• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raising money from the wealthy != focusing on the wealthy.

Hillary Clinton fundraising was not what killed her campaign.
We saw her lose most of her DNC bump during her fundraising and she could've been doing some stumping in Wisconsin and Michigan. This is also when she tried to do the most outreach to suburban women/non-crazy Republicans and this is anecdotal but it was when I saw a lot of complaint from minorities I follow on Twitter about being tossed aside as soon as she had their votes.

I don't think it was the only factor that cost her the election, but her war chest couldn't save it and she could've spent some of that time doing retail politics.

chadskin

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.

After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/leading...aff-is-rnc-chairman-reince-priebus-1479069597

"It's not just golf all day? Hmmm..."

http://www.timesofisrael.com/gingri...rump-aide-worked-in-finance-not-anti-semitic/

On the Sunday morning CBS show Face the Nation, Gingrich was asked by host John Dickerson to respond to an essay in the conservative magazine National Review about the fringe of anti-Semites who supported Trump’s improbable rise to the White House.

Gingrich retorted by calling the piece “garbage” and added that Bannon has worked for Goldman Sachs and in the Hollywood film production industry — references to two arenas highly associated with Jews.

Anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists often name Goldman Sachs, an investment banking firm founded by Jews, and Hollywood to argue that Jews control the global finance system and the media.

Bannon, who formerly ran the Breitbart News website which is known as an online home for the alt-right, has been dogged by accusations of anti-Semitism since joining Trump’s team as CEO in August.

Court documents from 2007 revealed his ex-wife Mary Louise Piccard said that Bannon did not want their daughters attending a private school in Los Angeles — the Archer School for Girls — because he didn’t want the girls going to school with Jews. According the court filings, Piccard stated: “He said he doesn’t like Jews and that he doesn’t like the way they raise their kids to be ‘whiny brats.’”

We've brought Antisemitism back baby.

I hope Newt's wife leaves him on his deathbed.

royalan

We saw her lose most of her DNC bump during her fundraising and she could've been doing some stumping in Wisconsin and Michigan. This is also when she tried to do the most outreach to suburban women/non-crazy Republicans and this is anecdotal but it was when I saw a lot of complaint from minorities I follow on Twitter about being tossed aside as soon as she had their votes.

I don't think it was the only factor that cost her the election, but her war chest couldn't save it and she could've spent some of that time doing retail politics.

I'm not saying HIllary's campaign schedule wasn't dumb, it definitely was. But that wasn't because she was fundraising. Fundraising is a normal part of a normal campaign. Let's not forget that just because Trump did relatively little of it.

Hillary's campaign schedule was stupid because it was stupid. Because she didn't do enough of it and, when she did, too much of it was in states she didn't need to win. And too much of it was aimed at Republicans who were never on the table.

I'm really angry that Jason Lewis won in Minnesota. Like, I'm not going to hold all of this against Clinton, but she fucked up and got arrogant, and I'm mad that what was being gambled was my state (among others).

Harry Reid can't be bothered to give a fuck.

CxMBKmbWQAABZeF.jpg

I'm not saying HIllary's campaign schedule wasn't dumb, it definitely was. But that wasn't because she was fundraising. Fundraising is a normal part of a normal campaign. Let's not forget that just because Trump did relatively little of it.

Hillary's campaign schedule was stupid because it was stupid. Because she didn't do enough of it and, when she did, too much of it was in states she didn't need to win. And too much of it was aimed at Republicans who were never on the table.

I truly believe she felt her own experience as a former Republican who in the face of Goldwater's horrific racism turned away could be replicated.

I believe she truly believed they could be reasoned with...

She was wrong and now everyone's fucked...

A horrific failing in the belief of moral goodness.

When you have a perception problem about being too cozy with the 1% and being up for a price, including because of dumb speech controversies, spending an entire month raising money from rich people without doing much of any retail politicking is a bad idea, especially when retail politics are one of your strengths. Leave that shit for Obama and Bill while you're out earning votes and telling people about your great plans. If the media won't tell Scranton about your plan to fight the white working class's heroin addiction, it's probably better to go to Scranton and do what you and your husband are historically excellent at.

I realize that this is all backseat campaigning and I legitimately liked Hillary as a candidate a lot! I don't want us to make the same mistakes in the future and realizing that the massive war chest didn't help all that much is something we should look at and try to course correct.

Totakeke

Obama putting aside his pride and personal convictions to try to save the country. I respect him for that, but man I wish things could be different. A part of me wishes Obama would just let republicans crater under their own incompetence instead of once again trying to be the adult in the room.

We are already accelerating enough. Obama talking to Trump won't hold back the scary stuff that's coming.

numble

In terms of allocation of days and time in a campaign that has limited time, the allocation of days was focused more on fundraising than campaigning in rural blue collar towns.

http://www.p2016.org/clinton/clintoncal0816.html
August 18 - New York, NY
August 19 - Martha's Vineyard, MA
August 20 - Nantucket, MA, Martha's Vineyard, MA - 5 fundraisers
August 21 - Provincetown, MA, Osterville, MA - 2 fundraisers
August 22 - Beverly Hills, CA - 2 fundraisers
August 23 - Los Angeles, CA, Laguna Beach, CA, Piedmont, CA - 4 fundraisers
August 24 - Redwood City, CA, Los Altos, CA, Woodside, CA - 3 fundraisers
August 25 - Reno, NV - urban swing state campaign event
August 26 - None
August 27 - White Plains, NY
August 28 - Sag Harbor, NY, Southampton, NY, Bridgehampton, NY - 3 fundraisers
August 29 - East Hampton, NY, Quogue, NY - 2 fundraisers
August 30 - Sagaponack, NY, North Haven, NY - 2 fundraisers
August 31 - Cincinnati, OH - urban swing state campaign event

22 fundraising events, 2 visits to urban areas of swing states

This was Obama's schedule in the same period in 2008:
https://www2.gwu.edu/~action/2008/obamacal0808.html
August 18 - Albuquerque, NM
August 19 - Orlando, FL, Raleigh, NC
August 20 - Greensboro, NC, Martinsville, VA, Danville, VA, Lynchburg, VA
August 21 - Richmond, VA, Chester, VA, Petersburg, VA, Emporia, VA, Chesapeake, VA
August 22 - Chicago, IL
August 23 - Springfield, IL
August 24 - Eau Claire, WI
August 25 - Davenport, IA, Kansas City, MO
August 26 - Kansas City, MO
August 27 - Billings, MT, Denver, CO
August 28 - Denver, CO
August 29 - Monaca, PA, Aliquippa, PA, Beaver, PA
August 30 - Boardman, OH, Cleveland, OH, Marengo, OH, Dublin, OH
August 31 - Lima, OH, Toledo, OH, Hamilton, IN, Battle Creek, MI

0 fundraisers, multiple visits to urban and rural swing state areas.

If you think the August calendar is skewed too much, you can also consider the September calendars:
Obama - 5 fundraisers, visits to Detroit, MI, Monroe, MI, Milwaukee, WI, New Philadelphia, OH, Dillonvale, OH, York, PA, Columbia, PA, Lancaster, PA, Duryea, PA, Wyoming, PA, Terre Haute, IN, Flint, MI, Farmington Hills, MI, Riverside, OH, Green Bay, WI, Detroit, MI.

Clinton - 14 fundraisers, 1 visit to Philadelphia, 1 visit to Cleveland -- that's it for the Rust Belt in September!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Obama actually had more field offices too so I'm not really sure what Hillary was even raising for. Downballot? gj

I still laugh about this piece to this day

this president thing is very stressful
sometimes i wonder if it’s all worth it just for a year of getting to travel around the world wearing a sash that says i’m the president

wait
donald that’s a joke right

what’s a joke

the sash thing
you know that’s not what the presidency is

sure of course i do

ha ha of course you do
it’s hard to tell sometimes
from texts i mean

of course

good night john

good night donald

Taking the entire month of August off to raise money was a terrible idea. It gave Trump an entire month to freely recover from the terrible RNC and the aftermath of the DNC. And then Hillary came back, called a bunch of people deplorable and died on camera. She was only bailed out by an excellent debate performance by her and a trash can performance by Trump.

Totakeke

We can say that Hillary doing fundraisers caused her to spend less time with the working families and caused her to lose.

We can also say that Hillary spending time to prepare for debates caused her to spend less time with the working families and caused her to lose.

We can also say that Hillary getting celebrity endorsements caused her to spend less time with the working families and caused her to lose.

This is fucking dumb.

My parents would laugh if I said they could get AARP cards if they wanted them. Both are over 50 (low 50s), but don't want to admit it, so they pretend to be in their (late) 40s.

royalan

Taking the entire month of August off to raise money was a terrible idea. It gave Trump an entire month to freely recover from the terrible RNC and the aftermath of the DNC. And then Hillary came back, called a bunch of people deplorable and died on camera. She was only bailed out by an excellent debate performance by her and a trash can performance by Trump.

Oh no, I absolutely agree with that. I was one of the people calling August's schedule stupid IN August.

But I blame the scheduling. Not the fundraising itself.

I can't believe ending Medicare has now become the main legislative issue after an entire 18 months of campaigning in which this was brought up roughly four times total. Each mention being "let's not do that."

This has be the most disconnected that policies and campaigns have been in a long fucking time.

numble

We can say that Hillary doing fundraisers caused her to spend less time with the working families and caused her to lose.

We can also say that Hillary spending time to prepare for debates caused her to spend less time with the working families and caused her to lose.

We can also say that Hillary getting celebrity endorsements caused her to spend less time with the working families and caused her to lose.

This is fucking dumb.

Well, I think you can actually plot out how many days are allocated to each, you can compare against what other campaigns did, and try to analyze and draw conclusions. If you think it is "fucking dumb" to consider what missteps were made, there will not be an effort to improve. Hey guys, Obama was doing a lot of retail politicking during the same time, he also beat us in the primary while taking advantage of our lack of campaigning, and the Trump campaign is doing a lot of events right now, do you think we should try to do some as well? We can never know for sure what made Obama's campaign successful, it is fucking dumb to consider our strategy in the context of his strategy.

Goodstyle

Realistically guys, would someone like Kamala Harris have a good shot at taking the White House in 2020? Or even winning the Democratic Primary?

Totakeke

Well, I think you can actually plot out how many days are allocated to each, you can compare against what other campaigns did, and try to analyze and draw conclusions. If you think it is "fucking dumb" to consider what missteps were made, there will not be an effort to improve. Hey guys, Obama was doing a lot of retail politicking during the same time, he also beat us in the primary while taking advantage of our lack of campaigning, and the Trump campaign is doing a lot of events right now, do you think we should try to do some as well? We can never know for sure what made Obama's campaign successful, it is fucking dumb to consider our strategy in the context of his strategy.

So did Hillary Clinton not spend enough time with working families only because of fundraising?

I can't believe ending Medicare has now become the main legislative issue after an entire 18 months of campaigning in which this was brought up roughly four times total. Each mention being "let's not do that."

This has be the most disconnected that policies and campaigns have been in a long fucking time.

I'm not entirely sure Ryan realizes he actually has power to do stuff now and doing that stuff means he won't have that power for very long.

It's easy to whine and make up nonsense legislation that would get you destroyed if it was ever implemented. But Ryan doesn't seem able to snap away from his "this is crazy, but Obama is president so we can just say whatever and blame him"

Probably because he's a true believer and doesn't realize what he's suggesting is political suicide that the senate isn't going to touch with a ten foot poll and Trump maybe wouldn't even sign.

I'm not entirely sure Ryan realizes he actually has power to do stuff now and doing that stuff means he won't have that power for very long.

It's easy to whine and make up nonsense legislation that would get you destroyed if it was ever implemented. But Ryan doesn't seem able to snap away from his "this is crazy, but Obama is president so we can just say whatever and blame him"

Probably because he's a true believer and doesn't realize what he's suggesting is political suicide that the senate isn't going to touch with a ten foot poll and Trump maybe wouldn't even sign.

All very true things... But I wouldn't put it past the electorate to possibly go along with it. I mean Trump guys. TRUMP!!!

Wilsongt

Just get rid of all entitlement programs. Social security, disability, medicare, medicaid, welfare, food stamps, everything. Just throw it all into the department of defense and into tax cuts for the rich.

Why give those dirty, filthy moochers any money? I'm a hard working American and I don't need my money going to any old people or disabled people or starving people. amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom