• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a multiple point polling swing from the Comey announcements

Sexism and racism are pretty rampant, and Clinton wasn't the best candidate, but Bernie is wrong here. The future of the Democratic party is an intersectional coalition.

Where did he say to appeal to WWC by taking up racist or sexist rhetoric?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Sexism and racism are pretty rampant, and Clinton wasn't the best candidate, but Bernie is wrong here. The future of the Democratic party is an intersectional coalition.

But he didn't say anything about whites being the only group.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm applying to Econ Ph.D. programs as of now and I could use suggestions on schools if anyone has any advice... I'm interested in Labor, Development, Growth, Public, Political Economy, and Environmental in that order.

168 Quant GRE, 3.995 GPA (A- in Ph.D. level Time series), double major in mathematics and economics (with three classes in analysis, two in mathematical statistics, and two in stochastic processes). Doing math research as of now. Went to a university that was good at math and not good at Econ (to put it lightly)

Current school list...

LOL NO Tier:

1. Princeton
2. Yale
3. Berkeley

Maybe... Tier:

4. Michigan
5. UCLA
6. Brown

Hopefully Tier:

7. Texas
8. Rochester
9. MSU
10. Virginia

What are some good schools ranked in the 40s or 50s that I should apply to just in case? If anyone has any suggestions, that would be cool. No problem if you don't.

Somewhere not in the US so you can escape.

ampere

Where did he say to appeal to WWC by taking up racist or sexist rhetoric?

It's clearly a big part of what made voters go Trump. You aren't getting those voters back, so you need to get younger people and a more diverse coalition. You do that by registering more people and fighting voter ID laws

Totakeke

There's nothing wrong to say that Democrats lost because ignoring working families. Tying that to raising money from wealthy people politicizes it.

Are we saying that Democrats lost because of raising money from wealthy money? If not he should stop putting that in the same sentence and equating it.

There are wealthy people like Warren Buffet who is all for the betterment of the working class. Are we going to demonize them just to make a point?

If the democratic party followed your views

Then they would never win again.

YZyf0zp.jpg

lmao.

Revolver

He was talking about sending abortion rights back to the states and when Leslie Stahl asked him how he would feel about women in some states not being allowed access to it he basically shrugged and said they'd have to move to another state. Whatever tax break I get is going to pro-choice funds.

It's clearly a big part of what made voters go Trump. You aren't getting those voters back, so you need to get younger people and a more diverse coalition. You do that by registering more people and fighting voter ID laws

Who said we had to get em all back? I'm sure plenty didn't vote because of racism and sexism (tho they are willing to vote for someone that condones it) and I think a few things tailored their way without resorting to that rhetoric is entirely possible.

numble

Voter suppression, FBI announcements, and Russian propaganda arm

It's really scary that our Democracy is that vulnerable to these things
Turnout was up in the states that mattered. Exit polls in the Rust Belt states indicate that Trump won union voters, a group that Obama won. I haven't seen exit polls that stated that e-mails was a reason for switching votes, but I have seen ones where the reasons were economic.

Luckily for me, thanks to climate change, it will never snow in Rochester by the end of my fifth year.

The world will be on fire, but I won't have to deal with snow. Thanks Trump and McConnell.

If the rest of the world was a desert, it would still find a way to snow in Rochester

Snow starts later than it used to, 20 years ago (used to start in November, sometimes October, now it barely makes it to Christmas, sometimes not until mid January). But when it hits, it hits with a fury. It still ends around the same time, strangely enough. Usually petering out by April if we're lucky (snow in May has happened)

He was talking about sending abortion rights back to the states and when Leslie Stahl asked him how he would feel about women in some states not being allowed access to it he basically shrugged and said they'd have to move to another state. Whatever tax break I get is going to pro-choice funds.

It's funny you know going forward... the left is going to need rich charity folk to step up and essentially fill the gap of the government failing them....

Like billionaires gonna need to fund Planned Parenthood.

Meanwhile the Dems are risking going down the route of fuck the rich...all of them, which is a dangerous game.

Diablos

Part of the problem with high risk pools were they woild be waitlisted for like 9 months. It's been a while but I think the CA one had a 6 month exclusion on top of that. On top of that premiums in the 600-800 a month range, iirc.

They were a complete non option for me when I had to look into it.
So basically you're back to being without health insurance if you can't afford the high risk pool.

YOU CAN DO BOTH. That's EXACTLY what he was arguing for the entire time, and he won working class voters in the primary.

We lost with the intersectional candidate regardless.

PInk Tape

Banned

Basically y'all got to deal with it yourselves.

I didn't expect anything less yet I'm still disappointed.

royalan

Bernie Sanders and his philosophy are dangerous to the functioning of a political party in our current climate. Money in politics is bad, EVERYONE knows this. Not even Democrats want to play this game. But I don't know how he expects Democrats to raise the money to win elections without wealthy donors. And no, not every candidate at every level of government is going to be able to effectively crowdfund like he did.

I mean, we all just finished bedwetting over how many congressional seats the Democrats have lost in the last 8 years, but lets not forget that a HUGE reason for that was the self-imposed restrictions on campaign financing that the Democrats instituted during the Obama administration. We chose the high road and went broke because of it. And this is EXACTLY what Bernie wants us to do now? NOW? Fuck. All. The. Way. Off.

I truly believe that a huge part of the reason establishment Democrats rushed to endorse Keith Ellison was not just because he's qualified for the job, but to drown out Bernie Sanders.

God, that man cannot be allowed to take over the party.

It's funny you know going forward... the left is going to need rich charity folk to step up and essentially fill the gap of the government failing them....

Like billionaires gonna need to fund Planned Parenthood.

Our growing dependence on George Soros to provide social services is probably going to launch even more anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.

HylianTom

Banned
If the rest of the world was a desert, it would still find a way to snow in Rochester

Snow starts later than it used to, 20 years ago (used to start in November, sometimes October, now it barely makes it to Christmas, sometimes not until mid January). But when it hits, it hits with a fury. It still ends around the same time, strangely enough. Usually petering out by April if we're lucky (snow in May has happened)

I remember when Octobers were cold (okay, "chilly") down here in Louisiana.

I miss cold Halloweens..

Zukkoyaki

Turnout was up in the states that mattered. Exit polls in the Rust Belt states indicate that Trump won union voters, a group that Obama won. I haven't seen exit polls that stated that e-mails was a reason for switching votes, but I have seen ones where the reasons were economic.
Yup. Clinton and the way many perceived her weren't good for this kind of voter. But the margins were small enough that better messaging and more effort to reach them very well could have made the difference.

ampere

Who said we had to get em all back? I'm sure plenty didn't vote because of racism and sexism (tho they are willing to vote for someone that condones it) and I think a few things tailored their way without resorting to that rhetoric is entirely possible.

Bolded is the key, these voters don't care about civil rights for marginalized people. They aren't a reliable voter block, what are we gonna do lie about getting rid of trade deals?

Not sure if you'd have people saying emails were why they decided to vote for Trump, but it plays into the "corrupt" rhetoric about Clinton and was all over the front pages of newpapers for a week right before the election. "Look, she's still guilty!" And it caused a polling swing

Crocodile

I'll never understand the raging hate boner some on the far left have for all rich people. Specific rich people, like say the Koch brothers, I can understand a degree of disdain but this idea that any money that comes from any wealthy donor is tainted or an example of "pay for play" is really annoying to me. It feels like playing into a stereotype that the Right has of the Left. Crowdfunding a campaign from say just small donors has its limits and until shit like Citizen's United is gone its going to be hard to compete with the Republican money machine using crowdfunding only.

Oh also because I don't think I've said it today yet Fuck Trump and all his swamp cronies

Bernie Sanders and his philosophy are dangerous to the functioning of a political party in our current climate. Money in politics is bad, EVERYONE knows this. Not even Democrats want to play this game. But I don't know how he expects Democrats to raise the money to win elections without wealthy donors. And no, not every candidate at every level of government is going to be able to effectively crowdfund like he did.

I mean, we all just finished bedwetting over how many congressional seats the Democrats have lost in the last 8 years, but lets not forget that a HUGE reason was for that was the self-imposed restrictions of campaign finance that the Democrats instituted during the Obama administration. We chose the high road and went broke because of it. And this is EXACTLY what Bernie wants us to do now? NOW? Fuck. All. The. Way. Off.

I truly believe that a huge part of the reason establishment Democrats rushed to endorse Keith Ellison was not just because he's qualified for the job, but to drown out Bernie Sanders.

Again he said too much focus was on wealthy not that we should have a knee jerk reaction and go the complete opposite way.

No nuance for people here and Bernie's tweets.

Bolded is the key, these voters don't care about civil rights for marginalized people. They aren't a reliable voter block, what are we gonna do lie about getting rid of trade deals?

No. We go for no brainers... drop trying to push single payer, stop pushing gun control, community outreach to see what else we might be able to help them out with. But just like some of the Bernie folk here HilGAF also have a scorched my way or the high way approach to this whole strategy.

Totakeke

Again he said too much focus was on wealthy not that we should have a knee jerk reaction and go the complete opposite way.

Because things like Donna Brazille optics makes everything a little suspect looks like a dealbreaker. We can't have it both ways. Either we say the little things don't matter, or everything matters.

A potential candidate like Stooge wants to run but is turned away because he was a ex-Goldman VP and his "potential ties" to wealthy people.

As someone who has worked in union environments on the management side, yes, union workers can be very racist. They are also anti-free trade. If you have a candidate (Trump) who can combine the two, you have a win with them.

Remember, recent Republican candidates (Romney, McCain, Bush) were very pro-trade. Trump is the first to take a sharp stand against treaties like NAFTA. In previous years, Democrats were the ones who were more anti-free trade agreements.

Only way to win these votes is to become more isolationist. That's going to cost you minority votes.

This was a close election. Don't forget that. Any number of factors might open things back up in a big way. There's no reason to take a big risk in alienating key groups of the bloc to chase after fickle votes.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I was really annoyed about how Bernie handled his defeat in the primary, but I don't see what's wrong with that tweet.

A potential candidate like Stooge wants to run but is turned away because he was a ex-Goldman VP and his "potential ties" to wealthy people.

He wants to run in Texas near San Antonio right? A Dem there is different than a rural Texas Dem.

And I don't know how having a debate over the nuance of a tweet is ignoring the little things.

Folks in OT are clamoring for Michael fucking Moore to lead a new left wing Democratic party movement.

Christ.

Haha OMG... Jeez. Only celebrity I would take it Stewart... or Oprah.

Why do you automatically assume "working class families"="white working class families"?

He's not really wrong. I'm not a Sanders fan but we just saw a democrat candidate lose because she couldn't hold three "working class" blue states.

You work in politics, so I honestly expected you to know better. "Working class" has literally always meant "white working class." I actually agree a bit with Sanders' point here, but this post is really off the mark. Literally every post-mortem is about how Clinton lost because she lost the "working class" and it's about her lack of outreach to white people!

I remember when Octobers were cold (okay, "chilly") down here in Louisiana.

I miss cold Halloweens..

I was outside in a t shirt earlier today. Still haven't pulled down the winter clothes yet.

royalan

Oh no no, we did this during the primaries, we're not doing it now. I'm not allowing Bernie the benefit of nuance, when he himself isn't capable of it. The man is a blunt hammer.

Take his words at face value. He is slamming Democrats for raising money from donors. That's ALL he did during the primaries. But Democrats have to raise money to win elections. And they have to win elections to help those middle class families. It's not one or the other. You can and NEED to do both.

I mean, wtf does he think we're raising that money for? What pool does he think he drew from when he needed funding for his Senate races?

The man is such a hypocrite.

As someone who has worked in union environments on the management side, yes, union workers can be very racist. They are also anti-free trade. If you have a candidate (Trump) who can combine the two, you have a win.

Remember, recent Republican candidates (Romney, McCain, Bush) were very pro-trade. Trump is the first to take a sharp stand against treaties like NAFTA. In previous years, Democrats were the ones who were more anti-free trade agreements.

Only way to win these votes is to become more isolationist. That's going to cost you minority votes.

Minorities don't give a fuck about free trade.

You bring up a good point though. It's interesting that Trump won basically by moving to the left of Democrats on trade. The election was not exactly a resounding endorsement of conservative policy. No one is reporting it that way though.

Totakeke

He wants to run in Texas near San Antonio right? A Dem there is different than a rural Texas Dem.

And I don't know how having a debate over the nuance of a tweet is ignoring the little things.

I'm not blaming Bernie for it. I don't think he himself understands the base of supporters that he has formed. But that's why it's more important for him to choose his words carefully.

numble

I mean, we all just finished bedwetting over how many congressional seats the Democrats have lost in the last 8 years, but lets not forget that a HUGE reason for that was the self-imposed restrictions on campaign financing that the Democrats instituted during the Obama administration. We chose the high road and went broke because of it. And this is EXACTLY what Bernie wants us to do now? NOW? Fuck. All. The. Way. Off.

Decreasing focus on the wealthy does not mean no focus on the wealthy. Hillary had a calendar with fundraisers in California, New York and Martha's Vineyard over a 45 day period in August and September and 0 visits to non-urban areas of Rust Belt states--she visited only Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Cleveland from August 16 to September 30, while visiting Martha's Vineyard multiple times along with visits to the Hamptons and Beverly Hills.

Minorities don't give a fuck about free trade.

You bring up a good point though. It's interesting that Trump won basically by moving to the left of Democrats on trade. The election was not exactly a resounding endorsement of conservative policy. No one is reporting it that way though.

I should have been more clearer. I'm not referring to trade. I'm referring to immigration policy.

Folks in OT are clamoring for Michael fucking Moore to lead a new left wing Democratic party movement.

Christ.

He heroicized Assange and turned rape apologist for him....

Wikileaks being successful and a factor in the US is partly his and other idiot lefites who fell over themselves to love Assange.

Fuck he still can't even repudiate him, he just says its Assanges hatred for Hillary Clinton (always her fault)

“Have they drifted from their original goal, Mike? I know you’re a big fan of Julian Assange—he was on our show recently. I feel like he’s drifted,” Maher told Moore. “Now, it’s a lot of personal shit. At the beginning, it was about ‘we’re exposing what’s going on at Guantanamo Bay, and the Iraq War, and letters of Scientology,’ and last year their big thing was the Sony hack! Let’s find out what studio executives think of Adam Sandler! I really feel like he’s lost his way a little, and he hates Hillary.”
Moore, who is currently promoting his pro-Hillary documentary Michael Moore in TrumpLand, seemed to concur, painting Assange as an anarchist hell-bent on disrupting the U.S. government.
“I think WikiLeaks and I think Assange, they’re essentially anarchists and they know, just like a lot of people voting for Trump know, that he’s their human Molotov cocktail and they want to blow up the system,” said Moore. “It’s an anarchic move.”

Can't even admit that Assange actually supports the far right.. no no got to be just an anarchy move.... Also fuck anarchists anyway.

Lost his way a little... LOL.... Micheal Moore is a great solider on some level but put him in charge and we're fucked.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-julian-assange-i-feel-like-he-s-drifted.html

royalan

Decreasing focus on the wealthy does not mean no focus on the wealthy. Hillary had a calendar with fundraisers in California, New York and Martha's Vineyard over a 45 day period in August and September and 0 visits to non-urban areas of Rust Belt states--she visited only Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Cleveland from August 16 to September 30, while visiting Martha's Vineyard multiple times along with visits to the Hamptons and Beverly Hills.

Raising money from the wealthy != focusing on the wealthy.

Hillary Clinton fundraising was not what killed her campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom