• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popped open the vodka.

Tonight tells me that as a Mexican, I'm not gonna get anywhere. I already have a shit life. Tonight I learned that half the country hates people like me. A child of immigrants. I'm not the most stable person financially or mentally. Tonight sucks. I have a fucking mexican friend who denies what he is, and thinks he's white. I fucking hate him right now. He's probably happy that Trump won. Fucking Jarhead.

Half the country hates people like me. That is what tonight is telling me. Fuck your 'But I'm conservative for economic reasons'. Fuck Republicans tonight. They elected a hatemonger. They elected someone who is working with a party of obstruction.

Where do we go from now? I don't fucking know. I just don't fucking know. I don't have alot of options. I will never have alot of options that alot of white people do. I'm stuck here in the pits. Hillary being elected gave me hope that hey, this country wasn't going to shit. But it being this close fucking wrecks me.

I don't know. I just want to sell everything I have and bail out of this country. I just don't fucking know.

Keep your head up high bro you will be alright its going to be shit but get through it. This is coming from a first generation, you will make it.

Posting this from the Election OT, but Trump looks really down about winning.
7WB763p.jpg

Phased

Poll data was wrong. Completely wrong.

So how the fuck can any of us place any importance in favorability ratings?

Barack's favorables mean nothing. Michelle's favorables mean nothing. The most hated candidate in polling history won tonight, resoundingly.

Barack's favoribility rating is good for Barack, it didn't do shit for Clinton. She turned out to be far more unpopular than any of us gave credit to I think.

I don't think Trump won, I think Clinton lost. It sucks saying that since I backed her since the primary's, but it really feels like a lot of people were voting against her more than anything else.

Angry Fork

Warren and Bernie are both great candidates but Bernie will likely be too old and disinterested by then. Warren is kind of old also but she looks youthful and she'll be the same age as Bernie was this year so it's not that crazy.

She can work if she's just as fiery on the pulpit as she is on c-span and also if liberals stop being pussies. It's true that people who think Clinton lost because of sexism will say no but we can ignore their dumb shit.

Cory Booker and similar pro-corporate/wall street types need to be thrown out of the party if it wants to win something back. If these guys are the future of the party the dems are fucked.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It will keep his popularity really low and I doubt he'll be able to do what he wants effectively. What we can hope for is midterms. I think a lot of people might regret their decision. Either way it is crazy that turnout is lower than last election.
We can't count on the midterms. GOP has control of government and has no shame about voter suppression. Expect ID laws. Expect unrestricted closing of polling places and onerous regulations. Expect gerrymandering. Expect a Democrat victory in either Congress or possibly the Presidency to be impossible

Finalizer

Unless I'm missing something, at least a sliver of good news for my fellow NC buddies. Roy Cooper looks to have taken NC Governor by less than 0.1% of the vote. He actually managed to survive the deplorable tidal wave, which at this point is really fucking impressive.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Were the polls wrong?

High numbers of undecided remained in most polls. We all assumed they would vote Clinton.

The problem was the aggregators don't factor in undecideds so much.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It will keep his popularity really low and I doubt he'll be able to do what he wants effectively. What we can hope for is midterms. I think a lot of people might regret their decision. Either way it is crazy that turnout is lower than last election.
We can't count on the midterms. GOP has control of government and has no shame about voter suppression. Expect ID laws. Expect unrestricted closing of polling places and onerous regulations. Expect gerrymandering. Expect a Democrat victory in either Congress or possibly the Presidency to be impossible

This is fucking catastrophic

Hillary Clinton won every Democrat county by bigger margins in Florida than Obama did in 2012.

In rural counties, she mostly matched or got close to his totals.

Trump's rural numbers were MASSIVE beyond anyone's expectations.

These are clearly unreliable voters. How do you explain them except racism/sexism?

Angry Fork

Posting this from the Election OT, but Trump looks really down about winning.

I always felt it was an elaborate self promotional scam and he really doesn't give a shit. I consider him more of an opportunist con-man than a legit fascist monster (although some of his supporters are). Ted Cruz would've been infinitely worse than Trump because he's the real deal. Trump must be thinking wtf do I do now I haven't read a book in years.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm so worried about my fellow minorities. The normalization of hatered against us is terrifying.

The big thing that I think a lot of people still fail to grasp here is this:

There are a LOT OF PEOPLE who literally do not think minorities and women have any problems. They think there is no racism, no homophobia (didn't Will and Grace solve that?), no anti-immigrant sentiment, no widespread misogyny.

They live in a white culture bubble and literally think all these things are made up by people trying to get attention for themselves.

So sure. Sure when they say "how dare you call me a racist for supporting Donald Trump! You're the bigot for seeing race in everything!" they are in their way being sincere. Let's give them that. Let's say they don't think bigotry against minorities has anything to do with anything.

But their sheer ignorance, their galaxy-spanning obliviousness to the harsh reality of America, acts as carte blanche to those with purposeful animosity. That is the massive cultural damage that can come from something like this. The oblivious have their limited vision of America reaffirmed, and in doing so, ironically help to create a safe space for bigots, racists, neo-nazis, and everyone of their ilk. The oblivious will continue to elect politicians that purposefully aim to engineer society in the service of white supremacy and American nationalism.

It's why the KKK and literal nazis were jumping for joy at Trump. They knew what this meant. Their chance to make their formerly unlikely dreams come true and move into mainstream spaces denied them, under the aegis of people who literally refuse to believe they exist and that racism is real.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hillary Clinton won every Democrat county by bigger margins in Florida than Obama did in 2012.

These are clearly unreliable voters. How do you explain them except racism/sexism?

You don't.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

People have been through this so many times. If racism was all it needed, why didn't Gingrich win? Why didn't Buchanan? Why has it taken 50 years to work out all you need to do is be racist? If that was the magic key, it would have been done long before this. These people have turned to racism and hatred as a solution to their problems - problems Democrats refused to address. That's the explanation.

Kusagari

So, like really, how can we trust those Obama favorables at this point?

These rural whites aren't getting picked up in those polls either.

I always felt it was an elaborate self promotional scam and he really doesn't give a shit. I consider him more of an opportunist con-man than a legit fascist monster (although some of his supporters are). Ted Cruz would've been infinitely worse than Trump because he's the real deal. Trump must be thinking wtf do I do now I haven't read a book in years.

Cruz is awful but I would take him over Trump any day. He can at least compose him fucking self.

Diablos

This foreign policy guy on NBC is so fucking pissed

This is just a fucking catastrophe for foreign policy
This is a catastrophe for EVERYTHING.
Literally everything that you can do to help, defend and/or improve the nation and the world with the Presidency of the United States.

thebloo

It doesn't matter. This will be the story from now on. Hillary lost it because she was a bad candidate.

30 fucking years of fight and she was brought down by Trump. I still can't process this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom