• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Someone ask Jimmy Fallon what it feels like to tousle the hair of a serial rapist
I have to say, I think Jimmy Fallon is getting too much shit for that interview.
I'm not a huge fan of Jimmy Fallon and I didn't like the interview, but remember that such late night fluff appearances are pretty much the norm for candidates. Now yeah, you could say that Trump is not a normal candidate and I would actually agree (to an extent at least, but far enough to reconsider such things), but the media as a whole covered him as a normal candidate, and I think it's a bit unrealistic if not unfair to expect Jimmy Fallon of all people to be the person breaking that mold.

sazzy

I have to say, I think Jimmy Fallon is getting too much shit for that interview.
I'm not a huge fan of Jimmy Fallon and I didn't like the interview, but remember that such late night fluff appearances are pretty much the norm for candidates. Now yeah, you could say that Trump is not a normal candidate and I would actually agree (to an extent at least, but far enough to reconsider such things), but the media as a whole covered him as a normal candidate, and I think it's a bit unrealistic if not unfair to expect Jimmy Fallon of all people to be the person breaking that mold.

its not just that he treated him like an old friend - why give this man a platform at all? fallon isn't running a news show.

Chichikov

its not just that he treated him like an old friend - why give this man a platform at all? fallon isn't running a news show.
Why did SNL give Sarah Palin a platform in 2008?
I can give you a ton of other examples, so no need to nitpick the exact differences between the two.

It's like what we do in America, at least since the 90s (I honestly don't know/remember to what exent that stuff went in the 80s and before, but the whole thing was gradual, so I pretty sure it existed in some form).
You can hate it and that's fine, but I think you can put it on Fallon's shoulders.

CCS

Banned
It's funny how people at work are exactly like PoliGAF, in that they swing between laughing about Trump and panicking like the world is ending over the smallest shifts. Sad!

tmarg

Regular candidates usually do get appearances on shows like Fallon's. Clinton has done late night shows too. Like Chichikov said, Trump isn't a normal candidate, but why are you expecting a comedian like Fallon to make that distinction when even serious journalists aren't willing to?

mclem

So, one thing that struck me around the time of the conventions and probably bears revisiting right now:

What are the odds that the Republicans have some sort of superdelegate-esque system in the primaries by 2020?

So, one thing that struck me around the time of the conventions and probably bears revisiting right now:

What are the odds that the Republicans have some sort of superdelegate-esque system in the primaries by 2020?

None. Republicans will forget that they nominated Trump and he ran for President by January 2017.

Nordicus

Trying to win most ways to lose in one election cycle award? Somehow Cruz managed to weave INTO every punch. Incredible. Just like when his stunt got all those appointments through that one time. Stay losing.
Artist depiction of Cruz this election

KxRH6HO.gif

Cerium

Every time this question gets asked I roll my eyes. If they had superdelegates this year, do you really think they would have had the balls to use them to deny Trump? And then face the full wrath of the deplorables who are a plurality of their party?

For that matter, do you think the Democrats would've used superdelegates to deny Bernie? Hillary tried it in 2008 and they balked and switched sides.

Superdelegates are a paper tiger. In any scenario where you would seriously consider using them to override the voters, you're already dead.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Third debate questions:

Wallace will ask questions about debt and entitlements, immigration, the economy, the Supreme Court, foreign hot spots and the candidates’ fitness to be president

Still not a direct question on climate change or gun control. Ugh.

Maledict

All topics that have come up in the previous debates. That's disappointing.

It's also a very conservative leaning set of questions. Debts and entitlements? Completely not an issue right now. Yet no gun control, climate change or equality issues. The framing of the debate would play very strongly to a more traditional republican candidate.

Veelk

Banned
It's also a very conservative leaning set of questions. Debts and entitlements? Completely not an issue right now. Yet no gun control, climate change or equality issues. The framing of the debate would play very strongly to a more traditional republican candidate.

That's why I was worried about Chris Wallace doing the third debate. Again, nothing against the guy himself, but if Fox is pulling the strings, they're obviously gonna skew things in their corner's favor. Especially that Fitness for President. GEE, I WONDER IF TRUMP WILL BRING UP HER EMAILS AND BENGHAZI AGAIN WHAT DO YOU GUYZ THINK

That said, the third debate is the least impactful one. Almost everyone is decided by this point. So whatevs, Hillary just needs to do a competent job and maybe bait Trump to embarrass himself again a few times.

Pixieking

Banned

Yeah. Thinking about it, this shows... Not a bias towards Trump, but an awareness of his "strong points". Immigration, the economy, foreign hotspots ("Isis"). I put "strong points" in quote marks there, because he can rant about those topics and appeal to his base, but ranting about gun control, climate change and equality would have the potential to scare his base away.

Conversely, Hillary can't show how progressive she is on any of those subjects, though she may be able to leverage equality with the SCOTUS question. But she will be the more obviously intelligent candidate when debating the points, with the obviously better policies. Plus, "fitness to be President"? The only way that can really reflect badly on her is with *sigh* emails, or physical fitness. And I'm guessing that after that Trump attack ad, it'll focus more on her physical health - which she can knock out the park with a repeat of her first debate answer.

mclem

Every time this question gets asked I roll my eyes. If they had superdelegates this year, do you really think they would have had the balls to use them to deny Trump? And then face the full wrath of the deplorables who are a plurality of their party?

No, I don't think they'd have had the confidence to use them, but that's not really the point - the point is more whether they panic and implement something along those lines as a safety valve against future incursions from the extreme right wing. It's not exactly a question of whether they use it.

I would say that I think right now, if they had the option and could turn back time and do it again, they'd have taken the hit at the convention.

Morning Joe spent 20 minutes "talking" about all the Trump accusations, and did everything possible to not actually talk about the accusations. It was pretty impressive. Most of the time was spent saying stuff like "I'm not saying I don't believe the accusers, but remain skeptical of the timing".

Boke1879

Morning Joe spent 20 minutes "talking" about all the Trump accusations, and did everything possible to not actually talk about the accusations. It was pretty impressive. Most of the time was spent saying stuff like "I'm not saying I don't believe the accusers, but remain skeptical of the timing".

Well this about to dominate the airwaves so they are definitely doing their best deflection

if we went back to May of last year, nominated a tuna sandwich with swiss cheese for president, and supported it up until today it would be #1 in the polls regardless of the party. the most controversial thing would be whether or not it had mayo on it.

Veelk

Banned
I once wrote up a topic that asked whether republicans will be as sexist to Clinton as they were racist to Obama.

I don't remember what most replies said, but it seems people believe that Clinton will be able to dissolve the gridlock that prevented Obama's presidency from becoming all it could be. Which is a good thing. I think part of the reason Trump happened is that the gridlock was as frustrating to republicans as to democrats, since it meant nothing was getting done (even though it was their own bullheadedness causing it). If we can get a president who actually accomplishes policy, that might be enough for them not to be fucking insane next year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Northern VA always comes in insanely slow, it's ridiculous

They might not even need it at the rate this is going. The Trump campaign right now is in full, 100% meltdown, and I know we don't have a ton of data suggesting the downticket is suffering but every inside baseballer (which I know is usually not worth much) is signaling things are spiraling at the top. And the polls we do have do show Clinton gaining and winning the debate.

I wonder if they're going to focus test a "I'm not bill, I'm Hillary, donald" answer for the next debate.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mika: *reads washington post endorsement*

Joe: but, wapo, how do you feel about how big a fuckup hillary is???

Pixieking

Banned
I wonder if they're going to focus test a "I'm not bill, I'm Hillary, donald" answer for the next debate.

I think that'd play very well - direct, polite, and no easy counter-attack. Trump could rant about how she enabled Bill, but he can do that regardless. It's such a short answer, it sound-bites really easily, and it focuses the audience on the fact that she isn't her husband.

Me thinks those legal threats are just that. Threats.

No way he goes to court and has to answer to all the things he has said.

The Access Hollywood video was a warning shot that he ignored of course, now it's a domino effect.

Boke1879

Me thinks those legal threats are just that. Threats.

No way he goes to court and has to answer to all the things he has said.

Yea they seem like threats right now but no one is intimated by them. If he sued it would be the biggest story of the month, but nothing would probably happen until after the election anyway.

Right now you have women coming forward and one going to give an interview today. This is about to be the topic of The View and probably all of day time news shows and it'll filter into the nightly cable news and even the late shows.

Trump is going to publicly lash out. This man has had like a constant stream of negative coverage since the first debate.

Cyanity

Banned
Watching Fox and Friends trying to throw everything and the kitchen sink at HRC out of desperation this morning is giving me life.

Do we expect and more of the GOP to pull their endorsements today?

Everyone with a spine already unendorsed Trump. Everyone else is waiting for the killing oppo.

Pixieking

Banned
Slightly off-topic, but this just came on Winamp (via shuffle). Such a perfect fit for where HRC and her campaign is now., I think. Lyrics:

For centuries, we have been at war
But this is where the battle ends, and I have won
And yes you may, raise awareness to
The damage I'm to mend, and what you've done
But I know that you know the truth
And I know that you know comeuppance coming after you

So I will lie defeated here
And though it may take many years, you'll come clean
I will cry repeatedly
But I'll come out the other side a brand new me

A waiting game, and though I cant sit still
I'm sure that you are in more pain,as you've the guilty plea
And you can claim, upon your mother's life
That you are in the clear, the jury'll pin the blame on me
But I know that you know the lie
And I know that you know there's details you cannot deny

So I will lie defeated here
I will cry repeatedly

So hide my little sheep
But do you hear me howling at the moon when you sleep
I'm a restless soul
And I'll creep around your house until the stories all fall out of all the closets you've been hoarding them in all the years

I will lie defeated here
I will cry repeatedly

(Bitter Ruin "A Brand New Me")

thefro

The Today Show thing is coming up in about 10 min, but it's just Zucker (soap star from Access Hollywood tape) talking about it. So probably not going to be a huge bombshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom