• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Hillary got the coveted Adele endorsement.

Also, BAM

9h
Steve Schale‏ @steveschale
Here is a nice stat for you from Florida: Roughly 44% of Dem and NPA Hispanics who voted early yesterday are "unlikely" voters.

Boke1879

No audio = no play.

Come at the orange, best not miss.

Not sure how it'll play out, but lets say NBC has stories attacking him on this issue and hae interviews with people.

At the very least. If Donald has to come out and attack/defend himself that's a loss for him.

No audio = no play.

Come at the orange, best not miss.
Not the point. If this ends up on Dateline or Nightly or whatever, people will talk about it. When was the last time the media picked up on it? You also have a great chance to drop something about the Central Park 5. Something like this, known oppo, is still useful. It keeps people talking. Also, Trump has Daddy issues. He will not stand for this.

Geg

What time will polls start to close on the east coast on the 8th? I want to make sure I'll be home in time for when it all begins

Cooper on CNN has some good o**o audio of Trump bankruptcy bragging.
i told y'all about that florida hispanic vote. none of the polling there was going to be accurate.
Trump is such a divisive jerk he's going to throw the polling industry into an existential crisis for a decade after this election. In the future, when asking someone how likely they are to vote or their feelings on a topic, they'll need to rate it from "1" to "Trump," so see if they're just annoyed or Trump 2016-level annoyed.

No one expects the secret Latino vote

EVERYONE should have!

Enough puerto ricans to fill the city of Dallas were dropped on Florida in the space of four years. All of them eligible to vote, and NO ONE expected it to royally fuck up likely voter polls?

Cooper on CNN has some good o**o audio of Trump bankruptcy bragging.
Trump is such a divisive jerk he's going to throw the polling industry into an existential crisis for a decade after this election. In the future, when asking someone how likely they are to vote or their feelings on a topic, they'll need to rate it from "1" to "Trump," so see if they're just annoyed or Trump 2016-level annoyed.

That's not why. see the above. No matter who ran this year, likely voter models would not have been accurate for florida. The population went up way too fast from a population that's way too hard to poll.

Slayven

EVERYONE should have!

Enough puerto ricans to fill the city of Dallas were dropped on Florida in the space of four years. All of them eligible to vote, and NO ONE expected it to royally fuck up likely voter polls?

That's not why. see the above. No matter who ran this year, likely voter models would not have been accurate for florida. The population went up way too fast from a population that's way too hard to poll.

Do they only poll in English?

Do they only poll in English?

I wrote a post about this yesterday or the day before:

It's not much of an assumption, it's absolutely true.

There has been a massive, massive influx of new residents to florida from PR since 2012. A million citizens in 4 years is ASTRONOMICAL.

to put this in perspective, there were only 1.3 million cuban americans in florida TOTAL as of 2013.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/09/1...ins-cuba-04-2/

There are right now almost certainly more puerto ricans of hispanic origin in florida now than there are cubans. This was not the case in 2012. And PR latinos favor the democratic party by lopsided 70/30 margins BEFORE the Trump business. Support for the republican party is even less now- trump has no shot at getting anywhere near 30% of the PR vote. Nationally his favorability with hispanics is closer to 15.

Ticket splitting cubans are absolutely not enough to overcome this.

Consider also how likely polling is done. Many pollsters (but not all) rely heavily on past voting history to determine who is a likely voter. Given that none of those 1 million PR latinos was around for the 2012 election (and most people skip midterms) few to none will make it past a LV screen.

Ok, but what about those that don't rely exclusively on past voting history? There are pollsters that take a more nuanced view, sure. But how many of them are polling in spanish? Recent immigrants from PR are heavily spanish speaking, much moreso than florida cubans are- many of those are US born and the ones that aren't have been here for many years now.

There is no reason at all to assume that polling for latino preferences is anywhere near accurate in Florida for 2016. A tie or a slim lead among likely voters for Rubio has a very good chance of being a loss for him.

also, to tack on to that, the bloomberg article I posted earlier today points out that pollsters generally don't bother separating "latino" out into place of origin. they make no distinction between cubans, PR's, mexicans, etc. The only one that does (latino decisions) came up with extremely alarming 75/15 numbers for Trump among that population- and that number was even LOWER among the island born PR population..which would be all of that 1 million that just flooded in. It's basically zero.

smurfx

get some go again
Hillary got the coveted Adele endorsement.

Also, BAM
i seriously hope all those voters are voting against rubio.

edit: don't puerto ricans have a really high voting turnout rate in puerto rico? hopefully those people who moved to miami turn out to vote.

Slayven

I wrote a post about this yesterday or the day before:

also, to tack on to that, the bloomberg article I posted earlier today points out that pollsters generally don't bother separating "latino" out into place of origin. they make no distinction between cubans, PR's, mexicans, etc. The only one that does (latino decisions) came up with extremely alarming 75/15 numbers for Trump among that population- and that number was even LOWER among the island born PR population..which would be all of that 1 million that just flooded in. It's basically zero.

Very interesting. Now CNN doing a whole segment on how polls work and how Donald sucks

i seriously hope all those voters are voting against rubio.

edit: don't puerto ricans have a really high voting turnout rate in puerto rico? hopefully those people who moved to miami turn out to vote.

They do, but the bloomberg article mentions its not as high when they get here, because the culture around voting is different. Voting day is pretty much a holiday over there, street carnivals, etc.

not so much in florida.

Democrats have been putting WORK in getting them to turn out though, correctly assuming it's a numbers game. Get them to the polls to vote for hillary and the rest takes care of itself.

Zukkoyaki

I was poking around 538's updates and found Gravis' latest national poll!!

Clinton - 50
Trump - 50

... Registered voters.

I don't want to be that guy but I almost want to say they completely made this one up :p

rjinaz

Clinton - 50
Trump - 50

... Registered voters.

I don't want to be that guy but I almost want to say they completely made this one up :p

Lol. Soooo many Trump hopefuls are going to be celebrating that poll. I'd feel bad if it were anybody else.

Justice Dept: You have to stop discriminating

Trump: Wrong

IMG_20161021_221545.jpg

Zukkoyaki

I'm too lazy to find it but a couple of weeks ago Good Nate tweeted out, "Sorry Trump supporters, but Gravis, Emerson and Rasmussen just don't meet quality standards."

Followed that with... "Bad firms, bad data, landline only, etc."

Meanwhile, Bad Nate "Let's include all of these and weigh the shit out of them!!"

Clinton - 50
Trump - 50

... Registered voters.

I went to their website to see the details. the raw numbers actually look fine. Obama's favorability is underwater when it shouldn't be, and hillary is lower than I remember her being on average, but otherwise there's nothing glaring like forgetting that blacks and hispanics exist.

what's probably going on is this:

One America News Network and Gravis Marketing, a nonpartisan research firm, conducted a random survey of 2,109 registered voters across the United States. The poll was conducted from October 20th through the 23rd and has a margin of error of ±2.1% at the 95% confidence level. The total may not equal to 100% because of rounding. The polls were conducted using automated telephone calls and weighted by anticipated voting demographics.

They polled enough minorities, women, etc- but since they "don't anticipate" they'll actually turn out in large numbers, and "do anticipate" a silent majority of white voters with high school degrees mysteriously showing up on november 8th, the weighting is all out of whack.

Zukkoyaki

I went to their website to see the details. the raw numbers actually look fine. Obama's favorability is underwater when it shouldn't be, and hillary is lower than I remember her being on average, but otherwise there's nothing glaring like forgetting that blacks and hispanics exist.

what's probably going on is this:

They polled enough minorities, women, etc- but since they "don't anticipate" they'll actually turn out in large numbers, and "do anticipate" a silent majority of white voters with high school degrees mysteriously showing up on november 8th, the weighting is all out of whack.

That makes sense. I'll be the first to admit I didn't actually look at the numbers. But that result is so hysterical I had to post it.

That makes sense. I'll be the first to admit I didn't actually look at the numbers. But that result is so hysterical I had to post it.

funny how the pollsters with absolutely ludicrous, get the fuck out of here results always lean republican? you never see a wacky dem pollster consistently coming up with Hillary +20 when everyone else has her at +5.

Gravis/Rasmussen/IBD do it and no one bats an eye.

Newt screams at Megyn Kelly that she only cares about sex and not public policy because Megyn Kelly covered Trump assaulting women more than Hillary saying that open borders would be nice, Megyn Kelly tells Newt to fuck off and work on anger management.

https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/status/791090355248762880

Team Trump responds:

.@NewtGingrich just destroyed @MegynKelly. Shows she is totally biased against Mr. Trump & not very smart. Mr. Trump has long known!!

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/791095041838186496

Finally, bringing back an old classic to finish up the campaign.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
funny how the pollsters with absolutely ludicrous, get the fuck out of here results always lean republican? you never see a wacky dem pollster consistently coming up with Hillary +20 when everyone else has her at +5.

Gravis/Rasmussen/IBD do it and no one bats an eye.

Eh.... I think the polls that have her at +12 or higher could be overly in her favor. When many other polls have them around +5 to +7, a result like +12 is really not so removed from a tie.

kevin1025

Banned
Newt screams at Megyn Kelly that she only cares about sex and not public policy because Megyn Kelly covered Trump assaulting women more than Hillary saying that open borders would be nice, Megyn Kelly tells Newt to fuck off and work on anger management.

Team Trump responds:

It's always fun to watch the mental gymnastics at work, trying to make Gingrich's outbursts a win.

Measley

Just got back from this a little while ago. She's got so much energy, and is totally engaging. Really hoping we get our nasty woman into the Senate~

I love the "Nasty Woman" portion of her speech.

I hope Hillary gives her a powerful position in her government.

every time newt opens his mouth and moralizes/equivocates the person on the other end should remind him "well we all know you banged more than just the gavel while speaker of the house".

Liz Mair said:
Quick update: No, the cocaine-fueled underage model sex parties story re: Trump is NOT one of the two devastating ones I expected to drop, however, one of those may now not come out in view of Trump's threats to sue. Cost of someone violating a Trump NDA just went way up. Question is whether some big donor is going to chip into a Dem SuperPAC that would cover the fees of the NDA violator to get truth out.
To which Eichenwald responded by tweeting a story about lawyers offering to defend Trump accusers for free. So either Liz Mair never knew about this offer previously, in which case she knows now, so we should be getting that oppo soon, or she's just using "legal fees" as a cover-up for the fact that she doesn't actually have anything in the same way that Trump uses the IRS audit to excuse his failure to release his tax returns.

Boke1879

Team Trump responds:

Yes Newt go back to attacking Bill. Something you told Donald NOT to do. They know it's over. They are fighting themselves at this point.

Pyrokai

Why do you guys torture yourself with news on the television? I'm going to flatly say that it's all trash and sensationalized. Even the good guys. All of these networks. I have to turn to PBS for some sanity and I even dislike that. NPR will continue to be my source of choice. That, and various articles on the internet from sites not named CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc.... because their sensationalism is, IMO, a drag on our society.

Maybe I'm weird but.....I don't know. I get so angry watching the television news. I constantly feel like I'm trying to weed my way through sludge to find out what the news is.

And people. Fucking. Love it.

jesus megyn effortlessly ripped off his skull at the end of this clip while being unbothered the entire time. she sucks but this was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom