• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phased

Can we look internally for a second?

I'm pro data. And I'm fine believing it.

BUT. and this thread and myself were guilty of this - there was a smug insularity that walled off this group from the rest of the country (and vice versa).

Sides can't talk past each other - this needs to change.

We're all a little guilty of this. I got called an idiot and banned from the Discord channel for trying to be optimistic and examine why we lost and what we missed instead of just wallowing in doom and gloom.

Like I've been saying, it sucks, but we will get through this and come back stronger, but only if we learn from our mistakes here.

I've been glued to this for two hours... i'm in acceptance phase now. You'll hit it eventually :/

Note that I didn't feel this way when Bush was voted in twice, but that's because I was younger and much more naive to American politics. Kind of wish I was that young me again, this whole night has been way too goddamn stressful for me...

I'm the opposite. I was mid aged and starting a family during that era and managed to overcome it. This shit here tonight is a wake up call to everyone that got syntactical and thought dank memes were cute while they voted third party. Shit gets real fats huh?

thebloo

Can we look internally for a second?

I'm pro data. And I'm fine believing it.

BUT. and this thread and myself were guilty of this - there was a smug insularity that walled off this group from the rest of the country (and vice versa).

Sides can't talk past each other - this needs to change.

Go on a Donald inclined forum and talk to them then. Best of luck.

If you think "smug liberals" is the problem, sure. I can't contradict you at this point.

sphagnum

Banned
Warren or Colbert. And yeah, I think running a comedian isn't the "smartest" move, but what the fuck is anything anymore. Entertainers apparently win over extensive political experience in this bizarro world.

Colbert huh?

Non politician, loveable, Christian. We just elected a fucking reality show host, why not a comedian?

Oh hey, the markets collapsing now means that Trump gets to pin it all on Obama cause he was in office when it happened and the deplorables will eat it up.

I'm done posting. Good night.

Diablos

A guy with fucking sexual predator Ailes and the head of Breitbart running his campaign just won the presidency of the United States.
And the funny thing is they allowed the Internet to aid them -- largely in part thanks to Net Neutrality -- in making Hillary look worse than she really is.

royalan

Poll data was wrong. Completely wrong.

So how the fuck can any of us place any importance in favorability ratings?

Barack's favorables mean nothing. Michelle's favorables mean nothing. The most hated candidate in polling history won tonight, resoundingly.

Barack's favorables mean nothing. Michelle's favorables mean nothing. The most hated candidate in polling history won tonight, resoundingly.

He only won due to who he was. Take solace in that no other Republican can claim that.

Kusagari

I can only imagine what Putin is thinking right now.

I'm pretty sure, regardless of all the interference Russia made in the election, that he's just sitting stupefied going: "They really fucking did it."

Exactly, NONE of the data is reliable

Zeke

I really wonder what happens to Black Lives Matter now. Trump and his goons label them as a terrorist group.
The target on all our backs got bigger people will have no fear in confronting blm supporters or blacks in general, hispanics legal or not, Muslim americans. We've been hung out to dry by our fellow citizens. Hell is coming for us.

Data means nothing. Fuck me. I'm a fucking mess. Trump will come out and gloat like the motherfucker he is.

All that is? Validation for racist fucks to start spewing their shit. They're empowered now. TONIGHT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE NIGHT MINORITIES WERE FUCKING EMPOWERED. INSTEAD IT'S FUCKING WHITE PEOPLE WITH THEIR HATRED. WHAT THE FUCK DOES THE MAJORITY OF THIS COUNTRY CARE THAT THEY ARE WORKING TOWARDS TAKING AWAY RIGHTS OF WOMENS AND MINORITIES?

I just can't right now. I can't. The US is a fucking failure.

I have no problem talking with Mitt Romney or John McCain type republicans. I can't talk to Trump supporters who don't see the problem with saying we need to 'lock the bitch up'.

HTupolev

I can only imagine what Putin is thinking right now.

I'm pretty sure, regardless of all the interference Russia made in the election, that he's just sitting stupefied going: "They really fucking did it."
The mental image of even Putin scratching his head is sort of amazing.

I want to apologize for ever talking about how the EC has more broadly favored Democrats for awhile and would continue to do so. This was under the assumption that white people in competitive states didn't shift on a whim. It only favors Democrats in a higher minority turnout scenario, which was the direction the country had been headed for some time.

This election will never be understood. More glaring issue being how a ton of extremely credible pollsters could be so preposterously wrong in so many places. Some states upward of 10% off! We have results that are pushed far better for Trump than even R-sponsored polls or alleged leaked internal polls.

It'll be the most difficult sequence of events in my life to watch Trump proclaim massive moral and ethical majorities in this scenario. This election was something of a referendum on SCOTUS. Well, Democrats may actually win that referendum but unfortunately it means absolutely nothing. They're even going to pick up a Senate and a few House seats! That's how inexplicable this is. Trump never even really claimed to have polls showing dramatically different results, because he wasn't polling. American democracy relies on an informed electorate and an attentive media. With a PV win I guess I can't complain about the first, but on the later there is some serious explaining that needs to be done. Assuming they're not all jailed for libel, of course.

If someone with no political experience and no record of public service can the presidency with the literal support of hostile foreign governments and on campaign promises that include jailing his opponent, maybe the American experiment should be considered a failure at least temporarily.

This sets feminism back 40 years, but that's another story entirely...

Dems are finished. I don't see a path for that party on any level after this. They control nothing and can't win. I can't put into words what can be done now.

It will keep his popularity really low and I doubt he'll be able to do what he wants effectively so he'll lose support because he didn't do on what he says he'll do. What we can hope for is midterms. I think a lot of people might regret their decision. Either way it is crazy that turnout is lower than last election.

Data means nothing. Fuck me. I'm a fucking mess. Trump will come out and gloat like the motherfucker he is.

All that is? Validation for racist fucks to start spewing their shit. They're empowered now. TONIGHT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE NIGHT MINORITIES WERE FUCKING EMPOWERED. INSTEAD IT'S FUCKING WHITE PEOPLE WITH THEIR HATRED. WHAT THE FUCK DOES THE MAJORITY OF THIS COUNTRY CARE THAT THEY ARE WORKING TOWARDS TAKING AWAY RIGHTS OF WOMENS AND MINORITIES?

I just can't right now. I can't. The US is a fucking failure.
Trump did better wth hispanicsand AAs seems like. It's a tko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom