• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
SFexw64.png

Our Dumb Precedent

nomster

D'oh, beaten

That tweet is still up despite the internet already reacting. His people must be completely unwilling to tell him he's wrong.

I can't decide whether he has autocorrect turned off because he got annoyed at it constantly correcting him, or he has it on but insisted this was the right word.

It's been corrected since:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-china-seizing-underwater-drone

Trump called it an "unprecedented act"—spelled "unpresidented" in the initial post saved on Politwoops, which the President-elect later deleted and reposted with the correct spelling.

The CBS This Morning show had the "unpresidented" version on their broadcast.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not my Precedent!

Fake edit: This is the second time I have had a valid setup and used this joke since the election. This makes me sad.

How does Trump not have any sort of auto-correct or even suggestion function on his phone? Having just tried, on my phone I would have had to manually override the thing trying to correct it to -cedented.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/more-states-confirm-cyber-attacks-sourced-to-dhs/476227320

I'm curious why this story isn't being made a MUCH bigger deal of. 3 states (Georgia, West Virginia and Kentucky) have now said that DHS tried to hack into their voter rolls over the past year, and most recently in November. DHS said it was a rogue agent/contract worker, but Georgia said 'we couldn't recreate what you're saying.'

http://news.wabe.org/post/homeland-security-alleged-ga-hacking-not-nefarious

GA only one to signal it as an attack, other states say it was flagged as normal traffic.

An official with DHS said the IP address was traced back to someone working for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers. The individual was getting information about professional licenses and copying and pasting the licenses into a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, officials said.

“In no instance was there any indication of nefarious activity or scanning in this case,” a DHS official said. DHS said that activity sent out an “options command” that flagged an alert in Georgia.

According to the National Association of Secretaries of State, two other states – Kentucky and Virginia – said they detected activity from the same IP address Georgia identified. Both states said the incidents appeared to be regular web traffic and not malicious.

For posterity GA refused federal help in cybersecurity protect for the election.

dramatis

Dick Cheney Increases Pressure on Rubio to Confirm Exxon C.E.O.
Cheney’s machinations, unsurprisingly, have turned to Marco Rubio. At the beginning of the week, Rubio joined the ranks of senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham by indicating that he might break with the G.O.P. over Tillerson’s controversial ties to the Russian government and President Vladimir Putin. “Being a ‘friend of Vladimir’ is not an attribute I am hoping for from a #SecretaryOfState,” Rubio tweeted on Sunday, and in a statement asserted that he had “serious concerns” about the appointment.

Rubio’s vote could prove decisive. With an edge of 52 to 48 seats in the Senate, McCain, Graham and Rubio would be enough to block Tillerson, assuming Democrats also formed a unified front in opposition of the oil executive. But of the trio, Rubio is in a uniquely powerful position. Tillerson’s confirmation will begin in the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, where Republicans control just 10 seats to Democrats’ nine, meaning that Rubio has the power to kill the nomination before it even reaches the Senate floor.

With this in mind, it’s unsurprising that Cheney—who characterized Tillerson as an “inspired choice”—has reached out to the Florida senator to sway his vote, as The Washington Post reports. But while Cheney did vote for Trump, his demonstrated allegiance to Tillerson likely extends beyond doing a favor for the president-elect. As the former Chairman and C.E.O. of Halliburton, an engineering and construction company, Cheney has close ties to Exxon and to Tillerson, who has overseen deals with Halliburton in Iraq.

kirblar

From the WaPo piece: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...d63378-c21c-11e6-9578-0054287507db_story.html
Rubio, meanwhile, is fresh off a career-saving reelection to his Senate seat and, according to associates, eager to establish himself as a leading voice on foreign policy in the next Congress. He sits on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, the first hurdle Tillerson must clear on Capitol Hill.
Can't have a voice if you have nothing to say, and if he backtracks he looks like a doormat. I don't expect him to make it out of committee.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how trump's going to handle being given a phone that doesn't do twitter for security reasons.

He could carry two phones, or dictate everything to someone else to tweet, but will he? After how much flack Hillary got for not wanting to carry two phones for work and personal emails and opening up a security risk thanks to that, it'd be really bad for him not to do it, but I bet you he won't.

Obama joking about his smartphone

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Electors aren't getting intelligence briefing... *sigh*
To be fare it's not going to change anything, and it makes it look like the briefing is nbd if they just elect him anyway. I would rather continue treating this as important if the electoral outcome is the same either way.

Wilsongt

Can I be frozen in suspended animation for 4 years, please?

Make it eight, just to be on the safe side. I'll join you. Make sure it's deep underground, too, if nuclear war breaks out.

Reading the way some people think about this country, and the vitriol being spewed... Maybe this country needs to go full conservative. Break it down and start over after the GOP throws it into shambles... Provided their us any money left.

Holmes

Can't believe Modbot let a thread stay open on the gaming side long enough for the OP to admit to receiving a torrent site invite so he could ban him for piracy. Kev was that your doing?

Can't believe Modbot let a thread stay open on the gaming side long enough for the OP to admit to receiving a torrent site invite so he could ban him for piracy. Kev was that your doing?

To be fair the OP openly said he was asking for a torrent invite, and rackham willingly provided one. I applaud whoever was watching for not instantly closing the thread to watch them both admit in the torrent usage.

And that avatar filename, woof.

That required a disastrous and unpopular war, a global financial meltdown, and them going after the sacred cow that is Social Security.

SFexw64.png

Our Dumb Precedent
Well, looks like we're well on our way to the first of those before the guy even takes office! At the rate he's going, it'll take a miracle for us to somehow manage to avoid war with China for 4 whole years. Of course, China's not that stupid and would rather avoid it naturally... There's no benefit for Beijing to go to war with D.C. and they know that... but problem is, Trump gives me no confidence to say the same about him (and since Congress is immensely unlikely to take away any of the President's expanded powers to basically declare a war/"military offensives/engagements" without their involvement before Trump takes office...) and at the rate he's going, he's going to force their hand.

And with a bit of an economic downturn expected within that same timeframe and Paul Ryan taking aim dead-center at those very sacred cows... yeah, D's should be good, provided Trump doesn't go completely above and beyond anyway.

Holmes

To be fair the OP openly said he was asking for a torrent invite, and rackham willingly provided one. I applaud whoever was watching for not instantly closing the thread to watch them both admit in the torrent usage.

OP admitting to piracy = smoking gun

Oh great, now I'm going to have to check everyone's avatar for hidden messages.

geomon

Jared Kushner: Trump Campaign Struck Deal With Sinclair Broadcast Group For Better Media Coverage

President-elect Donald Trump’s son-in-law told a group of executives yesterday that the Trump campaign came to a deal with the Sinclair Broadcast Group to get better press coverage.

According to Politico, Jared Kushner stated that the campaign offered the media group access to the candidate and campaign and, in return, Sinclair would broadcast Trump interviews without commentary. Kushner pointed out that SBG’s reach was greater in areas like Ohio than CNN’s.

In response, Sinclair’s vice president of news, Scott Livingston, said that they offered extended interviews to both Trump and Hillary Clinton, and Clinton didn’t take them up on the offer.

“Our promise was to give all candidates an opportunity to voice their position share their position with our viewers. Certainly we presented an opportunity so that Mr. Trump could clearly state his position on the key issues,” Livingston said. “Our commitment to our viewers is to go beyond podium, beyond the rhetoric. We’re all about tracking the truth and telling the truth and that’s typically missing in most political coverage.”

Kushner also added that the campaign was upset with CNN because they felt its panels weren’t fair to Trump and that when he asked CNN president Jeff Zucker to change up the panels, Zucker refused. This led to Trump hammering away at CNN throughout the election.

mo60

Well, looks like we're well on our way to the first of those before the guy even takes office! At the rate he's going, it'll take a miracle for us to somehow manage to avoid war with China for 4 whole years. Of course, China's not that stupid and would rather avoid it naturally... There's no benefit for Beijing to go to war with D.C. and they know that... but problem is, Trump gives me no confidence to say the same about him (and since Congress is immensely unlikely to take away any of the President's expanded powers to basically declare a war/"military offensives/engagements" without their involvement before Trump takes office...) and at the rate he's going, he's going to force their hand.

And with a bit of an economic downturn expected within that same timeframe and Paul Ryan taking aim dead-center at those very sacred cows... yeah, D's should be good, provided Trump doesn't go completely above and beyond anyway.

It's also possible the GOP and/or trump does something shady that tries to make the GOP and/or trump stronger, but it backfires horribly.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mr. Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. quashed a competing candidate, Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington State, because of her support for selling off public land, a senior Republican official said.

Well that's...nice I guess?

kirblar

Somehow I'm having trouble believing Donald Trump Jr., the guy that likes to murder animals for fun, is all that noble when it comes to public lands.
Believing the government should lease the lands to companies rather than sell the ownership outright when natural resources are involved isn't incompatible with wanting to maintain public access.

The whole hunting thing is probably why he wants the access maintained.
Wasn't the point of public land that Teddy wanted somewhere to shoot shit? Seems to check out.
Exactly.

Weird turn on Obama....

He can have a preference for DNC Chair...

Also, you all have weird expectations of what an outgoing sitting President is going to say or do regarding their successor.

Diablos

DNC is such a mess right now. Zero confidence for 2018

btw if Obama is gonna do something to Russia he basically has one month left... just saying...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Believing the government should lease the lands to companies rather than sell the ownership outright when natural resources are involved isn't incompatible with wanting to maintain public access.

The whole hunting thing is probably why he wants the access maintained.

Exactly.

I know that asshole hunters in a round about way can be good for wildlife conservation, but I didn't expect to see that concept to be used like this.

Whatever works i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom