• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
OMG. Take me now. <3 :p

tumblr_mgwtqf4g3x1qjli61o1_500.gif

Oh Adam, you only had to ask <3

rodvik

My mom is talking to my aunt

Mom: Oh, Adam is yes queening all over the house.

: silence :

Mom: Oh, I don't know. It's a gay thing, and Hillary is their queen.

Mom: Ya, I thought it was Cher too.

Brilliant.

us straight guys love Hills too!

You have a living muse and you are not taking advantage of it. Write.

Thanks for continuing to dismiss the existence of minorities who are AA and support Bernie.

Again, no one is doing that. However, we have always used demographic voting information to make inferences about how specific groups of people vote. When we say women are breaking for Hillary that doesn't mean all women. When we say young people are voting for Bernie, that doesn't mean all young people. One who does not fit into this paradigm is not being dismissed or ignored.

This is how you win elections. Withou this type of information, you'd have no ability to target your supporters and learn where you need to do better.

Is there an African American, trans, Muslim woman making less than $15,000 a year that supports Trump? Probably. But to pretend that we have to qualify each and every demographic discussion with "This doesn't apply to everyone" is just...it makes discussing voting trends impossible.

needing to qualify every post with "this doesn't apply to everyone" is kind of like needing to qualify every post about certain subjects with "not all men", in that it amounts to handwringing about something that everyone in the conversation should already know damn well

Ekai

Again, no one is doing that. However, we have always used demographic voting information to make inferences about how specific groups of people vote. When we say women are breaking for Hillary that doesn't mean all women. When we say young people are voting for Bernie, that doesn't mean all young people. One who does not fit into this paradigm is not being dismissed or ignored.

This is how you win elections. Withou this type of information, you'd have no ability to target your supporters and learn where you need to do better.

Is there an African American, trans, Muslim woman making less than $15,000 a year that supports Drumpf? Probably. But to pretend that we have to qualify each and every demographic discussion with "This doesn't apply to everyone" is just...it makes discussing voting trends impossible.

But the poster in question has consistently argued that AAs aren't supporting Bernie when the youth AA vote and other state votes regarding minorities in general disagree with their consistent argumentation that minorities don't support Bernie. Their arguments argue against voting trends and require them to ignore the amount of support Bernie has in some respects.

needing to qualify every post with "this doesn't apply to everyone" is kind of like needing to qualify every post about certain subjects with "not all men"

I am responding to a falsehood that Hillary consistently trounces Bernie with minorities. I am not speaking some sort of MRA talking point here.

Grief.exe

Nate Cohn:
davdhoward321, as you said, I think it's tough to read too much into the early general election polls. Sanders simply hasn't had to face the sort of attacks that he'll face in the general, and as I said earlier, the attacks write themselves. He honeymooned in the Soviet Union. How much of an effect those attacks will have is impossible to say, but it's hard to give much weight to polls that don't take that potential into account. Just ask Michael Dukakis.

Did you guys actually look into that?

Vermont has a sister city in Russia and that visit was planned prior to the wedding. Seems like the definition of non-issue, but I can see that used as an attack ad to pander to ignorance.

PBY

Banned

Vermont has a sister city in Russia and that visit was planned prior to the wedding. Seems like the definition of non-issue, but I can see that used as an attack ad to pander to ignorance.

The fact that he's not really an atheist but kinda is is also a non issue, but that doesn't matter either

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

John Kerry had his war record, which was very good, turned against him and used to help sink him. If you don't think a trip to the soviet union will be used in the same way then I don't know what to tell you.

reminder that you're talking about the same political party that successfully turned "3 purple hearts" into a slur

But the poster in question has consistently argued that AAs aren't supporting Bernie when the youth AA vote and other state votes regarding minorities in general disagree with their consistent argumentation that minorities don't support Bernie.
Because, as a group, they aren't! Bernie lost AA voters in SC by obscene margins. I mean, completely obscene. AA voters over 65 broke 96/3. Bernie, literally, could not have done worse among this group of AA voters. The greatest factor in determining if someone supports Bernie or not is age. Not race. It's age. However, even among the young, Bernie lost AA voters.

Bernie is not getting the minority vote. Period. That doesn't mean he doesn't get any votes among PoC, but he's not getting anywhere near a majority of them.

Crocodile

Thanks for continuing to dismiss the existence of minorities who are AA and support Bernie.

Do you literally find insult in everything? We have actual voting numbers. Overall, Black people aren't voting for Sanders. In South Carolina they repudiated him. This isn't anecdote or conjecture but fact. Sander's message isn't resonating with them as a group. Classim isn't their primary concern as a group. Does someone really need to put #notall_____ in every post they make when discussing trends/groups? It's not a statement dismissive of anyone unless you see fault and error with any discussion that you don't like or is contrary to your world view.

Armaros

But the poster in question has consistently argued that AAs aren't supporting Bernie when the youth AA vote and other state votes regarding minorities in general disagree with their consistent argumentation that minorities don't support Bernie.

A split vote between the smallest segment of likely voting population, (the youngest voting bloc) while one candidate is completely domination almost every other age group among minorities means the majority of minority voters and especially likely minority voters that are most likely to show up to vote are siding with Hillary.

Hillary is winning among minority voters 25 and older while Bernie is winning the even more younger group.

To try to spin Bernie's performance among minorities as anything but bad is purely spin and willful ignorance.

37, whitey, straight, married, dad.

Voted Hills in Northern VA today. I've only donated to #feelthebern but just to keep him in the race as a firewall.

Grief.exe

The fact that he's not really an atheist but kinda is is also a non issue, but that doesn't matter either

I can see the ad now.

"Bernie is a Jewish Atheist that visited the Soviet Union once. Vote Trump."

10/10

John Kerry had his war record, which was very good, turned against him and used to help sink him. If you don't think a trip to the soviet union will be used in the same way then I don't know what to tell you.

If you're directing the latter at me then I didn't do a good enough job explaining my position well enough in that post.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-...for-dismal-super-tuesday-220046#ixzz41gU4Ufql

Marco Rubio's top campaign adviser huddled with roughly 40 bundlers and K Streeters Tuesday morning to prepare them for a difficult primary election night—as well as to brief them on the campaign's plan for what to do next.

Terry Sullivan told supporters at campaign headquarters that the Florida Republican could secure just 100 delegates from Super Tuesday states in one of the scenarios he laid out.

Sullivan's prediction was part of his larger detailed powerpoint presentation going through different delegate counts for March, April and May. He told attendees that it would be mathematically impossible for Donald Trump to get to 1,237 delegate votes by the end of April, according to multiple attendees.

Sullivan said that Henry Barbour, a veteran Mississippi political operative, is leading Rubio's convention delegate strategy.

Sullivan also got several inquiries about Florida and how Rubio would deal with a loss there. Sullivan said that he thought Jeb Bush would ultimately endorse Rubio and that he would win the state.

Not everyone who attended left the meeting thinking the campaign had a workable plan to dethrone Trump as the party's expected nominee.

"It was a presentation that defied reality," said one Rubio backer. "They said their convention strategy was not contingent on winning any states... Even if you go to the [second ballot] why would anyone say Marco Rubio is the guy to give it to?"

This. Guy.

Also, I fail to see how addressing class issues will help black people not get shot by cops.

Really? Cops patrol poor crime ridden neighborhoods. A lot of minority blacks and other POC live in such neighborhoods. If the communities become less poor their is less crime and patrolling. There might even be integration into other communities.

The people that experience the racial issues are saying otherwise.

We haven't really done a great job of leveling out the classes though, have we?

Cheebo

Banned
Its fascinating how we ended up with:

Trump winning the nomination by not giving a shit about minority voters.
Bernie losing the nomination by not giving a shit about minority voters.

CDX

First your mother was basically upset that you're not on Grindr.

And now this. Your posts about your mother always make me laugh.

Armaros

Really? Cops patrol poor crime ridden neighborhoods. A lot of minority blacks and other POC live in such neighborhoods. If the communities become less poor their is less crime and patrolling. There might even be integration into other communities.

Does not explain the difference between policing between poor white neighborhoods and poor minority ones.

Because if Police was policing poor white neighborhoods anything like they do for black ones, people would have brought up examples to say its not racism that is causing it.

To be fair, I think he does care. I just think he's way, way out of his depth here. This is not an issue he's equipped to talk about, for whatever reason, in the same way Hillary is.

Ekai

Because, as a group, they aren't! Bernie lost AA voters in SC by obscene margins. I mean, completely obscene. AA voters over 65 broke 96/3. Bernie, literally, could not have done worse among this group of AA voters. The greatest factor in determining if someone supports Bernie or not is age. Not race. It's age. However, even among the young, Bernie lost AA voters.

Bernie is not getting the minority vote. Period. That doesn't mean he doesn't get any votes among PoC, but he's not getting anywhere near a majority of them.

I specifically referred to the youth vote among AAs. And even with hispanics, Bernie is far closer than the trouncing some here are touting.

Do you literally find insult in everything? We have actual voting numbers. Overall, Black people aren't voting for Sanders. In South Carolina they repudiated him. This isn't anecdote or conjecture but fact. Sander's message isn't resonating with them as a group. Classim isn't their primary concern as a group. Does someone really need to put #notall_____ in every post they make when discussing trends/groups? It's not a statement dismissive of anyone unless you see fault and error with any discussion that you don't like or is contrary to your world view.

I am referring to the actual voting numbers. I am not arguing that he didn't lose in SC. I am arguing that subsets of specific AA and other racial minority votes are being dismissed in this argumentation.
I find insult in things that are insulting. I have noticed the poster I was responding to in particular has consistently been dismissive of whatever subsets of minority who do lean more to Bernie/contest with Hillary numbers making it nowhere near as much of a bloodbath as is suggested.

A split vote between the smallest segment of likely voting population, (the youngest voting bloc) while one candidate is completely domination almost every other age group among minorities means the majority of minority voters and especially minority voters that are likely to show up are siding with Hillary.

To try to spin Bernie's performance among minorities as anything but bad is purely spin and willful ignorance.

To try to ignore the youth vote and other minorities votes (like the Hispanic vote) just reads as wilful dismissal of whatever doesn't fall into your prescribed view to me.

it hits the same tone, which is that of a clarification without much of a point

My point is the youth AA numbers do not support the argument that he is 100% trounced. Same goes for Hispanic votes in some states as well.

Grief.exe

It's actually not that surprising considering the demographic divisions across the party.

The Republican party heavily leans on the uneducated white demographic, an electorate that is diminishing with each subsequent election.

The Democrat party heavily leans on minorities, a demographic that is increasing with each subsequent election.

Now, I can easily explain why the GOP's message doesn't correlate with minorities, but it's more murky when you try to puzzle out why Bernie's message hasn't resonated with minorities.

Armaros

I specifically referred to the youth vote among AAs. And even with hispanics, Bernie is far closer than the trouncing some here are touting.

I am referring to the actual voting numbers. I am not arguing that he didn't lose in SC. I am arguing that subsets of specific AA and other racial minority votes are being dismissed in this argumentation.
I find insult in things that are insulting. I have noticed the poster I was responding to in particular has consistently been dismissive of whatever subsets of minority who do lean more to Bernie/contest with Hillary numbers making it nowhere near as much of a bloodbath as is suggested.

To try to ignore the youth vote and other minorities votes (like the Hispanic vote) just reads as wilful dismissal of whatever doesn't fall into your prescribed view to me.

Show me numbers that counter that he dominated the youth minority vote that anyway mirrors how Hillary dominates older minority voters, and that in anyway way puts a dent in her minority voting support overall. The Youth vote in SC was 13% of the entire vote, and Hillary still beat him among AA youth.

And so help me god if you bring up those Nevada Exit Polls.

Cheebo

Banned
Bernie didn't try to get the black vote. That's not the same as Trump not caring about black people in general.

Yes, I was just trying to sum it up because of the irony of their polar opposite outcomes due to the minority electorate. Trump in gleefully and publicly dismissing the segment of the electorate. Bernie in not trying to connect to the segment of the electorate.

Both their final outcomes in this race come down to how their campaigns ignored (or outright repelled when it comes to Trump) minorities.

Cat

Please tell me you are joking.

GOP: 10% nonwhite
Dems: 40% nonwhite

Not that interesting going by numbers, but it does mean that almost everything in this primary up to this point has been about race in the end.

I don't think this will continue to the general as much since the general will be about gender just as much.

I mean.. He's losing the minority vote but I wouldn't go that far at all. He did try, its just his plan A didn't work, and couldn't come up with an effective plan B. His brand is really all he's got and when it didn't work on a national scale he didn't quite know how to adjust. I don't think the problem had anything to do with his caring.

Bowdz

Trump should start hitting Rubio as being a leftist, politically correct loser who wants everyone to win despite losing. Bro, you've lost every state. Pack it up you loser.

Rubio is taking pot shots at an ex-wrestler? Why would you deliberately take pot shots at retired wrestlers 3 times your size? Is he trying to get beat up? Is he anticipating this and trying to bank some sympathy vote? Dude, seriously, don't encourage any more loud people to go out and support Trump and mock you.

Ekai

Show me numbers that counter that he dominated the youth minority vote that anyway mirrors how Hillary dominates older minority voters, and that in anyway way puts a dent in her minority voting support overall.

And so help me god if you bring up those Nevada Exit Polls.

I didn't argue it mirrors her. I argued that it's nowhere near the complete domination that you've consistently argued that it is.

PBY

Banned
Rubio is taking pot shots at an ex-wrestler? Why would you deliberately take pot shot at retired wrestlers 3 times your size? Is he trying to get beat up? Is he anticipating this and trying to bank some sympathy vote? Dude, seriously, don't encourage any more loud people to go out and support Trump and mock you.

link?

Cheebo

Banned
I do think the key lesson of the 2016 democratic primary will be if you as a candidate are unable to connect and relate to a large segment of the minority vote you will never win the Democratic nomination.

I didn't argue it mirrors her. I argued that it's nowhere near the complete domination that you've consistently argued that it is.

It is complete domination. The under 30 segment of the electorate is pretty inconsequential and not a demographic one should ever hang their hat on. They don't show up to vote. Just ask Bernie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom