• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Heart

Reconciliation with Republicans is impossible and empathy should not be wasted on people who are still Republicans. 65% of Republicans voted for Cruz or Trump in the primaries over people like Jeb who were at least sane. Hillary reached out desperately for the other 35% and got none of them because they cared more her emails than Trump mocking disabled reporters or talking about assassinating. There should be no Republican outreach ever again for a presidential election.

The Obama to Trump voters should be analyzed so we can win them back, but I don't know if empathy is necessary, more just understanding what these people want and how they can be persuaded.

I'm willing to bring these people back, but only if they're willing to acknowledge and apologize for helping to throw minorities under the bus. I was reading Plinko and Pigeon's arguments earlier, and while I agreed with Plinko that these people probably aren't intentionally trying to be racist and just want help economically, at the same time I agree with Pigeon that like it or not they acted in a way that hurt minorities regardless of their intent.

If nothing else there still was a large amount who sat home this election, and while I still firmly believe those people do deserve some blame for sitting home with the stakes so high, the fact that they at least were above trying to help elect someone standing on a white nationalist platform means they are the most likely group we can win back into the fold and try to make some concessions with.

(And just to make clear this isn't absolving the Clinton campaign of any of their own blame, as I suspect some people will wrongly take my post that way if I don't acknowledge that here.)

The two parties that elect the entirety of the branches of government do not add value to people's lives? That's absurd and I'm sure that you know that.

Also, I've exposed myself and listened a lot. So have a lot of people in this thread. I know it sounds so good to be the bigger man, but sometimes it just doesn't work.
That's thing though, I know that. It isn't my vote that needs to be won. It's theirs, it's what they feel not me. Is not about sounding like the bigger man, cause we aren't, we are just different that's all, but we are also plenty alike and common ground with some of them is achievable, it better be or this might get even worst.

Chumley

Banned
They will go to their graves denying any racism at all and deflecting with conspiracy theories at every turn. It's on us to never forget what they've done long after Trump is thrown out of office.

I brought this up a few days ago and no one really replied to the idea, but should third parties just be banned? I'm being honest, we can't have them and then shit on them when they don't do what they want. We can't ban them, then call ourselfs fully a democracy/republic. I don't like the idea of it basically being a 2 party system legally. Raking who we want as president should be something we go forward with though. Where you can say First choice, second choice, etc on the ballot.

Man I just had a weird dream about Jill Stein. I dont know why I was with her but She was saying she was very excited with how green party fared in election.

I brought this up a few days ago and no one really replied to the idea, but should third parties just be banned? I'm being honest, we can't have them and then shit on them when they don't do what they want. We can't ban them, then call ourselfs fully a democracy/republic. I don't like the idea of it basically being a 2 party system legally. Raking who we want as president should be something we go forward with though. Where you can say First choice, second choice, etc on the ballot.
Maine actually just passed a ballot initiative to institute ranked choice voting for their state elections.

Yeah, Obama to Trump voters will never apologize for voting in a man who will terrorize Muslims. They don't care.

Those people are fuckheads, so don't waste empathy, but you need their votes. Just find out what they want, promise it, move along.

mAcOdIn

He helped seal Trump's election. Trump also called the 14th amendment questionable btw. So yeah, thanks for helping ruin Hunan decency in US politics Comey.
What about the 14th Amendment? Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side on this issue, but is it really human decency? I think you can count the 1st world countries with birthright citizenship on one hand.

I'm just saying, this isn't the worst the US has ever been and it's not something we can't recover from. We need to keep a cool head and fight back logically and with dignity, I don't think acting like we've been thrust into the dark ages is going to win any sympathy.

The truth is, a lot of people question the 14th Amendment. A lot of people hate the concept of anchor babies. He picked a somewhat popular decision. And frankly, as far as illegal immigration goes, it hasn't really been tested and he said he'd do just that.

And to be perfectly honest, while I'm not for kicking anyone out who was born here and has lived here, if at some point in the future the current understanding of the 14th Amendment changes and that's followed moving forward I could understand that. I don't believe it's an ethical question at all. I don't personally want them to change the interpretation on it but honestly I'm ok with it either way. Again, most countries don't have it and I don't think they're bastions of indecency because of it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Trump transition team is starting their minority outreach with a new deal for Black America.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-t...-america/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=31089702
It proposes to change the condition of black communities by promoting school choice, reduction of crime, business tax cuts, financial reforms, stopping “trade deficits,” ending illegal immigration, new infrastructure investment, protections for “the African American church” and an “America First” foreign policy.
So basically, nothing different from his other policies.

Trump's plan to redevelop parts of inner cities will surely only benefit real estate folks.

Comey did it on purpose. Talk about a rigged system. This is it. Thanks for killing human decency in US politics forever.

Obviously the Comey letter hurt. I do wonder what would have been worse though, the Comey letter as it happened where HRC at least had a little bit of time before the election to try and minimize the damage or if Comey doesn't release the letter when he does and then then the Trump faction of the FBI starts leaking that they are investigating emails again closer to election day. Either way it's bad, and not trying to absolve Comey of anything because his letter absolutely had an influence on the election, but I am genuinely curious which scenario would have done more damage.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why all I get about this is real estate redevelopment deals and eminent domain up the wazzo? This is messed up. Hope I'm wrong but is Trump a landlord known for mischievous shit.
Look for Trump's kids and his son-in-law to magically have access to cheap, subsidized redevelopment opportunities.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Social media worries me to a big degree. The way the alt-right, Russian troll farms and the like have been able to demonize and stoke fear is scary. People like to think that some day all these old bigots or sexists or whatever will die out but there's a new generation being radicalized online right now. I don't know what can be done about it.
I think you need to focus on demand-side reform. Change people's lives in fundamental ways through policy so that polarization and conspiracy have less appeal.

It's probably similar to drug consumption. If you only try to use supply-side regulation, you're going to fail.

thebloo

Cw83jY5WIAEqPAD.jpg:large

Good post and a good twitter thread: https://twitter.com/drskyskull/status/796916965956874241

The only thing that's gonna actually change is increased law enforcement leading to more unarmed black youth being killed along with Giuliani jailing BLM protesters.

Look at the real estate breaks. He is going to incentivize companies buying poor property with low taxes. Poor people living as tenants or with loans against their property are about to get bought out. These companies are not interested in building, they are going to run out the people and remodel for the rich.

His plan is less blacks, more police. This is going to hurt a lot of people.

NYT has the Trump cabinet short-list:

Some excerpts:
Defense Secretary
The incoming secretary will shape the fight against the Islamic State while overseeing a military that is struggling to put in place two Obama-era initiatives: integrating women into combat roles and allowing transgender people to serve openly. Both could be rolled back.

Kelly Ayotte Departing senator from New Hampshire and member of the Senate Armed Services Committee

Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn Former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency (he would need a waiver from Congress because of a seven-year rule for retired officers)

Stephen J. Hadley National security adviser under George W. Bush

Jon Kyl Former senator from Arizona

Jeff Sessions Senator from Alabama who is a prominent immigration opponent
Attorney General
The nation's top law enforcement official will have the authority for carrying out Mr. Trump's “law and order” platform, including his threat to “jail” Hillary Clinton. The nominee can change how civil rights laws are enforced.

Chris Christie New Jersey governor

Rudolph W. Giuliani Former New York mayor

Jeff Sessions Senator from Alabama
Homeland Security Secretary
The hodgepodge agency, formed after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, has one key role in the Trump administration: guarding the United States’ borders. If Mr. Trump makes good on his promises of widespread deportations and building walls, this secretary will have to carry them out.

Joe Arpaio Departing sheriff of Maricopa County, Ariz.

David A. Clarke Jr. Milwaukee County sheriff

Michael McCaul Representative from Texas and chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee

Jeff Sessions Senator from Alabama
E.P.A. Administrator
The Environmental Protection Agency, which issues and oversees environmental regulations, is under threat from the president-elect, who has vowed to dismantle the agency “in almost every form.”

Myron Ebell - A director at the Competitive Enterprise Institute and a prominent climate change skeptic

Robert E. Grady - Gryphon Investors partner who was involved in drafting the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990

Jeffrey R. Holmstead - Lawyer with Bracewell L.L.P. and former deputy E.P.A. administrator in the George W. Bush administration
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/politics/donald-trump-administration.html?_r=0

The most interesting i've seen so far is Kelly Ayotte as Defense Secretary LOL. Also Mr. Bridge-gate who could soon be in jail as his Attorney General LOL.

Rudy "Stop and Frisk" Giuliani as AG and David "BLM is terrorism" Clarke as Homeland Security Secretary just makes you wanna cry.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Holy fucking shit UltimaPooh,

that one actually lists the source!

watershed

Banned

Some excerpts:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/politics/donald-trump-administration.html?_r=0

The most interesting i've seen so far is Kelly Ayotte as Defense Secretary LOL. Also Mr. Bridge-gate who could soon be in jail as his Attorney General LOL.

Rudy "Stop and Frisk" Giuliani and David "BLM is terrorism" Clarke should just be in the role jointly.

As I said before, Donald Trump picks the worst fucking people.

Rudy "Stop and Frisk" Giuliani and David "BLM is terrorism" Clarke should just be in the role jointly.
cant wait for all the 'both sides' and liberal blaming when we end up with Breitbart running the White House

Kid Heart

Some excerpts:

57944920.jpg

Ughhhhhhhhhhh, you couldn't possibly pick a worse list then this.

Some excerpts:

Is Jeff Sessions on ALL the shortlists or what?

Oh, missed HHS. Still, it's ridiculous. I look forward to Sheriff Arpaio running the DHS into the ground, that'll be... fun...

Spike in white terrorist attacks incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom