• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I never actually watched the airhorn videos until just now. Pretty amazing. The best part is that they capture the cinematic truth of the scene.

HylianTom

Banned
Rubio staying below 20 in Texas would be golden. Don't care who wins the state.
I'm ambivalent about GOP Texas outcome as well. Cruz winning would mean that he stays in and remains in place to divide the antiTrump vote (and he'd likely not hit that crucial 50% mark where he wins the state's delegates outright). Trump winning would net him a nice chunk of delegates, momentum, and headlines, with the trade-off being that Rubio gets his one-on-one contest. If he wins on Tuesday, I could see the "he's invincible!*" narrative gain strength.

*in the primary contest

PBY

Banned
Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
Leightweight chocker Marco Rubio looks like a little boy on stage. Not presidential material!

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 51m51 minutes ago
Why would the people of Florida vote for Marco Rubio when he defrauded them by agreeing to represent them as their Senator and then quit!

Bowdz

‏@realDonaldTrump
Leightweight chocker Marco Rubio looks like a little boy on stage. Not presidential material!

Lmao, here we go. Trump's going to unload on Robo Rubio for the next few days.

Grief.exe

Two back to back GOP debates that were great entertainment from a shallow perspective, but also absolutely embarrassing and sickening when you consider the implications.

I wish Republican economics would get more air time, they are legitimately damaging especially in a down market.

Why are liberals afraid of Rubio? Being able to beat Donald Trump in a debate doesn't qualify someone as a political juggernaut. Mitt Romney could destroy Trump in a debate too.

Also Rubio has crossed the line I've wondered about. You can't call someone unqualified to be president and a con artist and then campaign for him because he's the nominee. If Trump wins I'd expect many establishment people not to endorse or support him. The Bushes, Romney, McCain, etc aren't going to line up behind that man. It would be very interesting to see what the republican national convention would look like with Trump as the nominee. Who will be the prime time speakers? Who will be in the audience?

Why are liberals afraid of Rubio? Being able to beat Donald Trump in a debate doesn't qualify someone as a political juggernaut. Mitt Romney could destroy Trump in a debate too.

Also Rubio has crossed the line I've wondered about. You can't call someone unqualified to be president and a con artist and then campaign for him because he's the nominee. If Trump wins I'd expect many establishment people not to endorse or support him. The Bushes, Romney, McCain, etc aren't going to line up behind that man. It would be very interesting to see what the republican national convention would look like with Trump as the nominee. Who will be the prime time speakers? Who will be in the audience?

I think they will grin and bear it.

If we have any Delaware PoliGAF people, today is the last day to switch party affiliation before the primary. You must be a registered Democrat or Republican to participate in either primary.

Grief.exe

The bolded matters less than you think. The last Democrat to win a majority of the white vote was Johnson in 1964.

So Democrats have been underwater with whites for 50 years, no reason to expect that would change with Clinton v. Trump.

That's a very interesting statistic.

I wonder how that will shift moving forward as the older generations die off, the younger generation swings to the left statistically

If we have any Delaware PoliGAF people, today is the last day to switch party affiliation before the primary. You must be a registered Democrat or Republican to participate in either primary.

In Colorado, you had to register before January 1st, which is odd considering we are one of the more progressive states in terms of voting rights (no voter ID laws, mail in ballots, online registration).

I think they will grin and bear it.

Nah, I think you'll see some republicans totally silent about Trump. I wouldn't be surprised if they toss someone out for an independent run, just so they can so they weren't part of the Trump train wreck when 2020 comes along. I think "I hit the campaign trail for Trump" will be to the GOP what "I voted for the war in Iraq" is to dems.

That's a very interesting statistic.

I wonder how that will shift moving forward as the older generations die off, the younger generation swings to the left statistically

Yep. If the 2012 demographics hold in 2016 (and with further shifts, this will be the least-white electorate of all time), the Republican candidate will either need to find more support in non-white voters than Bush, Romney, or McCain did or increase their percentage of white voters to a ridiculous degree. Trump may do the latter (though it would be very difficult) but he is doing the exact opposite of the former.

Yep. If the 2012 demographics hold in 2016 (and with further shifts, this will be the least-white electorate of all time), the Republican candidate will either need to find more support in non-white voters or increase their percentage of white voters to a ridiculous degree. Trump may do the latter (though it would be very difficult) but he is doing the exact opposite of the former.

I really don't think he will. White people love being Not a Racist™.

Grief.exe

Yep. If the 2012 demographics hold in 2016 (and with further shifts, this will be the least-white electorate of all time), the Republican candidate will either need to find more support in non-white voters than Bush, Romney, or McCain did or increase their percentage of white voters to a ridiculous degree. Trump may do the latter (though it would be very difficult) but he is doing the exact opposite of the former.

Which is why GOP is pushing Voter ID laws and extreme immigration reform.

Prologue

Why did Rubio mention again that he inherited 200 million dollars? Trump only inherited a million, no?

How are you able to lie like that?

Hammer24

Banned

Prologue

That's usually one's cue to chillax on following politics for a week, mate.

If you know you ain't gonna get called on it, why wouldn't you?

when you make a deal with cruz you get part of his lying skills.

I can't believe this event is going the way it is. Reading twitter, ect, talking about an immigrant writing Trump's tweets.

How embarrassing. What the hell is going on? What a weasel. How is that even an attractive trait of a person, yet a lot a future president?

gcubed

You aren't going to get people to switch from Trump with attacking him, I'm sure it just emboldens him.

You think people are going to go "oh shit! Trump had bankruptcies?!" and switch?

PBY

Banned
‏@realDonaldTrump
Will be at Fort Worth (Texas) Convention Center at 11:30 A.M. Big crowd - get there early! Big announcement to be made!

???

Interesting that the shift in the white vote happens to coincide with the Civil Rights Act.

That's almost exactly what happened. Nixon's southern strategy emboldened it, meanwhile the majority of non-white vote shifted to the Democratic Party. Within the last 10-15 years, it became not enough to win the white vote. Romney won the same amount of white vote as George HW Bush did.

HylianTom

Banned
‏@realDonaldTrump
Will be at Fort Worth (Texas) Convention Center at 11:30 A.M. Big crowd - get there early! Big announcement to be made!

???
If it truly is big, it's his way of stealing a positive headline before Hillary and Bernie take-over the headlines on Saturday. Marco's good night will have gotten one morning of good coverage, and then he shimmies us over onto the next Trumpy Thing.

‏@realDonaldTrump

???

One more step beyond the pale and he'll steal back all of the attention from Rubio and win the nomination.

Nah, I think you'll see some republicans totally silent about Trump. I wouldn't be surprised if they toss someone out for an independent run, just so they can so they weren't part of the Trump train wreck when 2020 comes along. I think "I hit the campaign trail for Trump" will be to the GOP what "I voted for the war in Iraq" is to dems.

The Dilemma of Conservatives Who Say They’ll Never Vote for Donald Trump

The strongest resistance to Trump comes from the foreign-policy establishment of the Republican Party. Bill Kristol, the editor of The Weekly Standard, which is best known for its advocacy of a hyper-interventionist foreign policy, told me that there was no chance he would ever back Trump. “I’ve been Sherman-esque—and more!,” he said in an e-mail, “since I’ve said I would try to recruit a real conservative to run as a fourth (Bloomberg being the 3rd) party candidate.” He added (without irony, I think) that “Dick Cheney-Tom Cotton would be the ideal ticket, but am working on others that approach that high level.

A similar article:

Will U.S. Conservatives Mount a Third-Party Challenge If Trump Is the Nominee?

The Republican elites, the professional corporate class, and neocons fucking hate Trump. This election could still get crazier.

If Trump keeps calling Rubio "boy" I hope Trump gets punched in the face by someone soon. Cut that fucking shit out, loser.

I can't believe Cruz responded to Trump saying "well, I don't like abortions, but you have to admit, the cancer screenings and everything else PP does is pretty terrific." with "I think all things PP does are bad!"

Who is this appealing to? What Republican is pro cervical cancer and pro people dying in the streets? Other than Ted Cruz I mean.

Iolo

Someone has convinced Rubio that going after Trump will help him

Alexandra Jaffe @ajjaffe

Rubio's recounting Trump breaks during db8—said he was having a meltdown & asked for a full-length mirror, "maybe cause his pants were wet."

Sean Sullivan ‏@WaPoSean 17m17 minutes ago

Rubio: "Donald Trump is the first guy that begged for Secret Service protection. First guy. He's never punched anyone in the face."

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel 15m15 minutes ago

Wow, Rubio spent the first 8 minutes of his speech mocking Trump. Only now does the stump return.

Benjy Sarlin ‏@BenjySarlin 10m10 minutes ago

I imagine Donald Trump is pretty proud watching Marco Rubio copy his entire playbook right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom