• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Hehe for fun's sake and to cheer myself up I'll play the celebrity president game..

George fucking Clooney! Bam, election over!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amidst everything I somehow missed that single payer lost 80-20 in Colorado

Jesus

It's dead. The Dems shouldn't touch it with a 30 foot pole

Jesus

If Harry Truman had done single payer back in the 40s, we would be in good shape now. But replacing everyone's health insurance plans to put them on government plans is just an impossibility. People don't trust the government and obviously don't want to the perceived risk of losing their health insurance for something worse while having their taxes go way up.

Cheebo

Banned
We are going to get Mark Cuban as the nominee aren't we?

Our bench is almost completely non-existent. In terms of young enough charismatic state level elected officials we have.....Corey Booker and uh Corey Booker.

If Cuban decided to run for the nomination he would likely win due to how horrible the bench is. I am not joking.

Jesus

Yeah, that's one of the stories that's getting lost in the focus on the Presidency at the moment. Regardless of the merits, it's just not something people want. If that's not happening in Colorado and by such a landslide margin as that, it probably won't happen anywhere and DEFINITELY NOT on a nation-wide level. Whoever runs in 2020 has to avoid it as much as possible, I'm forced to agree.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I meant I wanted Ellison to run for the nomination. I don't think he'd win, but I think he could humanize Muslims for millions of people.

Gay friend is now posting about how wrong it is for the post-Trump violence against LGBT to be happening... and he supported Trump.

And after complaining his friends are upset with him for who he supported.

This is why I feel like the nation will learn nothing.

I have morons like this on my FB page too. Mostly white women desperately trying to defend their decision. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do except hope (and this is truly awful to say) they change their mind after seeing what minorities, LGBTQ+, women, etc. will be going through over the next four years. And then hope it overcomes their denial. I also think far too many of them really believe that Trump isn't actually as racist as he says and will have their illusion shattered as soon as he actually attempts his Muslim ban or whatever.

If there is one bright side to this, it's that my respect for conservatives who rejected Trump and didn't vote for him has skyrocketed. Seeing how many idiots that have tried to pretend that he's okay after the fact reveals how principled the never-Trumpers were. I may blame them for not voting for Hillary in the end, but the other side is so rage-inducingly stupid I have to give them credit.

Fox318

We are going to get Mark Cuban as the nominee aren't we?

Our bench is almost completely non-existent.

In terms of young enough charismatic state level elected officials we have.....Corey Booker and uh Corey Booker.

Thats why you want to run with a large field of candidates.

There is no fucking reason why people like Booker and Warren were not running.

Maybe highlight a Representative from a midwest state. Even if they lose you get their name out there like a John Edwards.

Cheebo

Banned
Thats why you want to run with a large field of candidates.

There is no fucking reason why people like Booker and Warren were not running.

Maybe highlight a Representative from a midwest state. Even if they lose you get their name out there like a John Edwards.

In all honesty is there ANYONE who could compete with Booker at this point outside a non-politician dropping it (Cuban, Michelle Obama, etc) in 2020?

2016 proved you need charisma and young people excitement to go anywhere.

I think single payer needs to get pursued by one of the big liberal strongholds on the coast. Maybe if California passes it, it becomes wildly popular (as Medicare and Medicaid are) and can be a clear example for how it works. California has the economy for it so they won't run into the problems Vermont had. I'm not sure if somewhere like Washington could do it first. Maybe expanding the age on Medicare is the only way to do it nationally.

Of course, I've never been to California nor am I that well-versed in its state politics so maybe I'm totally off, but that seems like the best way for it to move forward here.

So if were lucky Ginsburg and Breyer don't retire/die. If we're really really lucky, neither does Kennedy. What are the chances of Kennedy not trusting Trump with his replacement?

I think single payer needs to get pursued by one of the big liberal strongholds on the coast. Maybe if California passes it, it becomes wildly popular (as Medicare and Medicaid are) and can be a clear example for how it works. California has the economy for it so they won't run into the problems Vermont had. I'm not sure if somewhere like Washington could do it first. Maybe expanding the age on Medicare is the only way to do it nationally.

Of course, I've never been to California nor am I that well-versed in its state politics so maybe I'm totally off, but that seems like the best way for it to move forward here.

Problem is Single Payer is a lot harder for the states to do than the Fed Government, just because of the much stronger pressures deficits have on states.

No. The key thing about the Colorado result are the margins. If it lost by 80-20 in Colorado then even accounting for how California is much more blue than Colorado is it would still definitively lose, by like a 55-45 margin instead of an 80-20 one perhaps but be smacked down all the same. That's just much too large a margin, much too clear a message that it ain't happening anywhere. Even adjusting for different demographics, with that result, there's no way it happens anywhere. None.

Fox318

In all honesty is there ANYONE who could compete with Booker at this point outside a non-politician dropping it (Cuban, Michelle Obama, etc) in 2020?

2016 proved you need charisma and young people excitement to go anywhere.

Political theatrics and being able to convince the people has always been a part of politics.

Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, JFK, Obama, and Trump all knew that.

daedalius

Trump just said he won't repeal Obamacare.

This guy man... its like more and more it seems like he is a total political opportunist, and appealed to everything the republican base wanted, and doesn't intend to go through with any of it.

Republican heartburn, hah

Cheebo

Banned
Political theatrics and being able to convince the people has always been a part of politics.

Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, JFK, Obama, and Trump all knew that.

Literally the only one who fits that who wont be over the age of 70 in 2020 that is in state wide elected office is Corey Booker.

The worst part of the senate and governorships being destroyed is it destroys the bench.

If there is one bright side to this, it's that my respect for conservatives who rejected Trump and didn't vote for him has skyrocketed. Seeing how many idiots that have tried to pretend that he's okay after the fact reveals how principled the never-Trumpers were. I may blame them for not voting for Hillary in the end, but the other side is so rage-inducingly stupid I have to give them credit.

Wish I knew some conservatives that did. Sadly they all got in rank and file.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Reading OT, I really get the feeling that Bernie guys won't be satisfied until the Dems become America's version of the Labour Party.

thcsquad

Problem is Single Payer is a lot harder for the states to do than the Fed Government, just because of the much stronger pressures deficits have on states.

It's easier for states which are furiously growing their tax bases. I assume it would be harder in Vermont, even if the people want it, for that reason. Same with NY, IL, or anywhere else that would have budget issues due to declining or stagnant population.

So for states that are really liberal and booming in population, it could work. That's pretty much CA and WA, maybe OR, if my assumptions about those states are correct. Maybe DC?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Your intuition is correct.

Sigh, so true.

People can be so short sighted. If you don't think Bernie is a saviour you're considered a DNC hack or worse a Democrat in name only.

It's basically the democratic version of the tea party, minus the racism lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sigh, so true.

People can be so short sighted. If you don't think Bernie is a saviour you're considered a DNC hack or worse a Democrat in name only.

It's basically the democratic version of the tea party, minus the racism lol

Let's be honest, it has a degree racism but it's a diet version, and it's not a plank of the platform.

I have no idea how some of you have immediately reverted back to your smug ways when we just lost what should've been the easiest fucking election for dems of all time. I'm humbled and ashamed over this shit. We need to look hard at what went wrong here. But no let's do what the GOP does and double down on everything that went wrong last time including laughing at and dismissing Bernie supporters or anyone else who had something to say about Hillary.

I have no idea how some of you have immediately reverted back to your smug ways when we just lost what should've been the easiest fucking election for dems of all time. I'm humbled and ashamed over this shit. We need to look hard at what went wrong here. But no let's do what the GOP does and double down on everything that went wrong last time including laughing at and dismissing Bernie supporters or anyone else who had something to say about Hillary.

OT has enough This is all on Clinton and no else to power a city.

You'll find few of us who believe Clinton didn’t make mistakes.

Y'all want your pound of her flesh. Have at it.

Me I'm gonna keep fighting for the minority base that many are calling to leave behind.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Trump just said he won't repeal Obamacare.

This guy man... its like more and more it seems like he is a total political opportunist, and appealed to everything the republican base wanted, and doesn't intend to go through with any of it.

Republican heartburn, hah

Lol

Obama apparently convinced Trump to potentially keep ACA around and just tweak it to work better.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Some people are taking what I think is the exact wrong lesson from this, which is "new blood" as an ideology, not a strategy

Yeah people sounding off look out of touch (like Clinton).

You know what? Look at what the Tea Party got the GOP in the end. The executive, legislative, and judicial branches.

Democrats need to be open to all ideas as they just got destroyed across the nation.

I'm not convinced at all that any thing the republicans pass in Healthcare is going to fix anything because they had little issue with the system previously.

Also look just because people do not want Bernie to now decide pretty much anything that happens to the Democrats when he's not even a Democrat does not mean people want to run the Clinton strategy over again.

We would have won this race with another candidate with the exact same policies and platform.

Bernie supporters have a right to be outraged by the results of this election but too many of them, at least on this forum, are ignoring the actual numbers behind Trump's victory. It was not a loss that requires everything the to be burned down. There are clear changes that need to be made and working with the Bernie "coalition" is very important. But people are taking things way too far into dangerous territory for the Democrats.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Lol

Obama apparently convinced Trump to potentially keep ACA around and just tweak it to work better.

I have no idea what to expect at this point.
Political opportunist might actually be better than we expected. But at the same time, will he veto Republican bullshit that's not actually popular with the public?

Bernie supporters have a right to be outraged by the results of this election but too many of them, at least on this forum, are ignoring the actual numbers behind Trump's victory. It was not a loss that requires everything the to be burned down. There are clear changes that need to be made and working with the Bernie "coalition" is very important. But people are taking things way too far into dangerous territory for the Democrats.

Thank you.
I hope a few weeks between the election will have cooler heads prevail.

Totakeke

Yeah people sounding off look out of touch (like Clinton).

You know what? Look at what the Tea Party got the GOP in the end. The executive, legislative, and judicial branches.

Democrats need to be open to all ideas as they just got destroyed across the nation.

Democrats did not get destroyed across the nation.

Am I disturbed that Trumpism won? Yes. Have we fallen far from 2012? No. Should we aspire to do better than before and open to new ideas? Yes.

But that does not mean demolishing everything based on a false premise.

Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom