• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

All of this stuff is happening and he's not even sworn in yet.

It's all just so crushing. I can't believe Obama's Presidency ends this way.

Wilsongt

Can someone catch me up here? I took a few days off from reading poligaf because crippling depression and paralyzing anxiety. noticed he was gone but never heard why. i just always assumed his job was to run interference on GAF for her, which is fine. so what happened?

Adam and his mother put their hearts and souls into canvassing and phone banking for Clinton.

He left most likely to get married to his fiance and enjoy his life with him and the children before something happened.

pigeon

Banned
Can someone catch me up here? I took a few days off from reading poligaf because crippling depression and paralyzing anxiety. noticed he was gone but never heard why. i just always assumed his job was to run interference on GAF for her, which is fine. so what happened?

Run interference for who?

Did you actually think Adam was a paid shill?

Totakeke

Czfym_vXgAMupPn.jpg:large

13 out of... 52? Fully one quarter of the GOP now supports an investigation.

Dissension in the ranks, both between Republican Senators, the Senators and the PEOTUS.

This is how the end begins? :p

This is good. I was curious how Rubio would react since Obama went hard on him.

Saying it like it is:

Party power over national security. If democrats were smart, this would be their mantra for the next two years.

The problem is that we lost the opportunity to legitimize the message because Obama didn't want to seem partisan by making Russian interference publicly official. Now Trump can freely castigate our national intelligence apparatus as the partisan actor and the issue becomes yet another "both sides say the opposite, you decide what's true, opinion is drawn by party line" issue. And this is before Trump takes office and starts making 'official' government declarations about the validity and truth of the whole thing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
All of this stuff is happening and he's not even sworn in yet.

It's all just so crushing. I can't believe Obama's Presidency ends this way.
Our country set fire to itself and fought off the firefighters. This is going to be insane.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MSN said:
At least one in four U.S. adults could be uninsurable due to a pre-existing condition in the wake of a repeal of the Affordable Care Act, according to an estimate by the nonprofit Kaiser Family Foundation released Monday.

Those adults, or about 52 million people, have a current or past diagnosis that could allow health insurers to refuse them health coverage, the Kaiser analysis found.
Most adults get health insurance through their employer or public programs and are thus shielded from this aspect of the health insurance industry. But others, including self-employed people, lower-wage workers, early retirees and those in need of coverage in-between life changes, seek coverage on the individual insurance market.
The “vast majority” of that 52 million population is covered through their employer or public programs, according to the Kaiser report. But if any of those people lost insurance because of unemployment, divorce, turning 26 or another reason, their pre-existing condition would become an even bigger problem.

Oh yeah, this sounds like a fantastic idea. Please proceed, GOP.

Paul Ryan backs investigation. Another Sen. Cory Gardner also said that he also supports the investigation.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...stigation-shuns-doubts-of-elections-integrity
Speaker Paul Ryan backs an investigation into possible Russian influence on the U.S. election, his spokesman said Monday, as the Wisconsin Republican continued to focus on the integrity of the vote.

“[E]xploiting the work of our intelligence community for partisan purposes does a grave disservice to those professionals and potentially jeopardizes our national security,” wrote Ryan in his first wide-release statement since The Washington Post reported on Friday that the CIA determined Russia’s goal in releasing emails hacked from Democrats was to hand the election to Trump.

“As we work to protect our democracy from foreign influence, we should not cast doubt on the clear and decisive outcome of this election,” Ryan said.

A representative for Ryan expressed a similar sentiment in an email to The Hill over the weekend, also saying the Speaker “rejects any politicization of intelligence matters."

Ryan’s statement did not directly address an investigation. Instead, he expressed support for Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) and the work of the House Select Committee on Intelligence, which Nunes chairs.

Ryan’s spokesman, Brendan Buck, was asked on Twitter whether that means Ryan will support formal hearings on Russia.

“[Y]es, goodness, but also that this work has already been taking place. Folks should stop acting like [the Intelligence Committee] has ignored this,” replied Buck.

WH spokesperson also pretty much said that Trump was help by Russian hacking.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/309999-wh-no-doubt-trump-benefitted-from-russian-hacking

President Obama’s top spokesman went on the attack Monday against President-elect Donald Trump and his allies over allegations the Russian government interfered in the election to boost his candidacy.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said there’s no denying Trump benefitted from Russian hacking of political organizations during the campaign season.

“You didn’t need a security clearance to figure out who benefited from malicious Russian cyber activity,” Earnest said during the daily press briefing.

“The president-elect didn’t call it into question," he continued. "He certainly had a pretty good sense of whose side this activity was coming down on.”

Earnest rattled off a long list of reported ties between Trump’s team and Russia, suggesting that members of Congress and the public knew of those connections before the election.

The spokesman also threw the White House’s support behind a congressional effort to investigate the claims, which came to light last Friday in a Washington Post report.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ryan Paul backs investigation. Another Sen. Cory Gardner also said that he also supports the investigation.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...stigation-shuns-doubts-of-elections-integrity
Ryan’s spokesman, Brendan Buck, was asked on Twitter whether that means Ryan will support formal hearings on Russia.

“[Y]es, goodness, but also that this work has already been taking place. Folks should stop acting like [the Intelligence Committee] has ignored this,” replied Buck.
It's a fair question when your party's leadership has actively tried to keep the public from hearing about these inquiries.

Allard

I mean what would they even do if an investigation turned up anything incriminating? Impeach Trump? Hold new elections?

They can't hold new elections unless they actually do so legislatively, there is nothing in the constitution that leads to a new election beyond the one that will happen in 4 years. It simply means we will go through a cycle of leadership going by the next in line. Electors give Trump presidency, he is president, he is impeached and is subsequently removed via the senate after hearings, its President Pence. Pence is removed, its President Paul Ryan, and on down the line. If Trump is not elected via electors, and there is no 270 consensus than the house elects someone who is on a ticket that has at least one electoral vote. There is no redo no matter what comes out of these investigations.

"Sure I support hearings" usually means "I'm covering my ass and already know what the findings will be" in DC. I don't think this is going anywhere, and ultimately let's be real: Trump won, it's not like voting machines were hacked or people were forced to vote for Trump. I'm not sure I see any actionable endgame here that changes anything. 19 agencies were saying Russia was hacking Clinton/DNC before the election, and voters still chose Trump.

What would the smoking gun be, that explosively changes everything?

pigeon

Banned
"Sure I support hearings" usually means "I'm covering my ass and already know what the findings will be" in DC. I don't think this is going anywhere, and ultimately let's be real: Trump won, it's not like voting machines were hacked or people were forced to vote for Trump. I'm not sure I see any actionable endgame here that changes anything. 19 agencies were saying Russia was hacking Clinton/DNC before the election, and voters still chose Trump.

If a member of Trump's campaign knew at the time that Russia was hacking Democrats to elect him, and denied it (which they've done), that's Watergate.

There is already evidence that Roger Stone knew about the Podesta emails being released in advance of it happening.

Hard evidence of collusion and cooperation between Russia and the Trump campaign, I suppose.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

The smoking gun is the real question, but I'm pretty sure we already know about it. And it starts somewhere between Comey and McConnell.

If a member of Trump's campaign knew at the time that Russia was hacking Democrats to elect him, and denied it (which they've done), that's Watergate.

There is already evidence that Roger Stone knew about the Podesta emails being released in advance of it happening.

Also, this.

1. Trump campaign colluding with Russia = Watergate
2. McConnell preventing a bipartisan statement before election = Watergate
3. Comey knowing about hacking and the above before putting out the 2nd letter = Watergate

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
@SenSanders

60,000 factories in the U.S. have shut down in the last 15 years. Many who lost their manufacturing jobs now earn 60% of what they used to.

A great nation can't simply import the products it uses. We need to re-industrialize America and create millions of good paying paying jobs.

What on earth is he talking about? This is exactly what I mean when I say that I wish Bernie would lean more into full post-industrial aggressive redistribution and people say I'm crazy but no it actually looks like his play is still actually the same "globalism bad, need to bring back industry" nonsense

What on earth is he talking about? This is exactly what I mean when I say that I wish Bernie would lean more into full post-industrial aggressive redistribution and people say I'm crazy but no it actually looks like his play is still actually the same "globalism bad, need to bring back industry" nonsense

Bernie is stuck in the 50's.

Oh god Bernie please shut up. The US manufactures more in raw terms than it ever has.

This is why I never supported him in the primaries. His mercantilist tendencies are just as strong as Trump's. They just draw different conclusions.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The white house twitch stream live right now only has 8000 viewers? So much for private citizen Obama twitch streams. :p

It'll always be weird to me whenever an non-gaming marketer starts a Twitch stream, but the white house doing it for the ACA advertising is the weirdest of all.

Equally weird is seeing all these streamers actually dressed up like they give a damn for once. They didn't even have to do the thing where they have to throw a random coat and tie over their nerd shirt to make them seem somewhat professional.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Yep, we badly need someone who can push a post-automation message. It's not fucking Bernie Sanders obviously.

Wilsongt

Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) confirmed to BuzzFeed last week that he plans to reintroduce the First Amendment Defense Act (FADA) next term, optimistic that President Donald Trump will follow through on his pledge to sign it. It’s the latest evidence that Trump’s election portends setbacks for LGBT equality.

FADA is a bill (HR 2802) that would create a special status of protection exclusively for individuals who oppose same-sex marriage or premarital sex. The federal government would be prohibited from taking any “discriminatory action” against them, including denying tax exemptions, withholding grants or contracts, or denying any federal benefit. In other words, it would require the federal government to prop up anti-gay (and anti-sex) discrimination.

Oh boy! Back to second class citizens we go! How long before being LGBT is considered an illness again? Before we no longer have the rights to visit spouses/loved ones in the hospital?

I could see anti-human rights GOP members try to do something about gay marriage again/

I'm happy it doesn't seem like Heitkamp is interested in a secretary position anymore/is out of the running. It could help her that she even was considered for 2018.

Manchin continues to be a douche.

If Its so bad for him to peddle out these ideas maybe we shouldn't run on anti trade agendas only to flip around and pass trade deals and talk about how manufacturing and those types of jobs are never coming back

If we aren't willing to stand by free trade principals during elections then I'm not sure what the point is in railing against Bernie for doing the same thing other Dems do

John Kasich was the only person to actually try and argue for Free Trade this entire election.

Oh boy! Back to second class citizens we go! How long before being LGBT is considered an illness again? Before we no longer have the rights to visit spouses/loved ones in the hospital?

I could see anti-human rights GOP members try to do something about gay marriage again/

"Premarital sex" too? Oh it's just against anyone they don't like, freedom to discriminate coming back!

I did have a moment when I wondered who the heck Ryan Paul was

Ops forgot to change that when I was typing.

I think he is referring to the lost jobs when the factories close down or just using the typical narrative that the US isn't manufacturing anymore. I don't get these old people keep harping on those lost manufacturing jobs. They are losing those jobs because of capitalism plain and simple. Cheaper to use automation or in some cases labor from other countries. Unless they have a plan to deal with automation and prevent companies from manufacturing in other countries, it is just talk.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If any of this is true then maybe we shouldn't run on anti trade agendas only to flip around and pass trade deals and talk about how manufacturing and those types of jobs are never coming back

If we aren't willing to stand by free trade principals during elections then I'm not sure what the point is in railing against Bernie for doing the same thing other Dems do

John Kasich was the only person to actually try and argue for Free Trade this entire election.

The problem is no one wants to hear they're going to be replaced by a machine in 10 years. You can't do anything about that, who are you going to fight? Railing against free trade isn't really railing against free trade, at least in the way Trump does it, it's about giving people someone to hate.

The problem is no one wants to hear they're going to be replaced by a machine in 10 years. You can't do anything about that, who are you going to fight? Railing against free trade isn't really railing against free trade, at least in the way Trump does it, it's about giving people someone to hate.

This. Either you peddle the lie that these people are actually skilled enough to participate in the workforce (which they aren't), or you tell them the truth and offer plans to fix their lack of skills.

I'm not comfortable with theformer at all. Any discussion on this issue should start from the latter, and then discuss options from there. But telling people that manufacturing is still a viable career path is just immoral.

Preventative politics fails for the same reason preventative medicine often does. Our cultural psychology does not respond well to being told what to do (or what needs to happen).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom