• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubenov

Cruz proving once again the slimy, nasty snake he is. He co-opts Marco to attack Trump, then turns on Marco when Marco looks weak.

I heard him insinuate this during the debate yesterday... something along the lines of if you don't want Trump to become President, even if you're supporting others you should really support him.

Cruz will backstab anyone to get what he wants. One of the reasons I assume why he has no friends.

I know this is politics but his nastiness is just too transparent.

Sounds like you either need Trump to make america great again or for Bernie to stage a political revolution. It's the only way to turn your life around.
Unfortunately for you i blocked you for swinging delegates to hillary so I cannot read your undoubtedly supportive message

Btw this was a joke, for people too stupid to get it

Rubenov

"Cruz is also expected to highlight his Cuban American heritage in Miami, where his campaign has been putting surrogates on Spanish-language television."

Ah c'mon Cruz is more Canadian than Cuban. The only hispanic thing he has is the last name.

benjipwns

Banned
So, I've got a dumb question. Who are the delegates? Like, delegates decide the nominee at the convention. I know Super delegates are party higher-ups. What about the rest? Like, when Trump gets 50 delegates from South Carolina, who is actually showing up to vote? Is it standard GOP guys who are voting for Trump out of obligation because he won, but otherwise have no loyalty to him? Or does he get to pick and send 50 people who will do whatever he says?
They're volunteers/activists/staffers/donors/etc. tied to either the state/local party who generally support the candidate. (Essentially, the campaign will provide a list of them. Since they're generally elected on a slate rather than individually, but even in the latter case it's often "stand-in to be named later for Trump" or something.)

"Bound" delegates are required to vote for the candidate they're bound to, say Rubio, but usually only for the first ballot nowdays. Especially since conventions never go past a first ballot. Theoretically, if that first ballot doesn't provide a winner, they could then become an unbound from Rubio or whoever to vote for Romney or whatever the hell. (This would depend on their state party rules.)

I've talked about 1952, but it was a great example because there would have been a brokered convention between Taft, Eisenhower and all the middling candidates after the first ballot. But Dewey and Cabot Lodge Jr. got a few states worth of Taft delegates thrown out and replaced with Eisenhower ones, which gave Eisenhower a slight majority and Taft conceded and endorsed Eisenhower.

The Blaze article on how to become one: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...gate-heres-a-primer-on-the-selection-process/

And here's a GOPer talking about going to the RNC as a delegate for Goldwater and Reagan in the 1960s: http://www.redstate.com/diary/Morton_C_Blackwell/2015/04/13/want-national-convention-delegate/

Wait, so Cruz is going to try and throw both Rubio in Florida and Kasich in Ohio, thus gaining Trump a SHIT-TON of delegates since he's ahead of Cruz in both states, and he thinks that this will somehow get him closer to the nomination?

lol

johnsmith

remember me
Lyin' Ted really is a nasty guy, NASTY guy.

NASTY
bPcsaiO.gif

Wait, so Cruz is going to try and throw both Rubio in Florida and Kasich in Ohio, thus gaining Trump a SHIT-TON of delegates since he's ahead of Cruz in both states, and he thinks that this will somehow get him closer to the nomination?

lol

It actually does if he can knock out Kasich and Rubio. He wouldn't beat Trump one-on-one but he'd have better odds there than in the current field of 4. Cruz actually has to try to win this, unlike others a contested convention does him no good.

Not feeling good about Trump's chances tomorrow. Caucuses hurt him
It doesn't really matter, they are proportional states that don't favor the winner all that much. No one is getting a big delegate haul. Actually the biggest potential prize is for Rubio in Puerto Rico.

lol

I'm convinced Cruz is now trying to throw the nomination for Trump. Either to get the VP spot or to ensure that the field is clear for him to run again in 2020.

I think the next GOP one will need to step it up to top the last one from what I've read.

Someone probably needs to defecate on stage. Probably Cruz. And maybe Rubio can have sex with his cheerleader wife on live TV to dispel his gay rumours.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the next GOP one will need to step it up to top the last one from what I've read.

Someone probably needs to defecate on stage. Probably Cruz. And maybe Rubio can have sex with his cheerleader wife on live TV to dispel his gay rumours.

Trump needs to pull out his penis and put it on the moderator's table as well.

Bowdz

lol

Unfuckingreal.

It will be game over if Trump wins Ohio and Florida. There is nothing Cruz can do at that point not to mention that Trump is beating Cruz pretty badly in head to heads according to the recent Bloomberg poll.

It actually does if he can knock out Kasich and Rubio. He wouldn't beat Trump one-on-one but he'd have better odds there than in the current field of 4. Cruz actually has to try to win this, unlike others a contested convention does him no good.

Except Cruz is assuming that he would pick up all the Kasich and Rubio voters, when a lot of them probably will just stay home if their options are Big Don and Lyin' Ted, not to mention Trump will get at least SOME of those voters and is far enough ahead of Cruz that he doesn't have to gain too many of them to remain ahead.

Granted, Cruz doesn't give a shit about much other than himself, but it's no wonder he's hated by his colleagues when he seemingly would rather a Trump candidacy than a brokered convention with Rubio, Romney, or Kasich as the nominee.

They're volunteers/activists/staffers/donors/etc. tied to either the state/local party who generally support the candidate. (Essentially, the campaign will provide a list of them. Since they're generally elected on a slate rather than individually, but even in the latter case it's often "stand-in to be named later for Trump" or something.)

"Bound" delegates are required to vote for the candidate they're bound to, say Rubio, but usually only for the first ballot nowdays. Especially since conventions never go past a first ballot. Theoretically, if that first ballot doesn't provide a winner, they could then become an unbound from Rubio or whoever to vote for Romney or whatever the hell. (This would depend on their state party rules.)

I've talked about 1952, but it was a great example because there would have been a brokered convention between Taft, Eisenhower and all the middling candidates after the first ballot. But Dewey and Cabot Lodge Jr. got a few states worth of Taft delegates thrown out and replaced with Eisenhower ones, which gave Eisenhower a slight majority and Taft conceded and endorsed Eisenhower.

The Blaze article on how to become one: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...gate-heres-a-primer-on-the-selection-process/

And here's a GOPer talking about going to the RNC as a delegate for Goldwater and Reagan in the 1960s: http://www.redstate.com/diary/Morton_C_Blackwell/2015/04/13/want-national-convention-delegate/

That's awesome, man. Thanks for the info. Now I want to become a delegate and get in on this action.

Except Cruz is assuming that he would pick up all the Kasich and Rubio voters, when a lot of them probably will just stay home if their options are Big Don and Lyin' Ted, not to mention Trump will get at least SOME of those voters and is far enough ahead of Cruz that he doesn't have to gain too many of them to remain ahead.

He doesn't even need to make that assumption to see that his odds would be better in a two man race than a four man race. Cruz is in a poor position, he doesn't have a wealth of great options here. There's no reason for him to work towards a contested convention.

Bowdz

I'm convinced Cruz is now trying to throw the nomination for Trump. Either to get the VP spot or to ensure that the field is clear for him to run again in 2020.

God let's hope so.

Imagine the GOP still not learning their lesson after this election and have Cruz pull his real conservative shit in 2020. They will lose just as badly if they don't fix their hispanic problem.

Cruz's strategy for Florida is worthless because there's over 400k early votes already. Even if he convinced Rubio and kasich voters to go his way, too many people wasted their vote by then.

Cruz's strategy for Florida is worthless because there's over 400k early votes already. Even if he convinced Rubio and kasich voters to go his way, too many people wasted their vote by then.

He's not trying to win either state, he's trying to take enough voters from Rubio and Kasich so that they lose and hopefully drop out. The problem with his strategy is that Rubio is probably staying in anyway.

I wonder if this primary will get the RNC thinking about a Single Transferrable Vote system (let's you retroactively consolidate against a Trump, particularly if you apply it to bound delegates of drop outs).

danm999

I wonder if this primary will get the RNC thinking about a Single Transferrable Vote system (let's you retroactively consolidate against a Trump, particularly if you apply it to bound delegates of drop outs).

I doubt they would. They seem convinced Trump is just a nasty flash in the pan that will go away.

That could just as easily work against them in the future. Most of the time the frontrunner is who the RNC wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom