• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Heart

It's 2000 all over again.

What saddens me is that at this point I don't think it's unusual.

Assuming the Democrats maintain the same voting base It's probably a cycle that will continue for quite some time where the youth will remain apathetic as long as the times are good, allowing the Republican's voting base to rebound off of that apathy to take command.

By the time the youth grow up and try to fix things they will have the presidency for a few years, only for their kids to begin the process anew. Like no joke, at this point I have no idea how we fix this without possibly abandoning the youth for a more reliable voting bloc.

I'd like to see Corey Booker run in 2020. I honestly do not know much about the guy, but his DNC speech was amazing and he looks like the kind of guy that could raise a lot of enthusiasm in an election. Not to mention he will be 51 in 2020 which is pretty young.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Michelle Obama runs and makes it blatantly obvious Barack will be running things behind the scenes. Instant win.

Yeah a black woman, former first lady, will win this electorate.

The difference is that the GOP now has the control and the free reign to suppress voting as much as they want. With the court out of reach and the legislature lost I don't see Democrats winning back House or Senate control for at least 12-16 years

Suppress the vote
Take away the rights of minorities
Have a conservative justice

Suppressing the vote will guarantee that republicans hold power.

Taking away teh rights of minorities guarantees that cop killing and racism will continue.

And the Justice will guarantee that any progress we have made will be gone.

Can't we just drone the oompa loomp and call it a night.

Phased

Michelle Obama runs and makes it blatantly obvious Barack will be running things behind the scenes. Instant win.

Real talk I'd fucking love to see her run, but I think shes taken it off the table since she has such a disdain for politics.

Shame though. She'd be pretty good at it I think, however I think she'd get nailed on experience, although we just elected Trump so who the fuck knows.

We'll survive and believe it or not grow stronger. Hopefully Obama gets involved BIG LEAGUE for midterms. Racist Whites will continue dying off. This might actually be their last hurrah if they manage to pull this off.
Tell that to all these people I went to high school with that I hate.

Piecake

Isn't it evident from tonight that it doesn't really matter how much you mobilize minorities, the white vote will always triumph if it wants to?

2020 very well might be another wave for the GOP in an election identical to this one

Rural whites went out in record numbers because they finally got their candidate. If their candidate implodes or simply doesn't deliver for the next 4 years that enthusiasm will shrink.

4 years from now, if Trump continues to be a racist blowhard, you will see massive minority turnout to fight against him and a real boost in enthusiasm.

4 years from now, a lot of suburban republicans will probably be regretting voting for the guy and be embarrassed that they did. That is another boost toward the democrats.

Trump's rural white turnout is a complete aberation. I doubt it is going to be the new norm, especially once the Congress fails to deliver on any of the things that rural whites care about - immigration and keeping minorities out of their towns.

People keep saying that

Don't worry those racist whites will teach their children well on how to hate the 'other'.

The slope isn't a cliff but it is actually there. Almost all of my age-group from my rural SC town voted Clinton while their parents voted Trump. Especially women. The men had some Clinton's too, but a portion of them did retain their parents voting habits.

Crosseyes

Banned
Establishment Republicans are going to look at the result tonight and get their ass in line for Trump
I fear that. What is the senate and house going to do from congress to reign in Trump on foreign policy?

On domestic they'll swallow his shit to pass through the regular republican domestic agendas...

Now that this result has set in, interest is forming in my mind. For some reason i'm not as negative as I was an hour ago, now i'm just neutral and am ready to sit back and see what happens.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I recall questioning those in here a few days ago that kept saying Hillary would outperform her polling like in 2008 and 2012.

That happened because of Obama, people. Not because he was a democrat.

ZeroRay

I just wanted to say that I love you all and we will be fine in the end. This election, and this year gave me a new perspective on reality.

Thanks for the ride guys and I know we can make it through. As far as the immediate future goes. The 2010s will be looked on as one of the most tumultuous times in American history. Minority rights will be at the forefront and whether that leads to bloodshed or something massive, I hope we can all come together again.

I'll do my best to make sure the future's as bright as possible.

Kusagari

Establishment Republicans are going to look at the result tonight and get their ass in line for Trump

Exactly. Anyone who thinks they're looking at this result, when you better believe every single one of them thought he was going to lose just as bad as we did, and will dare try to piss off this silent majority that popped up out of nowhere is fooling themselves.

Trump is the new Reagan in the GOP.

Agreed. We need a good candidate and we need a progressive platform and we will come back in 2 or 4 years, but it has to start immediately, and D's have to stop being so fragile compared to Rs when it comes to going negative.

We'll get through this.

Fucking exactly. And try anything to win back parts of Rural America, rather than just going with it's impossible.

Yeah a black woman, former first lady, will win this electorate.

I'm beginning to think the critics had it correct. Hillary was a compromise candidate no one liked.

Racists have always been there, but Trump wouldn't have won against Obama.

Obviously Michelle as president is fantasyland, but the woman commands respect and bleeds conviction in a way that Hillary never did.

Hopefully we learn our lesson for 2020.

benjipwns

Banned
The difference is that the GOP now has the control and the free reign to suppress voting as much as they want. With the court out of reach and the legislature lost I don't see Democrats winning back House or Senate control for at least 12-16 years
The GOP had the Court then too. The Court has had a Republican appointee majority for 46 years.

Gerrymandering will make sure we don't get the House back in 2018.
Why didn't it stop 2006 and 2008? Was the House not gerrymandered then?

Bowdz

I'm praying for the establishment republicans. They honestly are our only hope, as bizarre as that sounds.

Seriously.

I have such little faith in them, but at this point, the GOP has full reign to do what they want and I hope that they don't savage things as badly as we have predicted they will. I think it is going to be worse than we've imagined, but I'm praying for people like Ryan to have a larger view of history and to reign in the worst of Trump.

It's time for the GOP to put their money where their mouth is. They can do what they want.

sphagnum

Banned
I'd like to see Corey Booker run in 2020. I honestly do not know much about the guy, but his DNC speech was amazing and he looks like the kind of guy that could raise a lot of enthusiasm in an election. Not to mention he will be 51 in 2020 which is pretty young.

NO GOD PLEASE

This is the same mistake all over again. Nobody with ties to wall street!

Source??

There were 200 million registered.

Judging by the number of people voted HC might win the popular vote but down from Obama I doubt Trump gets around 59 million probably 54-55 million. Johnson and stein both get a few million overall down from 127 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom