• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Oh, hey. It seems Bernie clarified his "ghetto" comment!

zGLDBkv.png

Much better.

LOL

What a dummy.

Kangi

Yes because you're completely writing off the growing number of voters (especially young ones) that are questioning the deep seated roots and problems that stem from a capitalistic society. Trying to paint this as a win/lose scenario just shows how narrow minded your thinking is. We should be pushing for more thought and ideas on how we can grow not trying to squash it by framing it like a football game.

I'm poking fun at throwing "political revolution" at anything and everything, not writing off his entire candidacy. Yes, I do hope he starts a trend of young voters who get active in this sort of thing, even if I don't like him as a candidate. But it's a silly thing to go on about toward a tongue-in-cheek jab at buzzwords.

He's shaken. He's being treated like a real candidate finally and he and his team have not adapted well.

Can't wait to see him attempt to pivot into a general election candidate. Dude's too far in the deep end to pull it back. IMO he flew too close to the sun during this primary.

East Lake

But, real talk, though. Bernie seriously pissed me off last night. He clearly has no understanding of how banks, international finance, fiscal policy, export credit financing, TARP, or anything related to "Wall Street" ACTUALLY works. He stood on national TV and went against Boeing. BOEING FOR FUCKS SAKE! Like...what?! How could you NOT see how utterly disastrous that's going to play in Washington State and specifically the Seattle area? !
NOT BOEING! It's not like they haven't threatened laborers or are a huge beneficiary of corporate welfare.

I didn't even think about him attacking Boeing when he still has to win Washington state. I wonder if that will move the polls at all. Seattle is still very liberal but Boeing is a pretty big deal there. Guess we'll see!

If the aerospace unions mobilize, Could do enough to get Clinton some delegates. I still think Sanders will win hands down, because Washington is one of the whitest states in the country. 78 thousand Boeing employees in Washington state.

CCS

Banned
I hope I wake up to as much of a glorious clusterfuck as I did this morning, When I read Sanders' ghetto comments I almost fell out of bed.

Crocodile

He hasn't done a good job since David Duke. Notice that's when his endorsements died off too.

I'm pissed that this seems to have been the comment/action that hurt him. Not because it shouldn't have hurt him (or any other candidate) - any one who did what he did deserves to get creamed over it. Rather I'm like "Really?" after the man apparently got better numbers after calling swaths of people rapists/murders, trying to ban a religion, advocate for war crimes, etc. Like all that shit is apparently "fine" but the KKK is where you draw the line America? Fuck off.

Bloomberg's article:

But when I look at the data, it’s clear to me that if I entered the race, I could not win. I believe I could win a number of diverse states -- but not enough to win the 270 Electoral College votes necessary to win the presidency.

In a three-way race, it’s unlikely any candidate would win a majority of electoral votes, and then the power to choose the president would be taken out of the hands of the American people and thrown to Congress. The fact is, even if I were to receive the most popular votes and the most electoral votes, victory would be highly unlikely, because most members of Congress would vote for their party’s nominee. Party loyalists in Congress -- not the American people or the Electoral College -- would determine the next president.

As the race stands now, with Republicans in charge of both Houses, there is a good chance that my candidacy could lead to the election of Donald Trump or Senator Ted Cruz. That is not a risk I can take in good conscience.

I have known Mr. Trump casually for many years, and we have always been on friendly terms. I even agreed to appear on “The Apprentice” -- twice. But he has run the most divisive and demagogic presidential campaign I can remember, preying on people’s prejudices and fears. Abraham Lincoln, the father of the Republican Party, appealed to our “better angels.” Trump appeals to our worst impulses.

Drek

NOT BOEING! It's not like they haven't threatened laborers or are a huge beneficiary of corporate welfare.

Do they still employ Americans? Yes. A lot of them.

Do they still pay some of the best manufacturing wages in the country? Sure do.

Are they still even, comparatively, pro labor when they could have moved production to Mississippi or Alabama and paid high school drop outs to build goddamn planes? Yes.

Does Boeing have major presences in several upcoming primary states? Yes (Washington and Missouri at least that I know of)

I mean, they're way down the list to go after for anything economically or politically. Just flat out dumb.

He's shaken. He's being treated like a real candidate finally and he and his team have not adapted well.
I can't believe people are scared of a man who
1) the RNC is scared to throw full support and money behind (since they think he'll lose).
2) is cheap as fuck and refuses to use any campaign tactics beyond 2 rallies per state.
3) probably won't get nearly as much fundraising on his own since he's been bragging about self funding for the past 6 months.
4) has terrible favorables in his own party and even worse favorables among key demographics.

Makai

Are they still even, comparatively, pro labor when they could have moved production to Mississippi or Alabama and paid high school drop outs to build goddamn planes? Yes.

Does Boeing have major presences in several upcoming primary states? Yes (Washington and Missouri at least that I know of)

I mean, they're way down the list to go after for anything economically or politically. Just flat out dumb.
The federal government sued Boeing for moving. This isn't way out of left field.

Kusagari

If Trump loses the nomination the KKK moment will be the defining moment of the collapse.

He got way too cocky at that point. Zero reason to take the risk.

A gem from brainchild in the debate thread:

Wonder why he didn't post that here.

Oh please.

I'm probably one of the most unabashedly dissenting posters in this community thread. You think I'm scared of some pathetic backlash from HillaryGAF?

I didn't post it here because I saw it there first, and I stand by what I said in this thread as well.

Anyone who's familiar with my posting history will vouch for me on this.

Drek

I'm pissed that this seems to have been the comment/action that hurt him. Not because it shouldn't have hurt him (or any other candidate) - any one who did what he did deserves to get creamed over it. Rather I'm like "Really?" after the man apparently got better numbers after calling swaths of people rapists/murders, trying to ban a religion, advocate for war crimes, etc. Like all that shit is apparently "fine" but the KKK is where you draw the line America? Fuck off.

I don't think it's so much as that is where the line is drawn, but at this point all other politicians want plenty of room to let the stink dissipate from that turd. As a result Trump can't get any endorsements or other political stunts lined up to get him back in the headlines.

The timing of the Duke/KKK incident couldn't have been worse for his optics. It was just before Super Tuesday, a R debate, a D debate, and then a string of other important states. Trump needs lulls in the press coverage so that he can offer up red meat for the 24 hr. news cycle to feed on. The actual news has been more than enough to sate them for the last few weeks however, so Trump's stunts can't buy him meaningful free air time like it used to.

East Lake

You don't seem too familiar with their operations.

More Bloomberg stuff from NYT.

The decision by Mr. Bloomberg, the former New York mayor who served three terms, ends months of intensive preparation for a candidacy. Convinced that a restive electorate was crying out for nonpartisan, technocratic government, he instructed his closest aides to set up the machinery for a long-shot billion-dollar campaign that would have subjected his image to a scorching political test.

They covertly assembled network of several dozen strategists and staff members, conducted polling in 22 states, drafted a website, produced television ads and set up campaign offices in two states — Texas and North Carolina — where the process of gathering petitions to put Mr. Bloomberg’s name on the ballot would have begun in days.

Mr. Bloomberg held extensive talks with Michael G. Mullen, the retired admiral and former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, about forming an independent ticket. Lawyers for Mr. Bloomberg had completed the process of vetting Mr. Mullen, and all that remained was for Mr. Bloomberg to ask formally that Mr. Mullen serve as his running mate.
Had both Mr. Trump and Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont appeared headed toward victory in the Republican and Democratic presidential primaries, Mr. Bloomberg was determined to run, according to his advisers, several of whom insisted on anonymity to speak candidly about confidential discussions.

But Mr. Bloomberg balked at the prospect of a race against Mr. Trump and Hillary Clinton, who has established a dominant lead over Mr. Sanders on the Democratic side. In his column, Mr. Bloomberg said he could not in good conscience enter a race that could lead to a deadlock in the Electoral College — and to the election of Mr. Trump, or perhaps Senator Ted Cruz of Texas.
A second poll, taken by Mr. Schoen from Feb. 28 to March 1, found that Mr. Trump was bleeding support with general election voters after a flailing debate performance and a disastrous interview in which he failed to disavow Mr. Duke’s support.

Sianos

the real test of the willpower of those calling for a "political revolution" will be in the midterms, as it always is

will they be able to brave the nigh-insurmountable trials of voting... during a time that isn't the presidential election?!

pigeon

Banned
Oh please.

I'm probably one of the most unabashedly dissenting posters in this community thread. You think I'm scared of some pathetic backlash from HillaryGAF?

I didn't post it here because I saw it there first, and I stand by what I said in this thread as well.

Anyone who's familiar with my posting history will vouch for me on this.

Can confirm that brainchild definitely did not avoid posting a semantic argument in PoliGAF out of fear of having to argue about it at length.

Whatever else we may disagree on, I can certainly agree on that!

I meant this in a nice way, so I really hope it comes across that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom