• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This. Either you peddle the lie that these people are actually skilled enough to participate in the workforce (which they aren't), or you tell them the truth and offer plans to fix their lack of skills.

I'm not comfortable with theformer at all. Any discussion on this issue should start from the latter, and then discuss options from there. But telling people that manufacturing is still a viable career path is just immoral.

Right, this is exactly the problem I see

I'm happy it doesn't seem like Heitkamp is interested in a secretary position anymore/is out of the running. It could help her that she even was considered for 2018.

Manchin continues to be a douche.
Byron Dorgan (former senator from ND) said that Heitkamp has a 70% approval rating.

http://kticradio.com/agricultural/e...-secretary-but-n-d-democrats-think-otherwise/

Wonder if that's something they're actually seeing in internals or if he just pulled a number out of his ass.

Also not going to read too much into it because there are plenty of recent examples of red state Democrats going down with good approvals. Landrieu, Pryor, Bayh, Feingold (UGGGGGH)

Wilsongt

giphy.gif

PoliGAF running away from this nightmare timeline.

avaya

This. Either you peddle the lie that these people are actually skilled enough to participate in the workforce (which they aren't), or you tell them the truth and offer plans to fix their lack of skills.

I'm not comfortable with theformer at all. Any discussion on this issue should start from the latter, and then discuss options from there. But telling people that manufacturing is still a viable career path is just immoral.

What about the real real truth. For the majority of them you will not be able to fix their skills. They will have no further place in the economy. They will only be able to survive on government income. There is no running away from that.

Sell that one. The message is, you are dead weight to the economy. I mean we all know this to be true.

So you're gonna have to lie to them and wait till they die :(

Byron Dorgan (former senator from ND) said that Heitkamp has a 70% approval rating.

http://kticradio.com/agricultural/e...-secretary-but-n-d-democrats-think-otherwise/

Wonder if that's something they're actually seeing in internals or if he just pulled a number out of his ass.

Also not going to read too much into it because there are plenty of recent examples of red state Democrats going down with good approvals. Landrieu, Pryor, Bayh, Feingold (UGGGGGH)

Side note: while reading this post I thought of Blanche Lincoln, and thus lost The Game. Thanks a lot.

Tall4Life

You know, what if Trump is saying all of this to ENCOURAGE faithless electors against him?

He was the hero all along.

release me from this nightmare

Side note: while reading this post I thought of Blanche Lincoln, and thus lost The Game. Thanks a lot.
Lincoln was such a moron. She probably would have lost no matter what she did but her entire mo in her last year as senator seemed to just be piss off everyone you possibly can.

I don't really have an issue with centrist Democrats - it's a necessity in some places - but when they're elected as explicit partisans (note: this doesn't necessarily mean conservative) and then tack right when it becomes clear the tides have changed, it's like come on. No one's Bayhing it.

Heitkamp and Manchin are a pain in the ass but it's not like they're going back on anything they campaigned on. Didn't Manchin run an ad in 2010 where he shot Obama's proposed cap and trade bill?

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

The final Wisconsin vote is in and guess what - we just picked up an additional 131 votes. The Dems and Green Party can now rest. Scam!
6:40 PM · Dec 12, 2016

This is now how you unite a country you sorry excuse for a lump of cells.

I usually avoid making overtly hyperbolic statements or predictions. But I feel I'm ready to make one now:

Trump will be impeached either before or shortly after the 2018 midterms.

I've been observing the last few days how certain Republican Senators refuse to go down the rabbit hole with Trump. There are still some GOP Senators that have a line in a sand on certain issues and won't carry Trump's water for every wild theory or misinformation he blurts out. The demands for an investigation on Russian hacking is evidence of this already.

The key thing for Trump will be to keep his approval rating up. As long as Trump's approval ratings are high, GOP lawmakers who are fed up with Trump may just try to sidestep him instead of having direct confrontations and investigations. But if Trump's approval rating dips below 40%, I could see establishment Republicans turning on him in mass if Trump goes completely unhinged lashing out at everything and ignoring essential facts that could affect national security.

After all, if they impeach Trump it's not like they would be handing the keys to Democrats. Mike Pence would be running things who is a standard GOP politician. Sure many people here hate Pence, but apart from some social issues he lives in the world of reality. He respects most norms and actually has some shame. The way he handled the Hamilton dustup is about how you'd expect a normal politician to handle it.

So I could see GOP making Pence the official President and removing Trump before he causes serious damage to the party and country. There's been no signs that Trump is going to make a "Presidential Pivot". He is who is. And who is, is going to lead him into some very hot water. If he's lucky maybe he'll be able to ride it out, but you're starting to see that there are several GOP senators who are becoming scared sh*tless that Trump could be a pawn of Putin and that Trump's erratic behavior could create an international incident that would be on a Republican watch.

Considering how the world is rapidly becoming unstable with many challenging situations, I put the chance of Trump's impeachment at 75% by 2018. We already have China doing a nuclear bomber flyover several islands as a warning to Trump and he's not even in office yet...

studyguy

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

The final Wisconsin vote is in and guess what - we just picked up an additional 131 votes. The Dems and Green Party can now rest. Scam!
6:40 PM · Dec 12, 2016

This is now how you unite a country you sorry excuse for a lump of cells.

Sad

Trump's approval ratings are already underwater, no?

It's been remarkably consistent since he jumped in the race, with minor fluctuations based on things like the Access Hollywood video. He's always had a ceiling in the mid-40s and I'm not sure how it gets any better.

I've read it's high 40s/low 50s now, but this is the honeymoon period when we could reasonably expect something in the 60s like basically every other president

They're going up for some strange reason
In some polls, but Pew has him well underwater.

The extent to which Trump is getting a rally is people who has reservations and voted for him anyway, now wanting to give him a chance. If Trump does something catastrophically stupid (okay, when) they probably turn on a dime.

Obama had like 80% approval upon coming into office. Trump will not have that same good will.

They're still pretty terrible. He's about 30 points behind other presidents-elect right now, and still underwater on average.
Like I said, any movement is coming from Trump's voters being more open about their support due to his victory validating them.

I don't need to remind anyone Trump's voters are a rather significant minority. 54% voted against him.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 1m1 minute ago
I will be making my announcement on the next Secretary of State tomorrow morning.

Can't wait to see which disaster of a pick he decided to go with...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said, any movement is coming from Trump's voters being more open about their support due to his victory validating them.

I don't need to remind anyone Trump's voters are a rather significant minority. 54% voted against him.

I'm sure there are plenty of optimistic Hillary voters that want to give him a chance now that's he's president. Emotionally I'm a little like that myself, wanting to put all the things I was worried about preelection in the past and just hope I was wrong.

He'll probably be the second president to come in with lower approval than their predicessor, first of which being Bush Jr., who also lost the popular vote.

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 1m1 minute ago
I will be making my announcement on the next Secretary of State tomorrow morning.

Can't wait to see which disaster of a pick he decided to go with...

Trying to build up hype like he is still on the apprentice. Makes you want to bet how many commercials he is going to run about the annual state the union address

Trying to build up hype like he is still on the apprentice. Makes you want to bet how many commercials he is going to run about the annual state the union address

You're totally right. He's been treating everything about the campaign and post election like it's a reality show.

Edit: Also it seems like the FBI is now on board with the RNC also being hacked presumably by Russia.

Melinda Byerley Verified account
‏@MJB_SF
BREAKING: FBI confirms RNC Breached, still not a lot of answers.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is the stock dumping before the tweet true / confirmable? It's easy to put some red text on shit and make it look compelling.

Also is there no way to find out who a seller is of that magnitude? like just to see if it's a buddy?

Wilsongt

You're totally right. He's been treating everything about the campaign and post election like it's a reality show.

Edit: Also it seems like the FBI is now on board with the RNC also being hacked presumably by Russia.

‏@MJB_SF

Your zero-hour shenanigans aren't going to fucking work this time, Comey. You already ruined everything.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

‏@MJB_SF

If true, Priebus on record saying it wasn't true, now appears like an even bigger liar.

Not seeing it reported anywhere, though.

Crocodile

Hayes: "Sanders, what do you think about political correctness?"

Sanders: "Republicans and some Democrats were selling Free Trade as a good thing, shame on them I say"

Hayes (asking the audience): "How many people think of free trade when they think of PC culture?"

*crickets*

Hayes (asking the audience): "How many people think of what you can/can't say about minority groups when they think of PC culture?"

*everybody raises their hands*

My lord, that might have been the worst answer regarding PCness I've ever seen. I'm super glad Sanders and Hayes are doing this town hall but already it kind of reminded me why I didn't vote for him in the primary :(

To be fair though, they are in Wisconsin

Also, no this isn't an invitation to relitigate the primary :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom