• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

WaPo

Weber has been talking with RNC members and others about encouraging Pence to resign temporarily from the ticket, in hopes it would lead Trump to quit. He called it “the nuclear bomb.”

Apparently they're now in the bargaining^2 phase.

1. Pence resigns from ticket
2. Trump resigns from ticket
3. Just kidding! Pence rejoins ticket, Republican victory

jtb

Banned
We already know the GOP base will happily eat its own. I really think there's a possibly that an outright GOP civil war on the eve of the election, no less, has the possibility to not just depress turnout/support but cause it to absolutely crater.

Like what happens when Trump tells every one of his supporters not to vote for McCain or Ayotte? Crawling away now and thinking they can escape the repercussions for enabling Trump's rise is both craven and incredibly stupid.

WaPo

This is the single dumbest plan I've ever seen and I saw Rubio attack the size of Trump's penis during the primary.

mo60

With the way this weekend is brewing, In a few days we could see full GOP civil war. My money is on the trump train, At the least I want Mccains senate seat... lol

That is definitely possible if Kirkpatrick can overcome her double digit deficit in the next few weeks or so.

Burn the whole party to the ground. It deserves nothing less

I am reminded of a "funny image" somebody shared on Facebook many years ago. It was probably from LAD Bible or something terrible. The top panel was a girl in her underwear being barged in on with some playful "oh nooos don't look at me!!!" text. The bottom panel was a girl looking confident in a bathing suit. The ingenious caption was "what's the difference???"

The difference is consent, you piece of shit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is all going to come crumbling down after his spectacular debate performance tomorrow!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yes, actually. If Trump steps down now he will have been usurped by the establishment. This will depress GOP turnout.

If they replace him with some "moderate" replacement, it'll make it easy for enough "moderate" Republicans to vote against Hillary.

Yes, actually. If Trump steps down now he will have been usurped by the establishment. This will depress GOP turnout.

This is the best outcome. It takes all that bigoted fury that Trump whipped up and has it directed at the Republican party, instead of Hillary Clinton.

Oblivion

WaPo

Wait....what? Hahahahaaha, who comes up with this shit?

These Mike Pence fantasies are too much. Trump has a huge chunk of voters that will vote for him and him only at this point. It will be impossible for the GOP to win this election.

jtb

Banned
If they replace him with some "moderate" replacement, it'll make it easy for enough "moderate" Republicans to vote against Hillary.

if these mythical moderate republicans had meaningful political power to speak of in the first place, wouldn't we have literally anyone other than donald trump has the GOP nominee right now?

as an aside, I find the "the guns of august" GOP primary theory less and less convincing each day. Donald Trump is the nominee because Donald Trump is a reflection of the GOP primary electorate and this is what 20 years of Roger Ailes has created.

if these mythical moderate republicans had meaningful political power to speak of in the first place, wouldn't we have literally anyone other than donald trump has the GOP nominee right now?

as an aside, I find the "the guns of august" GOP primary theory less and less convincing each day. Donald Trump is the nominee because Donald Trump is a reflection of the GOP primary electorate and this is what 20 years of Roger Ailes has created.

What's the "Guns of August" theory? That sounds like a rock band.

WaPo

This is the single dumbest plan I've ever seen and I saw Rubio attack the size of Trump's penis during the primary.
Seriously.. this is the plan.. what really makes them think that Trump gives a flying fuck if Pence leaves.. He is not "dropping out". He is in it to the end.

He will burn you imbeciles to the ground without batting an eye.. They are Deluded.

Sibylus

Banned
WaPo

Morons who strapped themselves to Trump still don't understand Trump. He'll go on to the end regardless of what anyone else does. He has to.

jtb

Banned
@RyanLizza
Kellyanne Conway tells me she is NOT resigning. "That is silly," she texts. (There was speculation after she canceled tv appearance on Fox.)

What's the "Guns of August" theory? That sounds like a rock band.

The idea that the GOP primary was a collective action failure: 17 candidates, but no one was willing to drop out "for the good of the party" or whatever because they miscalculated their own chances at winning, trump's base, his seriousness abut running, etc., allowing Trump to win with a plurality. (Guns of august = the start of world war 1)

Oblivion

Because in the primaries, the Trumpeters outnumbered the non-Trumpeters. In the general however, we won't have them competing against each other, and their votes combined will be enough to win.

They can't do this. Ballots are already sent out with his name on it. People have already voted. They are fucked.

Then what's the point of Ryan telling Trump to resign? Some pathetic attempt at trying to save face knowing nothing can be done?

@PatrickRuffini
Trump can't be replaced on ballots but enough court rulings could make it Hillary 260, Trump 213, Pence 65, with GOP House electing Pence.

God this is revealing what these #nevertrumpers really are.

This is going to get so ugly. He's going to go kick and screaming all the way to Election day and he's going to focus at least as much attention fighting the GOP as Hilary. This is worse than when the GOP was openly considering using a contested convention to get rid of Trump.

Boke1879

Because in the primaries, the Trumpeters outnumbered the non-Trumpeters. In the general however, we won't have them competing against each other, and their votes combined will be enough to win.

Then what's the point of Ryan telling Trump to resign? Some pathetic attempt at trying to save face knowing nothing can be done?

Pretty much. He can't support him after this weekend, but nothing can be done.

jtb

Banned
also I'm sure it's been posted already, but from Ryan Lizzay's Conway profile:

"While Conway was in law school, she worked as a research assistant in the firm of Richard Wirthlin, Reagan’s longtime pollster and strategist. She briefly practiced law, and later worked for the Republican pollster Frank Luntz. The polling business was dominated by men. “I’m a female consultant in the Republican Party, which means when I walk into a meeting at the R.N.C. or somewhere I always feel like I’m walking into a bachelor party in the locker room of the Elks club,” she said."

I mean, jesus.

PoliGAF,

Where did the meme around Hillary laughing at the fact that she "freed" a child rapist in 1975(?) Originate from?

I can't find shit about laughing and context anywhere

“Defended an accused child rapist, then laughed about his lenient sentence”

This refers to a 41-year-old case which resurfaced when the Washington Free Beacon in 2014 discovered unpublished audio recordings from the mid-1980s of Clinton being interviewed by Arkansas reporter Roy Reed for an article that was never published. The case was also covered extensively in a 2008 article by Glenn Thrush in Newsday.

In 1975, Clinton – then Hillary Rodham – was a 27-year-old law professor running a legal aid clinic in the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. After a 41-year-old factory worker was accused of raping a 12-year-old girl, he asked the judge to replace his male court-appointed lawyer with a female attorney. The judge went through the list of a half-dozen women practicing law in the county and picked Clinton.

On the recording, Clinton describes it as a “terrible case” and also “fascinating.” In her autobiography, “Living History,” Clinton wrote, “I told [prosecutor] Mahlon [Gibson] I really don’t feel comfortable taking on such a client, but Mahlon gently reminded me that I couldn’t very well refuse the judge’s request.” Gibson has confirmed that account in interviews with Newsday and CNN, saying Clinton told him: “I don’t want to represent this guy. I just can’t stand this. I don’t want to get involved. Can you get me off?” (On the tape, Clinton says the prosecutor asked if she could take the case “a favor to him.”)

In other words, Clinton was a court-appointed attorney, given the case despite personal objections. (As Newsday put it, “Her approach, then and now, was to immerse herself in even unpleasant tasks with a will to win.”) Once appointed, she aggressively defended the alleged rapist; at one point, she attacked the 12-year-old’s credibility, writing in an affidavit that she had been informed “the complainant is emotionally unstable with a tendency to seek out older men and to engage in fantasizing.” An investigator on the case told Newsday that there were “serious inconsistencies” in the victim’s statements about the incident, in part because of her “infatuation” with a 15-year-old boy who was also present and told authorities he had sex with her.

Ultimately, the prosecution’s case fell apart for a number of reasons, including investigators mishandling evidence of bloody underwear, so in a plea agreement the charges were reduced from first-degree rape to unlawful fondling of a minor under the age of 14. Until the Newsday report, the victim did not realize that Clinton had been the lawyer on the other side. She has since attacked Clinton for putting “me through hell.”

In the recorded interview, Clinton is heard laughing or giggling four times when discussing the case with unusual candor; the reporter is also heard laughing, and sometimes Clinton is responding to him.

Here are the four instances:

“Of course he [the defendant] claimed he didn’t [rape]. All this stuff. He took a lie detector test. I had him take a polygraph, which he passed, which forever destroyed my faith in polygraphs.” (Both Clinton and the reporter laugh)
“So I got an order to see the evidence and the prosecutor didn’t want me to see the evidence. I had to go to Maupin Cummings [the judge] and convince Maupin that yes indeed I had a right to see the evidence before it was presented. (Clinton laughs lightly between “evidence” and “before”)
“I handed it [a biography of her expert witness] to Mahlon Gibson, and I said, ‘Well this guy’s ready to come up from New York to prevent this miscarriage of justice.’” (Clinton laughs, as does the reporter)
“So [judge] Maupin had to, you know, under law he was supposed to determine whether the plea was factually supported. Maupin asked me to leave the room while he examined my client so that he could find out if it was factually supported. I said ‘Judge I can’t leave the room I’m his lawyer!’ he said ‘I know but I don’t want to talk about this in front of you.'” (Reporter says, “Oh God, really?” And they both laugh.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...entence-and-attack-sexual-harassment-victims/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom