience stand on the sidelines for this election. My decision to vote this year was one that I'd made many, many months ago once it became crystal clear that Drumpf was going to be the Republican nominee. In the event that Drumpf wins the election (I confident he won't at this point), I don't know how I could live with myself knowing I could have voted to help keep a racist, misogynist, xenophobic, pathetic sack of shit like him out of the White House - but didn't.

I don't love Hillary, heck I barely like her, but compared to Drumpf she's a saint as far as I'm concerned. So she'll be getting my vote without question come November. I will admit I'm slightly saddened that my first time voting in a GE isn't because I love a specific candidate who just really speaks to me. I'm sure that day will eventually come, but for now I'm perfectly content with voting simply to keep Putin 2.0 out of office.

Trump's challenge isn't just to prepare for the Town Hall format-his real challenge is how to keep Hillary from getting to him and causing him to get deranged. I don't know how his cabal of yes-men he's surrounded himself can fix that given that he's just not putting in any reasonable amount of debate prep time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The thing I will be interested in seeing is if trump can keep himself from interrupting when an audience member is asking Hillary a question. Like just shitting on the question's premise.

Bowdz

Well PoliGAF, I just checked online for verification and I'm now officially registered to vote :) I'm 28, but this will be the first election of any kind I'm actually voting in. I didn't vote in 2008 and 2012 for the same reasons many young 20-somethings don't, "I don't care about politics", "My vote doesn't really count", etc. I will admit that, if I had voted in 2008 I probably would have voted for McCain simply because he was the more experienced politician compared to Obama (I knew jack about either of their actual platforms or policies). By 2012 I was Team Obama all way, and was very happy when he got re-elected - not that I had anything to do with it :p

Politically speaking I would say I'm a moderate/independent. There are things I agree and disagree with when it comes to Democrats and Republicans. However, as someone who is very left-wing when it comes to respecting other cultures and people of all races, religions, sexual identities, etc, I cannot in good conscience stand on the sidelines for this election. My decision to vote this year was one that I'd made many, many months ago once it became crystal clear that Drumpf was going to be the Republican nominee. In the event that Drumpf wins the election (I confident he won't at this point), I don't know how I could live with myself knowing I could have voted to help keep a racist, misogynist, xenophobic, pathetic sack of shit like him out of the White House - but didn't.

I don't love Hillary, heck I barely like her, but compared to Drumpf she's a saint as far as I'm concerned. So she'll be getting my vote without question come November. I will admit I'm slightly saddened that my first time voting in a GE isn't because I love a specific candidate who just really speaks to me. I'm sure that day will eventually come, but for now I'm perfectly content with voting simply to keep Putin 2.0 out of office.

Congrats bro! It's always good to get involved with the process and vote even if you're not fond of the candidates.

No. We should avoid this like the plague national. There is no incentive for gop cooperation, further's the notion government in health care bad, reinvigorated blaming everything that happens in healthcare being Dems fault.

We shouldn't put out limited capital on health care for 10 or so years federally besides administrative fixes.

States should lead the way.

I'm always really amazed how this board thinks this is a winning issue for Dems and how they can win votes on this. It really is toxic for middle class voters.

If we're talking about health care proposals it should be only additional programs not "fixes" which will be opposed, neutered and politically toxix. (Propose it. Just don't put capital there yet)

I don't want to become like the Right where we just lie about shit since our side is doing it. The ACA is quite frankly not doing enough, and it's got some terrible side effects for a lot of people.

As for leaving it up to the states, that essentially just tells people in red states (particularly minorities in the South) that they're fucked and should just suck it up because it's too hard to help them. It's easy to say these things when you're living in a blue state surrounded by liberals, but it's bad governance to tell so much of the country that you'd rather not deal with their problems right now.

Immigration reform IMO. Not only is it good policy and would help grow the economy and tax base, but politically, locking down Latino voters would be huge demographically in 2020.

That being said, it sounds like Clinton's top priority is an infrastructure spending bill.

I'd be fine with either of these, and they're in fact my top 2 dream proposals (3 being ACA reform). I really want us to pull an Ike and pass off the infrastructure stuff as a defense issue (more cash that way), and make sure you tack on some Internet upgrades. A lot of STEM work is crippled by our terrible Internet infrastructure, and you could attract a lot more people to rural areas that need the traffic if you upgrade the infrastructure.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Republicans have been blaming Obama for lack of cooperation, you really think they'll try to continue the obstruction? who am I kidding, of course they would. However, I think having a new President could force their hand.

Some states can handle hurricanes. Florida choked. Florida can't handle it. Florida can't be a state.
Look, the ocean. It's sending hurricanes. It's sending tidal waves. And some, I assume, are good weather patterns. But, we have to get smart, folks. We have to get smart. And tough. : sniff :

Bowdz

Guys, I think we can all agree that no matter what Trump does on Sunday, Mark Halperin will think the media is blowing it out of proportion and that it won't make much of an impact.

Wilsongt

Republicans have been blaming Obama for lack of cooperation, you really think they'll try to continue the obstruction? who am I kidding, of course they would. However, I think having a new President could force their hand.

Not if it's Clinton. They're ratchet up the stupid.

Diablos

Guys, I think we can all agree that no matter what Trump does on Sunday, Mark Halperin will think the media is blowing it out of proportion and that it won't make much of an impact.
I love how Joe name drops him like a rapper before the guest singer or other rapper does a verse or the chorus. It's fucking hilarious.

MARK HALPERIN. MARK HALPERIN.

I tend to find that the more people read and learn about Hillary the more they tend to like her, I started off barely liking her and now I think she has the potential to be one of the best presidents we have had in a very long time. I'm sure you've done your research but maybe give it another shot. If you still don't like her that much it's fine too of course.

Diablos

Look, the ocean. It's sending hurricanes. It's sending tidal waves. And some, I assume, are good weather patterns. But, we have to get smart, folks. We have to get smart. And tough. : sniff :
Because you know, Crooked Hillary Clinton is going to make sure hurricanes hit us hard in all 50 states. She has no clue what she's doing, folks.

Both, as crazy as that sounds. Nowhere near as often on broadcast, but it's there.

Yea, but I live in NY. We're not a swing state, we barely get ads for local elections. We shouldn't have to suffer like Adam.
Adam was meant to suffer. It's his lot in life.
Because you know, Crooked Hillary Clinton is going to make sure hurricanes hit us hard in all 50 states. She has no clue what she's doing, folks.
Look, we're going to build a sea wall, okay. And the manatees are going to pay for it. We have to folks. We don't have a choice.

sphagnum

Banned
Just admit that Obamacare isn't working, adopt single payer as a party platform and scream about it to push the narrative, then water it down into some other thing that doesn't work like some badly constructed public option in 20 years when the Dems have the House again problem solved

Both, as crazy as that sounds. Nowhere near as often on broadcast, but it's there.

Yea, but I live in NY. We're not a swing state, we barely get ads for local elections. We shouldn't have to suffer like Adam.

I'm from NY also. We spawned Drumpf so it's our lot to suffer too.

kcp12304

Banned
Just saw a stop hiliary PAC ad in CT. Faces of Benghazi victims and the last shot lingers on Ambassador Stevens gravestone in black and white. Gross.

Edit: And another one about FP with a bit of Trump. Really short ad.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm from NY also. We spawned Drumpf so it's our lot to suffer too.

We've tried to strangle him at every turn and we constantly mock him for being him. We've sued him, mocked him, ignored him, laughed at him, he just won't die. Personally, I blame the rest of the country for watching the Apprentice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom