• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

rac

Banned
Yeah well, the people have spoken! A calm and measured response to a foreign crisis = weakness. He drew a red line, it doesn't matter if we got exactly what we wanted without firing a single shot, we said we'd go to war!!!!

i kinda like the loud guy analogy, so im gonna make my own

its like the US elected its strongest child to try and dominate all the other children. hopefully when we wake up the whole house isn't burnt down!

edit: strongest should read loudest

Odrion

Banned
PIPNWVP.gif

Pixieking

Banned
Re:sexism towards Hillary during election

Which I still think is getting nowhere near the attention it should be after this election.

It should be getting twice the amount of attention the WWC/rural votes lost should be getting, but it's both obvious and difficult to unpack. Obvious because people say she was a bad campaigner, but a man running the same message, with the same lack of charisma, and the same ads would've won... So many arguments against her (by Trump and the media) were rooted it sexism.

However, it's difficult to unpack because some of those WWC and rural voters no doubt have a vicious streak of sexism in them, so did they vote against a woman, or did they vote for Trump? "Economic anxiety" or "Damn wimmin should know their place"? (For proof of this, witness the women with the "grope this" shirts. You can bet at least some of athem would be appalled if their daughter got assaulted, but because the women who got groped aren't relatives, they don't matter... Like Republican senators.)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
really look at that entire map. clinton did worse than her senate counterparts across the board. which, in every other year, we'd call a 'drag on the ticket.' does that apply here?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
really look at that entire map. clinton did worse than her senate counterparts across the board. which, in every other year, we'd call a 'drag on the ticket.' does that apply here?

It absolutely should apply. At that point, we move on to figure out why.

Female? Didn't relate enough to average American? Too many people bought into the caricature of her personality?

jtb

Banned
Clinton did worse than her Senate counterparts? Wait, she did?

Feingold, McGinty, Murphy, Duckworth, Strickland, Ross all under performed Hillary. Hassan, Cortez Masto ran about even. I mean, there's clearly an argument to be made for expanding the map to red states and red districts, but I don't think you can read one way or another that Hillary was a drag on the rest of the ticket.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
New republican talking points must have been distributed today, as several are quoted as saying that the Russian hack was beneficial because "The truth came out" about Hillary.

This is a completely ludicrous line of thought, and a very, VERY slippery slope, as these same words would be used against them if there was hack that released their own information.

Also, this should be interesting:

Dave Jamieson ‏@jamieson 2m2 minutes ago

Wow. @UFCW will endorse Tom Perez for DNC chair. Fight is brewing within labor over Perez/Ellison. Basically a 2016 redux.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New republican talking points must have been distributed today, as several are quoted as saying that the Russian hack was beneficial because "The truth came out" about Hillary.

This is a completely ludicrous line of thought, and a very, VERY slippery slope, as these same words would be used against them if there was hack that released their own information.

You see that sort of thing not only from the right, but from the far left as well.

Also, this should be interesting:

Here we go again. So much for the fight Schumer and everyone else wanted to avoid over the DNC chair.

I'm going to love to see what sort of mind bending insanity the far left will pretend applies to Perez because he wasn't anointed by our holy lord and jesus, Saint Sanders.

Republicans don't care about reason or hypocrisy.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
There is some rec on the side of my Youtube feed where Sheriff Arpaio is STILL TRYING TO TALK ABOUT THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

I can't imagine what other news they are trying to drown out today.
And the gop have the gull to say shit Like "illegitimate" when trump pushed that for 8 years

Trurl

Banned
I'm an atheist who disagrees with Romney on just about everything, but I am praying that there is a miracle where he somehow becomes president. Be the savior of the constitution that the Prophet spoke of long ago.

I mean, I don't really see why Perez needs to run. I prefer Ellison personally. But, you know, whatever.

There really is no reason for Perez to run. Ellison is a relatively unifying figure and has already dedicated to quit his congressional seat to run the DNC full time as Chairman. He has pretty wide support and is an up-and-comer which helps the public perception as the DNC.

I'm an atheist who disagrees with Romney on just about everything, but I am praying that there is a miracle where he somehow becomes president. Be the savior of the constitution that the Prophet spoke of long ago.

Hasa Diga Eebowai indeed.

I'd rather Perez run for some office elsewhere anyways. He should run for governor of Maryland and make Hogan a good Republican (one who just lost his seat).

Also, speaking of the DNC chair race, my state's party leader is running for DNC chair now?
Sally Boynton Brown said:
Max,

I wanted to make sure you heard it directly from me first-- today I will announce my candidacy for DNC Chair! Our officers approved a two month leave of absence from the IDP and have agreed to endorse my candidacy. Our staff will be continuing their very important work here in Idaho, which I will continue to oversee remotely as I run around the country campaigning.

I am thrilled and excited to be entering the race. So far there are six other candidates, all male. The election will be held February 23rd-26th and is voted on by 447 DNC members from around the country.

I would appreciate if you would help me spread the word to any of your Democratic friends, especially those outside of Idaho. I will need to build a lot of momentum to cross the finish line successfully.

Please visit my Facebook page this afternoon for the announcement. My website wethednc.org will be up later today as well.

The challenges ahead demand innovation and passion. Let’s not let this opportunity slip through our fingers.

#savingdemocracyishardwork
I don't really see what make her qualified, it's not like the IDP is some well-run machine that wins red-state victories, but I can't blame her for trying to get out of here I guess. Wasn't there another woman running though, the one that was with Planned Parenthood?

There really is no reason for Perez to run. Ellison is a relatively unifying figure and has already dedicated to quit his congressional seat to run the DNC full time as Chairman. He has pretty wide support and is an up-and-comer which helps the public perception as the DNC.

No reason to run? Obama and allies wanted him to run.

Would I pick Perez or Ilyse Hogue over Ellison? Yes. But ultimately I don't think there are enough drastic differences between the candidates for this to become a do or die contest. There is no DWS here, all three are fine picks.

kirblar

Wasn't the rumbling that a lot of state-level people weren't thrilled w/ Ellison and it wasn't close to settled. (This was pre-"I'll step down" promise.)

kirblar

Maryland has a Republican governor??

How?

Why do all these hard blue states have Republican governors :(
Because the last D one implemented a tax that became a problem. R governors in blue states are not going to operate like regular GOPers.

spoiler: It's O'Malley, who ran for Pres after bad runs at both the city and state level.

dramatis

Also, speaking of the DNC chair race, my state's party leader is running for DNC chair now?I don't really see what make her qualified, it's not like the IDP is some well-run machine that wins red-state victories, but I can't blame her for trying to get out of here I guess. Wasn't there another woman running though, the one that was with Planned Parenthood?
Ilyse Hogue, not Planned Parenthood, but NARAL.

Obama is way too professional about this. My god.

Calling the media out is still good. "Russia hacked the DNC but what you took from it and ran stories about daily were things like risotto recipes. We let you know what happened, so don't look at me."

Plinko

How?

Because republicans are smart and organized enough to run the right type of candidates in certain areas.

JP_

Banned
White House seemed to stress that their response would be timed to their choosing and not necessarily broadcasted. I wouldn't necessarily interpret this press conference as Obama doing nothing, but so far yeah this is not convincing.

ShOcKwAvE

He's really contrasting himself here with Trump...completely taking the high road. It may be frustrating but he's demonstrating how a POTUS should act. I think this will be remembered.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

How?

Sounds like most people were fed up by quickly rising tolls.

The right also went all benghazi on "rain taxes", which was a tax by land area to pay for cleaning up polition that was getting into the water when it rained. I don't know how much people actually cared about that individually, but it played into the real rediculous taxes increases they were seeing.

The top maryland income tax bracket also got raised from 4.75% to 5.75%. I have to wonder if they should have pushed that farther to maybe ease up on increasing the more noticable tolls and vice taxes.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
It was the first time it happened in more than a century, so it kind of y'know highlighted a potential problem with our system that we didn't realize was a big deal until then it turned out to be inconvenient for us?

Fixed. That's the whole point. Let's not pretend that the people who have to build campaign strategies around the electoral college, or the people who have always reported election-night results state-by-state, or the people who paid attention to those broadcasts, or the people who paid attention in school, were blindsided by its existence or significance. It's pure politics.

Fixed. That's the whole point. Let's not pretend that the people who have to build campaign strategies around the electoral college, or the people who have always reported election-night results state-by-state, or the people who paid attention to those broadcasts, or the people who paid attention in school, were blindsided by its existence or significance. It's pure politics.

I mean, I've been against the EC since forever, but I also think that we shouldn't get rid of it retroactively for an election you lost. I think that's fair.

How?

States are a lot less blue/red when it comes to governorships, since so many local aspects can affect the options of the electorates and since the state of the state ties so directly to the governor in the way, say, it doesn't to a senator.

Also these governors tend to be very middle of the road politically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom