• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
And who would be realistically left for the Dems?

Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, and Corey Booker come to mind immediately, and maybe some unrecognized talent could become known through the process.

They cleared the way for hillary this year, and that never made sense to me. If she has to be protected in the primary, no way she's survives the general.

Maxandoldstuffedbear_zps822998e6.gif

I feel so fucking broken right now

Anyone would feel broken knowing that such hatred has been elevated by so many damn people.

It will be impossible to go out in the street and to look at other people. Half the country..no, more than half the country hates you if you're a minority of any sort. Half the country hates the fact that women have rights over their bodies.

They just needed someone to say it loud and clear. Republicans didn't need to dog whistle, they just needed to shout it from the top of their lungs in order to get those people out to vote. Dog whistling was probably too silent before. Now?

Now it's a fucking disaster.

MoxManiac

The only solace i can get from this disaster is that the minimum wage hike in maine was passed and it's looking good for ranked choice voting and weed legalization

Toxi

Banned
Good luck finding the right candidate. They have Obama and no one else. Dems really fucked up finding good candidates who can win in competitive races over the years.
We just saw the nation elect a tax-evading alleged rapist and you think the Dems lost because the candidate wasn't good enough?

No they don't. You may, but people don't. People like to think they have the answers and that it all comes down to getting someone who agrees with them. No one wants expertise or nuance.

Yeah, honestly you're right.

All it took was one look at Facebook to realize you're right. :\

I'm depressed.

I have a 2.5 year old daughter.

I woke up this morning and thought how cool it's gonna be for her first memories of a president to be that of a woman.

I have a baby boy due in Feb.

I'm genuinely frightened for the world they're going to live in.

I keep thinking things will be alright, that things will largely be the status quo.. then I think of the SC. Of minority rights. Of climate change / environmental protection.

Seriously, someone tell me things are going to be okay. :'(

shamanick

On the plus side it is the Democratic voters who will be angry as hell in 2018 looking to throw the bums out.

We should probably start to enjoy being the "we just want to fuck the establishment" party. Fixing things is not our problem any more.

it will be a pleasant surprise to see so many on our side.

We'll see what happens after the 2016 lie.

Finalizer

2010 was a really important election for the Republicans. It's finally paying off for them. They played an excessively long game. Elections have consequences, and too many Dem leaning voters sat out in 2010 and 2014.

Most republicans were just as surprised as we are of Trump's victory. If anything, I see this emboldening right-wing hopefuls going for lower-level seats to run on far more extremist campaigns and try to rally together the kind of base Trump gathered for the national election. I figure this will start pushing the GOP to a nationalist extreme that even the Tea Partiers couldn't foresee.

This election has justified racist, sexist, xenophobic, regressive candidates. Now we'll get to see how republican hopefuls adapt to this new playing field.

If the US pulls out of the Paris Treaty, we all suffer.

At a high level:

US pulls out of the Paris Treaty
US pulls out of NATO
US fucks over trade partners
Invade foreign countries
Annex Canada for its oil and land
Bomb the shit out of anyone who tries to fuck with the US

Domestically:
Repeal Obamacare
Repeal Roe vs Wade
Repeal gay marriage
Ban muslims
Deport 11 million people
Repeal the 14th amendment
Rewrite the 1st amendment, remove freedom of religion

Like I said before though, I will sleep just fine...nothing I can do about it.

thebloo

Kander lost his race who are you kidding

Sherrod Brown, Mark Dayton and Al Franken are both white-ass white dudes who are from the Midwest, I don't know who else we have left

In all the chaos, I didn't even follow his race...

Franken is too goofy. But what the fuck do I know anymore.

Phased

Kander lost his race who are you kidding

Sherrod Brown, Mark Dayton and Al Franken are both white-ass white dudes who are from the Midwest, I don't know who else we have left

I'd love to see Franken, but I'm not sure how the Jewish thing would play out. I'd like to believe it wouldn't matter for a Dem, but who honestly knows.

shiba5

Thanks, I need one. At least I'm living in a blue state, am white and married to a white guy who makes good money. Life probably won't change much for me, but I'm really really sad for everyone else. I sometimes wish I had way less empathy because this really hurts.

Kander is way too good to not hold some kind of position/office but I can't imagine it being in Missouri. Though considering the results tonight I'm not going to say anything about experience required for 2020.

linkboy

The only solace i can get from this disaster is that the minimum wage hike in maine was passed and it's looking good for ranked choice voting and weed legalization

Those laws are only "legal" because the DoJ isn't enforcing it. That could very easily change under Trump (and probably will).

Ecotic

Comey handed Trump the Presidency. If she had just 2 of the points she lost from that back, she'd had won.

That's both an excuse and accurate.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting how in both 2014 and 2016, ballot measures keep getting fairly liberal results, but liberal candidates don't get the same love.

Trouble

Banned
We just saw the nation elect a tax-evading alleged rapist and you think the Dems lost because the candidate wasn't good enough?

Yeah. I keep starting to say to myself that I wish Biden had run, but I'm not convinced the outcome would have been any different.

when we're facing crisis after crisis and scandal after scandal, i hope people remember e-mails scared the crap out of them.

when rights are being taken away and people are being marginalized on the color of their skin, i hope people still feel good about their protest vote and write-ins.

exactly. Idiotic delusional protest votes cost the dems again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom