• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Why did Rubio mention again that he inherited 200 million dollars? Trump only inherited a million, no?

How are you able to lie like that?

its a move right out of Trump's playbook. You exaggerate and get your opponent caught up n arguing the details -- and trump fell for it by arguing he only inherited $1M

If Trump keeps calling Rubio "boy" I hope Trump gets punched in the face by someone soon. Cut that fucking shit out, loser.

I can't believe Cruz responded to Trump saying "well, I don't like abortions, but you have to admit, the cancer screenings and everything else PP does is pretty terrific." with "I think all things PP does are bad!"

Who is this appealing to? What Republican is pro cervical cancer and pro people dying in the streets? Other than Ted Cruz I mean.

While calling anyone "boy" is distasteful, the smile on rubio's face after "you just repeated yourself" comment to trump made him look like a young guy on a debate team who just "finally landed a hit on the good debate team" was horrible optics from a viewer. He actually looked childish.

Slacker

I can't imagine last night's shitshow helped anyone. Anyone saying "Yeah Rubio crushed it!" were likely Rubio supporters to begin with. Rubio should have gone hard at Teddy Cruz, someone he could actually stump. Instead we have yet another night where it looks like it's everyone vs. Trump, which will make his devoted fans love him even more.

Where the hell was this Rubio for the past several months? It took until 4 days before Super Tuesday to actually go after Trump? And it's rough! Pretty much all-in attacks! Accusing the front-running of being a con artist is brutal! That rally just now was nasty, but conveyed power he's been completely lacking. Trump's response should be amusing. He's having another "news conference" like he had for other candidates that gave him shit where he completely wrecked them.

But... The Rubio campaign still fails to understand that he's speaking to reach out to an audience that doesn't give a shit about most of that. They don't give a shit about executive orders or "strict interpretation" of the Constitution. None of the stuff Rubio centers his stump speech around. People who support their candidate even harder when the Establishment guy gets mean, because it means they're scared.

He's addressing different demographics. There are a finite number of voters that care about that stuff in a generic stump speech. They want someone "who tells it like it is." People who don't particularly give a shit about the social policies, because they're much more in line with popular majorities of Americans. The target voters of Rubio (and Cruz) are aimed at a progressively shrinking minority of voters and are making zero effort to go after people far more persuadable. It's the same as that Tea Party crap. Astroturfing excitement in an extremely vocal minority to try to project power. Failure to recognize reality. Ironically, these people are the ones that the GOP should be targeting to grow the party and in that regard Trump is sort of doing them a favor.

...Wow I need to stop going on GAF when I have manic episodes.

While calling anyone "boy" is distasteful, the smile on rubio's face after "you just repeated yourself" comment to trump made him look like a young guy on a debate team who just "finally landed a hit on the good debate team" was horrible optics from a viewer. He actually looked childish.

Yeah he looked like a baby. That high-pitched, whiny, somewhat monotone voice combined with his awkward speaking cadence makes him come off very annoying too.

It will, it's the best strategy for him. He's not too bad at it either.

Big risk that I don't think will because it will give time to Trump to respond. If ST was today, yeah would've helped.

Rubio has a LOT of baggage to get hit on from immigration to abandoning his Senate position/votes to those polls of Floridians saying they don't like him to being only able to do pre-selected statements that sound good but have no substance if questioned outside of them.

CcJ2Fo0UsAAnsCJ.jpg:large

lmao

Bronx-Man

Banned
Kinda funny to see Bernie stans say that the Dems are doomed if Hillary is the nominee while the GOP is saying the same thing about Trump.

I can't imagine last night's shitshow helped anyone. Anyone saying "Yeah Rubio crushed it!" were likely Rubio supporters to begin with. Rubio should have gone hard at Teddy Cruz, someone he could actually stump. Instead we have yet another night where it looks like it's everyone vs. Trump, which will make his devoted fans love him even more.

Ted Cruz was more damaged than Rubio gained...which in the big picture helps Trump as any decline in Cruz would help Trump with votes more than Rubio.

Kinda funny to see Bernie stans say that the Dems are doomed if Hillary is the nominee while the GOP is saying the same thing about Trump.

The only people saying that about Hillary make it sound like this is their first election.

The people who say it about Trump are using conventional wisdom, which may or may not mean anything.

PBY

Banned
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 21s21 seconds ago
Lightweight Marco Rubio was working hard last night. The problem is, he is a choker, and once a choker, always a choker! Mr. Meltdown.

welp

Bernie has topped out. He got as far as he can on the single message and now that the optics of other views is honestly hurting him almost daily (See Putin comment), he basically has hit a ceiling if not in a short downward trend.

He peaked a few weeks too early since ST is next week. Plus at the pace he spends cash if things don't go well to keep up his donation wave, things will get even tougher.

User 406

Banned
I think I get what he was going for.

He doesn't support Planned Parenthood because they do abortions, however, he acknowledges that they do far, far more than abortions.

So....I have no idea where that leaves him, to be honest.

It leaves him in the standard Trump spot. "I love them, they love me, they're fantastic, but they're rapists, and we're going to build a wall."

It seems to me that Trump's "I love them" disclaimers are his equivalent of the "I'm not racist, but".

Add to that PPP saying Hillary is doing better in MA/TX/GA/VA and I'm fucking feeling the Hill tonight.

I mean besides posting polls gifs of Lana del Rey policy discussions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

Good god. We're really close to Idiocracy here, folks. I mean, really fucking close.

PPP needs to put a question about burrito coverins in their next poll.

So who will Fox root for in the General, Hillary or Trump?

Because talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place

One thing's for sure, Megyn Kelly is going to pull the lever for Hillary so hard it'll snap off. A Trump presidency would be a living nightmare for her. And come to think of it, considering how Trump can't let go of even the smallest grudge, I have to wonder how he might abuse the powers of the presidency to take petty revenge.

And the idea that Trump will try to run it up with Whites and alienate every other demographic in some sort of race war type shit will just horrify any reasonable person, regardless of race. That shit won't fly in 2016. This isn't 84.

Well yeah, but that's what he's actually doing. His "policy" planks diverge wildly from party orthodoxy, his bonafides as a conservative are trash, and his voters just don't give a shit. Clearly they couldn't give a rat's ass about all the dumb economic crap the GOP promotes, but they obviously do care a whole lot about the racist shit Trump is peddling. White supremacist groups have been voicing their full throated endorsements of him, and David fuckin' Duke proclaimed that anyone
white
who doesn't vote for Trump is a race traitor. The only consistent part of his platform is white resentment and xenophobia, and that's why he's winning the Dixiecrat vote lock stock and barrel.

Also Rubio has crossed the line I've wondered about. You can't call someone unqualified to be president and a con artist and then campaign for him because he's the nominee.

For that matter, can Bernie credibly endorse or support Hillary now? While he started off emphasizing that a Republican mustn't win, he's also pushed hard on the idea that the entire Democratic establishment and Hillary in particular are utterly corrupt and bad for America. I don't think the raw numbers of left leaning voters that will buy into this to the point that they won't vote Democratic will be at all significant, but it's still a pretty bad reversal.

Interesting that the shift in the white vote happens to coincide with the Civil Rights Act.

Yeah, funny about that.

Ekai

Bernie has topped out. He got as far as he can on the single message and now that the optics of other views is honestly hurting him almost daily (See Putin comment), he basically has hit a ceiling if not in a short downward trend.

He peaked a few weeks too early since ST is next week. Plus at the pace he spends cash if things don't go well to keep up his donation wave, things will get even tougher.

@Bolded: I'll leave this here. This too.

HylianTom

Banned
Lightweight Marco Rubio was working hard last night. The problem is, he is a choker, and once a choker, always a choker! Mr. Meltdown.

welp
To build off of an idea that Ralston put forth this morning: that tweet (and others from Trump) will probably be seen by more people - either in its original form or repeated on TV/online/etc - than most of Rubio's good moments last night.

Bronx-Man

Banned

welp
This is the republican candidate for the White House. Quite a fall from the days of Eisenhower.

PBY

Banned
This is the republican candidate for the White House. Quite a fall from the days of Eisenhower.

I mean... look at fucking Rubio too
“He called me Mr. Meltdown. Let me tell you something, last night in the debate during one of the breaks, two of the breaks, he went backstage and he was having a meltdown,” Rubio claimed. ”First he had one of those makeup things applying around his mustache because he had one of those sweat mustaches. Then, then he asked for a full length mirror, I don’t know why because the podium goes up to here (gestures to stomach). I don’t know why maybe to make sure his pants weren’t wet.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-...-donald-trump-con-artist-219843#ixzz41IFY7nVh

Bernie's answer to the Putin question is nearly the same defense Palin used to pretend she had foreign policy experience. Can Bernie see Russia from his house too?

“He called me Mr. Meltdown. Let me tell you something, last night in the debate during one of the breaks, two of the breaks, he went backstage and he was having a meltdown,” Rubio claimed. ”First he had one of those makeup things applying around his mustache because he had one of those sweat mustaches. Then, then he asked for a full length mirror, I don’t know why because the podium goes up to here (gestures to stomach). I don’t know why maybe to make sure his pants weren’t wet.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-...-donald-trump-con-artist-219843#ixzz41IFY7nVh

Hehe. That's pretty good.

Rubio is doing this well, you guys are underestimating him again.

@Bolded: I'll leave this here. This too.
No one doubts Bernie knows there are other issues. Where many of us question him is in his rather amazing ability to magically tie things like ISIS and everything else back to millionaires, billionaires and Wall Street. He seems to lack a basic understanding of intersectionality.

American politics in 2016.

How the hell did we get to this point? Nothing makes sense anymore.

It just goes to show you the rnc didn't hate Trump for the things he says, because Rubio is doing it now. They hate him for not being beholden to corporations or military contracts.

Holmes

I hope Clinton doesn't stoop to this level against Trump in the general. It's a bad look for Rubio, but it is the Republican primary after all.

PBY

Banned
I don't think cartoon_soldier was addressing the person freaking out nonstop.

Word. I mean, in the end I'm not actually "freaking" - we're in this bubble and its fun to let yourself get carried away and ride this rollercoaster. I am legitimately concerned that a Rubio swing is happening though, I've been fearing this since SC, not sure one debate moves a needle that much.

Ekai

No one doubts Bernie knows there are other issues. Where many of us question him is in his rather amazing ability to magically tie things like ISIS and everything else back to millionaires, billionaires and Wall Street. He seems to lack a basic understanding of intersectionality.

From the behavior of some of you, I consistently get the feeling some of you guys aren't aware of his views and action he would take on other issues. Even when it's consistently right there in his speeches too. If you can't even follow or read the contents within a direct link then there's no conversation to be had here. You just want to repeat your slander/lies, I guess.

Nina Turner makes a good point in the second link. Paraphased: "They keep saying our candidate is a one-issue candidate. He is a one issue candidate, his issue is the citizens of the United States of America. I'll take a one issue, you are the issue."

Word. I mean, in the end I'm not actually "freaking" - we're in this bubble and its fun to let yourself get carried away and ride this rollercoaster. I am legitimately concerned that a Rubio swing is happening though, I've been fearing this since SC, not sure one debate moves a needle that much.
The thing is you're being rational. Support for Trump is not rational. If he were any other candidate, last night could have done some real damage. I think this is why we never see Trump win late deciders. His people just want him, and I think it's for the lolz. There is no pattern to his support. He did nothing last night to know the needle the 20 points or so it's needed to go to really hurt him on Tuesday.

User 406

Banned
I hope Clinton doesn't stoop to this level against Trump in the general. It's a bad look for Rubio, but it is the Republican primary after all.

Why would she? Rubio is competing with Trump for a Republican primary electorate, and none of the standard GOP arguments are working, so fighting fire with fire is all he's got. Hillary's going to be attacking from the left.

Iolo

Rubio seems to take everything to extremes. First it was an extreme of caution: repeating himself 5 times in the debate. Now it's extreme attack mode: dumping 10 attacks at once during yesterday's debate; today calling Trump a pants-pisser con artist.

He also talks like he's on Adderall (or as someone said on Twitter, as if he was scripted by Amy Sherman Palladino).

Should he become the nominee it will be possible to bait him into stumbling terribly.

Rubio seems to take everything to extremes. First it was an extreme of caution: repeating himself 5 times in the debate. Now it's extreme attack mode: dumping 10 attacks at once during yesterday's debate; today calling Trump a pants-pisser con artist.

He also talks like he's on Adderall (or as someone said on Twitter, as if he was scripted by Amy Sherman Palladino).

Should he become the nominee it will be possible to bait him into stumbling terribly.

That's the problem with him. He's like Sarah Palin. Everything has to be scripted (like his attacks) or it comes off very poorly. A seasoned debater like Obama, Biden, and probably Hillary could take him on and make him look like a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom