• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
His ceiling polling is not 44 when he has had five polls in a row above that. Five polls in a row is not an individual poll.

This isn't rocket science!

EDIT: But fine, whatever. By tomorrow, the 39% from Reuters, the 41% from Marist and NBC, and the 44% from the Economist will have dropped off and Trump will be above 44% on RCP. So fine, if you're going to be an ass, we'll just wait 24 hours and then I reserve the right to say I told you so.

Just in case everyone forgot what Crab said. :)

Kusagari

There's not a single Democrat in FL, outside of Nelson and Rubio going head-to-head, that would be favored to beat Rubio in a normal election.

Murphy might luck out because of Trump and get carried along the finish line, but he's only the best of a horrific bench.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You guys asking Mark Cuban to come pay the penalties for anyone leaking tapes from The Apprentice do know that Mark Burnett is the creator of Shark Tank, too, right?

NeoXChaos

There's not a single Democrat in FL, outside of Nelson and Rubio going head-to-head, that would be favored to beat Rubio in a normal election.

Murphy might luck out because of Trump and get carried along the finish line, but he's only the best of a horrific bench.

Is Gwen going to be ready in 2018 for Governor?

ascii42

I've been thinking about this a lot, actually:
If McMullin or Johnson consolidate support, a third-party [candidate] could actually win this state.
That would be something, but since conservative votes will be divided three ways, I find it hard to believe either one could push ahead of both Hillary and Trump. Regardless, I look forward to seeing Utah's vote breakdown.

Ithil

Alt-right news/twitter/The_Donald is exploding. GOP is experiencing a full on insurgency.

The best part about that is they're so delusional (thanks to them living in a giant echo chamber) that they fully think they can win just on their own, without "the establishment GOP", so they don't even realise they're leading directly to a democrat landslide across the board by splitting the vote like that.

Drakeon

You guys asking Mark Cuban to come pay the penalties for anyone leaking tapes from The Apprentice do know that Mark Burnett is the creator of Shark Tank, too, right?
Ok, fine, maybe get Bloomberg to do it then. Or any of the number of other Billionaires who have repudiated Trump.

Syncytia

Somehow I doubt Mark Cuban cares more about a TV show than the election.

This could probably by crowd funded, even.

Edit: Additionally, how do you think people will react to Mark Burnett holding on to tapes if Trump really says the N word? He will get torn apart.

seems like cuban would have be in an even better spot then. he is the main draw

Boke1879

While I want that tape to release. I really do because it would certainly destroy Trump in everything. I'm pretty sure Hilldawg has something juicy herself.

Mormons are a pretty monolithic group so it wouldn't be unheard of for a huge swing against him with people not voting.

I mean, if it were to happen, it'd be this election.

The question is if someone can consolidate the anti-Trump vote, if it gets split three ways among Hillary/Johnson/McMullin then Trump is going to win. it might require Democrats to vote for McMullin on election day.

Kusagari

Is Gwen going to be ready in 2018 for Governor?

She's probably the best choice, but I don't have much faith in her beating Putnam or Atwater. Though there's also rumors Fuckabee might try to ruin another state and run.

The only way I see this happening is if Romney stops being a loser and actually endorses McMuffin or Johnson to consolidate support.

Retro

Do you guys really think the current GOP is done after this election? I'd like to see it but it just seems too good to be true. The beginning of the end maybe.

The changes the RNC made to their primary process means whoever gets out there first and says the craziest thing to get people fired up wins. McCain and Romney both had to walk to the right to win; unless those rules change, whoever wants to win has to sprint into the hard right to get out in front of other populist candidates. Effectively, they have to out-Trump the other Trumps. Until that changes, they can't even begin to walk back their ghastly reputation with non-white male voters, let alone actively court the demographic groups they need with anything approaching believably.

Where's the brilliant and talented Kellyanne Conway?

Steamship to Alaska, to start her new career delivering dry goods and mail by dogsled.

GusBus

Do y'all think there's any chance Johnson will pull more than 5% of the popular vote (thereby meeting the public funding threshold)? It would make for an interesting 2020 if the Libertarians start off with millions of dollars in the bank.

Do y'all think there's any chance Johnson will pull more than 5% of the popular vote (thereby meeting the public funding threshold)? It would make for an interesting 2020 if the Libertarians start off with millions of dollars in the bank.

There's a fair chance he meets 5%. His numbers have been on the decline, but I wonder if a Trump collapse bounces him up again.

Grexeno

Millions of dollars to expose how crazy they are.

Only way third party could win Utah is with a Romney endorsement.

I think something ridiculous like 20% of Utah GOP voters said they were just going to write in Mitt's name.

GusBus

Millions of dollars to expose how crazy they are.

I mean, I would never vote for them. But I do think a third party is healthy for public discourse. Plus, there's no telling what sort of damage they might do to the remnants of the GOP by drawing in disaffected voters.

There's a fair chance he meets 5%. His numbers have been on the decline, but I wonder if a Trump collapse bounces him up again.

I've been wondering that as well. He may not win NM or UT but he has a chance to pick up a ton of votes.

This is all real and just happened to me. No exaggerations.

I went to go visit my parents church today. They've been at a strong southern evangelical church for years, often sliding in typical conservative talking points and winking at nationalism. My family has stayed so long because so many people there are like family. Now, my parents aren't big Hillary fans but they despise Trump. They've been flabbergasted by the cognitive dissonance going on with evangelicals and it saddens them. The racism against us as Hispanics, the sexism, etc. I've tried to explain that this has always been going on, but they just didn't want to see it.

Today, instead of the typical sermon, the pastor started off wanting to address the current situation and asked if anybody else wanted to say something before the church. What followed was a sea of white people getting up and spouting both coded and direct propaganda. My mother had warned me before church to not get mad, so I sat silent, seething through all of this.

No joke, these words were uttered in our church today: Nationalism, Globalism, destruction of our nation, Hannity, John Hagee, Trump is a converted Christian now, democrats are for killing babies, our kids don't know anything because they're taught by professors who were paid off by big business. They pushed real hard the notion that we need to vote all the establishment out, that God could use Trump and that Pence was a good guy.

My mother eventually got so upset, she stood up and went to go talk. She spoke shortly but emphasized that Love is what brought her to the church and saved our family's life. Love, not hate or fear or anger is what keeps us. I was really proud of her.

Then, another woman got up and said "yeah, agreed." But then quickly dismissed that and asked if we all would stand up and sing "God Bless America". It was like a parody of a conservative church. It felt like a scene out of The Purge.

More people got up and talked. And my mom sat their crying at what she had never wanted to see before. No sermon was given today. God was not on topic at church today and it broke her heart. No message of Jesus for the broken or hurting. Only politics. We walked out quietly during the prayer because my mom was so visibly upset.

As we left, the pastor's daughter, an elder in the church and friend of my mom, stopped us because she saw my mom crying and leaving and "it broke her heart". She tried to console her while my mom tried to explain why she felt like this. The lady asked us "Can I pray for your mom?" I snapped back (maybe too hard), "Can you also pray for the Church?!" She winced and just went right into a prayer only about my mom and the country. We said thanks and quickly left the building.

I know not many of you are religious or from religious backgrounds or whatever. But evangelicals are all on board Trump's vileness and it destroyed me to see my mother's heart break for the church of people she loved today. For not hearing Jesus.

It breaks my heart what Trump (and the conservatives) have done for years and have hurt my parents so much.

I grew up a Mississippi Southern Baptist. I was raised around churches for my whole life until college, and even joined a Christian fraternity. While I no longer believe, I met a lot of great people who did genuinely believe the Word and wanted to help the downtrodden; to live as Christ did.

But more numerous were the people who were clearly only going to church on holidays, and who snored through the sermons. After a few years, I even noticed that certain messages just never seemed to come up. It was always the "Watch out for the deceivers and the infiltrators" (AKA liberals and Mooslims) instead of any of the loving your neighbor stuff. After Obama got elected, things went super south and it was all politics all the time. The most interesting linguistic tick back then was that people started saying "It's a damn shame when our country won't elect a war hero over someone like Obama." and you could clearly tell that they were contrasting McCain as a soldier versus Obama the Muslim Deceiver.

pigeon

Banned
Only way third party could win Utah is with a Romney endorsement.

I think something ridiculous like 20% of Utah GOP voters said they were just going to write in Mitt's name.

Romney's been conspicuously not endorsing yet. He could definitely come out for McMullin or Johnson.

GusBus

I'm trying to find more and more remote locations with more elaborate back stories every time someone asks. Next time, she'll be a burka-clad rickshaw runner in Kuala Lumpur.

latest

Incognito mode.

Teggy

Pretty hilarious- every time some negative gossip about the RNC get tweeted, Sean Spicer retweets it with just the words "this is not true".

NeoXChaos

I don't know why any Utah Democrat would go for McMuffin when this is the closest the state has been to going blue in decades.

The ONLY way I repeat only way UT goes Hillary performs as well as Obama's 33% in 08 AND Trump, Johnson & McMullian split the rest 31% 29%, 28%, 3%.

Otherwise she'd have to win it 26% and the rest 25%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom