• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
fwiw in my experience hunters are the conservatives thqt care the most about the environment, especially since hunting aside they just enjoy being out in nature. they vote R because they hate amnesty, acid, and abortion but public lands I think are popular with them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
fwiw in my experience hunters are the conservatives thqt care the most about the environment, especially since hunting aside they just enjoy being out in nature. they vote R because they hate amnesty, acid, and abortion but public lands I think are popular with them.
I think this is typically relegated to caring about what's local. Environmental concerns from across the country or world? Who cares, exploit away.

Our next president, folks.

cBflJdU.png

To be honest much of the Democratic party had been a mess for decades that were able to take advantage of multiple calamities during the George Bush era for gains.

To be honest much of the Democratic party had been a mess for decades that were able to take advantage of multiple calamities during the George Bush era for gains.

Yeah, that's why I'm perplexed by everyone blaming Obama for this.

Like, without Obama, I think the Dem's would have been out of power for a good two decades. They have been disorganized on the local side for a very long time.

Not really. They got utterly annihilated in 1994 and only did okay in 98 because Newt and company went too far.
I should point out that even while (barely) losing the presidency in 2000 Democrats were just four seats shy of the House majority and tied the Senate.

The 2010 wave was about equivalent to the 1994 wave, the only difference is timing. That it happened in 2010 really screwed Democrats over because they lost any say in redistricting in many critical states.

If there's any solace to be taken by Democrats post-Trump it's that they'll be the "out" party in the next midterm, giving them an advantage if things go significantly south under Trump. Ideal timeline (not that these ever shake out perfectly):

2018: Democrats flip several key governorships and state legislatures, giving them serious leverage over the next round of redistricting. Pick up 2 Senate seats to tie, double digit House seats (I'm not going to predict a House majority until it happens, honestly)

2020: Democrats win presidency, flip Senate, pick up/hold governorships and state legislatures wherever they can. Maybe build on House gains from 2018 for a full flip.

2022: Post-redistricting. Depending on where Dems gain in 2018, governorships could be rough, but elections held under new, fair maps (or even Dem gerrymanders in some cases) blunt any midterm damage in the House. Senate races would be a redux of 2016 which is bad for the GOP - states that were on the radar this year (PA, WI, FL, OH, AZ, NC) would certainly be competitive again. Not much room to make gains except NH, CO and NV.

Diablos

Ever the optimist, Aaron. The Dems are in such disarray right now that I can't see how they do that well. They can't even project confidence on selecting a new chair

The only certainty in politics is the impermanence of a party's power, especially with term limits on Presidents and Governors. You were all sure there would never be enough people in the GOP coalition to win again 2 months ago and now Democrats will go extinct. How about finding some kind of medium in the way you analyze these things?

Ever the optimist, Aaron. The Dems are in such disarray right now that I can't see how they do that well. They can't even project confidence on selecting a new chair

It hasn't even been two months since the election. It's too early to see things stabilize, even if/when they're going to.

I'm not making any sort of prediction, just laying out the best-case scenario and what our and the DNC's goal should be looking ahead.

I can't understate the unlikelihood of everything breaking our way in the elections ahead, but I would strongly urge you not to infer any long-term conclusions from this election alone. People said the GOP was done for after 2008, and then again after 2012. People said the Democrats were done after 2004, too. Trump hasn't even been sworn in.

Politics is cyclical - we've won before, we will win again. I will say I will not go into 2020 with any certainty about our nominee's chances, but overconfidence has bit me in the ass so many times that's probably for the best.

Funny thing is if you've ever read Angels in America, there's a scene where Roy Cohn is talking politics and declares that the Republicans have a lock on the White House for the rest of the millennium (this was shortly after Reagan was reelected). And then of course, Bill Clinton won twice. Four years is a long time. Eight is even longer.

the part in mgs where you
fight liquid on top of metal gear
sucks more ass than a trump presidency

oh, did you want this game to start wrapping it up? watch a ten minute cutscene and then have a shirtless fistfight with shitty collision detection and controls while a 2 minute nuclear timer ticks in the background

T6nG0yS.gif
= me right now

beat it, fuck that guy

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
China's state run newspaper has an editorial pushing for China to take Taiwan by force, because of Trump's actions.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1023753.shtml

Time will tell after Trump's team takes over the US, whether it will willfully utilize the one-China policy as leverage to blackmail Beijing or restrain itself in actual practice.

In any case, the current farce has made China vigilant.

It is possible for Washington to activate the Taiwan card in a crude manner at any moment. The tacit understanding and hidden rules made between China and the US over the Taiwan Straits can hardly be respected for long. Even the one-China policy can be attacked unexpectedly. That mirrors the fact that we are far from able to control the destructiveness of the Taiwan question.

The long-stalled puzzle over Taiwan has turned into a huge cost in China's rise and so far there is no sign that this cost will contract.

If the Chinese mainland won't pile on more pressure over realizing reunification by using force, the chance of peaceful unification will only slip away. Independent forces on the island publicly believe that time is on their side, because Taiwan people's recognition of their Chinese identity is gradually decreasing and against such a backdrop, they can turn the tables with the help of international forces.

It might be time for the Chinese mainland to reformulate its Taiwan policy, make the use of force as a main option and carefully prepare for it. Once Taiwan independence forces violate the Anti-Secession Law, the Chinese mainland can in no time punish them militarily. Moreover, getting ready to achieve reunification through the use of force can pose a serious deterrence to Taiwan independence.

The military status quo across the Taiwan Straits needs to be reshaped as a response and punishment to the current administration of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP)'s destruction of the political status quo in cross-Straits ties. And we should also foster forces which support reunification through a variety of ways on the island.

The future of Taiwan must not be shaped by the DPP and Washington, but by the Chinese mainland. It is hoped that peace in the Taiwan Straits won't be disrupted. But the Chinese mainland should display its resolution to recover Taiwan by force. Peace does not belong to cowards.

Still can't believe how quickly Trump's ego created an international crisis.

China's state run newspaper has an editorial pushing for China to take Taiwan by force, because of Trump's actions.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1023753.shtml

Still can't believe how quickly Trump's ego created an international crisis.

It's pretty crazy how this is happening. I was listening to an NPR interview with some Obama undersecretary to that region, and she basically repeated half a dozen times that the biggest loser in this phone-call gambit is going to be Taiwan. Looks like that's going to happen.

benjipwns

Banned
Guess we'll have to overthrow the illegitimate Communist government on the mainland and restore the Republic's claimed property to it.

Given all evidence about the Russian influence and the investigations looking into it currently, is there anyway we could do a re-election by 2018? I know there is no avoiding President Trump in 2017 and 2018, but hopefully we can get a re-election process started. I imagine there will be a lot of republicans will turn on Trump. Although Reince Priebus being on his cabinet will likely stop any dissent amongst republicans.

edit: Hypothetically if we want to war with China; it would likely cause WW3 right?

benjipwns

Banned
Given all evidence about the Russian influence and the investigations looking into it currently, is there anyway we could do a re-election by 2018? I know there is no avoiding President Trump in 2017 and 2018, but hopefully we can get a re-election process started.
How about 2020, will that fit in your schedule?

Teggy

I mean, I guess I know that is Trump, but that is one weird ass caricature. Looks like an ass with hair in the top one...which is understandable. Bottom one looks like a weird South Park Canadian.

Given all evidence about the Russian influence and the investigations looking into it currently, is there anyway we could do a re-election by 2018? I know there is no avoiding President Trump in 2017 and 2018, but hopefully we can get a re-election process started.

We don't exactly have a 2 year out-clause on the presidency. This isn't Wisconsin and we can't have a recall election. He can be declared unfit, he can be impeached in the House and subsequently convicted by the Senate, but voters don't get another bite at the apple for 4 years.

Pixieking

Banned
Given all evidence about the Russian influence and the investigations looking into it currently, is there anyway we could do a re-election by 2018? I know there is no avoiding President Trump in 2017 and 2018, but hopefully we can get a re-election process started. I imagine there will be a lot of republicans will turn on Trump. Although Reince Priebus being on his cabinet will likely stop any dissent amongst republicans.

edit: Hypothetically if we want to war with China; it would likely cause WW3 right?

It'd be nice to think that America, the country everyone thinks of (right or wrongly) when they think "democracy", would do something about electoral interference, no matter how small. But it likely won't. The lack of public or political pushback for Russia's actions shows that no-one cares. At the least, hard-liners and hawks should be lining up to talk about trade and financial sanctions of Russia, if for no others reason than as a show of force. But legit, no-one cares. So, no, the will isn't there right now to push for an election without foreign interference, and unless there's a massive about-face in the next year, there won't be a Presidental election earlier than 2020.

As for war with China, probably. China has nuclear weapons, and has the will to go through with things to show they mean business (30 years ago, but Tianenmen Square is a good example).

benjipwns

Banned
We shouldn't be punishing Russian citizens because their government leaked e-mails that may or may not have hurt Hillary Clinton and the Democrat Party with the voters. That's the kind of stupid policy we have used against Cuban citizens for fifty years.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
We should do eye for an eye with russia and hack their elections.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-greene/is-donald-trump-mentally_b_13693174.html
Dear President Obama,

We are writing to express our grave concern regarding the mental stability of our President-Elect. Professional standards do not permit us to venture a diagnosis for a public figure whom we have not evaluated personally. Nevertheless, his widely reported symptoms of mental instability — including grandiosity, impulsivity, hypersensitivity to slights or criticism, and an apparent inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality — lead us to question his fitness for the immense responsibilities of the office. We strongly recommend that, in preparation for assuming these responsibilities, he receive a full medical and neuropsychiatric evaluation by an impartial team of investigators.

Sincerely,

Judith Herman, M.D.
Professor of Psychiatry
Harvard Medical School

Nanette Gartrell, M.D.
Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
University of California, San Francisco (1988-2011)
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School (1983-87)

Dee Mosbacher, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor
Department of Community Health Systems
University of California, San Francisco (2005-2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom