• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, think bigger. If they really try this shit with Medicare, 2018 will be a 2006-esque wave. Trump might actually work with Democrats to get some shit done. Might a weird opportunity.

But I maintain that McConnell is way too smart to allow this idea to get anywhere near the Senate.

royalan

Can someone explain to me why Paul Ryan wants the privatization of Medicare so badly?

I mean, other than him being a soulless succubus who wants to screw over the middle class. That much is obvious.

But, like, what's his actual plan to sell this to the American people?

Guys, everything we need to win back seats in 2018 and make Trump a one-term president is here. Here in abundance, but fuck we need to be ready to pounce.

Guys, think bigger. If they really try this shit with Medicare, 2018 will be a 2006-esque wave. Trump might actually work with Democrats to get some shit done. Might a weird opportunity.

But I maintain that McConnell is way too smart to allow this idea to get anywhere near the Senate.

The negative coverge of Ryan trying it would cause us to probably take the house. This is the issue we can use to get old people back with democrats for at least one time.

wutwutwut

So I wonder if his corporate tax reform plan could work. I mean, like, it's his plan so my inclination is to think it is bad, but our current system makes no sense at all so breaking apart the global taxation system actually might be good for US corporates. It might be good in theory but then mucked up by 50 republican riders about bullshit.
Lowering corporate taxes is probably the only bit of Republican propaganda I agree with. Corporate taxes are massively inefficient and regressive.

Totakeke

I'm interested more than ever before to see what Obama will do once he steps out of the White House. He implied he's going to be more outspoken without the shackles of the presidency... Will we get a situation where the sitting president threatens to imprison is predecessor?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't even care about the rate. It seems artificial and no one pays it anyway. Switching from a global system to a territorial one like EVERY OTHER COUNTRY ON EARTH makes sense.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Man what the hell is Ryan DOING.
I want to know how he's going to replace Obamacare and make it more affordable or so he says while still covering pre existing conditions. I'd LOVE to know.
The same magic that fuels most Republican plans.

watershed

Banned
Can someone explain to me why Paul Ryan wants the privatization of Medicare so badly?

I mean, other than him being a soulless succubus who wants to screw over the middle class. That much is obvious.

Guys, everything we need to win back seats in 2018 and make Trump a one-term president is here. Here in abundance, but fuck we need to be ready to pounce.

If I tried to put it into conservative language it would be something like "give healthcare back to the people."
"Let you decide your own healthcare."
"Get government out of your healthcare."
I'm sure there's more.

Tamanon

Banned
Guys, it's pretty obvious.

Allowing people to purchase insurance across state lines means they only need one insurance provider to accept pre-existing conditions. Everyone can get that one!

Sure, it'll be terrible, but I'm sure the market will work it out.

Man what the hell is Ryan DOING.
I want to know how he's going to replace Obamacare and make it more affordable or so he says while still covering pre existing conditions. I'd LOVE to know.

He'll take Obamacare and replace it with something like... the Affordable Care Act. That sounds like a name they would give this legislation.

He's "updating" it and providing a "better way".

It's suicidal but Ryan's a moron so, y'know.

Wag

Don Trump Jr, "I know my father pretty well". Makes me believe he was raised by servants.

Fuck. Trump Sr is just making shit up on the 60 Mins interview.

Doubled down on knowing more than the generals about ISIS.

royalan

If I tried to put it into conservative language it would be something like "give healthcare back to the people."
"Let you decide your own healthcare."
"Get government out of your healthcare."
I'm sure there's more.

I don't even know how that would work for conservatives. I mean, THE biggest message surrounding healthcare right now is how expensive it is.

ANY major change, not matter what slogan they wrap around it, is going to provoke one question on both sides of the aisle: "Ok sounds great. How much will it cost me?"

And that's where it will fail. Every time.

Not to mention that there are quite a few Republicans with pre-existing conditions, who use the ACA and expanded medicare services EVEN AS they shit-talk them. Faced with the real reality of that coverage going away...I just don't know how Ryan sells it.

Part of me wants to see him try, its failure seems so obvious. But that's the same part of me that wanted to see Donald Trump run for president.

HylianTom

Banned
AFP: #BREAKING Trump vows to name pro-life, pro-gun rights Supreme Court justices
AFP: #BREAKING Trump says he is "fine" with same-sex marriage

*blinks*

I'm a bit skeptical that there are many judges who'd overturn Roe while also leaving Obergefell untouched.

Because government is bad.

It's funny to see people on /pol/ freaking out now that they've realized that the GOP might kill net neutrality.

I mean, that's the way you should start out with the GOP. Voting for a dude who you think will get the brown people away and then you realize "oh, crap, I needed that government stuff..." after you vote.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

He plans to sell it by blaming it on Obama.

BRET BAIER: Your solution has always been to put things together including entitlement reform. That is Paul Ryan's plan. That's not Donald Trump's plan.

PAUL RYAN: Well, you have to remember, when Obamacare became Obamacare, Obamacare rewrote medicare, rewrote medicaid. If you are going to repeal and replace Obamacare, you have to address those issues as well. What a lot of folks don't realize is this 21-person board called the ipap is about to kick in with price controls on Medicare. What people don't realize is because of Obamacare, medicare is going broke, medicare is going to have price controls because of Obamacare, medicaid is in fiscal straits. You have to deal with those issues if you are going to repeal and replace obamacare. Medicare has serious problems [because of] Obamacare. Those are part of our plan.

Could Roe v Wade really be overturned? What kind of case would have to reach the Supreme Court for that to happen?

No

The Supreme Court is not in the business of taking rights away they have previously granted.

The biggest dangers to abortion would be restricting access and laws restricting access being made constitutional. Stuff like only having one clinic in the entire state of Texas. Those are the dangers to abortion.

They'd need more than Scalia's seat to outright overturn Roe v Wade.

He plans to sell it by blaming it on Obama.

This doesn't work anymore. People put the blame on the president's party. They cannot just keep blaming Obama and expecting it to work.

Wag

Oh, Trump didn't say he was fine with same-sex marriage. What he said was it was already a "done deal". When Leslie Stahl asked him if he would try to change that with his Supreme Court appointments, he wouldn't give a straight answer.

watershed

Banned
I don't even know how that would work for conservatives. I mean, THE biggest message surrounding healthcare right now is how expensive it is.

ANY major change, not matter what slogan they wrap around it, is going to provoke one question on both sides of the aisle: "Ok sounds great. How much will it cost me?"

And that's where it will fail. Every time.

Not to mention that there are quite a few Republicans with pre-existing conditions, who use the ACA and expanded medicare services EVEN AS they shit-talk them. Faced with the real reality of that coverage going away...I just don't know how Ryan sells it.

Part of me wants to see him try, its failure seems so obvious. But that's the same part of me that wanted to see Donald Trump run for president.

I think republicans will commit to keeping stuff like no life time caps, no pre-existing conditions limits, and the extended age limit. Everything else will be about "personal responsibility" and we already know republicans love to sell people on health savings accounts that will somehow save them money. They won't address the actual cost of healthcare because they're not interested in that. They want to unleash the power of the free market to drive down costs through competition, they don't want the government mandating anything. I don't know if any of that results in coherent, effective policy.

Chichikov

Part of me wants them to phase out Medicare. That would jumpstart the democrats in their quest for 2020. Seriously--if there's an issue that's going to galvanize elderly and those close to retirement, it's Medicare. We'd see landslide-type results if the democrats actually unite with a common message.

Then, when democrats get back in control, they'll bring it back.
Sorry man but you have have lost your mind.
Even ignoring the fact that this will fucking get people killed, they'll phase it slowly and make sure old people get to keep their (and fuck yours). Also, bringing it back (OMG TAXES) is going to be very difficult.
No, you must fight that shit and fight it hard, I think it's a fight that we can win, but they need to make their stand before it passes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you get rid of Medicare, don't you reduce taxes on everyone? Isn't that the goal? Fuck old sick poor people, reward donors and lobbyists and rich people. Right?

I think republicans will commit to keeping stuff like no life time caps, no pre-existing conditions limits, and the extended age limit. Everything else will be about "personal responsibility" and we already know republicans love to sell people on health savings accounts that will somehow save them money. They won't address the actual cost of healthcare because they're not interested in that. They want to unleash the power of the free market to drive down costs through competition, they don't want the government mandating anything. I don't know if any of that results in coherent, effective policy.

You can't have no pre-existing conditions clause without the mandate! They are 100% entirely unable to be separated. One without the other would cause prices to explode overnight.

This is why the GOP will not be able to repeal Obamacare. You can't just keep the popular stuff, but then cut the unpopular stuff that actually makes the popular stuff work.

Chichikov

You can't have no pre-existing conditions clause without the mandate! They are 100% entirely unable to be separated. One without the other would cause prices to explode overnight.

This is why the GOP will not be able to repeal Obamacare. You can't just keep the popular stuff, but then cut the unpopular stuff that actually makes the popular stuff work.
I think they'll remove the regulations and allow insurance company to go back and sell shitty $50 policies that cover nothing (pay extra for existing conditions coverage!).
A lot of people will be happy with that and by the time they realize that they're fucked, well, it will be too late.

Nah, they'll just repeal the name, and replace it with "Trump Care".

kirblar

Guys, it's pretty obvious.

Allowing people to purchase insurance across state lines means they only need one insurance provider to accept pre-existing conditions. Everyone can get that one!

Sure, it'll be terrible, but I'm sure the market will work it out.
The state lines thing is a good thing going forward. The endgame is the swiss system - you need to make insurance portable.

Without the giant risk pool that the mandate provides, it leads to skyrocketing premiums. Add in the across state lines deal, and you also get shittier coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom