• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking news:

My Berniebro is no longer a Berniebro. He decided to vote for Hillary. I converted one ya'll! :D His rationale was Bernie's withdraw from the south. He thought it was a bad look and reinforced the idea that Bernie's just not the best candidate.

Plus, I make a convincing argument.

Breaking news:

My Berniebro is no longer a Berniebro. He decided to vote for Hillary. I converted one ya'll! :D His rationale was Bernie's withdraw from the south. He thought it was a bad look and reinforced the idea that Bernie's just not the best candidate.

Is "convincing argument" what the young people call it these days???

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The ideal scenario would be a contested convention, I think. I'm still a little bit scared of Trump in the general. Not like, really really scared. Just that little bit of irrational terror. But having a contested convention really drive a wedge into the GOP would help put me at ease, I think.

I completely agree. A contested convention that picks Rubio? Just have Hillary's inauguration the next day at that point.

Bowdz

Damnit, the more I hear, the more I'm thinking this debate is going to be to try to destroy Trump from every side. He's going to have to be on his game tonight.

Agreed. Donald just needs to make sure he doesn't have any Rubio moments that will blanket the news post debate. Stay level headed, counter punch hard, and attack like crazy when need be. Here's to hoping Trump is on point tonight.

Is "convincing argument" what the young people call it these days???

tumblr_lxnhursRO71r0i2lyo1_500.gif

User 406

Banned
Christ, I go to get my teeth scraped and do some shopping and you bastards have a whole new thread and like a dozen pages for me to catch up on.

Someone's legitimately got to get the tiny hands meme into mainstream conversation. Not even kidding.

Look, I just think the American people deserve to know: If you take the oath of office on a pocket bible, are you really the President? I'm just asking questions!

We need one of these for Kasich already. >:|

Don't know what the country would do without you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHDj4DH4mJw

1968 here we come!

Cleveland better start preparing for riots.

I mean, I said I was planning to bike down to Public Square and beat everyone I saw to death with a lead pipe like two threads ago. We're prepared. ^_^

"These voters rate Trump as the least conservative and the least committed Christian of the three top candidates, and yet he still leads," said pollster Doug Usher, who led the survey. "He's turning everything we thought we knew about Republican primary voters on its head."

No, not everything you thought you knew, just everything you were willing to say out loud. I've said it before and I'll say it again: racism is at the very beating heart of our political divide. Trump is showing us how very little has changed since the Dixiecrats left the Democratic Party.

Now, my wife and I are gonna go lift for a bit, this thread better not be at 50 pages when I get back.

Teggy

Breaking news:

I know this is a big deal, but don't go compromising those Christian values.

I know this is a big deal, but don't go compromising those Christian values.

Oh trust. I bern'd that bridge a while ago. He freaked out over that one poll that showed Bernie close in Ohio. So, ya. I mean, I ain't arguing the point. A vote's a vote, and I'll do what I have to do to secure it.

Energetically and willingly. No low energy here.

Breaking news:

the optics of giving up on states south of the Mason-Dixon Line look bad.

On the Right, Trump is able to win in the North-East, the South and the South-West

Bernie has no excuse not being able to win outside his comfort zone

These types of models are so stupid. You can create models that say X will win just by cherry-picking inputs.

It's the same shit as people arguing "party fatigue" as if this is a real thing. It's not.

At the end of the day, these 5 things matter.

1. current state of economy

2. current state of foreign affairs

3. scandal and or incompetence

4. turnout

5. who the candidates are.

That's it.

My favorite was the Bickers-Berry model that predicted a Romney landslide in 2012. Even reading a brief description of how it worked was enough to tell me (or, frankly, anyone who's taken an intro stats course) that it was utter nonsense.

With the right knowledge, it's not that hard to build a statistical model. Building a good statistical model, however, is really hard, in no small part because it's always going to rest on assumptions that can't really be verified. This is a big part of why I've been so skeptical of 538's polls-plus model.

Tarkus

If it's Trump/Queen Hillary, can I count on you to vote for our queen :p

Come to the dark side, by which I mean the "Hillary in the general" side. We have free donuts and coffee on Wednesdays.
You guys are like my Mormon friends when I told them their religion was interesting!

What draws you to Rubio? Asking bc I generally just want to know
I'm a just a plain old cookie cutter Republican other than the issues I outlined above. If the issue is typical fare for repubs, then I probably agree. Look, it's like swimming among sharks here. Everyone is probably against me. I'd rather not discuss the minutiae of my viewpoints and why I support who I support. I'm here to have fun and be enlightened, not to argue.

Also, some of us will do anything to secure your vote.

And I do mean anything.

giphy.gif
Heyyyyyyy

PBY

Banned
I'm a just a plain old cookie cutter Republican other than the issues I outlined above. If the issue is typical fare for repubs, then I probably agree. Look, it's like swimming among sharks here. Everyone is probably against me. I'd rather not discuss the minutiae of my viewpoints and why I support who I support. I'm here to have fun and be enlightened, not to argue.

Totally get it - wasn't trying to be combative/don't want you on the defensive. Just was actually trying to understand how the consolidation to Rubio might work/legitimately curious. Actually would prefer if more republicans posted here.

I completely agree. A contested convention that picks Rubio? Just have Hillary's inauguration the next day at that point.

Fingers crossed, then. Feels weird to spend the whole primary season hoping for Trump to crush Rubio, only to now start pulling for Rubio to win a few states.

Cerium

This is shaping up to be the best election of my lifetime.

Nothing will ever top 2008 for me.

It was a magical time. As a die hard Obama supporter, we lived what the Bernie bros only dream of experiencing.

Also our candidate wasn't a fraud.

You guys are like my Mormon friends when I told them their religion was interesting!

I'm not against you. As long as you're not working to suppress LGBT, women or minority rights, we're good. We might disagree on fiscal policy, but I firmly believe there is a place for fiscal conservatives. Extremes on either end are problematic.

Yup. How's the saying go? In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king?
He's been really good with handling the moderators too though.

In a republican crowd atleast. He's been really great at deflecting questions about things he's said or done that would have sunk another candidate.

I don't know if he'll be able to do the same in general debates though

CCS

Banned
Breaking news:

Oh Adam, I can only imagine how convincing your argument must be :p

In all seriousness, nicely done!! :D

Bernie on my local news. They asked him a question about turning out college kids, and the first word out of his mouth was "Wall Street." I shit you not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/o...oters-those-transcripts.html?ref=opinion&_r=1

This transcript thing is gonna be a THING now huh?

NYT not backing down, and I guarantee you these transcripts are gonna suck for her.
She should just release them and get it over with. These things dont go away. This is what David Brock was talking about when he said these questions are giving ammo to GOP. Trump or Rubio can run with the transcripts line because unlike her, they dont have problems admitting they were on their knees in Wall St. Do a big dump on friday evening and forget about it, and prepare for any line of questioning during the debates.

What happens when this thing is over an all we have are the minutiae of policy to discuss?

CCS

Banned
Bernie on my local news. They asked him a question about turning out college kids, and the first word out of his mouth was "Wall Street." I shit you not.

#justberniethings

Lol.

Those absentee ballot numbers seem impressive. How does it compare to the past numbers if there are any?

The Economist do some great covers.

Also, my internet is back, Debate Party back to happening :p

Tarkus

What happens when this thing is over an all we have are the minutiae of policy to discuss?
We talk about news and issues. I post about them in a subtle, but targeted direction. No chest pounding.

But seriously, most posts of mine will probably be jokes or tesseract-style stuff. Love that guy. Top 5 greatest GAFfers ever.
tumblr_mmme2lBFmK1sq5koco2_250.gif

Wesley Clark stumping for Clinton in Oklahoma:

Wes Clark
@GeneralClark

Looking forward to hitting the campaign trail in Oklahoma for @HillaryClinton #ImWithHer

Kyosaiga

Banned
I think Hillary Derangement Syndrome is starting to approach Obama levels.

Bernie created a monster and now he can't control it.

Holmes

From Bloomberg's polling of SEC Primary states:

Trump is bigger than god.

Also of interest:
Even 40% of Republicans in the South think there should be hearings! GJ McConnell.
The south is literally the only region of the country I can see the Pope not being that popular. The south and the mountain west (because of UT/ID/WY) but even then, NV, CO, NM and AZ probably pt him above water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom