• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

Damn. He's Ron Paul then Ted Cruz then Trump and now Jeb Bush? According to you guys, Bernie is the most schizophrenic guy in the race today.

He's got the obnoxious followers of Ron Paul, the campaign tactics of Ted Cruz, the policy depth of Donald Trump, and the obsession with money of Jeb Bush.

A loathsome political specimen to be sure.

He has the support base of Ron Paul, the demographic challenges of Ted Cruz, the anti-establishment appeal of Trump, and the money-wasting capabilities of Jeb!

Bernie's a mess.

*horn*

Tsk, beat me.

onipex

I LOVE that Bernie is outspending Clinton and getting jack shit for it. He's spending four times as much as Trump with a fraction of the results.

He wanted to prove that money equals votes. He was wrong.

The Jeb Bush of the left.

What a mess. What a waste. What a big fat mess.

Well Bernie is fighting to show that the biggest spender shouldn't be able to buy an election so he is on track to reach his goal.

Ekai

Jeb Bush is definitely pushing it but the others? Yeah I can see it.

I really don't see it. The Ron Paul base argument diminishes why people like him and his positions. It compares the two as politicians when they're quite different.

The Cruz argument also doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and it seems people can't even agree on what it is about him that is similar to Cruz in the first place. One argument relies on diminishing what he has accomplished as far as delegates go (and relies on pre-emptively counting superdelegates for Hillary. I am not arguing he is doing amazingly but outside of SC he's done better than people consistently claim) and the other argument regarding campaign tactics also just echos as a hollow repetition of random buzzwords. The two don't operate all that similarly.

The Drumpf thing only makes sense in that they're both "anti-establishment" but beyond that they're two wholly different entities. Similar to the Ron Paul thing regarding them being completely different politicians.

All of these comparisons just read as Hillary supporters continuing to want to insult Bernie ones when both candidates are more or less similar in most regards.

Cerium

The Cruz argument also doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and it seems people can't even agree on what it is about him that is similar to Cruz in the first place.
Bernie faking endorsements from AARP and other organizations.
Bernie breaching and stealing Hillary's voter database.
Bernie faking an endorsement from Elizabeth Warren.
Bernie staffers impersonating union members in Nevada.

If anything it's an insult to Ted Cruz, who has shown much more integrity in his campaign.

BERNIE FOR PRISON 2016!

Tesseract

Banned
If Florida is that important, Hillary is dead

And re: Bernie's spending, it's not about how much. It's where the money comes from, and what its intentions are.

Cerium

If Florida is that important, Hillary is dead

giphy.gif

Ekai

-The Clinton Voter Data thing isn't really much of any breach of anything. It harkens to the playing field that the DNC themselves put forth. I thought that nonsense was addressed months ago.
-The NYT article has no connection to Bernie claiming himself that Warren endorsed him.
-The logo and union thing are the only points you really have to make here and even then if we're going to go back and forth on gotchas I could cynically discuss Hillary and her lack of trustworthiness regarding issue after issue but I'm not going to bother as that goes nowhere and is ultimately pointless. I could also go on about how she's lied on her past positions and various other claims of endorsement and other controversials matters regarding her campaign but it really would go nowhere and I'm not one who likes beating people down when there's no need to.

Cerium

-The Clinton Voter Data thing isn't really much of any breach of anything. It harkens to the playing field that the DNC themselves put forth. I thought that nonsense was addressed months ago.

If it's nonsense why did Bernie have to fire his data director?

Your messiah is a crook and voters aren't buying what he's selling.

Zornack

And re: Bernie's spending, it's not about how much. It's where the money comes from, and what its intentions are.

We've had two candidates prove that a big bankroll isn't enough to get the nomination. Politicians aren't as reliant on contributions from corporations as Bernie wants you to believe.

Ekai

If it's nonsense why did Bernie have to fire his data director?

Your messiah is a crook and voters aren't buying what he's selling.

It's Bernie appeasing DNC, frankly.

I could say the same regarding Hillary in some matters, to be frank, but it wouldn't be wholly true either. This belief you push that he's a crook is laughably false. But keep on insulting Bernie and his supporters, literally people who want many similar things. It's working wonders for your argumentative posts and talking points.

I really don't see it. The Ron Paul base argument diminishes why people like him and his positions. It compares the two as politicians when they're quite different.

The Cruz argument also doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and it seems people can't even agree on what it is about him that is similar to Cruz in the first place.

The Drumpf thing only makes sense in that they're both "anti-establishment" but beyond that they're two wholly different entities. Similar to the Ron Paul thing.

They're all reductionist and tangential comparisons that don't make sense under even the slightest scrutiny. I can just understand why someone would make those comparisons.

Paul/Sanders = old guys with a particular strength with youth. Popular on Reddit and social media.

Cruz/Sanders = As right/left as possible as the Overton window allows. There aren't many positions that they're moderate on(that weren't abandoned for the presidential campaign)

Trump/Sanders= Anti-establishment populists that are strong with disaffected blue-collar/working-class whites.

Honestly you could probably stretch a comparison for any pair.

That's unavoidable, you have to play the game when your opponent is corporate media's darling. Better to do it the honest way, all the way to the top.
Well, we all said the same thing when Obama accepted SuperPac money to go against Mitt Romney in 2012!

See? Bernie can be bent. Truth can be adjusted!

Ekai

They're all reductionist and tangential comparisons that don't make sense under even the slightest scrutiny. I can just understand why someone would make those comparisons.

Paul/Sanders = old guys with a particular strength with youth. Popular on Reddit and social media.

Cruz/Sanders = As right/left as possible as the Overton window allows. There aren't many positions that they're moderate on(that weren't abandoned for the presidential campaign)

Drumpf/Sanders= Anti-establishment populists that are strong with disaffected blue-collar/working-class whites.

Honestly you could probably stretch a comparison for any pair.

These stretches make sense. But as you said they don't under the slightest of scrutiny.

Yeah man, Bernie Sanders is the most corrupt person in congress...

I no, right?

-The NYT article has no connection to Bernie claiming himself that Warren endorsed him.
-The logo and union thing are the only points you really have to make here and even then if we're going to go back and forth on gotchas I could cynically discuss Hillary and her lack of trustworthiness regarding issue after issue but I'm not going to bother as that goes nowhere and is ultimately pointless. I could also go on about how she's lied on her past positions and various other claims of endorsement and other controversials matters regarding her campaign but it really would go nowhere and I'm not one who likes beating people down when there's no need to.

The priest that steals a loaf of bread looks worse than the criminals who robs an armored truck.

WASHINGTON—In an effort to counter the real estate magnate’s rapidly growing lead in the delegate count, GOP statisticians announced Wednesday they had successfully developed an entirely new branch of mathematics for formulating scenarios in which Donald Trump does not win the Republican Party’s presidential nomination. “By expanding on pioneering work in the fields of applied statistics, higher-order logic, and number theory, we’ve arrived at a new branch of mathematics that provides for a multitude of feasible outcomes in which Donald Trump is not the 2016 GOP nominee,” said Dr. Jeffrey Larson, who has led a team of more than 30 statisticians who have been working around the clock at RNC headquarters to establish new mathematical properties since the wealthy businessman won the New Hampshire primary by a 20-point margin. “The new field required several breakthroughs on the manipulation of Boole’s inequality principle, and some of our models are still only predictive within certain artificial stochastic conditions. However, this new discipline of Nonlinear Computational Probability finally establishes a practicable methodology by which there exist possible paths to the nomination for Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz.” At press time, Larson announced the team had devised a new method of abstraction and mathematical induction in which lower numbers have a greater numerical value than their higher counterparts.

http://www.theonion.com/article/gop-statisticians-develop-new-branch-math-formulat-52463

LOL, too good.

dakini

Living in Nebraska, the presidential election usually passes us by but Chelsea Clinton was here Monday, Bernie's coming tomorrow, and it was just announced that Bill Clinton will be in town on Friday. Hoping I can get Friday off to see Bill.

A trite joke that has been harped on non-stop and directed at demeaning people who are very similar politically.
Can I give you a piece of free advice? If you want to discuss politics learn to laugh at yourself. Planting a flag on every mountain is going to bern you out. Learn to laugh at the idiocy that surrounds politics, left right and center, and it's a lot more fun. Oh and drink. Drinking helps everything.

Gruco

Banned
OK. I've decided. Voting in the Democratic Primary in MI for Hills. Cenk talked me into it.

Sorry to disappoint, Trump enthusiasts.

Also, don't think I posted this, but: voted in the Democratic primary in OH for Clinton, and I may have convinced every other Democrat in my family to do so.

(That's two votes in OH-3 and three in OH-11. Not much, but...)

Cerium

OK. I've decided. Voting in the Democratic Primary in MI for Hills. Cenk talked me into it.

Sorry to disappoint, Trump enthusiasts.

Also, don't think I posted this, but: voted in the Democratic primary in OH for Clinton, and I may have convinced every other Democrat in my family to do so.

(That's two votes in OH-3 and three in OH-11. Not much, but...)

Thanks guys. Finally we'll show big spender Bernie that he can't buy this election!

But this alliance now seems to be over. According to three Fox sources, Fox chief Roger Ailes has told people he's lost confidence in Rubio's ability to win. "We're finished with Rubio," Ailes recently told a Fox host. "We can't do the Rubio thing anymore."

Already, there are on-air signs that Fox's attitude toward Rubio has cooled. This morning, anchor Martha MacCallum grilled Rubio about his poor Super Tuesday performance. "Is that a viable excuse at this point?" she asked, when he tried spinning his second-place finish in Virginia.

Ailes is now back to searching for a candidate the channel can rally behind. "He's thinking, What do we do about the whole damn thing?" one of the news executive's friends said.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/marco-rubio-just-lost-fox-news.html

Fox News to Rubio: Go home Rubio, you're drunk.

Murdoch has been doing the gravitate-to-Trump thing for a bit, his fake-news enterprise is now catching up.

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch Feb 28
Both "establishment" Republicans and Trump need to cool it and close ranks to fight real enemy. Trump, Rubio, Kasich could all win general.

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch 2 hours ago
As predicted, Trump reaching out to make peace with Republican "establishment". If he becomes inevitable party would be mad not to unify.

Ekai

Can I give you a piece of free advice? If you want to discuss politics learn to laugh at yourself. Planting a flag on every mountain is going to bern you out. Learn to laugh at the idiocy that surrounds politics, left right and center, and it's a lot more fun. Oh and drink. Drinking helps everything.

Free advice? Hand-outs? You support hand-outs? What a taker-endorser. What a mess. Advice should be sold, not just handed out. It's a new business venture that hasn't been explored yet. I'm gonna start that up. It's gonna be great.

I have a sense of humor about politics. What I don't have a sense of humor about is constant defamation of those who are similarly minded. I never really cared for insult-comics. It doesn't read as wry humor to me. There's other forms of humor out there. Daily Show, for example, does a far better job displaying what wit regarding politics can look like than what I've seen and experienced here, elsewhere online and in real life. Not saying these "jokes" can't be made but the constant repetition and claims of fact regarding these insults make them read less like jokes and more like a bully beating a dead horse.

You advice is fine, it's something I already have a grasp of but it's fine. It just doesn't ring with what I've seen said of Bernie supporters.

Also, I only drink ciders or like screwdrivers. And I have to do them slowly. Can't stand the taste of alcohol. : p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom