• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debirudog

That's not going to be beneficial. Who is going to hold people accountable for the next 4 to 8 years. If you throw the media under the bus then there will be no accountability.

the media deserves a scolding because they refused to hold Trump accountable for the sake of their own benefit until it was too late. The media's corporate-connections cannot help itself from showing how unfit he is to serve as president.

Crayons

Banned
That's not going to be beneficial. Who is going to hold people accountable for the next 4 to 8 years. If you throw the media under the bus then there will be no accountability.

The media didn't do this. The Electorate did. And more than half of the electorate voted against him.

The media has a huge, huge influence on the electorate and it was their bullshit that made this happen because they profit on controversy. I don't want the media neutered and powerless, but I want them to be fucked with by Trump just enough so that they realize their stake in this.

Fedelias

Traditional media may get a boost through Trump but they've been on the way out for awhile now. We shouldn't forget about reforming social media and such since that seems to be where the flow of information is headed.

Debirudog

like the media totally played up the emails again during Comey's stint....and we all know how that turned out to be a big fucking nothing.

Have any websites done a report on the GOP's healthcare plan yet? I'm reading through it now and would like to get a more detailed analysis as to what it all means.

Toxi

Banned
tumblr_oglk59wGLD1qz581wo1_500.png

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The left also bashing the media is a trap here. Trump clearly wants to eliminate the media because they have been critical of him. If the left starts going down that road its dangerous IMO.

royalan

The media didn't do this. The Electorate did. And more than half of the electorate voted against him.

No one person/entity did this. There are a few things at fault.

But it is undeniable, at least to me, that the media not doing its job ranks near the top.

When it can objectively be demonstrated that all major media outlets spent more time convering Hillary Clinton's emails than the top 5 major policy issues COMBINED, then the media wasn't doing its job, and they helped cause this.

When the media spent more time arguing whether or not an A rated charity that literally saves lives should be shut down, and not the Russian government influencing our election and the FBI covering it up, the media done fucked up.

Our news media ain't shit.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I agree that the media is the new boogeyman that will be used to unite his factions.

Having said that, a media that is at war with Donald Trump is far better than a media that cheerleads for Donald Trump.

Honestly, a united Media doing it's fucking job for once (with the exclusion of Fox News and Breitbart) will sway the majority of the population, those people who voted for Obama twice and then for some reason voted for Trump.

That's what I'm reading now, I just was wondering if there was anything that goes deeper than what is being suggested. The whole doesn't really explain how they are doing X only what you get out of it.
There isn't! Because the GOP spent the past 6 years bitching about repealing Obamacare but not really offering any solutions.

Debirudog

The left also bashing the media is a trap here. Trump clearly wants to eliminate the media because they have been critical of him. If the left starts going down that road its dangerous IMO.

I think all the left wants the media to do is start reporting every single fuck up thing that the Trump administration would do. Report on it, and let the people rage out in protests.

Fedelias

No one person/entity did this. There are a few things at fault.

But it is undeniable, at least to me, that the media not doing its job ranks near the top.

When it can objectively be demonstrated that all major media outlets spent more time convering Hillary Clinton's emails than the top 5 major policy issues COMBINED, then the media wasn't doing its job, and they helped cause this.

When the media spent more time arguing whether or not an A rated charity that literally saves lives should be shut down, and not the Russian government influencing or election and the FBI covering it up, the media done fucked up.

Our news media ain't shit.

What was absolutely damning in my eyes was post-election analysis showing a combined 32 minutes of policy coverage across the media over the ENTIRE general election. That's fucking terrible and absolutely cannot happen again if we're going to put up credible candidates going forward.

jtb

Banned
I think all the left wants the media to do is start reporting every single fuck up thing that the Trump administration would do. Report on it, and let the people rage out in protests.

Don't even start with fuck ups. Report what the Trump campaign is doing, period.

Because when most of the people that voted for Trump don't actually believe he will do the things he says -- despite the fact that he's appointed people like Bannon -- that is a failure of the media to underscore who Trump actually is. Which is to say: a fascist.

You're already seeing it with the Reince news. The news isn't Reince. But the media can't help but take the bait and follow the "oh he's moderating now! olive branch to paul ryan!!" narrative because they've already written it in their head. They think they know how this will play out.

Loxley

My dad, a 65 year-old lifelong Republican, straight-up said to me today that he really thinks Trump is going to be the next Reagan. Which is goddamn hilarious because this time last year, he hated Trump because "he's not a real conservative/Republican". Funny how he's suddenly all positive about Trump now that he's actually in the White House despite the fact that he's the exact same person that he was last year. He also said that all of these people in major cities protesting Trump's election are just "spoiled millenials".

Yeah, every now and then my dad reminds me why I never ever talk politics with him.

Wilsongt

man, the alt-right are just creaming themselves constantly these days, I bet. I feel bad for their mothers and having to clean out those basements.

royalan

What was absolutely damning in my eyes was post-election analysis showing a combined 32 minutes of policy coverage across the media over the ENTIRE general election. That's fucking terrible and absolutely cannot happen again if we're going to put up credible candidates going forward.

Exactly. That was absolutely appalling.

I don't want to agree with the right on ANYTHING. But if the thing we come together on is mutual contempt for major media in the US, I can't say I'm mad. Nor can I say it ISN'T right.

The way major media treated this election was not just embarrassing, not just unfair to Hillary Clinton. It was contemptible. Shameful. At no point after this year can major media claim to be a tool to inform the American people.

For almost every news anchor I suffered through this year, I don't care about your degrees, your years in the field, your silver hair and obnoxious lip pouting (Cooper), your accolades, and your cries of journalistic integrity. As far as I'm concerned, most of your just glorified E! pop culture jockeys in uglier suits.

Balphon

Considering that Trump's first tweet after his win was bitching about the media, it's a clear sign that he intends to wage war against the press, not out of spite, but out of a concerted desire to control it. His phrasing is just for public consumption, but behind the scene they are looking into doing whatever they can to provoke media criticism, and then point their fingers at them to justify whatever action they'll take.

I wouldn't totally dismiss the notion that Trump is doing it out of spite.

The one thing is that the media might be really fucking hard on the anti-semtism angle. Its not only an attack on their profession, but many's personal lives. I only wish minorities were as well represented to defend themselves.

Yeah, every now and then my dad reminds me why I never ever talk politics with him.

Wise decision. I was lucky I supposed since we were pretty much up and down Democrats... me being the more progressive of the bunch.

Religion tho... We never spoke about that as they are Catholic and I have been an Atheist for most of my adult life.

The one thing is that the media might be really fucking hard on the anti-semtism angle. Its not only an attack on their profession, but many's personal lives. I only wish minorities were as well represented to defend themselves.
Trump hired Bannon and how long did the media talk about that?

Zukkoyaki

I'm going to be optimistic and hope that the media merely reports on everything they do good and bad. We have to remember that they value ratings above all else and Trump doing crazy shit as president will bring in ratings. They've already done reports on Trump's early flip-flopping and walking back of campaign promises. That's a start I suppose.

This may be a bit too optimistic but it's about all we have at the moment.

im not sure how much of the first amendment will be left after trump is done with his libel suits. i could see america in censorship mode and media being controlled by the state or the party in the future. seriously, any authoritarian or dictators does this first.

All those bullshit hand wringing articles about the "death of free speech" due to "PC Culture", College Campus safe space and trigger warnings are going to look hilarious as fuck if Trump gets his way.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
He picked both so he could appease both sides of the Republican party but you know he relies more on Bannon.

My dad, a 65 year-old lifelong Republican, straight-up said to me today that he really thinks Trump is going to be the next Reagan. Which is goddamn hilarious because this time last year, he hated Trump because "he's not a real conservative/Republican". Funny how he's suddenly all positive about Trump now that he's actually in the White House despite the fact that he's the exact same person that he was last year. He also said that all of these people in major cities protesting Trump's election are just "spoiled millenials".

You and me both. I live at home though, and have to hear my dad listening to Mark Levin every night

Exactly. That was absolutely appalling.

I don't want to agree with the right on ANYTHING. But if the thing we come together on is mutual contempt for major media in the US, I can't say I'm mad. Nor can I say it ISN'T right.

The way major media treated this election was not just embarrassing, not just unfair to Hillary Clinton. It was contemptible. Shameful. At no point after this year can major media claim to be a tool to inform the American people.

For almost every news anchor I suffered through this year, I don't care about your degrees, your years in the field, your silver hair and obnoxious lip pouting (Cooper), your accolades, and your cries of journalistic integrity. As far as I'm concerned, most of your just glorified E! pop culture jockeys in uglier suits.

This election is the death of Anderson Cooper the "journalist"

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
As long as the left's critique of the media is that we need a stronger media, not no media, I think we're doing alright.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I am legitimately terrified America will be a wasteland and anyone who isn't straight or white will be in living hell. At this point I hope my state(CA) outright refuses to bow down.

Maybe I'm being irrational but the Trump plan of expanding the armed forces has me extremely nervous. He wants to expand the Marines by 50% alone. History has proven time and time again you don't swell the military ranks to have them at peace.

Just wanted to pop in and say how much I loathe Steve Bannon and Donald Trump. Nothing more to add than that, just wanted to pop in and mention it.

Maybe I'm being irrational but the Trump plan of expanding the armed forces has me extremely nervous. He wants to expand the Marines by 50% alone. History has proven time and time again you don't swell the military ranks to have them at peace.

It is probably just talk and/or a desire to make the military seem strong to appeal to those that would like that than any real desire to start some wars. Of course, we shouldn't dismiss the idea because god knows what Trump could be thinking right now.

Boke1879

Real talk. Everyone needs to be paying attention to Harry Reid and follow suit. Don't just roll over. Push back and not scare easy.

It is probably just talk and/or a desire to make the military seem strong to appeal to those that would like that than any real desire to start some wars. Of course, we shouldn't dismiss the idea because god knows what Trump could be thinking right now.

Isn't that like always a point with Republicans? "ARE MILITARY ARE DEPLETED, WE MUST REBUILD IT". I swear to god every Republican always makes it a sticking point to rebuild the military.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

My issue with this is--do we have that many people waiting in the wings to be Marines?

Kid Heart

The scariest thing of it all is that no one knows what he will do now. Even Trump probably doesn't know what he wants to do now since he didn't see this coming either.

Totakeke

I take a nap and seems like everything went to hell again.

I hope CNN's ratings fall off a cliff and he completely stonewalls them. At times, Fox News fought back against him more than CNN.

Seems unlikely since they gave Corey a platform. It's outlets like NYT that Trump would target first.

Wag

60 Minutes interview with Trump and his family is on.

Watch him say all his campaign platforms are "negotiable".

Isn't that like always a point with Republicans? "ARE MILITARY ARE DEPLETED, WE MUST REBUILD IT". I swear to god every Republican always makes it a sticking point to rebuild the military.

Basically, having a big/strong military is like bragging about cock size. Even though the US has the strongest military in the world by far it can always be bigger/stronger. -_-

The scariest thing of it all is that no one knows what he will do now. Even Trump probably doesn't know what he wants to do now since he didn't see this coming either.

I fear any situation where Trump has to decide whether to exercise military force/action or not in matters where it isn't necessary to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom