• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

A tale of two revolutions.

The Trump subreddit has passed the Bernie subreddit in activity for the first time.

9459067a61d7835b97f97f5bcd9f2c94.png

Shots fired.

Also, in reference to earlier discussion, putting randoms with no understanding of monetary policy, economics, financial markets onto the Board of the Federal Reserve is frankly... batshit fucking crazy.

She got fucking destroyed over this one. There was a buzzfeed article, that was actually journalism, a month ago about how her staff is still feeling the damage from that whole fiasco.
Why? What's wrong with it? Or should I say what artificial problems did they manufacture about it?

CCS

Banned
Also, in reference to earlier discussion, putting randoms with no understanding of monetary policy, economics, financial markets onto the Board of the Federal Reserve is frankly... batshit fucking crazy.

That genuinely, literally, made me spit out my tea when I first read it. As a policy, that's up there with any of the craziest things the republican candidates have come up with. It's about as stupid as Trump's bloody wall.

Kyosaiga

Banned

I still don't get why Hillary hasn't hammered Bernie hard on that shit. I mean...you're a godamn Senator. How the fuck do you think having Joe Six Pack on Federal Reserve is remotely a good idea?!

For those who might have missed it, from the Florida poll thread in OT

I really want a complete series of gifs with Trump knocking the shit out of Rubiobot with the hockey stick.

I still don't get why Hillary hasn't hammered Bernie hard on that shit. I mean...you're a godamn Senator. How the fuck do you think having Joe Six Pack on Federal Reserve is remotely a good idea?!

I've always said I wanted people I'd like to have a beer with on the Federal Reserve.

Holmes

If that Bloomberg SEC poll is to be believed, along with the recent Georgia poll, Trump's probably at or close to 40% in most Southern states, and Texas is bringing him down a bit. Inversely, Cruz has probably fallen to third in many Southern states, and Texas brought his numbers up a bit (artificially).

Has this Georgia poll been posted? The Bloomberg one was complete shit.

Trump 45
Rubio 19
Cruz 16
Carson 8
Kasich 6

Clinton 66
Sanders 27

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/p...usive-poll-trump-tough-beat-georgia/80923532/

Our queen rides on Tuesday. Sword held high, ready to slay all who lay in her path. Her crown is awaiting. Ready to be perched on her perfectly coiffed and dyed hair.

tumblr_n5ufcp4HpR1qlvwnco1_500.gif

That genuinely, literally, made me spit out my tea when I first read it. As a policy, that's up there with any of the craziest things the republican candidates have come up with. It's about as stupid as Trump's bloody wall.

You're so British. XD

CCS

Banned
Our queen rides on Tuesday. Sword held high, ready to slay all who lay in her path. Her crown is awaiting. Ready to be perched on her perfectly coiffed and dyed hair.

tumblr_n5ufcp4HpR1qlvwnco1_500.gif

You're so British. XD

British queers are the best queers. It's like queuing and inappropriate nostalgia for the colonial age, Brits do it best :p

Holmes

Breaking news:

My Berniebro is no longer a Berniebro. He decided to vote for Hillary. I converted one ya'll! :D His rationale was Bernie's withdraw from the south. He thought it was a bad look and reinforced the idea that Bernie's just not the best candidate.

Plus, I make a convincing argument.
Great. Now steal his energy for our queen Hillary.

British queers are the best queers. It's like queuing and inappropriate nostalgia for the colonial age, Brits do it best :p

I just want a new series of HIGNFY and Russell Howard (who is my bae) to make sense of our political season. Ian Hislop is my spirit animal.

CCS

Banned
I just want a new series of HIGNFY and Russell Howard (who is my bae) to make sense of our political season. Ian Hislop is my spirit animal.

Fun fact, until he left at the end of last year, Ian Hislop's son was at my college. He's a properly funny guy too.

EDIT: Also, are you familiar with Charlie Brooker?

This is what I think is likely to happen. I'd love to see a Bull Moose situation up close though, not many people have had that sort of opportunity.

It would be good to see..

In the event that the Republican Party dissolves, I would expect a short period of time (maybe about one presidential cycle's worth) of smaller parties duking it out before settling back into a two party system, though perhaps one where the dividing line between the two major parties is somewhat different from the current Republican/Democratic divide.

That having been said, I don't see that as particularly likely any time soon. The Rubio campaign hoping for a brokered convention strikes me as wishful thinking. I imagine Trump will be the nominee and the party will largely treat it the way the Democrats did the George McGovern nomination in 1972.

One can hope that this can occur. It would be a tremendous event.

1968 here we come!

Cleveland better start preparing for riots.

Oh Rusty, like Cleveland isn't prepared for riots and sadness

The Fire Rises
from the Cuyahoga

Great. Now steal his energy for our queen Hillary.

Working on it. He's not quite ready to canvass with me, but he's at least considering being in his mom's house when we phone bank later in the week.

Fun fact, until he left at the end of last year, Ian Hislop's son was at my college. He's a properly funny guy too.

EDIT: Also, are you familiar with Charlie Brooker?

Ian Hislop reminds me of my dad. Like, they look alike. It's weird. They look like they could have been brothers or something. Have I mentioned I'm an anglophile? I pay for access to iPlayer and 4oD and all that stuff. I can't help it. Your country is far superior to my own.

And ya I'm familiar with him. Dude's hilarious as all hell.

I think someone voting for Trump if Bernie doesn't get the nomination is still the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet.

HylianTom

Banned

I want more Little Britain.

And if Cleveland ends-up being a clusterfuck of epic, once-in-a-lifetime proportions, I might need to take more than just the day-after-nomination-speech off. With talk of delegate shenanigans and a brokered convention, we're entering rare space.

PBY

Banned
Yep. She needs to release them. It's not going away.

Agreed.

I might hold off for a bit, since I guarantee you there is gonna be throwaway stuff in these, that while not really significant, is going to present awful optics for her, but she's gotta do it.

CCS

Banned
Working on it. He's not quite ready to canvass with me, but he's at least considering being in his mom's house when we phone bank later in the week.

Ian Hislop reminds me of my dad. Like, they look alike. It's weird. They look like they could have been brothers or something. Have I mentioned I'm an anglophile? I pay for access to iPlayer and 4oD and all that stuff. I can't help it. Your country is far superior to my own.

And ya I'm familiar with him. Dude's hilarious as all hell.

He looks like my dad too, this is getting weird :p we're actually not that great, we're just better at self-depreciating humour than you lot. Brooker's my fave, the special he did on our election is incredible.

I assume its something bernie suggested with the audit the fed crap?
Posted on the first page of this thread, from an NYT Op-Ed.
Banking industry executives must no longer be allowed to serve on the Fed’s boards and to handpick its members and staff. Board positions should instead include representatives from all walks of life — including labor, consumers, homeowners, urban residents, farmers and small businesses.

Although, on re-reading, I'm unsure if Sanders is referring to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve, or only regional Fed Boards. Since he talks about setting interest rates and then veers off into talking about Jamie Dimon and Goldman Sachs. Either way it's a bizarre proposition.

And parts of the Op-Ed reminded me again of the other article I posted.
Sanders wants to ban bankers from sitting on Federal Reserve boards.

Sanders seems to be a bit confused about how the Fed works. There are regional Fed boards around the country, which often have grand local bankers on them, whose job is to keep an eye on the economy. And then there’s the board of governors of the Federal Reserve system, which sets interest rates, and is the powerful monetary authority of the nation, and which doesn’t have bankers. Taking bankers off the regional Fed boards would be merely symbolic, with the possible exception of the New York Fed.

Sanders wants to end the practice of paying interest on excess reserves held at the Fed.

This is a highly complex debate, but the short version is: yes, this sounds like a good idea, but the interest rate that the Fed pays on excess reserves is a very important monetary-policy tool. If it can’t pay interest on those reserves, it could be very, very difficult for the Fed to raise interest rates when it needs to.

It’s pretty clear that Sanders isn’t a policy wonk when it comes to interest on excess reserves. “Instead of paying banks interest on these reserves,” he says, “the Fed should charge them a fee that could be used to provide affordable loans to small businesses to create hundreds of thousands of jobs.” This just doesn’t make any sense. If the banks are paying a fee to the Fed, where do the small-business loans come from? Does Sanders want the Fed to lend money directly to small businesses? That would be a very bad idea.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wesley Clark stumping for Clinton in Oklahoma:

Wes Clark
@GeneralClark

Looking forward to hitting the campaign trail in Oklahoma for @HillaryClinton #ImWithHer

Haven't seen much talk about who Hilary's VP is going to be, do folks consider him to be one of the frontrunners?

I want more Little Britain.

If you want some good BBC comedies try "Bad Education" with my life partner Jack Whitehall. He's so not my type, but I'm head over heels in love with him. The film wasn't as good as the series, but the series is hilarious. Not really anything like Little Britain, but it's still freaking hilarious.

As is Cuckoo, but maybe I'm in the minority on that. And Miranda.

She gains nothing by releasing them before the general. Anything she says will just be picked apart and used against her.

She loses everything by hiding whatever was said. People are assuming the worst, and the media is only going to hound it more and more.

Yes, she is being held to a different standard in my opinion but if she's got nothing to hide...

Haven't seen much talk about who Hilary's VP is going to be, do folks consider him to be one of the frontrunners?

Clark has said too many weird things in the past, plus frankly, he's too old and white. It's going to be Castro or if the campaign gets hinky about his lack of experience, it'll be Kaine who's a white guy from Virginia who can speak Spanish really well, if I remember correctly.

CCS

Banned
If you want some good BBC comedies try "Bad Education" with my life partner Jack Whitehall. He's so not my type, but I'm head over heels in love with him. The film wasn't as good as the series, but the series is hilarious. Not really anything like Little Britain, but it's still freaking hilarious.

As is Cuckoo, but maybe I'm in the minority on that. And Miranda.

If we're recommending, if people want a good comedy chat show with a heavy political bent, Channel 4's The Last Leg is incredible. In fact I'm just going to leave this here...

The Last Leg send someone to follow Donald Trump around with a Tuba

He looks like my dad too, this is getting weird :p we're actually not that great, we're just better at self-depreciating humour than you lot. Brooker's my fave, the special he did on our election is incredible.

Hahaha, awesome. Ya, I was watching an old clip show of Have I Got News for You and my mom and I were both going on about how much he looks like a younger version of my dad. (Way before I was born obviously).

If I ever get to the UK, I'm never coming back. I'ma sneak in and just live under your stairs or something. My dream is to just move to Wales and write for the rest of my life. Never going to happen, but it's a nice thought.

She loses everything by hiding whatever was said. People are assuming the worst, and the media is only going to hound it more and more.

Yes, she is being held to a different standard in my opinion but if she's got nothing to hide...

Yeah, but if she said anything positive in the speeches about banks or wall street it will be used against her. It's better not knowing what's in them at this point for her campaign. She's up and dominating in the polls. In the general election it won't matter.

Oh gods... the brazilian right has rediscovered the laffer curve. Thanks in no small part to our government trying to increase taxes during a recession to boost tax revenues. Fml

CCS

Banned
Hahaha, awesome. Ya, I was watching an old clip show of Have I Got News for You and my mom and I were both going on about how much he looks like a younger version of my dad. (Way before I was born obviously).

If I ever get to the UK, I'm never coming back. I'ma sneak in and just live under your stairs or something. My dream is to just move to Wales and write for the rest of my life. Never going to happen, but it's a nice thought.

The UK is pretty good. I hope you enjoy sheep and being rained on if you want to move to Wales :p

Only a couple of hours until the debate, very hyped.

Oh gods... the brazilian right has rediscovered the laffer curve. Thanks in no small part to our government trying to increase taxes during a recession to boost tax revenues. Fml

Oh wonderful. I'm guessing none of them ever passed Econ 101.

If we're recommending, if people want a good comedy chat show with a heavy political bent, Channel 4's The Last Leg is incredible. In fact I'm just going to leave this here...

The Last Leg send someone to follow Donald Trump around with a Tuba

I watched the first episode of The Last Leg. I need to watch it again because I only had it on in the background. I'm not sure why, but 2012 and W1A on BBC always crack me up. They're like a blend of office and politics shit. Cracks me up every time. I also loved Ballot Monkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom