• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has got to turn the trust thing around. People do not trust her, and it is not helping.

At the least, it would stop headlines like this:

"Hillary Clinton's Wall Street Speeches Must Be Really Bad"

You can't keep that going. Perhaps you might have to explain some of what's in them, but you're risking a lot by not doing it at all. When the New York Times is hitting her on it, that's bad. Bernie may well take this to the convention and never shut up about it until then. Trump sure as hell won't shut up about it either. Release them, put it to bed, and hope it doesn't damage you too much on the other side.

CCS

Banned
I watched the first episode of The Last Leg. I need to watch it again because I only had it on in the background. I'm not sure why, but 2012 and W1A on BBC always crack me up. They're like a blend of office and politics shit. Cracks me up every time. I also loved Ballot Monkeys.

Good taste in shows man. Ever watch The Thick Of It?

I do think us Brits produce better political comedy, but maybe I'm just biased.

PBY

Banned
She has got to turn the trust thing around. People do not trust her, and it is not helping.

You can't keep that going. Perhaps you might have to explain some of what's in them, but you're risking a lot by not doing it at all.

Having been to speeches like this, can guarantee she talks up Wall Street in them, even if that's only like a minor part of the speech. You don't shit on people paying you to speak to them.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Having been to speeches like this, can guarantee she talks up Wall Street in them, even if that's only like a minor part of the speech. You don't shit on people paying you to speak to them.

Yep, and imagine the out of context gold-mining.

You can't keep that going. Perhaps you might have to explain some of what's in them, but you're risking a lot by not doing it at all. When the New York Times is hitting her on it, that's bad. Bernie may well take this to the convention and never shut up about it until then. Trump sure as hell won't shut up about it either. Release them, put it to bed, and hope it doesn't damage you too much on the other side.

The NYT is not pro-Hillary at all. I mean, if she can release them, fine. I sure as hell wouldn't do it until the primary is (mostly) over. Drop then after she's pretty much got the nomination sewn up. Don't give Bernie anything that could potentially be used against her.

Yup. I'm about halfway through The Thick of It. I also watched Yes Minister. I also adored The Amazing Ms. Pritchard, but I'm probably in the minority on that one too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Exactly why she'd wait until Bernie is completely dead... So Tuesday makes sense

Ophelion

Know this wasn't directed at me, but I love this show. Malcolm Tucker is a magnificent, delightful monster.

CCS

Banned
The NYT is not pro-Hillary at all. I mean, if she can release them, fine. I sure as hell wouldn't do it until the primary is (mostly) over. Drop then after she's pretty much got the nomination sewn up. Don't give Bernie anything that could potentially be used against her.

Yup. I'm about halfway through The Thick of It. I also watched Yes Minister. I also adored The Amazing Ms. Pritchard, but I'm probably in the minority on that one too.

I think that timing is about right. Republicans probably won't go after her too much unless there's something really bad, but she doesn't want to give Sanders anything whilst he's still in it.

Wow, you're doing pretty well on covering the best bits of British comedy :p

Know this wasn't directed at me, but I love this show. Malcolm Tucker is a magnificent, delightful monster.

Always good to meet fans of it, I love how evil he is. So perfectly evil.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's one of the beauties of Super Delegates, if it is something general election breaking, then they could switch their support. But I suspect the whole reason is it will be countless examples of her being "nice" to the people she is speaking too. But a sizable number of democrats think banks are evil incarnate.

It's really damned if you do, damned if you don't. In the general election, the "What is in those speeches" narrative will be more damaging then what is actually in them.

Cerium

I love The Thick of It.

Malcolm Tucker is my idol. I aspire to be like him in all aspects of life.

That genuinely, literally, made me spit out my tea when I first read it. As a policy, that's up there with any of the craziest things the republican candidates have come up with. It's about as stupid as Trump's bloody wall.

Actually, it's worse.

In fact, it's there with the Gold Standard buggery Ted Cruz pushes.

I mean, if Bernie argued against all people from without banking and supported nothing but academic economists, that would be fine. I mean, I wouldn't support it, but at least it's not bat-shit crazy.

But clearly, like numerous Republicans, Bernie doesn't understand even the basics of monetary policy. He probably thinks the Fed is in cahoots with Wall Street.

And this goes back to why I don't support Bernie Sanders. Bernie may be good at focusing on something that is a problem and bringing attention to it. But Bernie Sanders has no clue how to solve these problems.

Eh. I actually doubt there's anything particularly damning in these speeches. They're probably mostly fluff; lessons I learned from touring the world, leadership waffle.

I'd think the reason that Clinton is reluctant to release her transcripts is the same reasoning why she's always reluctant to erode the separation between life as a private citizen and as a public servant.

It's the same reasoning that led to the ultimately poor decision of setting up a private email server. That leads her to talk about a VRWC. She's cautious about giving anyone anything even remotely ambiguous with which they can go after her. It would probably be considered paranoid... if there wasn't an entire cottage industry set-up towards destroying the Clintons.

CCS

Banned
Eh. I actually doubt there's anything particularly damning in these speeches. They're probably mostly fluff; lessons I learned from touring the world, leadership waffle.

I'd think the reason that Clinton is reluctant to release her transcripts is the same reasoning why she's always reluctant to erode the separation between life as a private citizen and as a public servant.

It's the same reasoning that led to the ultimately poor decision of setting up a private email server. That leads her to talk about a VRWC. She's cautious about giving anyone anything even remotely ambiguous with which they can go after her. It would probably be considered paranoid... if there wasn't an entire cottage industry set-up towards destroying the Clintons.

I doubt there's anything that would be particularly a problem in the general, sure. I suspect that 99% of it is fine too. There's probably a few sections or sentences which would look very bad out of context though, so it's probably wise not to give Sanders any more ammunition right now.

Hillary 60
Bernie 37

Was reading some Kos people who were 100% convinced Bernie was going to keep it within 5%. That's then moved to it's a win if Bernie keeps it within 10%. Now, it's a win for Bernie if he keeps it under 22%. It's the magical moving goal posts that are getting me at the moment.

My new favorite is Hillary is really losing because she's only going to win by 10-15%. If she was so great, she'd win by a lot more. Of course, what this says about Bernie....I don't know.

watershed

Banned
I thought it was hinted at/leaked that in many of her private speeches to wall street she basically told them what a great job they were doing and how too many people were attacking them unfairly for the great recession. I coulda swore there were some articles about this even before this "release the transcripts" story. I could easily imagine that she said some very nice, back slapping things in those speeches that is at least rhetorically at odds with what she says in debates/publicly.

sangreal

Are there any "second choice" polls that actually take into account enthusiasm and whether people would bother turning out for their second choice? Especially against a candidate running away with it?

This article essentially talks about it in depth: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/clinton-speeches-218969

That it could be damaging out of context but she should probably just do it but the campaign is hoping that people will just forget about it.

The problem is that I think unless Sanders gets sufficiently routed and there's essentially no path to the nomination within the next few weeks, he's going to keep going. That's a heavy bet.

Suikoguy

Also, in reference to earlier discussion, putting randoms with no understanding of monetary policy, economics, financial markets onto the Board of the Federal Reserve is frankly... batshit fucking crazy.

Anyone write an article talking about this?
Curious to hear more

The problem is that I think unless Sanders gets sufficiently routed and there's essentially no path to the nomination within the next few weeks, he's going to keep going. That's a heavy bet.

Yeah, but every loss for him will ensure donors give him less money. The less money he has the less competitive he will be. At some point the people that keep giving him money will stop.

Cerium

Article on the David Duke endorsement. Thread worthy IMO.

David Duke, a white nationalist and former Klu Klux Klan grand wizard, told his audience Wednesday that voting for anyone besides Donald Trump “is really treason to your heritage.”

“Voting for these people, voting against Donald Trump at this point, is really treason to your heritage,”
Duke said on the David Duke Radio Program. BuzzFeed News first reported the comments.

"I’m not saying I endorse everything about Trump. In fact, I haven’t formally endorsed him. But I do support his candidacy, and I support voting for him as a strategic action. I hope he does everything we hope he will do.”

The former Louisiana representative told listeners to start volunteering for Trump.

“And I am telling you that it is your job now to get active. Get off your duff. Get off your rear end that’s getting fatter and fatter for many of you everyday on your chairs. When this show’s over, go out, call the Republican Party, but call Donald Trump’s headquarters, volunteer,” he said. “They’re screaming for volunteers. Go in there, you’re gonna meet people who are going to have the same kind of mind-set that you have.”

In December, Duke told POLITICO that Trump’s candidacy allows Americans to be more open about their racial animus.

“He’s made it OK to talk about these incredible concerns of European Americans today,
because I think European Americans know they are the only group that can’t defend their own essential interests and their point of view,” Duke said. “He’s meant a lot for the human rights of European Americans.”

538 has Rubio down to 34% in the VA forecast with that new poll. He's only up in Florida (PPlus) now for a chance to win. This debate is gonna be a clusterfuck.

Cerium

538 has Rubio down to 34% in the VA forecast with that new poll. He's only up in Florida (PPlus) now for a chance to win. This debate is gonna be a clusterfuck.

538 is fuckin garbage but I love how they make me easy money on PredictIt.

Rubio up in Florida? Polls-Plus is literally just a system they pulled out of their asses to legitimize their biases.

If you couldn't bet money against their narratives they wouldn't be good for anything but wiping your ass.

shem935

Banned

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

As a dirty foreigner who doesn't live in the US, I've been interested in how Hillary has attracted this reputation of being untrustworthy and why her unfavourables are so high.

It just doesn't stack up in my experience and knowledge about how she has conducted herself and her career. In comparison to my impression of most politicians, she seems to have a higher level of integrity than most. This is especially true compared to Republican politicians over the last 7 years, who boldly and regularly say demonstrably false things and vote at odds with their rhetoric. And they don't just avoid the question when being called out on a lie, they double down on it.

And yet she is the one labeled untrustworthy and unfavourable? Does her being married to Bill taint her reputation, even though he is fondly remembered? Is it that she is a women and sexism is at play? Is it these mythical skeletons in the Clinton closet that never amounted to anything? Is it the lingering stench of the GOP successfully making Benghazi and emails into a much bigger thing than they are?

What am I missing?

]I saw this today and had a laugh. Hey CNN here's a little secret for you
YOU'RE THE MEDIA

5d3nL9R.png

As a dirty foreigner who doesn't live in the US, I've been interested in how Hillary has attracted this reputation of being untrustworthy and why her unfavourables are so high.

It just doesn't stack up in my experience and knowledge about how she has conducted herself and her career. In comparison to my impression of most politicians, she seems to have a higher level of integrity than most. This is especially true compared to Republican politicians over the last 7 years, who boldly and regularly say demonstrably false things and vote at odds with their rhetoric. And they don't just avoid the question when being called out on a lie, they double down on it.

And yet she is the one labeled untrustworthy and unfavourable? Does her being married to Bill taint her reputation, even though he is fondly remembered? Is it that she is a women and sexism is at play? Is it these mythical skeletons in the Clinton closet that never amounted to anything? Is it the lingering stench of the GOP successfully making Benghazi and emails into a much bigger thing than they are?

What am I missing?
It's the 25 years of smear from the GOP. They hate the Clintons with a fiery passion and have lied and lied and lied about her for years. The media doesn't do much to counter that stuff, so it tends to become the truth after a while.

People in the Democratic Party have generally dismissed these as smears. But they're back because she's going to beat Bernie. It's petty and sad but the transcripts not being released is not helping.

What am I missing?

I think there are a few things going on. Firstly, Hillary's been in the public eye on the national stage for nearly 30 years now. Obviously, that means she's grown and changed on issues. She has a bigger pool of responses for people to draw from, and that, obviously, makes her look more conflicted on specific things. There's also the assumption that she always supported the same things that Bill did, simply because, as First Lady, she was limited in how she could be vocal about things she may not have agreed with.

Then, and this may be unpopular, but I think that a lot of it stems from the fact that she's a woman. Women are held to a completely different standard than men are. Obama evolved on gay marriage, and we very rarely hear a peep out of it. However, Hillary's a flip flopping she witch for doing the same thing. I feel as though gender is a part of it.

What am I missing?

Fox News runs nonstop attack pieces on her and she's been an enemy of the republican party for 2 decades. Imagine being attacked for 2 decades. It hurts you in the public eye. There is also some sexism involved by the berniebros.

HylianTom

Banned
It's the 25 years of smear from the GOP. They hate the Clintons with a fiery passion and have lied and lied and lied about her for years. The media doesn't do much to counter that stuff, so it tends to become the truth after a while.

People in the Democratic Party have generally dismissed these as smears. But they're back because she's going to beat Bernie. It's petty and sad but the transcripts not being released is not helping.

The Republican Party and the Clintons?

starshiptroopers1997.0112.jpg

It's like watching a fly glide into a spider's web.

tumblr_m96l3e6f9s1ru2bnfo1_400.gif

===

Edit:

Josh Earnest ‏@PressSec
On Tuesday, @POTUS will meet with Senators McConnell, Reid, Grassley, and Leahy on the need to fill the #SCOTUS vacancy.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So, is there anyone here left that thinks Rubio or Cruz has a better chance than Trump at winning the nomination outside of delegate shenanigans at the convention?

After Super Tuesday and continuing on to March 15th, a lot of delegates are going to be rewarded, and they'll not just need to pull ahead of Trump, but pull ahead of him by an increasingly larger margin.

Depraved Candidate Struggling To Support $100,000-A-Day Advertising Habit

“I gotta get my message out to the people—I really need this. If you could give whatever you can, even just 20 bucks, it would really, really help me out,” said the debased Florida senator, shamelessly begging potential contributors at a private fundraising dinner to hook him up with enough cash “just to get [him] through the next couple days.” “I’d love a big primetime TV slot, but I’d be fine with a shorter afternoon one—even just 30 seconds, that’s it. Come on. I’ll make it up to you, I swear. I’ll do whatever you want.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom