• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

The NYT projects that Clinton will win the popular vote by 1.3%. If that holds, then more Americans will have voted for a Democrat for president in 6 of the 7 last elections. Yet it seems that they're going to lose 3 of them. God damn, America.

Lindsey Graham is literally all there is between Russia and control of Eastern Europe, fuck me.

He better fucking rally those neocons. Get Rubio to take a stand with pride for once.

McCain, Rubio, Graham, and I bet even McConnell will be hard support for NATO. Probably missing at least a dozen plus more just less vocal. If Trump tries anything we'll see the Senate go to war against him literally.

In all seriousness, now would be a really good time for the House to rein back war powers. So that could be a win too (it's gotten way out of hand).

AniHawk

So who the fuck runs in 2020

the shortlist probably has a pretty good, diverse group of people including different ethnicities and including women... but it in order to win in this climate it would probably have to be a white guy.

fuck i thought we were past this shit.

Bowdz

Here's to hoping that the Senate and House GOP shows some compassion for the country and any degree of responsibility to the country. Reign in Trump as much as possible.

Slacker

Josh Greenman ‏@joshgreenman
Oh god Omarosa is going to be in the West Wing, isn't she?

Norman Ornstein ‏@NormOrnstein
That is not the problem. Inner circle of Giuliani, Christie, Michael Flynn, Bannon, Lewandowski. Jesus.

andthebeatgoeson

You gotta fucking vote. Every time. You can't take an election off.

125 million people voted in 2012. It looks to be in the 100-110 million range. You have to fucking vote.

Now, the precedent is set. Stall on scotus nominations. Obstruct. Lie and lie.

East Lake

I thought Hillary's worst case scenario was 323 today, and that we'd take the goddamned Senate. Considering all of that is a flaming fucked to death pile of garbage at our feet, I don't see where optimism that a Trump presidency won't be a fucking nightmare is in order.
It's not optimism, it's that there's effectively no way to actually know how it plays out.

Maengun1

I know this isn't the only thing, but at the back of my mind, all year, there's been a clawing voice saying that people really don't want a woman in power. People treat women like shit (check out our new president). Fuck. All those old women who were talking about what this meant to them. I have a 93 year old grandmother who told me how excited she was.

I am fucking despondent.

the shortlist probably has a pretty good, diverse group of people including different ethnicities and including women... but it in order to win in this climate it would probably have to be a white guy.

fuck i thought we were past this shit.

It looks like the country isn't ready for a woman, yet. The sexism that ran through this election was disappointing. And it wasn't as obvious as racism, so it was harder to point out.

I know this isn't the only thing, but at the back of my mind, all year, there's been a clawing voice saying that people really don't want a woman in power. People treat women like shit (check out our new president). Fuck. All those old women who were talking about what this meant to them. I have a 93 year old grandmother who told me how excited she was.

I am fucking despondent.

My mom was weeping when Trump won. She said she might never want to vote again, because what's even the point if the farmers get to make all the laws.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm praying for the establishment republicans. They honestly are our only hope, as bizarre as that sounds.

benjipwns

Banned
I know this sucks but after having your confident expectations dashed tonight, maybe it's best not to be so certain of the future with the doom and gloom scenarios.
shhh shhh time for cleansing

Do we even have a functional party anymore? We have no power in any part of the government, millennials are completely disillusioned with the party, I assure you this outcome is not going to help any minority voters who already only voted dem because it was the better alternative, and the culture of compromise and "listening to the otherside" when the other side is a bulldog with rabies has led to..This.
Trump is going to lose the popular vote, the GOP will have 53 Senate seats and ~237 House seats.

In 2004, Bush won 51% of the popular vote, the GOP got 55 Senate seats and 232 House seats. The Permanent Republican Majority.

By 2006, the Democrats had 51 Senate seats and 233 House seats. After 2008 they had 60 Senate seats and 257 House seats and had won the Presidency with 53% of the vote.

Phased

A Trump presidency will energize the fuck outta Dems, need good leadership and candidates though.

Agreed.

Things look grim now but people forget they also looked pretty fucking grim in 2000 and 2004. We need a good candidate and we need a progressive platform and we will come back in 2 or 4 years, but it has to start immediately, and D's have to stop being so fragile compared to Rs when it comes to going negative.

Clinton's negatives were just way too much of a hurdle I think, and if anything it seems like it galvanized the urban white vote hard against her. It certainly wasn't fair to her, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure who the candidate is though. Booker? Someone else? Warren may be too old now.

We'll get through this.

linkboy

You gotta fucking vote. Every time. You can't take an election off.

125 million people voted in 2012. It looks to be in the 100-110 million range. You have to fucking vote.

Now, the precedent is set. Stall on scotus nominations. Obstruct. Lie and lie.

I don't think there will be enough Democratic senate seats to stall.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Fuck you Gary Johnson Jill stein and yes you too Bernie... Where do you think Trump got "rigged sysfem" from? Sigh

Father in law worried he might get deported :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Agreed.

Things look grim now but people forget they also looked pretty fucking grim in 2000 and 2004. We need a good candidate and we need a progressive platform and we will come back in 2 or 4 years, but it has to start immediately, and D's have to stop being so fragile compared to Rs when it comes to going negative.

Clinton's negatives were just way too much of a hurdle I think, and if anything it seems like it galvanized the urban white vote hard against her. It certainly wasn't fair to her, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure who the candidate is though. Booker? Someone else? Warren may be too old now.

We'll get through this.

Michelle Obama runs and makes it blatantly obvious Barack will be running things behind the scenes. Instant win.

Trump is going to lose the popular vote, the GOP will have 53 Senate seats and ~237 House seats.

In 2004, Bush won 51% of the popular vote, the GOP got 55 Senate seats and 232 House seats. The Permanent Republican Majority.

By 2006, the Democrats had 51 Senate seats and 233 House seats. After 2008 they had 60 Senate seats and 257 House seats and had won the Presidency with 53% of the vote.

You realize it took 9/11 and the most disastrous war effort since Vietnam to make that happen.

Is that really something we want to repeat

Sanjuro

Donald Trump is going to be a voice for all the people.

E8rvlD7.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The difference is that the GOP now has the control and the free reign to suppress voting as much as they want. With the court out of reach and the legislature lost I don't see Democrats winning back House or Senate control for at least 12-16 years

Plinko

The difference is that the GOP now has the control and the free reign to suppress voting as much as they want. With the court out of reach and the legislature lost I don't see Democrats winning back House or Senate control for at least 12-16 years

Yep. Gerrymandering may get even worse.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Gerrymandering will make sure we don't get the House back in 2018.

mjp2417

Banned
This is an L that this country will never be able to remove. Say whatever you want about us, foreigners, I don't care, and you're probably right anyways.

Yep, we really are what they said we are. We absolutely need to realize this and not go witch hunting after individuals. James Comey did not swing this election; Hilary Clinton did not lose this election.The Whitmanian idea of American inclusiveness as an actually existing thing that we got drunk on over the last 8 years is attractive, but it's also utopian bullshit. This is, right now, an ugly, ugly country. There is no way forward until we reckon with this basic fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom