• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

tsu3N1v.jpg

Time to change that to a donkey. Hopefully we can grab some governorships in 2018, or else the GOP will be passing some shitty ass amendments.

Diablos

Time to change that to a donkey. Hopefully we can grab some governorships in 2018, or else the GOP will be passing some shitty ass amendments.
How many more states do we have to lose before amnedments can pass? I already forgot probably due to the pure terror associated with fully realizing how perilously close we are to becoming a theocracy

Wilsongt

How many more states do we have to lose before amnedments can pass? I already forgot probably due to the pure terror associated with fully realizing how perilously close we are to becoming a theocracy

GOP needs to grab 7 more states to have 3/4ths of the country.

If the CT GOP offers up a Mittens or Charlie Baker I can't guarantee I won't ticket split. It's how much I hate this man. He's destroying the image of the Democratic Party here. If this keeps up I can honestly see CT being a Michigan/Wisconsin in 2020

But we'll get Shane McMahon and I'll stab myself in the neck with the pen in the voting both

Clinton won CT by 14%.. which is down from 18% in 2012, but still so high that CT is not in any danger of "being a Michigan/Wisconsin in 2020"

Alaska, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Montana, and West Virginia.

Boom.

GOP can now ratify constitutional amendments.

GOP already has Missouri (for 4 years at least - don't see Greitens being all that popular)

Kaiterra

Banned
Malloy went on a tangent against legalizing weed today, saying Massachusetts and Colorado made a mistake and wouldn't pass it again if they could do it over again. And that raising tax money off of it is unethical

Hey idiot maybe if we did that here you wouldn't have had to slash the budgets of hospitals and healthcare.

Fucking idiot. If we don't get someone to primary challenge him in 2018 GOP picks up another mansion.

This is so stupid, not just from a revenue standpoint but also on a strategic level, because there's just a ridiculous amount of untapped popular support to be gained in elections by embracing legalization, right? I could be overstating it but I'm pretty sure it's true. I just hope the GOP doesn't collectively seize on it first.

Wilsongt

Clinton won CT by 14%.. which is down from 18% in 2012, but still so high that CT is not in any danger of "being a Michigan/Wisconsin in 2020"

GOP already has Missouri (for 4 years at least - don't see Greitens being all that popular)

Wikipedia hasn't updated for the incoming governors. My mistake.

Diablos

Alaska, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Montana, and West Virginia.

Boom.

Don't they need a number of seats in their legislatures too?

And honestly I can see all of those states going Republican.. MN is our last hope.
Fucking hell...

Wilsongt

When it comes to the EC...

Has anyone done the math for splitting up EC votes based on precentage of votes gotten in each state? Kind of like some primary states?

Where, say, in CA, Hillary got a certain percentage, she would get a certain percentage of EC votes, and Trump would get a certain %.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is so stupid, not just from a revenue standpoint but also on a strategic level, because there's just a ridiculous amount of untapped popular support to be gained in elections by embracing legalization, right? I could be overstating it but I'm pretty sure it's true. I just hope the GOP doesn't collectively seize on it first.

You're probably overstating it by quite a lot to tell the truth.

hahahahaha

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/u...ch-mcconnell-trump-cabinet.html?_r=0&referer=

WASHINGTON — The courtship of Ryan Zinke began months before the end of the presidential race. A Republican congressman from Montana and a former Navy SEAL commander, Mr. Zinke was approached over the summer by Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, about running for the Senate in 2018.

To Mr. McConnell, Mr. Zinke (pronounced ZIN-kee) was an ideal candidate to defeat Senator Jon Tester, a two-term Democrat, and bolster the Republicans’ slender majority.

Then President-elect Donald J. Trump intervened.

Mr. McConnell learned early this week that Mr. Trump had suddenly grown interested in Mr. Zinke to be secretary of the interior. Mr. McConnell quickly contacted both Vice President-elect Mike Pence and Reince Priebus, the incoming White House chief of staff, in an effort to quietly head off the appointment, according to multiple Republican officials familiar with the calls.

Mr. Trump was not moved. He was so taken with Mr. Zinke during their meeting Monday at Trump Tower that he offered him the position. Mr. Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. quashed a competing candidate, Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington State, because of her support for selling off public land, a senior Republican official said.

Mr. Trump’s defiant selection of Mr. Zinke, 55, dismayed Republicans in Washington and raised suspicions about how reliable an ally he will be for the party. Even as Mr. Trump has installed party stalwarts in a few cabinet departments, he has repeatedly shrugged off the requests of Republicans who have asked for help reinforcing their power in Congress.

The choice of Mr. Zinke, however, aggravated the party and vividly illustrated how Mr. Trump’s improvisational, often impulsive style can collide with the best-laid plans of congressional Republicans.

And it underscored the limitations of both traditional political imperatives and Mr. Trump’s establishment-aligned advisers against the combination of Mr. Trump’s instincts, the wishes of his family and the preference of Stephen K. Bannon, the senior adviser to the president-elect and an admirer of Mr. Zinke.

With just one appointment, Mr. Trump snubbed the highest-ranking Republican woman in the House, Ms. McMorris Rodgers, imperiled the party’s chances in a key Senate race and likely triggered a special election for Mr. Zinke’s House seat.

But Mr. Davis, along with a handful of other high-level Republican strategists, said Mr. Zinke had been undecided on entering the race and described the interior position as a tough job to turn down.

“He probably thinks he can do more for Montana and the country in that slot and he’s probably right,” Mr. Davis said, adding of the Senate race: “It would have been one of the biggest, toughest battles in the country and now I think Tester probably skates home free.”

Also L O L:

Ms. Heitkamp has not withdrawn her name from consideration yet, despite not being picked for the two posts she had been seeking, Energy and Interior. Some of Mr. Trump’s advisers are still optimistic that she can be convinced to become secretary of agriculture, one of the few cabinet secretariats yet to be filled.

But Byron Dorgan, a former Democratic senator from North Dakota, among others, indicated she will not join.

And there is growing concern in Mr. Trump’s orbit that Ms. Heitkamp, much like Mr. Manchin, is enjoying the political benefit of being courted by a president-elect popular in her home state, but that she has no intention of joining the cabinet. Mr. Trump has started assessing other candidates for agriculture, including Gov. C.L. (Butch) Otter of Idaho.

I'm sure reducing the number of people voting for your candidate in the general election is a great formula for success.

Kicking out shills and brushing aside the corrupt after they've failed would probably increase turnout for both parties. We know just saying it gets folks excited. Imagine what would happen if you really drained the swamp...

In any event, I doubt there's many true hardcore New Democrat believers including donors as a part of that group. The rest of the public/base are followers. If Republicans and Democrats went back to the general beliefs they held back when America was great before they went crazy...then I'm sure the sheep would be happy. Living standards will be higher, things will be more equitable, and they'll have a perception that the country is on the right track vs. today.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He told Russia to "cut it out"...

In fairness, it does seem to have worked. The issue is more with how the hacks were dealt with in relation to the election, these leaks should have been made back in October. The media also has no excuse for not writing about the fact that Russia was trying to mess with our elections instead of acting like Russian stooges.

Kaiterra

Banned
In fairness, it does seem to have worked. The issue is more with how the hacks were dealt with in relation to the election, these leaks should have been made back in October. The media also has no excuse for not writing about the fact that Russia was trying to mess with our elections instead of acting like Russian stooges.

Seeing CNN panelists trying to defend that shit after the press conference really pissed me off.

Kaiterra

Banned
The Trump surrogates I imagine.

Nope, it was some of their regular analysts and whatnot. No surrogates on the panel I watched. It was basically like "Sure he had a point with some of the more salacious details I GUESS but this is our journalistic duty"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nope, it was some of their regular analysts and whatnot. No surrogates on the panel I watched. It was basically like "Sure he had a point with some of the more salacious details I GUESS but this is our journalistic duty"

Oh I swear to shit. There was nothing journalistic about writing about Podesta's risotto recipe or 99% of whatever else was written about. The real story when it came to those hacks was routinely ignored by pretty much everyone and it was the fact that these hacks were done by the Russians to disrupt our election process. That was the fucking big story and everyone failed to recognize it.

Boom.

There isn't really a logistic scenario where the GOP can ratify the Constitution (there's more to it than just having enough governors), so it's best not to jump on the crazy train and pretend there is just for the sake of being chicken littles.

Tarydax

Banned
Obama has always been more concerned with looking right than actually doing right. Always tried to play nice with the hyper-partisan "we oppose anything Obama supports" Republicans. Always kept looking for that "grand bargain" that would make history not because it was a good idea but because of how monumental it would be to the political class. Scattershot approach to the growing turbulence in the Middle East by trying to be engaged without actually doing anything. Tried to keep the profile of the white house neutral and distinct from the Democratic party, furthering the decay of Democratic strength in local/state races. Didn't force the issue with Garland being blocked forever. Downplayed Russian hacking as much as possible to avoid any appearance of electoral impropriety even if it came at the expense of national security.

And then he has the gall to very mildly complain in a press conference that the hacking "should not be a partisan issue"; god damn it Obama, the hacking became a partisan issue precisely because you refused to take a clear and aggressive public stand on it. If you don't set the narrative then you're implicitly accepting whichever one gets shaped by Trump and Republicans, lord knows the DNC can't message for shit if you're gonna leave them out to dry. Seriously, Obama holds a big press conference on the North Korea hack of Sony to announce new sanctions; for the Russians he had some lower level administration officials put out carefully worded letters and press releases.

Then we got Obama trying to pass off the responsibility of shaping public discourse on national security matters and cyber-warfare to the media? Dawg you're the fucking president, if the public didn't understand what was going on that's on you, not the media. You saw 8 years of bullshit equivalency reporting and the media circus surrounding Trump's primary process and you wanted to trust them to do your job in rallying the public? Christ...

Nobody should be surprised that the public discourse has become one where the Russians didn't attack the United States, they just attacked the Democratic Party. They just exposed the truth about corrupt Hillary, who cares if Putin was personally directing an act of warfare against us? Congratulations Obama, you've succeeded in making yourself so removed from the stain of politics that nobody cares what the President has to say anymore because the President never does have anything important to say. Hope moderate and short lived healthcare reform was worth it because I'm not sure what else will be positively remembered as opposed to being seen as a huge mistake playing into the hands of Republicans.

This is where I'm at with him right now.

Sigh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_gubernatorial_elections,_2018

Keep in mind that Republican will have to defend 24 governorships in 2018 while Democrats need to defend only 8. Of those 24 governors, 14 are term-limited and another is retiring. Aside from those, you also have some vulnerable incumbents like Bruce Rauner (IL). Add to that the tendency for midterms to go poorly for the president's party and it is far more likely that the Democrats gain governorships in 2018 than lose them (and they had better, since it could make a huge difference for redistricting).

There are also two elections in 2017. Democrats will be defending VA while Republicans will be defending NJ. Both are term-limited (but let's be honest, Christie couldn't get elected dog-catcher at this point anyway).

Boom.

NH and MO just elected GOP governors.

But MT and WV just elected Democrats. I'd really like to think we're not going to be that degree of fucked in the next 2-4 years. Midterms are usually bad for the presidential party after all.

Now I do say "usually" bad. We shouldn't expect everything to break our way, we need to work for it. Which is why I hope Perez or Ellison or whoever gets the DNC job takes it very seriously.

The Senate will be tough because of how stacked the next map is - sadly I would consider a net gain/loss of zero to be a win overall. If we picked up 2 I would be ecstatic, and even then we'd only be at 50/50 with Pence tiebreaking.

House, governorships and state legislature however I think we could make some really strong gains. Not expecting a House majority anytime soon, it'll mostly have to come from the state level.

Diablos

NH and MO just elected GOP governors.

But MT and WV just elected Democrats. I'd really like to think we're not going to be that degree of fucked in the next 2-4 years. Midterms are usually bad for the presidential party after all.

Now I do say "usually" bad. We shouldn't expect everything to break our way, we need to work for it. Which is why I hope Perez or Ellison or whoever gets the DNC job takes it very seriously.

The Senate will be tough because of how stacked the next map is - sadly I would consider a net gain/loss of zero to be a win overall. If we picked up 2 I would be ecstatic, and even then we'd only be at 50/50 with Pence tiebreaking.

House, governorships and state legislature however I think we could make some really strong gains. Not expecting a House majority anytime soon, it'll mostly have to come from the state level.
Right on time for Trump's SCOTUS to intervene

The Democratic Party and its policies died for at least a generation on Nov. 8. I wrestle with wondering if I should care or if I should just walk away

Fuck Twitter btw

Like I'm banking on the offchance that whoever shows up to the 2018 primary will check off whoever is not Malloy

I think I have a good chance with that in consideration

geomon

I wonder how many fuckers wrote in Bernie Sanders in PA, FL, WI, and MI?

In FL we'll never know because write ins aren't counted unless there's a recount and even then, the write in candidate has to be registered before the election as a potential candidate...so yeah.

Right on time for Trump's SCOTUS to intervene

The Democratic Party and its policies died for at least a generation on Nov. 8. I wrestle with wondering if I should care or if I should just walk away

Fuck Twitter btw
People said the Republicans had a permanent majority after 2004 and then that they were a regional party after 2008. Come on, fam.

mo60

If the CT GOP offers up a Mittens or Charlie Baker I can't guarantee I won't ticket split. It's how much I hate this man. He's destroying the image of the Democratic Party here. If this keeps up I can honestly see CT being a Michigan/Wisconsin in 2020

But we'll get Shane McMahon and I'll stab myself in the neck with the pen in the voting both

I don't see whoever the dem nominee is in 2020 doing signficantly worse than hilary did in CT.

Diablos

People said the Republicans had a permanent majority after 2004 and then that they were a regional party after 2008. Come on, fam.
SCOTUS is forever though. Well. It's for a long ass time.

Only other option would be to make the SCOTUS have 9 justices but that's not easy and Dems would need to win like FDR came back from the grave

SCOTUS is forever though. Well. It's for a long ass time.

Only other option would be to make the SCOTUS have 9 justices but that's not easy and Dems would need to win like FDR came back from the grave
Hold out hope then that Scalia's replacement is the only appointment Trump will get to make. That's the best we can do.

If Kennedy, Breyer and Ginsburg hang on for another four years, we can still swing the court if we win the next presidential election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom